Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

I refuse to believe that that is an official nintendo controller.

We said the exact same thing about the Wii Remote and that still happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

that controller was actually good though.

Really was not a fan of it. Especially when you had to spend extra money for a control stick or all the buttons of a normal controller when the motion control gimmick got old.
Especially when said motion controls were extremely unruly.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Both the Wii U and Xbox One are commercial failures, in what way is there competition for Sony?

I cannot even begin to grasp why Sony is in the lead this console gen when the PS4 currently has the least exclusive content out for it.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

Same reason 360 was in the lead last time, first of the next gen to come out.

By that logic, the WiiU should have the lead now.
Also the 360 actually did have a good start for the first few years.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

So what do we know so far about games for it? I think I remember hearing that square was looking into porting FFXIV and one of the Dragon Quest games for it, but not much else.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

NT Plus posted:

:psyduck:

I don't think this is accurate.

Maybe it's not, but whenever I ask people who have the consoles what they have that's worth playing, I tend to hear a lot more exclusives from the Bone players, like Halo, or Killer Instinct or Titanfall.
PS4 I only really hear people mention Bloodborne. I know it has other exclusives, but most of those apparently aren't even worth looking at, like Knack or The Order 16-whatever.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Stux posted:

the difference is that the sony vr is an optional add on which is profitable on each sale and has already taken ridiculous preorders. the wii u tablet was something no one asked for or wanted but u couldnt choose not to buy and whose only purpose was to drive up the base cost of the console.

First off, the game pad is literally just a regular controller with a touchscreen. Unlike the Wii, if you didn't care about using the screen it still has every single button and feature or a regular controller without buying an add-on. There's no gimmick being forced on anyone. And second what does that base cost thing even mean when the base cost is still $100-200 cheaper than the other two?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I wish Stux would stop posting

Just add him/her/it/whatever to you ignore list and go on with your day.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I can see this thread is well on its way to getting shut down like the WiiU thread. I guess I'll see you all in the 3DS thread or something.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I love the new thread title.
Still not as good as NX GON GIVE IT TO YA! But it's good.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Motto posted:

Sony could've beat the 3DS after its initial stumble if they hadn't hosed the Vita even worse.

To this day it saddens me just how badly Sony hosed that up. At least with the PSP they actually bothered to make a variety of games based on their IPs. It bombed, but I still got some mileage out of it. What little they even do with the Vita anymore just seems to be targeting one specific demographic with incredibly Japanese style games. That's not such a bad thing, but the problem is that they do very little to appeal to other things.

Want to play WipEout? gently caress you we care about that less than Nintendo cares about F-Zero.
Maybe Ratchet & Clank, or Twisted Metal? Haha no!

Granted, this problem also extends to the PS4, but at least that gets 3rd party support.

Lady Naga posted:

A+ contribution

lmao I can't imagine a worse time to come in and make a drive-by shitpost calling out a guy you don't like than in the middle of a reasonable discussion of the merits/failings of the 3ds compared to the vita

Maybe if you put that in the vita/3DS thread rather than the NX thread.

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 28, 2016

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Can we get back to discussing the NX or anything other than this, please?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

The NX codename is referring to a team up with Microsoft to developed the new system.

The console's final name will be WiiBonedU.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Can we please stop arguing about the PS4 in the NX thread?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

No real news for the NX, but Kimishima basically confirmed a 2016 release in a recent interview.

http://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-nx-specs-price-release-date-rumors/

Mods, please give this thread an NX title again.

Changing it from "NX Gon Give it to Ya" was a mistake.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

So can I begin restoring my hopes for one of Nintendo's "launch window only" series to finally get an HD title like Wave Race or Pilotwings?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Slur posted:

But what about all of those amazing games they announced at E3? I mean, there was Breath of the Wild, and...and...

and...

Come on now. How did you forget about BoxBoy 2?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Jsor posted:

Keep in mind that Nintendo has partnered with DeNA for its mobile work, which basically produces (mostly licensed) mobile shovelware that embody the worst nickle-and-dimeing mobile games are known for.

DeNA also made Final Fantasy Record Keeper which is probably one of the most generous mobile games I've seen in terms to allowing players to work around the real money systems.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Instant Sunrise posted:

And really what other microsoft IPs are left nowadays?

Gears, Halo, Forza, and uh.....

