Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Octo1 posted:

If you want hatemail then you need to make invasions as long and as annoying as possible. Quick kills and clapping won't get you much in my experience.

Most hate mail I got in DS1 actually came from this. I'd chill out in the dark root garden as a shrub with chameleon and, if you picked the right spot, the glow from the environment would further mask your character. It was pretty great and was a nice alternative to cmw+wild pokes. On top of just annoying some players enough to shout at me online, I actually managed to make a few people panic and fall of cliffs with chameleon in a few locations in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I'm still hopeful that the DLC and any other expansions will turn DS3 from a solid experience into one rivaling DS1 or Bloodborne. I didn't play early DS2 but it sounds like it went through a real ugly duckling phase before becoming the elegant if misunderstood swan that it is today.

Yeah, DS2 really became great with SotFS. That's why I wish that DS3 did more to build on DS2/SotFS rather than return to a game more akin to DS1. Tweaked power stances that would allow for great variety (i.e. 1handers+medium shields, weapon and whip, or maybe even something like rapier+dagger) would have been a lot more interesting than the weapon arts, even if some are kind of cool. I did always find the parrying a bit squirrely in 2, which was a bummer. All that said, I too hope the DLC for the game changes it up since, as it stands, I probably enjoyed SotFS more. DS3 certainly has a few better bosses and I think the areas, in most cases, have more layers to them, but a lot of the gameplay itself didn't quite click with me.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Lakbay posted:

No one is gonna use the new pvp arena if the arena from the artorias dlc was any indication.

In my experience, people used the both the blue sentinel and brotherhood dueling arenas quite a bit in SotFS, so they may use the new one. Although I seemingly didn't have that much trouble with cheaters, since I racked up a decent tally in the blue sentinels there.

As for motivation in Bloodborne, you can probably consider the protagonist's willingness to keep going as a side effect of being in the dream. After all, it too is wrapped up in the machinations of eldritch weirdos from space and until you fulfill your duty you're stuck in the dream. Or maybe the protagonist just likes to get their hunt on. Either way works. And the cycle of relighting the flame works in Dark Souls works inasmuch as the third is about the cycle finally sputtering to a halt.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

DS2 is actually a bad game

Maybe true for vanilla 2, but I think SotFS is better than 3 is at the moment. And I say that admitted that I never grew to like the parries of 2 and tended to shy away from using piercing swords, which were my go to weapon in DS1 and NG in DS3.

Although I miss the espada ropera and its AR.

Torquemadras posted:

This is a joyless thread for grim people with haggard, bitterness-drenched beards

Embrace the fuckups of the fifth game and appreciate the 99% of moments where it works, in all its janky approximation of designer's intent - I do not need perfection with a compelling enough concept

How the gently caress do you think I ended up playing through Demon's Souls and loving it

I sort of agree with this, and think that DS3 usually works quite well. However, it has issues that are hard to ignore, especially if you do a lot of PvP.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

DS2 is the one where I use thrusting swords the most.

I think they have the best thrusting swords in any of the souls games in terms of damage. Even unoptimized for dex weapons, I do solid damage with the dark espada ropera I have on my char in SotFS. I was just bad at parrying in DS2 and didn't like that I couldn't power stance a sword and dagger (although, I think I remember using a power stance with the royal dirk/espada ropera). Just stuck to broadsword/shield and a handful of other weapons. Kept the ropera in my inventory though, since some people in pvp had trouble dealing with it. BB's cut and thrust reiterpallasch is the best of all the games though.

Vermain posted:

It's an okay game, but it's not the sort of game that should have been the climax of the series, nor should it have been the kind of game produced after From Software's been producing these sorts of games for years and years on end. It's not a refinement of the formula from before; it's reheated leftovers.

A bit harsh, but I agree. There are some really cool designs and clever decisions mixed in, but it really isn't sticking the landing on its final showing. However, after seeing how SotFS changed DS2, I'm actually excited for the DLC so I have been taking a break. Besides, if I need a souls fix I still have to beat NG++ Laurence in BB. That guy's a jerk and one shots me with a sneeze.

Just hard to find rpgs where fighting with a sword and shield isn't super boring, or where using a rapier means you're playing a thief-type of character (which is silly, given that rapiers really aren't the most stealthy, or light, weapons to use)

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Ninkobei posted:

apparently this is what boss fights in nioh look like. yikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewBIHBaTkao

I'd give the beta a shot before passing judgement on it. It's really fun to play and offers a surprising amount of nuance.

Torquemadras posted:

Hold on, hold on, I've got the next logical stage to go from here once it's found out that wonky netcode, collision and balance issues, obscure NPC quests and intentionally vague and incoherent story bits were present in every game

The Souls series was never actually good

Hahaha

I don't think it's fair to say criticism, even strong criticism, of Dark Souls 3 means you have to hate it. While I'm disappointed about certain aspects of the game compared to DS1 and SotFS, I still have had a lot of fun playing the game, exploring the world and, despite my complaints, dueling. Hell, just the other night I hopped into the game and was actually dueling a bit! It's rough edges, though, are just very noticeable.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Hopping back into the game to do some PvP and I can't help but feel Ricard's Rapier seems to be doing less damage than I remember even buffed. I know that flame swathe adds less to the AR than CMW did, but I still felt like I was hitting harder before sidelining thrusting swords on my quality build in favor of the broadsword/Lothric knight sword. The unbuffed AR is still floating around 373 for the refined RR, so maybe I'm just coming up against more people wearing heavier gear. The loss of the normal R2/lunge and press continues to be a bummer though. Although, the R2 on both the broadsword and Lothric knight sword continue to catch people off guard in a big way. Guess they still just expect people to mash the R1. Also seem to be running into a lot more gank squads, but that also is probably just bad luck on my part.

Unrelated to pvp, anyone have suggestions on a "go to" punching weapons? Not super interested in the claws, but I was thinking that it might be fun to slug it out with people like in DS2.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

HaB posted:

It's not. my Pugilist run was the most fun I had playing DS2 by FAR. The fist weapons SUCK in DS3. Unless requiring 5-6 hits to take down a low level mook is your thing. Aside from the Caestus, all you get is the fist you make from Old Demon King, and it's pretty underwhelming considering what it takes to get it.

Garrand posted:

My caestus build was fun but I built him like a tank and coopped with a friend. I enjoyed holding aggro and just perseverancing through the heavy hits while my buddy wailed on him with magic.

You're damage is pretty terrible, though.

That's too bad. I remember stripping down to nothing but a crown and punch people in SotFS. Especially good for people spamming acid cloud (the spell that broke your gear). After having this weird encounter in a duel where a person, not facing me, flashed, spun around, and stunlock punched me to death super quick I thought maybe I'd give it a go. Guess not.

Also, how terrible are we talking about with regards to damage?

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Garrand posted:

It's still playable, don't get me wrong. If I'm careful I can solo most of the bosses. The horrendously short range means you have to be both really careful while staying in their face and the boss fights can take a long time.

To note; I actually did hit this kind of sweet spot once I got 30+ str and 30+ dex where, with the Skilled Caestus (refined gem I think) I could actually kill players relatively quickly. Noticeably, people who use big slow weapons were the easiest targets because I'd just face tank the first blow and then punch the poo poo out of them. However, fast weapons like straight swords and katanas are almost unkillable for me because I just can't get a hit in.

When I first started I thought the pontiff's eye rings would be perfect; the more hits the more damage, right? I'm punching a bunch in rapid succession. But apparently From normalized it like it's an MMO; the faster the weapon the more hits you have to do before it starts to take effect. I think with the caestus it's something like 10 hits before those rings start to work and it's almost impossible to actually get that many hits in without having to back off for a while. Really disappointing.

That sucks. Guess I'll cross those weapons off the list along with great/ultra great weapons and twin swords.

Once I get back into the game a bit more seriously, I think I'll just try dusting off the old rapier and going back to a more dodge/parry oriented build than I currently am rolling with (which is effectively dodge/block). Might try sticking with the quality build though, since I like the versatility it offers more than I think I like CMW in DS3. Also, the refined RR does more base damage before buffing, so it's not that huge of a drop. And it served me quite well after replacing my normal rapier on my NG dex/int run where I was working with a simple parrying dagger/small shield + rapier for most of the game.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

I can't pvp at all. I wanted some pale tougnes to respec, but literally everyone is cooping and you are tag teamed. That, or there are just some people who have this game down to a science. I wore the aldritch thing and found a guy wearing havels set with a katana. He didn't attack me at all. I nailed him with a max level BKG and only did about half health before he rolled away and chugged.

I even nailed hi with a backstab but it only did 400 damage. Dude just plodded around during in havels set and ignored me like the trash hollows at the Lothric wall.

Or pyros who can infinity spam huge fireball.

I just can't fight other players.

Yeah, pvp in DS3 I think may be the toughest. While people harp on about R1 straight sword spam there are a number of weapons/moves and a few spells that are really nasty and surprisingly difficult to counter (moreso than the straight sword in my opinion). And the spells that do a good amount of damage, like the fire ball you're talking about, are real easy to spam. And avoiding backstabs in this can be tricky not only with some weird hit boxes in play, but occasionally bad net code. No real easy advice there.

Best way to get better at pvp is to just go to common duel areas, put your sign down, and do it that way. That way you don't need to worry about gank squads as often. It's how I learned to get marginally better at parrying players and timing R2s with various weapons. That experience makes invasions a bit easier.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Digirat posted:

The dungeon definitely felt weaker than tower of latria to me. The jump scares are so hilariously dumb that whoever decided to put them in should be ashamed--From's proven they can do incredibly good atmosphere without having to resort to jump scares of all things. I couldn't take the area seriously in any way after I saw the first one. It's not good when a 7-year old, much more experimental game does atmosphere better.

I agree. I also think that enemy placement, and type, helps add to the atmosphere in Latria as well. The Jailers in DS3 aren't quite as menacing as the mind flayers either, but I think that just may be personal preference there. I think my favorite "horror" area in one of From's games is the Upper Cathedral Ward. A few good jump scares, good music, and a nice use of sound makes the area a tense experience, albeit a shorter one than Latria.

DS3 has some really good areas but I don't think they quite have the atmosphere of some of the levels presented from previous entries in the game.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

No need to cheese them as they are super weak to bleed. Like hilariously weak. Just throw some Carthus Rogue on your weapon and you're good to go.

I think bleed in DS3 may be the best it has been in any of the Souls games. Lots of enemies and a few bosses are weak to it.

Also, I kind of wish the parrying dagger had parry mapped to R1 and weapon skill to R2, since it's not like you can attack with it when it's in the left hand. Would make using the RR more convenient.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

I need to take a break from this game. I've really been no-lifing it for weeks now, and it's become dull. Each time I start a new character I *swear* to myself I'm going to try something other than a sword/shield turtle, but I always end up as one. I'll dabble as a strict two-hander, but I never stick it out. I'm so bad at timing dodges and rolling that I'll lose and go back to a shield. I've never even tried magic or pyromancy, and that's because everyone says they suck.

Then I begin obsessing over fashion souls, but that never pans out either. I'll try +10'ing some other weapon I don't use, like a spear or mace, but end up losing motivation at around +7 when the titanite chunks become scarce, and especially when I realize I won't be able to make it +10 until new game+.

I just recently tried making a 'melee-mage' found in in this video , but all it is is a melee class without a shield. The only magic part about it is the weapon buff.

I might, *might* try bloodborne again since there is only one real way to play it: Fromsoft's way, and that's a fast attack.

While magic is certainly limited in DS3 I wouldn't say it sucks. You just have to commit to an offensive magic build. In pvp one of the trickiest fights in my experience are intelligent casters since they have a lot of moves that can interrupt/chip away at you while they line up their powerful spells that can one shot you. With pyromancies it's similar, though there is a whole lot more spell spam there. Again, though, you really gotta commit to it.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

I gotta agree with KingSlime to some extent. I have had quite a bit of fun with DS3, but SotFS PvP is a lot better. More build diversity, harder to simply roll away and heal, stuff like that made help to make it really fun experience compared to what we got with DS3. DS3 should've built more on DS2 in my opinion. Sure it is weird to go back to, with its strange mix of fast and slow animations/movement speed, but it feels good in a way a lot of 3 does not. I'd also say that pve coop was a lot better in DS2, as were the blue sentinels. Even weapon arts don't all feel super fleshed out and, with the need to use two hands or specific shields to use them, a lot seem pretty limited in their use. Leaving aside everything else, I'd play DS2 multiplayer over DS3 almost any time. I think that DS3 may have, overall, some better bosses, but even then I just enjoyed most of the aspects of SotFS more, even if I didn't always like power stancing, parrying, and the rapiers getting a parry for their R2.

I love the series, still, and am hoping the DLC will be solid, but DS3 wasn't the best way to end it. Thankfully, Bloodborne is on point and probably the best of the bunch!

Platypus Farm posted:

Salt and Sanctuary also takes a cue from Dark Souls in that once you're 2/3 of the way through the game, the rest is a horrible loving slog

I've always found that the last bits of the Souls games to wrap up quickly, unless you're talking DS2 with all of the DLC in place, though I generally enjoyed those areas.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

No, I mean like post-lordvessel DS1, the last third of DS2. The areas where it's really obvious they realized they were out of time, and just pushed the areas out to get the game done.

But yeah bloodborne is definitely the best, and the dlc is wonderful so I can probably just keep playing that forever if I'm being honest.

edit: nah, Demon's Souls is also great right through to the end. I really hope they're doing some kind of re-release of it. I don't need any new systems, I don't need anything. I just want to play it without having to plug in the ps3

I guess I can kind of see that, though I still enjoyed that stuff. I do agree with you about Demon's Souls being really good in terms of levels and pacing throughout. Even if it hasn't aged super gracefully.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

Is the only way to get Yorshka's chime to kill her?

Yes. If I recall correctly, though, it's worth it for faith builds. Very powerful and it's weapon art can heal you if you keep it equipped.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

What's the infusion people tend to go with? I played sword+board last time so I'd like to use a fuckoff huge weapon this time.

Did they ever need straight swords?

You never really "need" straight swords. Just play around with whatever weapons you want to use to as stand-ins until you meet the reqs for your "end game" kit. If you want to use bigger weapons, maybe forego shields entirely to explore some weapon arts, because it seems like two-handers tend to have more versatile abilities than their one handed counterparts, at least in terms of straight swords.

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 25, 2016

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I hesitate to call this a good fight cause its preceded by King of Storms, one of the most terribly designed fights in the entire series.

gently caress that dumb dragon and its camera fuckery. No wonder Gwyn wanted to kill them all.

I didn't find the king of storms nearly that bad. I honestly thought he was pretty easy to game too, since keeping the right amount of distance lets you set the pace of the fight (more or less). His head is also easy enough to target, which makes it go a lot faster. I felt Kalameet was more annoying to fight.

Also, while I can understand why people would like Yhorm, I thought the fight itself is a bit on the weak side. He's pretty easy to avoid and really is only interesting due to his involvement in Siegward's quest.

notZaar posted:

How come all the bad guys in this game have about a foot of height on the player character? It's weird.

I always figured Miyazaki just liked big enemies since they both look weird, as you say, and make it easier to keep track of the player character on the screen.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

holy poo poo the sabre is good for invasions. the weapon art destroys people.

Old post, but the Follower's Sabre is good in general. So far it might be my favorite of the DLC weapons. The Crow Quills Rapier is pretty good and does 399 on my 40/40 character with a sharp infusion, while a refined Follower's Sabre sits at 431 and has more versatile attack animation and weapon art. The rapier's critical stat is nice though and it does do thrust damage, which is quite nice. If only the sabre could thrust!

Can't quite figure out how to most effectively use those throwing knives.

Also, how is Valorheart working out for people? I like the idea of a paired sword and shield in a Souls game and think its long overdue, but I hear some mixed things about this set.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Frankston posted:

I'm the same way brother :hfive:

Though DS2 was my entry into the series so I'm biased.

DS2 has lots to recommend it, especially after SotFS, but DS3 has its good points too. I just think the bits that don't feel "right" in DS3 are really tough to deal with, especially after BB. That said, I sort of like the design of DS3's snowy DLC more than DS2.

And good to hear about the Valorheart. I might give it a whirl and try to get use to it. Although I'm having lots of fun with the sabre and new rapier too.

I also liked the Champion's Gravetender and the Greatwolf, since there aren't enough opportunities to parry bosses in this.

Also, I'm still not done with the DLC, but I have to check out those crabs. That looks crazy.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

DS2 is way better about having varied builds than any other game in the series due to powerstancing.

There's very little incentive to offhand a weapon in DS3. People usually just twohand whatever their weapon of choice is.

I always thought powerstancing was hit or miss. There also should have been more options like weapon/dagger, weapon/shield and maybe a handful of unique combos. Would've made it more interesting for people that aren't fans of dual wielding. That said, I think there were other systems in play that helped add to variety in DS2 beyond powerstancing.

I think weapon arts were intended to inject combat with a bit more flavor, but I don't think it really panned out that way. A lot of the arts I've played with just aren't worth losing the ability to block or parry. Also kind of silly to have to "twohand" a one-handed straight sword or thrusting sword. And while I've noticed a lot of twohanders in DS3, especially since I think they're pretty easy to use in PvP, I think that's always been an issue with the series. They've always hit hard and have had pretty forgiving tracking, making them perfect for a lot of players that can only tank. Also some can't be parried when used in two hands, which is a bit silly.

For what it's worth, though, I've noticed a lot more spell casters in PvP lately.

And as for parrying in the souls games, I think it's easiest to pull of in DS3. Although I've given up trying to use the dagger in pvp and just stick to the buckler.

Nuebot posted:

I like that people are starting to look more favorably on dark souls 2 now. It's my favorite in the series despite its flaws and it was always kind of a bummer that so many people poo poo on it for arbitrary reasons like "B TEAM!" and "They changed the lighting!" but ignored the cool stuff it had like, in my opinion at least, the semi-open maps that let you loop around without really forcing you to backtrack, the best covenants in the series and a huge variety of weapons, dual wielding in particular was really fun to play with.

I think SotFS really helps with people's view of the game as well since vanilla was pretty rough. I beat vanilla DS2 on the PS3 but never really went back to it after that.

BB is still the best Souls game though.

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 28, 2016

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Zhulik posted:

I'm surprised how little Vanquisher's Seal comes up when people list good things about DS2. Shirtlessly pummeling all foes with your bare hands was just the best.

That was indeed a great feature of DS2 and was basically my primary way of actually dueling after a certain point.

Sapozhnik posted:

I played DS1 after DS2. Didn't get into DS1 back in the day because I wasn't really a console gamer at the time and didn't feel like dealing with GFWL or all the DSFix bullshit to get it running.

irl Estocs are wielded with a two-handed grip so it's not that dumb

but yeah actually I think DS3's double weapons are a much better mechanic than powerstancing.

That is true for many historical estocs and one reason why I like the design of it in DS, though I never used it in DS3 cause a lot of people ran with it. It is weird, though, that they give the estoc a cutting attack though, considering how purpose built many historical examples were. Then again, I'm just happy that most of the rapiers are more accurate with regards to their size than they are in most fantasy games.

And it does actually make sense for a lot of the weapons, like most the straight swords, to be two handed since many of them have the proportions of historical long swords, which were optimized for two handed use. Blades like the broadsword, one of my favorites, to the short sword look a bit off for this reason. That said, I would have preferred a discrete class for "one handers," but that would've been a lot of work 3 games into the series.

Also kind of wish there was a usable item to serve as an anti-magic field.

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 28, 2016

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Genocyber posted:

I mean they are kind of objectively worse than the other weapon classes. Especially now that greatswords have both poise (2handed) and quick attacks (1handed). Granted if you're only using what's objectively the best, especially in duels, you're kind of missing the point since the PVP in these games is not competitive. But aside from Yhorm's Great Machete's ridiculous reach, the stupidly long rolling poke some ultra greatswords have, and the Great/Large club horizontal r2, they're just kind of garbage if you're fighting someone who's not poo poo, double so if they're using a quick weapon.

