Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

"Superman has a Subaru." Ben Affleck is amazing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pretty good but short interview with Snyder on BvS http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/zack-snyder-says-theres-no-winning-anymore-for-superman-in-a131609

I like this quote:

quote:

When we find [Clark], he's been dealing with the everyday world of being a superhero, but there's a paradigm shift happening in that the unintended consequences of some of those rescues are starting to come into fruition. He's starting to see that every action has a reaction. Like, if you're just taking a cat out of a tree, you can't touch anything or the arborists will say, 'He damaged the tree branch when he got the cat down.' Or, 'The cat wasn't neutered, so now there's thousands of cats.' There's no winning anymore for Superman."

I'll take that as a metaphor for everyone who bitched about Man of Steel not being their Superman. :haw:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Sylvester Stalone has allegedly been cast in GotG2 which pretty much confirms that it's a stealth Tango & Cash sequel.

Whaaaaaat. This is amazing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TetsuoTW posted:

I can't wait until someone makes a superhero movie that actually is grim, dark, and gritty.

Blade? Also the Dolph Lundgren Punisher movie was pretty grim, dark, and gritty.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

So we could potentially have Affleck, Irons, Leto, and Simmons in a solo Batman movie with a script written by Terrio. That's a nice cast :allears: Add Margot Robbie and Will Smith, and cast Matt Damon as Hush. Or Jake Gyllenhaal as Todd/Red Hood.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Funnily enough, I shook hands and made small talk with Russel Crowe when he walked into the Starbucks my friend worked at in downtown Wheaton; he was riding on bike paths around Wheaton and Naperville, training for Man of Steel at the time. My buddy made him his drink :3: Pretty chill guy, but yeah, everyone in the Starbucks recognized him. Pretty sure everyone would recognize B-ROCK if he came in there too. I think Crowe went to that Starbucks a few times after I first saw him there actually. Only got to meet him the one time though. He's the only movie star I've ever actually met with and talked to in person.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Boob Marley posted:

You are right.
And the mysterious idiot who made that abomination of a table got the memo. Whoever he was...

Did you make this? Because it's dumb.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I really hope they utterly subvert the Civil War comic and it's Stark who gets shot.

This is what I'm hoping for too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I hope they subvert themselves and Black Panther shoots them both.

That would be pretty rad if Black Panther kills Cap, Bucky, and Stark.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Boob Marley posted:

You're goddamn right it is.
And that's what makes it fascinating and hilarious to me. For the past 3 years DC has stood by the declaration that it's Man of Steel is their official cinematic universe and Nolan's films mean nothing to them moving forward.

Maybe... just maybe. Hear me out now. Maybe the Nolan films were proposed as a self-contained trilogy (likely by Nolan) and were never in the plans to kickstart a shared universe type thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Boob Marley posted:

Ideally... but if BvS doesn't make a billion dollars, who knows what will happen?!
This is the same studio that promised us a Justice League movie for 2015, then pussied out and gave us Batman v Superman. Then it pussied out and pushed that it back to May 2016. Then it pussied out again when it realized it would go up against Marvel's Mr. America 3 and moved it to the ever-so-lucrative-for-films month of March.
Oh, then it's revealed that all the tension between the two title characters will go away in the third act so they can team up and fight a Doomsday.
Outlook not so good, bruh.

WB didn't promise anything in 2015. There might have been rumors of Justice League coming in 2015, but they probably came from unfounded sources. Those rumblings all were likely happening during production of Man of Steel as well. I call bullshit. WB/DC have been trying to get a Batman/Superman movie together for the longest time and Man of Steel somehow ended up being the perfect setup for that. Batman v Superman was originally supposed to to come out in May as well. It only changed release dates to March, i.e., one time, and it do so because it seems like Marvel wanted to play chicken. DC budged for very obvious reasons; Marvel bullied them out because they have since become a box office juggernaut. They didn't "pussy out" bruh. And you're probably going to be surprised about how significant Doomsday is to the overall, more important narrative arc in BvS, from what I've been reading online from those who have claimed to have seen the movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I have no idea where this came from but I love the Cavill bit

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/708085828984016896

:haw:

It came from this LATimes interview http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-ca-hc-batman-v-superman-20160313-story.html

It's a really good interview. I like this choice bit, because Nolan is totally right:

Zack Snyder posted:

It's interesting. When I had my initial meeting with Chris Nolan about doing "Man of Steel," he said to me, "'Watchmen' is a movie you made too early." Because that movie was written deep into comic-book culture, as a way of exploring the why of heroes within pop culture. "Deadpool" shows that audiences have now gotten to the point where they can understand the satire of the genre. Before that, audiences were like, "I'm not ready for that. I'm not there yet."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

:allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

This poo poo is hilarious. Marvel movies are basically the TGI Fridays/Applebees/Chili's of cinema. And there's nothing wrong with that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Plus now it all makes sense why I like the MCU because I'm the person who actually likes going to Applebees

I like Chili's chicken fingers every now and then because sometimes I wanna eat like a 10 year old.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

There better be a good explanation as to why that confrontation takes place on a loving airport tarmac otherwise drat, what a boring loving backdrop. Doesn't help that it looks like it was shot with minimum effort/for efficiency reasons too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Boob Marley posted:

Yeah, real good critical buzz...

