Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I suspect that Suicide Squad will not be for me. It looks like it's trying so hard to be edgy, which is more than a bit cringey. I'm sure the narrative could be solid and the pacing good and the story intriguing, but the characters look just on the wrong side of juvenile. Joel Kinneman has his gruff tough guy act artificially cranked up all the way, Will Smith looks like he's trying as hard as he can to look cool but ends up looking like Will Smith, and Margot Robbie's performance just seems obnoxious in all the trailers and TV spots so far to me. Not in that her character is supposed to be obnoxious to others around her, but that the "We're bad guys" and "Just kidding, that's not what the voices in my head said!" rub me entirely the wrong way.

Then again, it's got a crocodile man who eats people and a literal witch and Jai Courtney drinking a beer in an alleyway in that one shot was amusing, so not writing it off entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

I just found out there's a tick movie while also finding out patrick warburton isn't being given another shot at the role.

This is the first time I've gone from hype to angry in literally less than a second.

It's a TV show pilot with Amazon Prime. If the audience digs it it goes to series.

The early reports for the show were confusing, saying that Warburton was going to be back, but later saying he was not in due to scheduling conflicts. Not sure if those stories were just wishful thinking or not.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This made me laugh really hard, thank you

Re: Tick's costume. When I was a kid, there was a commercial for some kind of play-doh type thing that was sparkly and had a sandy-type texture to it. I can't remember what it was called, but Tick's costume appears to be made out of it. That or paper mache.

Floam. Have definitely heard others make the comparison.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 2, 2016

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hopefully this one doesn't have him mowing down thugs with machine guns. #notmytick

Edlund's been talking up the different direction of the show. If you're expecting a direct adaptation of any of the previous iterations, check those expectations now. Check out this interview for more.

Anyway, despite that Empire review linked earlier most reviews seem to be fairly negative for Suicide Squad, calling it a mess beholden to corporate shared universe necessities and Snyder's stylings. Sounds like those "adding more action" reshoots they went back for made the 3rd act really bloated and cut down on their time to do proper service to character.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 2, 2016

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Oh boy, this again. Wasn't this rumor debunked basically immediately after it was made?

No. The rumor was that they were reshooting to add more humor, everyone involved in the production came out and said that it was actually to punch up the action.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

Portman seemed so completely unenthusiastic to be in Thor 2. I'm sure there could be several reasons, but If they bring back the character, I hope they recast her with Kiera Knightley.

Funny, I was also unenthusiastic about Portman being in Thor 2.

Easily the couple with the least chemistry in any superhero movie. And that's saying a lot.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Good news, folks! Doctor Strange has been rated PG-13 for...

Latino Review posted:

...kaleidoscopic galactic intensity and other-dimensional psychotropic violence.

gently caress yeah.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 15, 2016

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's lookin' like Stephen Lang at the end there.

Hugh Jackman for Cable.

Interesting that they never dropped "X-Men" or "Wolverine" at all, and just one reference to "mutants". I could easily see a general audience member watching this trailer and having no idea it was a superhero film.

Gets me intrigued, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I preferred it the first time around in Last Crusade.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Timby posted:

There's absolutely nothing memorable about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XVWV5td7xc

That Last Crusade bit is also used in Williams' Nixon score, and the piece from Force Awakens is extremely similar to the invasion of Naboo from Phantom Menace.

Yep, definitely a better match. So close it's got to be intentional.

https://youtu.be/KxC8IqnVUQI?t=170
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqKtype7Kk

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

A bunch of people have come out and said the Batman thing is complete and total bullshit.

Not that that makes it bullshit, but yeah.

Ellis just followed up on his comments saying that he has no idea what the state of the script is, just that he was relaying thirdhand information he'd heard.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Great, replace one hack with another. At least Singer only hosed up one franchise.

It's ridiculous that they wouldn't just being in a new creative team from scratch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cool. Was worried they were going to shy away from the original design to avoid Millennium Falcon comparisons.

Still super cautious with my optimism.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Singer tried to resurrect a dead body with a defibrillator, which made it jump and show promising signs of life. It was a noble effort but an impossible task.

Trying too hard to tie it to the original films sunk it. If he's had a better script that wasn't obsessed with nostalgia, plus just a touch more action it could have been great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Violator posted:

You should see Spy Kids 8: Kid Harder in 4K! It really comes alive!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFoZz6PG72k

Edit: Christ, I always thought the Spy Kids movies were all super cheap made for Robert Rodriguez to have fun with his kids. The budget was almost $40 million.

:stare:

Holy poo poo. I wonder where all that money really went, because that's some serious $15k budget Asylum poo poo that wound up on screen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's so great about Vulture is that he's an old man who dresses up like a giant bird to commit crimes and fight a teenaged kid. Imagine your grandpa sitting at home sewing his own green bird costume that he's planning on robbing banks with all the while being so self-assured thinking "Yes, this will really intimate them!". The costume should really embrace that inherent silliness, then subvert it with making the old man in the silly costume quite deadly and technologically capable, to Peter's surprise.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Ego-bot posted:

I'm already sick of baby Groot.

Same, but everywhere else on the internet everyone is jerking off over him.

Dug the trailer quite a bit otherwise.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 4, 2016

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
P sure that Peter wouldn't want all of his enemies to have access to his web fluid at their local OfficeMax.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Proposition Joe posted:

Why is Spider-Man hanging out in Washington D.C?

School trip? Visiting the Captain America museum?

Either way, there's a very small area he can web-sling in. It'd be very novel.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Reminds me of the comic where he was in the suburbs and could webswing his way to the city

Or when Kaine Parker relocated to Houston and realized that the skyline was much smaller than NYC

I mean, even getting from Queens to the city would be very silly, it's not too far off from the suburbs in terms of average building height. Hell, Amazing Spider-Man had his home located in Woodside, which essentially is the suburbs with two-story houses with yards and such. Webslinging underneath the train structure would be only real way to go, which he actually did in Spider-Man. But hitching a ride on the top of the train would probably be faster and be a whole lot easier.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gotta point out yet again that the comic books figured this out years ago by giving all the guys who could easily change the world for the better but don't membership in the Illuminati.

I don't know why writers jump through all those hoops when this explanation makes far more sense:

These super-geniuses are just people. And people are petty, selfish, and short-sighted.

e: Also, gotta point out that Snyder's Watchmen is consistently ahead of its time with this kind of stuff, bringing in the subplot of Adrian and Manhattan using the latter's powers to solve the energy crisis and attempt to bring about world peace, then tying that into an ending that was much better than the book's. For the handful of terrible decisions made in the making of that film (casting Malin Akerman, all of Matthew Goode's character choices, fetishizing the fight scenes, Hallelujah, changing the wording and context of "I did it 35 minutes ago") it's becoming more and more clear with each passing mediocre and uninspired superhero film that it's destined to be a classic misunderstood in its time. If it was released today people would worship it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 15, 2016

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I will take one ticket to Thor: Ragnarock please.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I would argue that this is, in fact, a low-quality teaser :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wonder what happened with Flash before he invented a wildly expensive looking tech suit to harness his powers. Was he just running so fast he was bumping into things, then realized he needed armor? Did the electricity get all over his body and make his hair stand up and skin itch so he made conductivity wires? Were bugs smashing into his face so he needed to make a nice thick helmet?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, the core idea of "violent alien crash lands on Earth and creates a symbiosis with a human who must struggle with his post-symbiotic dual identities" is a story that could easily carry itself, connection to the Spider-verse or no. They just need to find the right story for it (spoiler: they won't) and run with the core concept, not worrying about continuity or canon. My pitch would be that Carnage crash lands on Earth pursued by Venom, and they play out an interpersonal interstellar rivalry using human beings as their weapons of choice.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Flash Venom is pretty great, and better than Eddie "Lethal Protector" Brock

Would be very, legitimately amazing if they went with Flash and there was a $100m+ R-rated blockbuster comic book action film starring Tony Revolori as Venom.

They'll do something dumb with a big beefy white dude instead. But still.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Equeen posted:

I hope the Shazam movie exists at all.

WB has made a lot of really poor decisions with its DC films so far. By far the worst decision they could make, however, would be to somehow let their giant superhero movie starring Dwayne Johnson fall apart. They need to bend over backward for the man and do whatever he wants.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can't stand the F&F films, personally. I know that sets me apart from CineD and, well, the rest of the world, but dammit I just plain don't like 'em.

