Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Doesn't F1 only exist at this point as a reason for Bernie to line his pockets, with a bunch of hangers-on who just don't know what else to do but keep going?

The current mess won't change until Bernie dies or gives up control (neither will happen) so just get used to the steady decline in quality and increase in venue fees. Oh, and don't get too hopeful for any decent use of that silly "Internet" thing. Just a fad, you know.

CratSock fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Haas has turned out to be downright endearing. His nice guy attitude, the good looking cars, and hell they can even drive! I'm impressed.

Vandoorne had a hell of a race too. Too bad Mclaren can't keep both cars running.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

learnincurve posted:

So in f1 news. Nothing is happening.

Lewis is dressed like a total cock and hanging around with a rapper in new york and posting obnoxious inspirational memes about not changing who you are and pictures of Tupac. Meanwhile Nico has been at the factory and going on country walks with his family.

SMUG LIFE.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

He looks so weird with hair.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I just stopped in to laugh at poois shamilton's continued bad luck, and express my hope that it continues all season.

It won't, and he's going to win again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

CratSock posted:

I just stopped in to laugh at poois shamilton's continued bad luck, and express my hope that it continues all season.

It won't, and he's going to win again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

At first I was upset at being probated for my first "poois", when there were clearly other references on the same page. Then I realized it must have been for the heinous prediction of him winning again and I will apologize to worst thread for that. Even though worst thread does deserve worst WDC.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

track day bro! posted:

The worst thread deserves Jenson Button???

No probation for THIS travesty!?

MustardFacial posted:

Just like in romance and comedy; timing is everything.

And rivals.com punning, evidently.

CratSock fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 10, 2016

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

MustardFacial posted:

Oh, you're a retard. Ok I get it.

I understand how it works, I was just saying that in 2 pages full of poois and buttass, etc. posts I had the only probation. That was the joke. About timing.

Didn't there used to be a McBain doing standup emoticon?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

'Lonso and Butts' I like it, I like you today

"Lonso and Butts" should be the replacement for Tooned. It can be a 70's buddy cop show, where they solve international trackside mysteries and fight crime, then get back to the garage just in time to join the grid every week. Catchphrase suggestions?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

'Lonso was only at that press conference to keep an eye on Max, who is rumored to be smuggling rare bats into the country to become pets for wealthy despots. Maenwhile, Butts is snooping around the Red Bull hospitality area, where he steps in a pile of guano on the floor... cue theme music.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Please tell me they're doing an album together.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Good guy Seb driving around our stupid Canadian birds.

If Nico hasn't realized yet that Hamilton isn't going to give him an inch on the track, I just don't know what to do. I don't even care that he's a fraud, I just don't want Lewis to win again.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

The best part of overtaking was always the hunt that preceded it. It was always great watching a car come from 5 seconds back to swarming all over the back of the lead car and trying to find a way past.

I'd be good with an FIA-controlled "catch-up mode" built into all the cars. Make a reduction of up to like 5% in engine power or something. Even better, don't penalize the leaders, but reward challengers by making it like a better form of DRS. Give a chasing car a permanent boost (until he passes... until he's within DRS maybe?) if he's within 5 seconds of the car in front. It would make things more interesting and increase chances to pass.

sleepwalkers posted:

I agree with Wicka for once. The intent of the radio restrictions is correct (I think), but it's not having the intended effect.

I don't really have a big problem with the lack of communication, but I could see maybe revising it to keep out the worst of the stuff. If it gets rid of "OK, save fuel for 2 corners, then mode 2" or "coast through to the apexes and drive 1 tenth slower this lap" it would have value.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah 2012 was Lewis' last year with the team and in 2013 it was a clean sheet. Atleast that's how I've got it in my head.

They didn't need to clean any sheets when Lewis was there because he always slept on the couch.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Farmland Park posted:

Ecclestone told The Times: “I am going to have a good look at how things work to see if I can come up with something more equal for all the teams.”
“The Premier League has a good way of distributing the prize money, so maybe that could work for us.”

What do we think, Worst Thread? Empty words? Bargaining tactic? Some sort of long-con?

All three, in varying degrees. Bernie is at best pacifying complainers/the press by addressing an issue, or at worst setting up for another "If you don't want X then I guess we'll just have to Y... oh, what's that? You're OK with X in comparison, well I suppose I can live with that."

Bernie, you're the greatest.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

learnincurve posted:

Sky coverage is on: Lewis is salty because his power unit failed after Baku.

