Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Haha. Extra 30min countdown.

Nah it was announced for 9:30 their time, it's normal. They're on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Who the hell is Liam Sharp?

he's an artist

as in "he's the one drawing the book and they haven't announced who's writing yet, calm down"

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Alucard Nacirema posted:

wait I'm confused if Jurgens is on Action and Tomasi is on Superman...what book is Gene Yang writing?

New Superman, which is about a new Superman, set in China

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
oh great Dan Abnett in 2016

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Harley Quinn - usual
Suicide Squad -

Suicide Squad was already confirmed, it's Rob Williams, Jim Lee, and also I guess Philip Tan

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

You hear to read good comics or make sure a company is filling arbitrary diversity quotas?

There's enough good women writers and artists for DC to be able to do both. Framing it as an either/or is all kinds of hot garbage bullshit.

DC hasn't announced everything, though, so, fingers crossed, they still could be better than what we've seen today.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I mean, I don't know, while it could be about the Azzarello run, there's a whole lovely Meredith and David Finch run in between, so

Plus, "something hosed up the Amazon have kept from Diana" feels like the plot of every other Wonder Woman story, so

Unless the first issue opens on Ares being all like "I'm not dead also Athena was never a baby and that wasn't Hephaistos, it was just some random guy who made stuff up haha funny right", I think Rucka's earned the benefit of the doubt.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Is it a good place to live in Gotham?

it's basically Brooklyn

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

What was Krul's big break at DC? Was he a Red Hood guy?

even better

it's RISE OF ARSENAL

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/eccc-dc-entertainment-all-access

DC is getting nuts.

Gerard Way's getting his own Vertigo-lite imprint called Young Animal.

quote:

Gerard Way joined the panel, and announced that he has his own imprint at DC, called, "DC's Young Animal." "DC is letting me have an imprint called Young Animal. The first book is 'Doom Patrol,'" Way said. It'll be written by Way, and illustrated by Nick Derington. "It's really weird," Way said. It'll pay tribute not just to Grant Morrison's famed run on the series, but the history of Doom Patrol.

Also coming from Young Animal: "Shade, The Changing Girl" from writer Cecil Castellucci and artist Marley Zarcone. Cover by Becky Cloonan. "It's another alien, a woman alien, who's hiding in the body of a teenage girl that used to be a bully," Way said. "She has the Madness Vest. The Madness is kind of taking over."

Another Young Animal book: "Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye." Written by Way and Jon Rivera with art by Michael Avon Oeming. Way said that the comic will deliver on its promise of indeed explaining why Cave Carson -- a sci-fi spelunker introduced by DC back in 1960 -- has a cybernetic eye.

Rounding out the lineup: "Mother Panic," written by Jody Houser, with art by Tommy Lee Edwards and John Paul Leon (covers by Edwards). "This one is set in Gotham," Way said. It'll focus on a new character. Lee pointed out that "Mother Panic" is a mature readers book.

They're also doing a Challenge-style Kamandi book with teams made at random

quote:

Another announcement! In the spirit of 1985-1986's "DC Challenge," a 12-issue series where 12 teams of creators told one story, round-robin style, DiDio announced the "Kamandi Challenge," where 12 writers and 12 artists were "carefully selected" and then paired at "random" to tell a story starring Jack Kirby's Kamandi, The Last Boy On Earth.

Here are the teams: Dan Abnett & Dale Eaglesham, Peter J. Tomasi & Neal Adams, Amanda Conner & Jimmy Palmiotti, James Tynion IV & Carlos D'Anda, Bill Willingham & Ivan Reis, Steve Orlando & Philip Tan, Marguerite Bennett & Dan Jurgens, Keith Giffen & Steve Rude, Tom King & Kevin Eastman, Greg Pak & Joe Prado, Rob Williams & Walter Simonson, Gail Simone & Ryan Sook and Len Wein & José Luis García-López. (Yes, that's 13 teams.)

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
http://www.weirdsciencedccomics.com/2016/05/exclusive-dc-comics-announces-new-six.html

We're getting an All-Star Section Eight sequel. I don't think I was ready for that but let's loving go.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/more-suicide-squad-books-come-to-dc-in-august/1100-155474/

John Ostrander is writing a Suicide Squad one-shot and it sounds like my jam

quote:

SUICIDE SQUAD: WAR CRIMES SPECIAL #1

Written by JOHN OSTRANDER
Art by GUS VAZQUEZ
Cover by JUAN FERREYRA
When a retired American politician is taken to Europe and tried for alleged war crimes, the USA must recover him from an allied nation before terrible truths are revealed. Enter the Suicide Squad, who storm the Hague itself to save America from her own dark secrets. The writer who started a revolution, John Ostrander returns to the Suicide Squad for the first time in a decade to tell one of his boldest and bloodiest stories ever.
One-shot • On sale AUGUST 31 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T+

Oh, and also we're getting more Suicide Squad Most Wanted with people from DC's Writer Workshop program. WHO'S DOWN FOR VERTICAL INTEGRATION Y'ALL????

