Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And now is Affleck's turn

Is it just me, or does Affleck seem just a little bit sloshed in this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's row to hoe. Who hoes a road?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's the next logical step: reboot the series before the last movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I always just figured the Joker was some no one who had some kind of vague, unfocused but not outright dangerous mental problems until Batman came about, and his insanity crystallized around that event. Like, maybe he was a bit unsettling before, kind of a loner, the kind of guy co-workers talk about behind his back, but not really noteworthy, and then one day he hears about a guy dressing up as a bat to fight crime and he just gets up and silently marches into the bathroom to slash his face up because I guess that's just what's happening now.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New Civil War trailer is really good.

Yup, definitely a little bit excited about this.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I'm fuckin' down for a Spider-Man who actually looks like a kid in a homemade costume. It's adorable.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

Didn't that guy die in the last one?

No, that was Strucker.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's the closest thing I've ever seen to a live action version of the old Ralph Bakshi cartoons and that's awesome.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Whenever Superman farts his costume inflates like the Michellin Man.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Codependent Poster posted:

Do his super farts smell really good or really bad?

I mean, it depends on his diet. That's just common sense. He may be super, but he's still a man, with a man's broccoli farts.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Batman v Superman's gonna have to be pretty fantastic to top Deadpool, as far as I'm concerned. Probably my favourite comic book movie so far.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Burkion posted:

Yeah, as said above- and it's still ridiculous that out of all of the studios that have had Marvel properties, Elektra is the only attempt.

DC has tried in the past. They've been trying. And we're going to get Wonder Woman years before any female led Marvel film.

Marvel does have Jessica Jones and Agent Carter, though. Also Agents of SHIELD, which has a lot of strong female characters. Yeah, they're not blockbuster movies, but they're out there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

(Likewise DC has Supergirl, although that's not the 'shared universe' bullshit but I don't give a drat.)

It's part of a shared unimultiverse.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Burkion posted:

TV shows DC stomps Marvel's face in [...] with their recent shows

Just gonna have to very strongly, yet politely disagree with this.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Burkion posted:

You realize I'm not speaking about QUALITY yes?

Well, in the context of the conversation I assumed you were talking about EQUALITY. Other than Supergirl, I really don't think the DC shows do a better job of writing strong female characters than Marvel.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I admit to liking the smartassed Supergirl they have going on there, especially given historically what a non-character she is.

I think the character is elevated by how good Melissa Benoist is in the role. Without her to sell the emotional core of the character, I could see it falling into the CW-esque melodrama that the DC shows court a bit too closely.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I loved Watchmen for, if nothing else, the traumatized looks on the faces of the children leaving the theatre afterwards.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Take it from me, a guy who cares about some comics: care about some comics and don't care about other comics!

Or don't, whatever, I'm not the boss of you.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

achillesforever6 posted:

Plus now it all makes sense why I like the MCU because I'm the person who actually likes going to Applebees

All comic book movies are McDonald's. The only difference is that some of them are McCafe, with that veneer of respectability you get from selling coffee and danishes instead of cheeseburgers and hot pies. But it's still McDonald's.

Except Catwoman. Catwoman's the dumpster out back of a McDonald's.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Kurzon posted:

My big complaint with the movie is that Superman always has this glum expression.

I never read it as glum so much as mildly concerned that he had to poo.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Pretty sure there was outcry about Michael Clarke Duncan playing Kingpin.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RBA Starblade posted:

I have no idea what that means

Oh, thank God I'm not the only one. I thought I'd had a stroke or something for a moment there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Doflamingo posted:

Reviews are starting to pour in for BvS:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice/

Surprise, it's crap!

Netflix it is, then.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gorn Myson posted:

Just saw Batman VS Superman.

Batman wins via roll up after Doomsday distracts Superman. All that build up and we'll probably have to wait for the sequel for a clean win.

loving bullshit.

But how are the quips? Are they on point?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They look like the costumes from the Lost in Space movie to me.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I find Cara Delevingne's eyebrows unsettling. They make her look constantly reproving and I've done nothing to deserve that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wait, do they really kill Jimmy Olsen?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mierenneuker posted:

Note that this Jimmy Olsen is some kind of CIA agent posing as a photo journalist. You wouldn't even know his name if it wasn't for the credits.

Oh. Okay.

It's gonna be so surreal when Deadpool turns out to be the best comic book movie of 2016.

Deadpool.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

The Marvel vs DC thing is just fuckin' tiring on both sides. It's even more pathetic than console fanboying because there's no actual investment there. Marvel doing well isn't going to kill DC films or vice-versa.

Just generally

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mr Hootington posted:

Except Avengers movies.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wait, someone flamethrowers Ma Kent?!? What the ever loving hell?!? I'm starting to feel like I should see this movie just to witness firsthand how insane it is.

Like...is this Zach Snyder's complete emotional breakdown in film form or something?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

So is it bad that I can admit that DCU films are generally more skillfully made, but I just don't like them as much as MCU films?

This is a weird thing to even think about, much less feel bad about. Like what you like. Despite what you seem to have gleaned from here, there's nothing really wrong with the MCU movies. They're not facile, homogeneous, or artless, they're just different, both from the DCU and from each other. Even the worst of them has something to recommend it. Who cares what you like? Are you worried Cinema Discusso bullies are going to beat you up and steal your lunch money?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, let's be honest, nobody really cared about Thor 2 one way or the other.

I did. I mean, it wasn't fantastic, but it had some of the best design work I've seen in comic book movies and I dug how they developed Loki and his relationships to other characters.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...if absolutely nothing else, Thor 2 has Idris Elba murdering a spaceship singlehanded, and that's not nothing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Boob Marley posted:

I will never be this chill. It's too late for me. My contempt for the DC cinematic universe and all its sycophants has consumed my heart.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Thor doesn't learn how to accept responsibility, he learns humility. In fact, by the time Thor 2 rolls around, Thor actively refuses his responsibilities as the heir of Asgard.

EDIT: Also, Thor isn't the hero of Thor. Loki is.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 28, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...they ganked Jimmy Olsen. I'm depressed by this movie and I haven't even seen it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And didn't Grifter somehow end up with DC? Was that a similar arrangement?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I still have my Solid Snake and predator action figures facing off against the queen alien somewhere in my basement. Freddy and Jason and Spawn are on my upstairs bookshelf. They all need to be propped up because McFarlane toys can't stand for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Tom Hiddleston says that he will be in Thor 3, but unless something changes with Infinity War, it will be his last time in the MCU.

They're gonna offer him a lot more money.

• Locked thread