They keep touting that they still have Phantom Dust, but the sequel/reboot/remake/whatever it is now has been cancelled, retooled, cancelled again, and retooled again for the past 3 years. Aside from that, there's Fable and maybe Vodoo Vince.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

PenguinKnight posted:

rare would return home to a company that actually gives a poo poo instead of having them pump out kinect games :unsmith:

Rare's doing that to themselves. Microsoft actually tried to get them to make actual games again before just outsourcing them to other companies so that someone would make them. Still, it's nice to see that after 30+ years, Rare is finally making some real progress on Project Dream.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

The real important question: Will the NX continue to support Miiverse?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I can't tell which I love more, that they made an entire soundtrack for the cafe, or that they made a cute relaxing remix of the battle theme for the eye demon who shoots blood at its you.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

coffeecup posted:

Thread title still makes me :lol: every time I come in here. Thank you, tia

It's cute, but everything feels like a step down after the original "NX Gon Give it to Ya!"

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Instant Sunrise posted:

I really wish Nintendo would bring back the colored translucent plastic cases.

If they offer a console or controller in that option I will buy it day 1.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

It's possible to enjoy a financial failure. See also: The Dreamcast

The Dreamcast wasn't the failure. Humanity was the failure.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

MechaCrash posted:

whatever the gently caress the Wii U's code name was?

It was either Stream or Café.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

eightpole posted:

having a comfortable controller

Are we talking about the same system here? Try playing any game besides Smash with a Gamecube controller and "comfortable" will probably be the last word you're thinking of.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Ventana posted:

The Gamecube Controller did nothing wrong

(well the c stick sucked but besides that)

Many attempts to play Soul Caliber 2 and Mega Man Anniversary Collection say otherwise. The controller is fine for games that were specifically built around it (Smash, Luigi's Mansion) but pretty awful for almost everything else.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Red Bones posted:

Breath of the Wild feels like the first Nintendo title in a while where they have looked at what people who don't buy their games and consoles are playing

Splatoon was just last year. Still, the game does raise some excitement that they'll do similar things.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Pretty much all of last year was a weird experimental phase for the company. Some for the better (Splatoon, Mario Maker) and some not so much (Amiibo Festival).

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Microwaves Mom posted:

will we ever see a good metroid game again?

Blastball's demo is fun and they said they're looking into ideas for both 2D and Prime style games for the series a year or 2 ago.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

smell this posted:

here is hoping for 3 more paper mario games during that time

Maybe we'll luck out and the series will be good again after 3 games.
Until then I'll take solace in the thought that Kirby won't let me down.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

(*there have been two good Star Fox games, so Platinum was pretty much shooting for par there.)

You're forgetting that the best Star Fox game of all time was released this year.
It was titled Kirby: Planet Robobot.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Can I use it as impromptu stairs too?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Raserys posted:

are people still mad about sticker star

Star Fox Zero seems to be getting this too. I'll admit the game actually justified being built around the gamepad (unlike that DS game where there was absolutely no reason to force touch controls and only touch controls), but the game still had a lot of glaring flaws. For all the great things about that game, there were several bad thing just screaming at you. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game, but I got significantly more mileage out of the big Star Fox homage in Kirby Robobot which basically took SF1 and 64 and improved on that formula rather than going for a gimmick.

That pretty much sums up the problem with Miyamoto's mindset. He doesn't settle for doing something like that. He wants the new titles to be unique or special rather than just building on the working formula.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I'd probably just leave the WiiU hooked up alongside the NX since I'm guessing by the cartridge rumors that physical backwards compatibility is out of the question.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

Sega did this in the 90s

It did not go well

e: beaten like the Saturn

Sega's biggest problems were
A: they did it in a pre-internet era where gaming news could take weeks/months to reach the general public.
and B: Their announcement came as a surprise to the developers as well, so aside from NiGHTS and whatever else Sega put at launch, the Saturn had almost no games for a while.

Nintendo has at least shared info with developers and had stressed a few times this year that they want the NX to have a decent amount of games in the launch window.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I hope Nintendo never re-releases Melee

I hope they do. Only with more characters. And stages. And music. Also a completely new physics engine. And better pacing and balancing. Also a subtle pun on 5 in the title.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Boten Anna posted:

WHERE IS WHITE LINK'S LOWER BODY OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED

Breath of the Wild spoilers: Link and Wario become one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

Nintendo marketing idea... If you preorder a NX it will be hand delivered by a waddle dee.

Preordered 5 NXs right now.

• Locked thread