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
"hair always on fire" is the kind of perfect sentence that I'm way the gently caress into

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

So, I read JL 50, L and C 8, Superman 52, and Rebirth.

I don't know how anyone could call "People threatening one another with various magic babies" grim OR gritty. It's a big stupid comic, it's loud, it barely makes sense. Again, there's multiple weaponized magic babies.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Revol posted:

I really loved Rebirth. Like promised, it is bringing back what was missing at DC for five years now: legacy. The universe is fixing itself, either on its own, or forcibly by Wally coming back or whatever. And then the Watchmen reveal... when I got to that page, I just laughed my rear end off. I'm not laughing at it. I enjoyed the absurdity of it all. DCU vs Watchmen? Alright, bring it on. I can appreciate that they are willing to do something so ridiculous. gently caress playing it safe.

I liked how the final scene used Watchmen-esque paneling. Cute.

The very first page is also in the Watchmen 9-grid. But the thing that really sells the final scene is the lettering. Nick J. Napolitano did a good-rear end job on that.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Ah, yes, noted military experiment working for a global superpower Spider-Man. Maybe you can only notice surface level similarities between Spider-Man and Super-Man because they're not going for the same thing at all.

Especially considering the fact DC is already publishing a book about a teen in New York trying to juggle his personal life as a student and the great responsibility that comes with some sort of great power.

It's called Doctor Fate, it's by Paul Levitz and Sonny Liew, and it's actually pretty good.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Green Lanterns ends on what's possibly the worst drawing of a cat ever commited to paper.

Holy gently caress, what happened for Dex-Starr to end up so horribly twisted and broken?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Read Action, Detective, Flash and Wonder Woman... and Wacky Raceland was by far my favorite.

okay what

the preview looked terrible, so I gotta know, what's good about Wacky Raceland? is it that the cars talk?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I feel Tom King's Batman is a really well-made populist action book with great setpieces, and I like the way it's setting up stories that are gonna pay off now (Batman trying to see where the Gotham Kids are going), later (the whole Monster Men thing that's gonna be an Halloween event), and even later (because whatever Hugo Strange is doing can't be good).

Like, sure, it's not a heady contemplation of alienation in contemporary society, American foreign policy or the effects of the war in Iraq on the people and the structures of that country, but, I don't really read the main Batman ongoing for those.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Travis343 posted:

Hugo Strange and the Monster Men are the same story, he's the creator of the Monster Men every time that story's been done (which this will only be the third time, so it's not like it's a terrible rehash or anything). Unless Tom throws us a curveball and Hugo's appearance in today's issue is a red herring.

huh

gotta admit I did not know poo poo about the Monster Men, good to learn

turns out Amanda Waller is the one with the super weird deal I want to know more about

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

DC does not inspire confidence in me,when it comes to not being racist, since their Muslim superhero was introduced... with a plotline about being a terrorist and stuff.

We're talking Simon Baz, right? Because the plotline (and that's loving generous considering it played out in all of a single issue) was about him being falsely accused of being a terrorist because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is made incredibly clear that he is not a terrorist at all, just a guy who stole cars to make ends meet after the recession.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah based on other things Rucka has done I am fully expecting to find out that Flashback Diana and Present Diana are not the same person.

Thematically, as an exploration of how myths, and by extension comic book origin stories, get rewritten to fit the times they're told in, it's super interesting. Like, it's the same kind of ideas Kieron Gillen and Al Ewing were exploring with Loki, and if Rucka is getting at that I can only see it being great. Plus Nicola Scott is kinda killing it.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Veg posted:

God that art is arse. Cunts at DC couldnt let Doyle continue

I have the issue on my desk but I'm way too tired to read it now, so, quick question: Does Moritat still draw every woman in the book with the creepy dead eyes and the curves of a doll?

e: Also, Doyle only did writing, the main artist on the previous run was Riley Rossmo, who I did not notice was also the guy who did Wild Children with Ales Kot

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Green Lanterns is a perfect metaphor for itself. It's got the potential to do good, there's an enjoyable story there, but Sam Humphries has no confidence in himself or the artists he works with. So every page becomes a slog of first person narrative captions spelling out exactly what is happening and why, despite a story you can understand with a simple glance at the action and a cursory knowledge of the characters. I don't wanna say it's bad, because Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz becoming more than what they and others see in themselves is something I'm rooting for and a story I want to see told. But the creative team on this book absolutely sucks at telling it, which is super painful.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

How did justice league dark end up?