I think you meant to say "petulant". I'm pretty sure Lewis only has petulant and smug to work with. Maybe pious, but that also smacks of smugness on him.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

THAT'S what I was looking for. Thanks 1500. Lewis is capable of being:

Petulant
Smug
Blessed

Or any combination thereof.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

El Hefe posted:

Its a shame Jenson is only going to have a single WDC while a shitlord like Lewis is going to have like 5.

Quoting Hefe for truth.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Goetta posted:

Nico was a damaged car

Nico is a damaged driver. I was pulling for him up till today, just so Hamilton wouldn't get another one, but after that poo poo move... I want them both to DNF for the rest of the season. That was embarrassingly hackish, and reeked of desperation. Nico, you clown.

Although, big race for Jenson, hanging on to 2nd till lap 7 with that Honda Jr. engine and bringing in good points.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

That avatar is glorious :allears:

Someone needs to get a corresponding Nico brainfail eyebrow avatar.

Dr. Wang posted:

It would've been better if Rosberg was able to t-bone Hamilton, imo.

It would have been less embarrassing, that's for sure.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

MustardFacial posted:

:captainpop: :boom:

My take: I don't think Nico did this on purpose. I think Nico tried to squeeze Lewis out of the corner, because that is what Lewis does to Nico literally every other time he gets past. And I'm willing to bet it's the only overtaking maneuver Nico knows apart from "foot hard down, DRS open."

The problem is that Nico is such a fraudulent, poo poo driver that he bumbles the maneuver and straight rams Lewis. This will not be the last time this happens.

Either way, the race was great. I laughed when Lewis was booed, and I hope these two chucklefucks DNF each other every race so that our Lord and Savior, Kimi can robot himself to a second WDC.

[edit] This is how you properly squeeze someone out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZhh2Kk2MUk

Holy poo poo, after watching that clip... it's almost the same thing, except when Nico was on the outside he didn't have the balls to turn in, he just went wide. Hamilton took him right out to the outside kerb, he didn't leave any space at all.

Also, I'm really starting to like Lauda:

Edit, dammit, beaten by krushgroove and I didn't even see the last page... well, article quoted in its entirety for any F1 truthers who want to get past the corporate lies.

Nikki Lauda posted:

Lewis Hamilton was so furious about losing pole position to Nico Rosberg at the European Grand Prix that he "destroyed" his private room at the Mercedes offices, team chief Niki Lauda has revealed.

Lifting the lid on what Lauda said was a "lie" when Hamilton claimed he was getting on better than ever with his teammate, the Mercedes non-executive chairman has given a fascinating insights into the tensions going on behind the scenes.

In an interview for Red Bull channel Servus TV, which was recorded last Friday but only broadcast last night, Lauda confirmed that speculation Hamilton had been left in a rage after his qualifying error in Baku was correct.

Pushed by veteran journalist Roger Benoit on the programme about reports Hamilton had destroyed his room after Rosberg took pole position, Lauda said: “He did it because he had crashed. He’ll have to pay for that [the destroyed room]. You can count on that.

“He told me I couldn’t come in because he was going to destroy everything. This is how it was.”

Although the tensions between Hamilton and Rosberg erupted in the Austrian race, even at the time the interview was done it was clear to Lauda that things were far from as perfect as had been suggested.

In an interview with the Mail on Sunday ahead of the Austrian GP, Hamilton had claimed that things with Rosberg were better than they had ever been.

“It’s actually really good with Nico at the moment,’ said Hamilton. “Really, really good. Surprisingly. I would definitely not have expected it to be where it is. I guess it is probably with age. He’s a family man. He’s got a kid. He has probably grown in that process and I have grown and come of age. The respect that we have always talked about is bigger than it has ever been.”

But Lauda has said that Hamilton's claims are well wide of the mark, and the situation between the pair is nowhere near as rosy.

“Lewis lied about that, simple as that,” explained Lauda. “He just said something. He wanted to be the softener in order to have his peace last weekend.

"He does what he can. The fight gets hotter the longer Nico is in front.”

Lauda just tells it like it is cause he's a cranky old bastard.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

krushgroove posted:

haha and the F1 Racing issue I'm catching up on has the cover story of "don't hate Lewis"

Is it "Don't hate Lewis" or "Don't hate, Lewis"?

I'd love to see Lewis trash a fridge while wearing one of Romain Grosjean's shirts.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

gret posted:

It must be difficult psychologically to work so hard and put in so much effort just to see your teammate casually stroll in after partying all week and put the car on pole.

"Hi Nico, good weekend?"
"Yeah, I took a few thousandths off my record in the sim."
"Great! I actually don't even know where I just flew in from... *BAAARRFFFF!!* Hold on, I have to put in a lap."
... goes .120 faster than Nico.

1500quidporsche posted:

Seriously the amount of poo poo you guys are giving Norns is hilarious given that despite what you may think driving your Honda civic on the highway has zero correlation or bearing on what its like driving an F1 car.

Even if it has a cool F1 style wing?

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I still don't get why he got a penalty. There was plenty of room left on the track when Lewis turned into Nico.

There was easily more than 1 car width left on the outside when Lewis turned in. I don't know why that hasn't been pointed out more.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I have no issue with the halo in principle, and am in favour of driver safety... but wouldn't that big honking bar slapped on top of the car ruin a lot of the meticulous aero work done?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Dear Toto: please bench both drivers for a race, or individually for alternating races, and elevate mind games to the extreme.

What kind of questions was Lewis not allowed to answer? About the incident? Or whether he and Nico are still great friends and hang out by the pool?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

El Hefe posted:

If you think about it geargate and radiogate would be easily solved if teams just reverted to stick shifts and no radios like in the good 'ol days.

There are no "gates" involved with any of those things, Hefe! :airquote:

Fo3 posted:

Haha, I noticed that too. Good on him.
He may have started the whole "britney" thing, but didn't appreciate the booing at all.

I need more history on this... it isn't just a worst thread thing?

That was awesome. 4 cool and good drivers.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I didn't even know the aeroscreen was a thing. Looks like a much better solution than the halo.

So I guess it's safe to assume we'll see halos implemented for the start of 2017.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

That would explain the smell in here...

No, that's just how goons smell. Rank with despair and regrets. Sadly, most are still more coherent than Joe's Award.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Lewis the Juggalo has just come back from an ICP show.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

poty posted:

Don't post my favourite entry from my dream journal

The fanfic practically writes itself!

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

learnincurve posted:

I think the important question is what is going to happen to the mercs when one of them pushes the other one wide? Never mind the front wing, the new kerbs are going to rip off the entire floor and leave someone's arse scraping along gravel.

I'm sure whoever Merc brings in for Hamilton to push around next year will be furious.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Active aero seems like a cool feature that I would enjoy watching. I guess cost/practicality issues are probably stopping it, but it could be very cool.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Lewis is also a bit of a muppet.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Riso posted:

The problem are not the people at Ferrari by themselves. They're a hostile political charged environment that makes it impossible to work together.

Kind of reminds me of Jaguar before RB bought it and sorted out the mess.

R.I.P. in peace Jaguar, a cool and good team.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I seem to recall this thread whining about the coaching on the radio?. I think the radio ban is a Good Thing, but I do think they should be allowed to put whatever they want on the pitboard. It's limited what they can practically put there anyway.

I'm good with this. Figure out how to put whatever you need on the pit board. All this radio communication is just being lazy and privileged.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

ukle posted:

Given what happened with Jessica thats not true. He is an amazing driver and a role model in many ways, but he has his faults.

What did happen there anyway?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

That was so great. Even I understood (most of) it.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Holy poo poo that's all I can see now. That's goddamn awful.

E: She's kind of doing it too, almost looks like she's pushing him away, or was posed as a mannequin. Did Kimi find someone as robotic as him? So sweet.

CratSock fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

I can put together a bit of an update once the race is done. I'm toying with making an AI thread for next year now that I'm in a class where I'll be in the midfield as opposed to dropping off and a rapid pace, just got to figure out a way to make it interesting and accessible. The endurance race should be a blast though since I get to rag the poo poo out of somebody else's kart and not worry about the engine blowing or banging up the chassis.

Please do post a thread, and make sure you link to it from here. I'd love to see how it goes. I have a couple of friends who want to so 24 Hours of Lemons, but it's too much of a commitment when I have 2 small kids keeping me fully busy at home. Maybe in a few years.

geeves posted:

It's a staged wedding photo so you can see both of the rings prominently. It's cheesy and why I hate doing wedding photography.

geeves, all I remember from our wedding photographer was his go-to line "now look at each other and laugh!"... It got old fast.

• Locked thread