Rumor of the Day: Why Dawn of Justice is making Warner Bros. 'nervous'
Well, apparently, test screenings for the flick aren't going quite as well as the studio hoped, and some insiders are convinced that's going to breed changes in the Warner Bros. superhero slate. Here's Drew McWeeny from HitFix talking about the issue:

"Warner is a little bit worried. This movie is starting to scare them. It's scaring them because they're showing it to people now, people are actually laying eyes on the film now, and the response has not been what I think they wanted. If I were going to lay a bet on how it may happen, Suicide Squad, they1'll go all-in on. They'll push all their chips in on that and I think Suicide Squad's going to be a hit for them. I think Wonder Woman will be finished the way they're working on it right now and they'll release it. I would be surprised if Justice League starts shooting when they say it's going to, and I would be equally surprised if Zack Snyder directed it."

http://www.blastr.com/2016-2-16/rumor-day-why-dawn-justice-making-warner-bros-nervous

REPORT: "BATMAN V SUPERMAN" RESPONSE COULD LEAD TO MAJOR SHIFTS IN DC FILMS PLANS
The internal response to high-profile DC Comics-based feature "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" isn't what Warner Bros. had been hoping for thus far.

According to a video report published Thursday from HitFix film reporter Drew McWeeny. This reaction has led McWeeny to the conclusion that if "Batman v Superman" isn't a major hit, it'll mean dramatic shifts in the DC Films master plan.

"This movie is starting to scare [Warner Bros.]," McWeeny said, citing unnamed sources. "Response has not been exactly what I think they wanted."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/report-batman-v-superman-response-could-lead-to-major-shifts-in-dc-films-plans

lmao at cherrypicking unfounded rumors, more so from a guy who has a clear bias against the direction WB/DC is taking their cinematic universe.

quote:

Anyways, I had a lot to think about during my 6 hour vacation and I reading back through all the posts I think I've finally gotten the gist of it with these two revelations:

1.) The MCU sucks and is bullshit because its fun and any idiot can enjoy it.
2.) Man of Steel is top level cinema because it just looks so cinematic, you know, like a movie, and it stimulates your intellect by forcing you to think of increasingly convoluted reasons for why you like because Dark Knight is the poo poo, gently caress you Marvel, you don't know about blowing up cities like we do, DC gets it!

Make another chart depicting this difference :jerkbag:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Boob Marley posted:

All this talk about McWeeny's stuff being debunked as fake and gay rumors and yet not a single source.

I love knowing that while BvS is in theaters so many of you will be white-knuckling it through every line of cliche, contrived dialogue, and every moment of awkwardly forced tension doing mental gymnastics to convince yourself that it is great.

McWeeny's source was McWeeny, i.e., it's likely he got that "scoop" by scraping it out of his own hairy rear end.

Also, lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Guyver 2 Dark Hero is legit awesome.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Some new footage in the final Korean BvS trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez_TA97jyGM

I'm super excited to see Wonder Woman on the big screen next week you guys :neckbeard:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

The description says it's an unfinished version, maybe it'll be better in the final cut.

I hope so, I couldn't hear any of the dialogue towards the end.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I don't know where this is from but :allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Doflamingo posted:

Reviews are starting to pour in for BvS:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice/

Surprise, it's crap!

It's still likely going to destroy the box office so meh. It won't have legs, but it'll probably be front-loaded.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

One positive takeaway I've been reading that seems pretty consistent amidst all the pre-release backlash is Gal Gadot rocks as Wonder Woman. I'm a bigger fan of Wonder Woman comics than Batman or Superman, so hearing that is good enough for me :) Gives me hope that Patty Jenkins will make Gadot's solo debut a homerun.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Speaking from purely personal experience (when I went online earlier today to see if I could get a ticket for tomorrow, which is opening say here in Australia) it's doing good business but it's nowhere near doing Avengers business. None of the sessions in the biggest cinema in my city were sold out. I would have had real problems trying to find a ticket for the first Avengers movie the day before its release.

:shrug: Almost every news outlet/blog reported that BvS already pre-sold more movie tickets on Fandango than any other superhero movie in history.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gorn Myson posted:

They're okay, but you just kind of know that in a Marvel movie they would be more emotional and meaningful.

Heh.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

In actual Marvel news rumours are starting to gain traction that Elizabeth Debicki is playing Death in Guardians 2.

Awesome casting.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Plotwise, the Star Wars baddies' targets were highly specific:

"This fierce machine which you have built, upon which we stand, will bring an end to the Senate! To their cherished fleet!"

The billions of other casualties were, in fact, 'collateral damage' with no real bearing on the plot.

I was going to point this out, but you beat me to it :argh:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Really hope the solo Wonder Woman film will be good. :ohdear:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

First image from the Wonder Woman movie is out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheBizzness posted:

HBOs animated Spawn series loving owns and it deserves a proper ending :colbert:

I agree with this. That series is legit. It's one of the few physical DVDs that I own.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

oddium posted:

what's the storage space on those metaphysical dvds

4.7GBČ?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I always liked the look of Spawn. Never read the comics, but for some reason I bought all those drat action figures. I think they're forever stuck in boxes.

These were neat though.

Snowman_McK posted:

As a child I spent an unhealthy amount of time on the McFarlane Toys website.

Us 3 probably would have been good friends as kids. I always bought 2 of every Spawn figure so I could keep one in the box and have one open. All the figures I opened have since been passed down to my cousins and/or donated. All my boxed McFarlane figures are in storage. Last I looked, most of them aren't really worth anything haha. I think one that's worth the most is a 12" Medieval Spawn. I bought it for I think $25 and now it's worth $100? The Metal Gear Solid McFarlane figures I have might be worth a lot too I guess. All the rest are just relics of my childhood.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Everyone name a movie you've watched more than twenty times that wasn't something constantly on TV like Just One Of The Guys.

Braveheart. I loving love Braveheart. I don't now exactly how many times I've watched it, but I know it's for sure over 20. I still even have my Dual-VHS widescreen copy that I bought from my local Blockbuster with money I made from mowing lawns.

Jenny Angel posted:

My dad's seen Notting Hill at least 20 times, probably many many more. One time he had it on and I asked him what the name of Hugh Grant's character was. He shrugged and said, "Who gives a drat?"

Notting Hill is a great movie. I still laugh every time Hugh Grant offers Julia Roberts apricots soaked in honey, or when Spike complains about the yogurt tasting like mayo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yoshifan823 posted:

He's also saying that the unannounced event film WB is working on is The Tomb Raider, which I completely buy, especially if they've got Daisy Ridley onboard.

I wasn't originally sold on Daisy being the new Lara Croft, but after watching TFA a few more times, I guess I can see it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

site posted:

I hope Daisy's not in tomb raider because that movie will suck and she doesn't deserve to get drug down so early in her career.

That's why part of me didn't really want her for the role. She doesn't really seem like a good fit anyways, and there's a high probability the movie will be terrible. The director onboard doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the project. Give the lead role to like, Kaya Scodelario instead. Worst case is Daisy misses out on a successful franchise if somehow the movie doesn't suck, but I mean, she already got her big break with Star Wars so she can be all "whatevs" and continue to make a bajillion dollars as Rey.

Rhyno posted:

She has exactly the amount of skill to be Lara Croft.

I'm not saying she's not capable for the role. I'm just saying she doesn't really seem like a good fit to me. I say this as a fan of Daisy and a fan of the rebooted Tomb Raider games.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I'm saying she is a wooden, untalented actress who was cast because of her vague resemblance to two prior SW actresses.

Perfect for Lara Croft.

I thought she was fine in TFA :shobon:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWvzhfI4SuM

Owns.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Fassbender was the best part of 300 and had the best laconic lines.

Agreed. He had the best action bits in a movie full of great ones.

The Cameo posted:

I feel like people also forget that Snyder attracts really ridiculous talent to movies that ostensibly these people would never attach themselves to. He's very good at convincing actors to go on his crazy adventure - just as a random assortment, the man's worked with Sarah Polley, Ving Rhames, Oscar Isaac, Jon Hamm, Michael Fassbender, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Lena Headey, Hugo Weaving, Carla Gugino, Kevin Costner, Dominic West, Scott Glenn, Michael Shannon, Laurence Fishburne, Billy Crudup, Patrick Wilson, Jackie Earle Haley, Jena Malone, Emily Browning, Diane Lane, Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, Chris Meloni, Geoffrey Rush, Sam Neill, Helen Mirren, Joel Edgerton, Jesse Eisenberg, Ben Affleck, Jeremy Irons, Ezra Miller, Holly Hunter, and now J.K. Simmons.

I mean how in the hell did he talk Holly Hunter into a role in a goddamn capeman fighting cowlman movie. I'm still astounded he talked Sarah Polley into doing a zombie movie in a time when 1) zombies were not a big thing, and 2) she was avoiding studio pictures almost purposely (she hadn't done a studio picture since Go in 1999).

Motherfucker even beat Steve McQueen to the Fassbender punch. 300 was Fassbender's first non-TV work. Like, that's a holy poo poo prescient eye for talent, especially when you realize that he's the "fight in the shade" guy who has a lot of little star moments sprinkled throughout the film. He gave Oscar Isaac a juicy villain role when the only two people prior had seen anything in him were Ridley Scott and Catherine Hardwicke (and God drat, does Isaac relish playing Blue. He has a loving BALL filling in that character).

And he talked Affleck into playing Batman. That's clearly on the "worked out well" side of things.

Plus he clearly has made the right choice with Gadot being Wonder Woman, based off critical reception to her.

WB might just stick with him because he gives the studio access to people who would probably say no otherwise, no matter what insanity he tells them they're about to do.

All those actors are attracted to Snyder probably because he deadlifts :allears:

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The production of Gambit must truly be hosed.

Tatum shoulda consulted with Ryan Reynolds on how to get poo poo done.

• Locked thread