Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Are there any (not racist) ideas about what should happen with the refugees already in Germany?

I'd assume house them, educate them, and employ them. Have you actually looked at the different parties' ideas yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Camps require infrastructure to administer. Barbed wire, chemical components, rations, all of which could be produced in Greece and itemized to Germany whilst still utilizing slavic wage-slaves.

these guard towers ain't gonna build themselves

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

edit LIBERALS

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

doverhog posted:

Because the political process is there to handle these things. You have elections, and the people voted in, with the mandate of the people, direct the machine of violence that is the police and army. '

If the current government fails at that, you remedy it at the next election.

If you skip that, you reduce it to gangs having gang wars on the street.

Who are you responding to? What if the winning party's platform is "liquidate everyone who isn't us"?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Hey look, someone even caught it on camera https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM6X_wdZJaE&t=18s

this is straight-up me in abuja btw

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The last three Democratic presidents of the US, 20 years of leadership, have been people calling for moderate unity; it doesn't seem to have had many lasting effects.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

uncop posted:

Actually as far as I know, central banks have always been more or less independent and in the olden days government literally created money out of nowhere. A remnant of that is that in many countries the government can still mint coins, like the "trillion dollar coin" Obama was rumored to be going to mint at one point. The ability to create money was taken from the governments and given to central banks to force an accounting trick where we get this increasing public debt tally, which is completely unnecessary when the "debt" is not actually owed to anyone and the state, not any bond market, sets the interest for the loans.

Also I mentioned bank lending as an alternative, which worked for the 90's and 00's. The problem with lending it's only economically stable up to the amount of inflation. You cant have an indefinitely increasing debt, and once you stop borrowing, even if you aren't paying them back yet, you get a rapid economic contraction, i.e. 2007. This is why I don't take banks as a long-term solution and in fact think that non-investment banking should be nationalized as a public service. (As many, including the Bank of England, know by now, savings don't act as a vehicle for lending, they act as a ransom for when bad investments fail. The bigger the banking sector is, the more investments become bad due to them depending on an ever-increasing debt load in the economy. The rich know that government bonds, even at negative yields, are the superior savings account, because states are more trustworthy than banks.)

In the case of the private sector, you have to stop borrowing from the private sector when your income, debt payments excluded, is getting unsustainably low. In the case of the public sector, you techincally can have an ever-increasing debt load, but realistically have to stop borrowing from the private sector when too much of your yearly economic product goes straight in the hands of unproductive rentiers and the economy goes into a spiral of reduced growth and increasing need for annual public funds. And when your economy, either the public or the private, is heavily (let's say over 100% per sector) indebted, it's a difficult operation to reduce the debt load without triggering a recession.

The state borrowing from the private sector is economically different and also strictly inferior to the state borrowing from itself. We have a system in place that obfuscates this fact. Government bonds are issued as welfare for pension funds, banks and the rich in general. In the current digital age, we might as well have 'saving-as-a-service', where anyone can put digital money inside and get fractional zero-yield digital bonds, and exchange their bonds for money in a matter of milliseconds. Have the state issue the regular 1-year and 10-year bonds fractionally according to the demand of actual people, and buy them back at lower yields from people that need their money. And while they're at it, stop pretending that bond markets set the interest of government debt. You wouldn't even have to buy any banks or add new regulation, banks' role as the handler of savings would evaporate purely through market forces.

a good post

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Someone on the news is shocked that everyone she knows who supported Sarkozy has switched to Melenchon. I'm kinda shocked too; where's the crossover?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Wouldn't that make Macron the obvious choice?

edit unless this is like Operation Chaos and they're just boosting someone they legit hate

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I know several JWs that maintain two facebooks and essentially two separate lives for church and work/secular life. I only have one friend who chose to be fully ostracized, her parents are nice people but love Jesus more than their kid.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

aaaaahahahahahaha

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

I feel at home in the EU thread now that the US has sent a huge idiot as it’s ambassador.

just pm me next time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

But it works. And it has known NATO identification markers on it. Its the most usable piece of the missile which is also the hardest to find.
While some random nazis dont have the capability to use it, Russia does.

thanks louise

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Private Speech posted:

Because it's so much more enlightened.

sidelong glance at Denmark, Germany (austerity-wise), Italy, UK and the Netherlands (Wilders and burqa bans)

e: or the French burqa bans, for that matter

you sure read a lot into that joke

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Junior G-man posted:

Eurozone Number getting very sad:

wow sorry but sounds like y'all should try tightening your belts a bit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Candles $3,600

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gently caress off Batman posted:

It's Scotland op, not Serbia. Serbia isn't yet a member of the African Union.