Like, I get that they have a lot of merit as just the biggest dumbest over-the-top action franchise out there. But the celebration of meathead bro culture is just too much for me, and their earnestness goes so far beyond dorky I can't believe there are folks out there who take them seriously as "cool" movies with enviable characters and lifestyles. All the "tough guys" just come across as corny 40-something cheeseball dad types to me. Or maybe it's because I never gave a poo poo about cars and roll my eyes at car culture? At no level do I connect with those films, beyond appreciating how audacious they are from a distance.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

earnestness in the face of being considered dorky or cheesy by cynical audiences is a good quality i wish modern comic book movies had more of

I don't disagree. But if the X-Men series is one side of the spectrum, embarrassed by what it is and constantly apologizing for it, the F&F series is way on the opposite side of the spectrum. I understand that the contrast must be refreshing to most, but I feel that striking a balance is important. Clearly I'm in the minority when it comes to applying that to F&F though.

Raimi's Spider-Man series is a good example, I feel. The first film was a little too embarrassed to be a comic book movie, the second struck a perfect balance, and the third went too far and went straight into over-the-top melodrama territory. I think the Marvel films tend to strike a pretty good balance most of the time, which is why I can appreciate and like all of them significantly, even if they aren't really remarkable.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 27, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Right. But then compare that to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEZBhL5lpqg

The final film went with something that had to be grounded in an Xtreme power suit.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 27, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Just out of curiosity, and so I know we are talking on the same level, how many of the fast and furious films have you actually seen?

5, 6, and part of 7.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He was given the choice between the two roles and picked the one he thought was more interesting. Playing an anti-hero would allow him to stretch his acting chops a little more than playing a do-gooder.

Think about a rough, charming morally-ambiguous Rock going up against, say, Armie Hammer as a gosh-golly perfect do-gooder.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
At the very least as a continuation of Tony's story I love where it's going. Tony's selfish nature proves again and again that he's not capable of being the hero he wants to be. So he's realized that in order to protect the world, he can't just build a better Iron Man. He has to build a better Tony Stark. So he finds a genius young kid with superpowers and tries to make him a good man. Fantastic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

If revived Superman doesn't have a terrible mullet, the movie is ruined.

I have good news. Leaked concept art and set photos have shown that he does. Well, good news for you. The rest of us are going to have to stare at that monstrosity.

It really does confirm to me that Snyder's view of superheroes is stuck firmly in the mid 90s .

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Well, that's a new one.

Uh, really? 90s Frank Miller is all over BVS and MoS, both visually and thematically. The sort of Xtreme dourness and anger is straight out of comics of that era, and both his Batman and Superman characters embody how Dark Knight Returns portrayed them. This is the guy who put Doomsday of all characters in a live action film, and used The Death of Superman as a main reference point for his his Batman/Superman showdown, alongside a Kryptonite-laden armored Batsuit? The guy who started Batman as a grizzled veteran and used Jason Todd's crowbar-beating death straight out of A Death in the Family as a main plot point in the film? You've never made the connection that the guy leans heavily on that dark, angry, gritty 90s comic book era as a significant influence?

e: the mullet-rocking Supes picture from JL

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

It's pointless to say so but most of those things are from the mid 80's, not the 90's.

Death of Superman was 92. 88 is close enough to the 90s for Death in the Family. And Dark Knight Returns influenced the portrayal of Batman and Superman for the next decade, despite being 86. It really doesn't diminish my point at all.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

But that doesn't diminish his point. Just ask him!

I really don't see how comics produced just before the 90s and heavily influencing comics for the entire decade of the 90s somehow means that Snyder couldn't be stuck in the 90s? It's the decade where the angry/badass/gritty Superman thrived, and the 2000s brought him back to a more balanced and optimistic character.

Equeen posted:

lmao that's a photoshopped pic

Whoops! It was being reported a few months ago as real some places. I do believe there is still some concept art though, but maybe that was part of the same round of fakes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Drifter posted:

I don't understand what half of that means.

Means we're not getting a third Conjuring. Bummer. I quite liked 70s Married Couple X-Files.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Oddly, Iron Man never gives us a full view of him holding the car:

http://i.imgur.com/WLNmNa6.gifv

Wow. I clearly don't remember Iron Man all that well. No memory of that whatsoever.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My issue with daredevil is that he's a blind guy that can see. It'd be like a guy with no arms that has two arms.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wait a minute. In Spider-Man: Homecoming, Tony Stark founds damage control, right? Presumably for the profit of Stark Industries? And he's in and Iron Man suit causing all the damage in the first place? Is Tony Stark wrecking the city intentionally for profit :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, Kristin Schaal from 2002.

She would've been good for a version of the character at some point. But she really doesn't work for the character in the (terrific) current comic which I assume this version will be based on.

• Locked thread