Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Even if they had PC for the arrest, you can't just arrest a postal worker on duty and leave their truck.

At least one cop lost badge and gun and IA is investigating too. Feds are probably interested too.

What sort of genius idea compelled them to arrest a postal worker on shift besides something horribly, virulently racist? It just doesn't look good on cameras at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Litany Unheard posted:

I worked for the USPS and you DO NOT want a Postal Inspector to decide you've been loving with the mail. Interfering with a Postal worker and leaving his truck unsecured is drat near a declaration of war.

USPS v NYPD, now that's a court case I want to see. :munch:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
On a side note, have there been any notable political scandals in history with Congressional interference with the USPS? Like some wayward Congressman intercepting mail meant for someone else and reading it on the floor of the Senate?

I'm suddenly intrigued by USPS scandals and conspiracies. :f5:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 1, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

FAUXTON posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Post_Office_scandal

It's more of a typical political money scandal wrapped in a post office but there you have it.

A Congressman tried to launder money through stamps? That's pretty ballsy (and stupid). It's also weird that Clinton pardoned the guy at the end of his term in office in 2000.

Speaking of Clinton-era money scandals, I actually was with Bob Ney of Ohio when I studied abroad in India in college. He was doing some kind of radio related business in Dharamsala, I'm not sure why there of all places.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SquadronROE posted:

Right. The way it reads to me is:

We have a lot of debt. A fair amount of that debt (I would say 20% is a fair amount) is owned by foreigners. Of that debt, most is China.

Oh yeah, that was another thing I remember about Bob Ney from my time spent with him. He was really obsessed about how we gave away our bargaining chip by allowing them favored nation trade status with the WTO. He was a nice guy otherwise.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 1, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The reveal is that literally every candidate still in the race used the same DC Madame and have been attempting to avoid revealing their involvement to each other until now through a comedy of errors.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Heard a guy ranting about Trump today to a group of people at my local bar today. Things like "our country should be run like a business," "he's a successful business man," and "he's not a politician!" really do seem to motivate people to want to vote for Trump. :shrug:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Xanderkish posted:

When I was fourteen or fifteen I called myself fiscally conservative and socially liberal. That was because I did not understand social theory and economics and also because I wanted to appear educated with a "best of both worlds" mentality that I only later learned was wrong.

I might also have been doing that because I went to a hyperconservative Catholic high school at the time and wanted to fit in (I didn't).

This was me as a Freshman in high school, minus the Catholic school bit (I went to a public high school). I was naive but budding in political thought, so I thought latching on to "socially liberal, fiscally conservative," sounded like the most responsible, Serious Person left-leaning position to take without understanding what "fiscally conservative" actually entailed.

To be fair, I think that says a lot more (depressing things) about America's default political mores/Overton Window than it does about individual people.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Luigi Thirty posted:

For people who are wondering how schools can be so bad for black students, here's one perfect example. Pinellas County is one of the richest in the state of Florida. Nearly all of St. Peterburg's black population live in a 12-square-mile area that was originally designated as The Black Neighborhood 80 years ago. It's square in the middle of poverty indicators for black populations in Florida but its elementary schools are five of the worst in the state. Why is that? Pinellas County schools were desegregated in 1971 and they introduced forced integration, busing students around so no school would be more than 30% black. It worked and black students were steadily improving. With the poorer students spread out across all the schools in the city, they could be assisted more effectively.

And then whoops! The school board voted in 2007 to institute a policy of neighborhood schools. And when the entire black population lives in one area... that's segregation. Other counties in Florida set up magnet schools in poor neighborhoods to encourage more affluent parents to send their children there or set up after-school programs or clubs or anything to attract students... they did none of these things. Now you have schools that are 95% white and 95% black again.

These schools have the least-experienced teachers, the most problematic students, and the lowest funding in the county. The school board blames black parents in that drat South St. Pete. Demographic data shows black families are no worse off than those in any other city and yet they have the worst schools in the state.

At least something's finally coming of this: the Department of Education is investigating the school district for racial discrimination.

Segregation is alive and well in America again, except this time it's a quiet de facto economic segregation over time versus an overt de jure political segregation, so it's hard to get people riled up over it.

It's easier to be complacent over "well, they made wrong choices and became poor; so it's their fault, gently caress 'em!" (which oddly correspond along racial lines, huh, that's weird) classist views versus a George Wallace-figure loudly proclaiming "segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever."

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 5, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

LeeMajors posted:

I've literally had people tell me, when I was advocating for higher taxes on the rich, "there's nothing stopping you from giving the government more of your money!" :smug:

Tl;dr, "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" is for assholes, and there's a whooole lot of assholes in America. :patriot:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Black helicopters! The paranoid conspiracy theorists were right! :tinfoil: :supaburn:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Joementum posted:

From a Klan wedding in Tennessee last year. The dog's robe is a nice touch. See more in this photo essay.

Some people are taking the Earthbound Happy Happyist cosplay a bit too far.

E: When it comes to marriage, they really tie the knot! :haw:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Chokes McGee posted:

TRUMP

*click*

(What's the origin of this meme btw? I don't get it.)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RuanGacho posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining any scenario that doesn't involve that old southpark episode meme They're comin' right fer us! In which these people don't somehow gun down a bus full of Mexican children.

Its the Stand Your Ground church edition. It makes no goddamn sense.

It does if you see a.) Good Guys with Guns as arbiters of justice and b.) Christianity is under attack in America as per conservative talk radio and needs to be defended with extreme prejudice.

A lot of this poo poo makes no sense if you just stick to your viewpoint but a lot more sense if you try imagine the world from the perspective of a Freeper and the like.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://mobile.twitter.com/becket/status/723209551135150080/video/1

God drat it, Wolf. :wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Wait, what's this talk about Carson running for US Rep.? I thought he was just running to sell his book?

• Locked thread