I always get my Baltics confused

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

EU integration happens no matter what the polls say. the legal setup is for EU law to gradually supersede and replace national law as it expands in an organic way. there's no need to actually run on EU integration, it happens more or less on its own.
what's the next shoe to drop in your opinion, especially elections-wise? would you think eventually the EU would mandate electoral systems?

quote:

there's not going to be starvation in europe outside of possibly ukraine. there's going to be serious price increases, but we'll live. the real nastiness is probably going to be in the middle east, as ever
also africa. can't grow much wheat outside ethiopia and kenya in the drier areas of the highlands

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i mean lets say these (major) snags dissipate, what's the next big step in integration? universal schengen? adoption of standardized election systems and dates? more fiscal stuff? transfer of formerly national spending responsibilities to the EU budget? what happens between now and a borderless, 100% integrated EU?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

thinking out loud i wonder if in the future there's a constituency for an anti-nato, pro-eu army government in france in the medium-term. seems like that would be the event to really tip the scales

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Saladman posted:

I’m not French nor live there so I don’t personally care any more than about Hungary or whatever. I just thought it was a dumb toxxx. I have a SA screenshot folder and it has like 10 things in it, mostly Caro posts, so enjoy the company.

*updates goons.xls*

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's weird how bread prices have nearly doubled in the last two years in the US but most people are too loving rich to even notice

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maybe the people you lived with in the US had poor diets caused by a half-dozen factors in our lovely society. i buy the cheap poo poo because i have to, but any bakery in the US has an incredible sourdough that's also $12

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well I've always been blown away by the high prices of pizza in the US. I figured the US would have cheap as poo poo pizzas but on average they seem to be 2x the price to here based on goon reports.

it really, really depends. nationwide and citywide chains usually maintain coupons that make it pretty accessible. i can get a large at a Marco's chain nearby for eleven bucks after tip which will last me three meals. you can get a $40 pizza if you want pancetta or w/e too. pizza's bottom-tier price in the US, cheaper than a big mac by far

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

11 dollars is on the lower end of what I've heard, the average price here from your local middle-eastern kebab & pizza slinger is 8-9 euros.

Maybe it's the pre-slicing that drives up costs.

i can specify sliced in 12 on the app :smugdog:

pro/con pineapple aside, pineapple is cold and full of liquid. if you're gonna do a pineapple pizza, specify well-done. the pineapple chunks suck up all the heat and that pizza is raw in the middle

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

at least it's not mayo and shrimp and tuna or w/e they do in northern europe

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mortons stork posted:

As an Italian let me just say the food police thing is so loving tiring

the only pizza place in the nigerian city i lived in was a lebanese guy who would dump sugar into the dough. artichoke donut

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

An insane mind posted:

Gentlemen, pineapple calzone, discuss.

the whole point of it as a pizza topping is that the pineapple gets a lil char from the direct heat of the oven. this is awful

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

finally, the mandate to raise the retirement age that people voted for

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Blut posted:

If you think Germany has made no moves to get rid of fossil fuels then you obviously have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about :

You should really do a lot more factual research on this issue before ranting about it.

this is one of the best posts ever made in d&d, I'm dying

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rappaport posted:

It would be worse for Germania and France, if it were to be implemented as it is in the US, and if it were implemented in a different manner, it would mean nations such as Finland and Norway would have very little to no say at all in what transpires.

what's your reasoning for letting norway have a say what the EU does with political apportionment?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

(there's panic)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there will be significant unrest at the first bill after the first major cold front imo, if these energy prices hold

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1557771709083799552

Is the explicitly far right anti immigration party not far right enough anymore

X Æ A-11.2 Musk

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The right thing to do is developing your own tech and not being dependant on the US or China for either tech or resources, didn't we just learn that lesson from Russia? Don't get dependant on others, it does not create peace through trade, it just makes you an easier target.

The EU is as large as either China or the US, plus we have Greenland via Denmark. We could well become independent on rare earths and minerals using our existing resources for instance.

yeah imagine if china shut off the solar pipelines

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i have been assured that lithuania is the new california

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the only man-made forest in the US!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.politico.eu/article/poland-central-bank-adam-glapinski-germany-design-poland-territory/

quote:

Germany is aiming "for the recovery in some form of their former lands, which are now within Poland's borders, and the subjugation of this entire belt of countries between Germany and Russia," said Glapiński, referring to the territorial settlement after World War II that saw some eastern German territories handed over to Poland. The border shift has long been accepted by German governments.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i guess i never made the obvious connection that the former prussian areas of western poland would be mostly rural homesteads with few cities. real 'duh' moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Yes, Drax burns old growth American forests as pellets. Because it was the cheapest way to shut Kellingley colliery and make the plant 'carbon neutral' on paper.

It could have been replaced with a mass nuclear baseload program instead, but that was panned as unrealistic, it wouldn't have even come online until some time in the distant future.

https://twitter.com/mlanetrain/status/1556381583585804291

:clegg: