Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Can you fly via VPN Airlines to a different country to unlock before the official US release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Dang it, thanks for the quick response.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Can't wait to use axes this time through. I've always considered it but this time I'm gonna do it.

The hand axe in DS2 had a pretty decent moveset I thought, hopefully more of the same.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Reading that reddit link earlier, there's a password for doing co-op with a specific someone?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Arrived in Undead Settlement, cool looking place, reminds me of Bloodborne. Alright, going through a... surprisingly empty multiple story dilapidated building... and there's footsteps above me...

Uh huh, alright, well, you keep doing what you're doing buddy. Ahead is a message, "mob ahead", well, doesn't look too bad, there's only six or seven of the jerks I just plowed through to get here and...

Huh, well, I put my bow in storage, so I can't try to knock that body down so I'll just take the doorway on the le-

Alright, I'm just gonna try quitting and reloading. After hanging forever, I killed the client and restarted, this time it successfully loads. I see the tree, the entire mob that I just killed ragdolls hilariously, and looks like a fat lady spawned in. Oh! And the balcony loaded, so I guess I'll just go back into the completely empty building I just came through and what is this, more jerks from out of nowhere? Easy enough to handle, grab the shiny from the balcony corpse and I think now is a good time to just mosey on back to the bonfire I arrived in on and...

I think I'll just give the game a break for a while. I picked deprived for a harder starting challenge, while guessing if there's a collision mesh or not under my feet is not what I signed up for.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

I like it. It's fun. I picked the Assassin and I'm just roll-roll-rollin and stab-stab-stabbin. Right now I'm not sure if I'm actually supposed to kill Katanabro because he has sure as gently caress owned me hard the last 15 times I've tried to fight him.

He is a honorable soul and will assist you on coldboss if you defeat him after giving you his thousand folded hanzo steel uchigatana quenched in the blood of you over and over and over, shirt and gloves. There is no progression behind him by the way if you just wanna nope on out of there.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

I have read you start naked though. Is this the actual real answer or just the accepted goon starting race?

Pick knight for starts if you're quite literally new to the game genre. The shield and metal armor will assist you in not taking as much damage as, say, getting hit in the face while wearing diapers.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Gortarius posted:

Game seemed alright, but they really upped the ante with the tutorial boss, or maybe I just missed some trick for him.

Pick deprived, iframe roll through everything, and go HAM with your club to stagger. Once in :ssj: form, if the boss does any sort of movement whatsoever, roll the hell out of the way and continue to club him until he staggers.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Buca di Bepis posted:

i played deprived for 4 hours and haven't seen a single crash

I played the exact same time, and class as you and I've crashed twice.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Do you not start out with weapon arts? Can't figure out how to use them.

Put away your shield if you've got one. On the 360 controller, I use LT to activate the skill, and depending on what it is (ie long sword et al), RT/RB can modify it.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

Am I seeing right that fire infusing removes all scaling? Or is it actually scaling off Faith and Int or whatever like DS2?

Yep, removes all scaling.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Decrepus posted:

I'm surprised an disappointed they kept the mechanic that you need to have used a consumable to get invaded.

Dried finger buff lets you have an extra invader in addition to the usual invader allowed, and lets you tote around a third phantom.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I love every iteration of these games' "Firebomb guy by his lonesome on a higher level than you" scenario.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

How to beat the first boss: Remove all your armor, and shield if equipped. Double down on exploiting dodge roll iframes by dodging into the attack swings so that you spend less time in danger of being hit. Depending on the weapon, you can get up to three swings before needing to dodge again to avoid death. When the boss goes :ssj: don't panic, just dodge roll whenever the boss model moves at all, paying particular attention to the right and left limbs for animation tells.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

cram me sideways posted:

or OR you can just circle strafe him and ping him to death with soul arrows if you're a BITCH like me

A true champion kills that jerk with a dull stick of wood, bitch. :colbert:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

This swamp is pretty high up there in being dickish. Only thing missing really is infinitely respawning mosquitoes that poison you. Next time I go through here is gonna be with a guide for point A to point B because this is pretty tedious.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh no.

...Oh no. :ohdear:

Firelink Shrine (early?) character spoilers: :ohdear:

Like all things in this cursed kingdom, when something fades away, a new thing will arise to take it's place. You helped the person out, and it you, no need to be ashamed of your actions, Champion.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Nuebot posted:

So the dragon on the wall, I hate it and I want it to die. Has anyone figured out a good way to do it? The fire seems to hit everywhere and anywhere.

Decide on a direction you want to go in, make some headway into the other direction until Halitosistraza starts emitting fire and back up until it's done, then Run Like Hell in the direction you chose. Ahead and to the right underneath the turret ( with the bonfire up top), you can stand in the doorway and shoot about a hundred arrows into it's left wing to get it to gently caress off so you can loot in peace. I would really recommend you stand in the doorway before unleashing arrows. :v:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Orv posted:

Also re: Fashion Souls.

Your majesty, the undead are attacking the town!

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Afriscipio posted:

You can buy it from Greirat.

I managed to talk to his NPC, and agreed to take a ring to someone in the undead settlement, but uh, where in the settlement is this person? If it matters, I've already gotten the bone item from the person. (I'm combing areas for stuff I missed.)

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Your Computer posted:

e: also, someone tell I'm missing something important because I just arrived at the poison swamp and it makes me walk really slowly + fat roll, poison me, and all the non-slug enemies kill me in one hit. Surely this isn't how you're intended to go through it?

In no particular order:

The ghrues the ashen grey satyr fucks, particularly the ones without any visible weapons will rock your poo poo ten ways from Sunday if they manage to land on you from their slam dunk attack. These particular ones are always by their lonesome as far as I can remember, if you have to go through poo poo water to avoid them, then do so; you'll save yourself a lot of effort. Deep murk is denoted by lily pads. You have to venture out into the deep murk at least once to douse one of the flames out there. Go slow, use a ranged weapon to pull poo poo to you one at a time, don't gently caress with the big dudes. If you have the 14 faith for it, you can use the weapon art on the lowest level prayer chime to do a heal over time that does slightly more healing than what the poison can take away for cheap FP cost - mind you need to have the chime out for the buff to stick to you.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Question I died to holy knight Hollywood or whatever his name is and he won't come back. Is here a way to get him to come back?

Have you tried using an ember to regain your humanity-equivalent?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Finally found the Crystal Sage in the previous area and killed it and moved on

Could I please get some general directions to this jerk?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Directions.

Get the sewer key from the handmaiden. Sewer is in right next to the Dilapidated Bridge bonfire.

Thank you for the directions. :tipshat:

When does the handmaiden sell the sewer key? I got down there by removing all my armor, and embering to survive the plunge off the relatively short end of the chasm.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I updated my post because I realized you may not have it.

You need Mortician's Ashes which is in the target area the Giant shoots its arrows.

Right on, I just picked that up on my ongoing sweep through undead settlement. I missed a *lot* of goodies.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Mosch posted:

I really want to experience the game as spoiler free as possible, but I my first run is going to be a shared exploration with my wife. How soon can we play coop and how does the system work this time? I'm terrified of looking that stuff up in a wiki for fear of learning something that would detract from my enjoyment.

When you arrive at firelink shrine, the shrine maiden (along the way to Andre the smith from the center) will be selling the white soapstone for 500 souls and is the mechanic you need to co-op with.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Oh sweet!

Is there actually a legitimate way to get up there later?

Yes, the shrine maiden sells a 20k soul key and that allows you rooftop access.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

karn1635 posted:

I started as a Deprived. May have been a mistake. Deprived is game on "hard as gently caress mode."

Persevere, the knocks you get at the start will get you acclimated to the game. Once you get a weapon that isn't a table leg, and armor better than diapers, it's basically smooth sailing from there.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Get hosed you gigantic rear end in a top hat.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Minrad posted:

is a good zone and much better at accomplishing what the swamp tried in DS1. I genuinely got lost more than once, but I think the zone has enough rhyme to it once you know it that I could sketch out a simple map from memory and not get lost there again.

it helps that poison feels like the weakest it's ever been, to boot.

First glance I didn't like the swamp; coincidentally I didn't visit the Cathedral of the Deep first for it's poison resist gear and I didn't know about the quickstep weapon art. In hindsight, I actually do enjoy exploring around that hellhole and getting a feel for the land. I had to, more than once, go to high ground to see where to go. The watch_dog tower for example, gives you a perfectly clear view on which signal fires you haven't doused yet and you can more or less make a beeline to where you need to go. On the other hand, you need to be aware of the dangers of the swamp. Don't attack the solitary ghrues, don't attack the big fuckers wielding trees. Some things aren't worth dying for.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

For your crafting concerns. Among other things, Snuggly will trade:

Firebomb, Rope Firebomb for a Large Titanite Shard
Black Firebomb, Rope Black Firebomb for a Titanite Chunk
Prism Stone for a Twinkling Titanite

Dunno if you can keep trading or it just stops at one trade though.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

The first choice has an objectively correct decision:

You also get a number of items from the former that can help mitigate the stuff in the latter.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Lightning spear has drop off damage at range; it does more the closer you are to the target.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

double nine posted:

longbow vs crossbow, when which one?

Longbow requires two hands to use, shortbow requires two hands however it fires faster, crossbow can be one handed but reload relatively slowly.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Mr.PayDay posted:

Another question: Smashing wooden stuff is really useless, isnt it? I destroyed tons of boxes and barrels and there is never loot?

The vast majority of the time, if there's something in, or behind destructible debris, there will be really obvious like a white glow effect, or a orange sign saying "treasure ahead" or some such.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

There's a armor set that specifically mentions the major event that happened in Drangleic, and that it was a very long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

You can remove infusions rather easily with a shriving stone (or the like). They drop from the birdmans of Road of Sacrifice.