The Peter Milligan run is a mess with fairly cool ideas, much like most of Milligan's later work. Then Jeff Lemire shows up, and it gets pretty average, with some nice touches and an ambition he could never live up to, because it's Jeff Lemire writing a team book and that's the way these things go. By the time DeMatteis picks up the reins, I completely checked out, but the book can be described as "exceedingly workmanlike".

Still, it's got some nice Mikel Janin art, from before Nightwing, which is nice.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I actually found Milligan's the best part. I enjoyed the Justice League being trapped in a teeth tornado for an arc.

Yeah the one thing Milligan did super well was coming up with threats for which it wouldn't make sense to send the actual Justice League. The book made a fairly strong case as to why its existence was justified in a story sense.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Why is n52 superman dead?

The kryptonite therapy that brought his powers back from the previous run of Action Comics, plus going through the fire pits of Apokolips in the previous run of Justice League, and whatever happened with Rao in Justice League of America, which I didn't read because man Bryan Hitch sucks as a writer. As a result of all that he died and got turned into sand or something.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Batman #6 in the context of the end of Batman #5 reads messed up in a way I completely love.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I mean in enjoying it, its not bad, and the character interactions are often fun, but it just feels like a comic very much written by committee, I guess? Character voices seem kinda same-y and there's no real book variance. It doesn't feel like im reading Tom King Batman or Tynion Batwoman et Al or whoever writing Nightwing's.... Nightwing, its all just sorts the same characters repeating very similar dialog with very similar perspectives.
Again, not bad. No shade on anyone who likes it, but its definitely an arc that, when rereading rebirth Batman ill be all "oh right! Monsters invaded Gotham. Huh."

Yeah that's because Steve Orlando wrote all of them. Story credit goes to him and the regular writers of the books, but script credit is all him.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Steve Epting is such an inspired choice for a Batwoman ongoing too. This is literally best-case scenario stuff.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

TwoPair posted:

That could be good. So far as I know there's no one in the Batwoman mythos with the ability to break the 4th wall, so that should curb that tendency that drove me off Angela.

The idea with that stuff was that, in a way, it was elaborating on some of the themes and ideas of Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery run. There's a shared sensibility there that is not in Bennett's other work, which is very cool and good.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The Ray is the definition of a C-list character nobody knows about. He shows up in cameos and references and that's about it. That's okay. That's not a bad thing. Being C-list isn't bad but stop trying to pretend like The Ray is this massively recognized and beloved character.

I'd go further and say The Ray is D-List.

And the "D" stands for "Dick". Because he's into penises. Because he's gay.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
guys why are you replying to old alucard posts

oh

oh no

anyways I kinda love/hate that any given DC story can now end with "and then the weird man that may or may not be Ozymandias put them in a box"

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
My biggest problem with "The Lies" is that, because Rucka is going for something elaborate and weird, he's being very careful and deliberate in setting up everything in a way that makes sense. And that's not bad in and of itself, but, when you sandwich that between slices of the very straightforward Year One stuff, it makes it seem more boring. But at least all the setting-up seems to be over with, and now we can delve in the strange stuff.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
oh no

not punch and jewlee

whatever shall we do without them

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
JLvSquad ships weekly, actually. Which, in the times of endless Civil War II delays, feels refreshing as all hell.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Superwoman is a hoot and a half, and a great tribute to the crazy, let's loving go for it attitude of 90's comic book stunts. I cherish and treasure it.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Singling out Alan Moore for his use of rape is somewhat hypocritical and thus pointless, especially when you can single him out for writing Lost Girls.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Lost Girls has a whole lot of mind melting Melinda Gebbie art.

Man I'm sure happy that the craft in a comic about Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz loving her dad is "mind-melting", that's what I want from a comic. That and scenes where Wendy from Peter Pan gets in an orgy with the Lost Boys while a pedophile watches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I like that someone at DC was like "hey, if you're gonna make this tie-in kind of a Cry Havoc thing, let me get the guy who wrote Cry Havoc, do it right"