Big weapons are a nightmare when they come in packs though. Three players spamming those are only easily countered by magic, especially when they clump up. On their own, GS and UGS are dangerous if you're too aggressive cause certain moves track real well and can punish over-commitment to a move nicely as a result.

But yeah, these games are still more about PvE than PvE, so really you can play around with lots of stuff even in DS3. Never really gravitated to pure magic or faith builds, but even casting can be good fun.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

big trivia FAIL posted:

I'm doing the DL on my lvl50 with a Raw +7 dragonslayer axe. Champion Gravetender is the hardest thing in the game so far. It's his dire wolf. :-(.

Yeah, the wolf can be tough. The champion is easy enough to parry kill, but the wolf requires some spot on dodging to avoid his most damaging moves, like that really nasty charge of his.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I get that R1 spam with straight swords (and I'd add katanas, since most users of those I've seen spam) is bad, but I think the souls game have always had issues with that. DS3 is just worse than the others because the speed of the combat and the systems in the game seem to encourage it. I'd say that holds true for many weapons, though, since I see most players spam the same spells/weapon arts/or attacks regardless of the weapons their using. Hell, people even spam parry, especially when using the caestus. In PvP it's annoying but can be fairly easy to parry, if you don't get screwed by weird the game's hit boxes, and in PvE it's not really new since all of the souls games have paths of least resistance for players that needed/wanted them. I do agree, though, that a lot of the stuff in DS3 feels "off" compared to its predecessors, including the way the game handles PvP in general. Dodging seems to be pretty strong in DS3, though, especially compared to to its predecessor. Probably why I've found it so easy to roll around with a Sabre/Avelyn combo even in PvP.

Also, as far as parrying is concerned, I think DS2 probably had the hardest parries since I couldn't really ever "click" with the mechanics behind them in that game. On the other hand, I've had no real problems in DS1/BB/DS3. I can even land parries in duels pretty regularly on players in DS3.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i always play a slow 2hand guy and i didn't run by poo poo. you gotta be good about abusing ai/kiting/pulling etc.

the dlc last boss was cool but i don't think it needed phase 3 (and i actually died cuz i minimized after phase 2 thinking it was over). i didn't realize there was a summon that trivialized the second phase until after i beat the dlc so now it makes sense there's a third phase but still some of us got good and beat all bosses solo.

I always thought two-handers were pretty easy to use in the Souls games. In 3, using them without shields probably requires a bit more timing, but in my experience it isn't uncommon to see people running the GS/UGS alone. I could imagine it being a difficult weapon type to use on the Brothers or the Nameless King though. Then again, I see more people "two-handing" weapons in general in DS3 so that just might be part of it.

And while I generally try to avoid summoning, I enjoy finding and working with the NPCs. I did it more in 2 since there were more of them - and they were more fun to fight with - but DS3 has some cool ones too. Sort of makes me feel like I'm engaging with the world more, as silly as that may be. (They also gate at least one trophy behind summoning NPCs in DS3). Some bosses in these games, though, should always be done alone - like Alonne or the Nameless King!

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Picked up the DLC after a break away from the game and my experiences with the content itself have generally been good. I like some of the balance changes that came with the patches - though I am not sure I like some of the tweaks or lack of tweaks for certain weapons/skills/spells. The technical improvements on the PS4 pro are quite nice, however, and are definitely welcome. Runs much smoother and allows me to enjoy the DLC areas with less stuttering/slowdown. As for the DLC areas, I like the environment design quite a bit and have had fun with most of the enemies and bosses thus far. The normal enemies are pretty tough but I only found two, the angels and the ring knight longsword wielding ringed knights, to be really tricky. No complaints on the bosses so far, even if Judicator Argo was slightly underwhelming. Getting the feeling that maybe running around with my NG+ char might not have been such a hot idea after such a long break, but I'm planning to force myself back into the groove (especiallyy since I realized that I only need that dumb ring trophy).

As for the lore, I'm not done the DLC just yet so I can't really comment too much on that, but I've liked the vibe of it so far. Overall it's been an improvement over Ariandel, which itself was generally a fun experience.

Also, getting back into DkS3 after a long break from it quickly reminded me of all the issues I have with how the game actually plays. It's definitely the most fluid of the Dark Souls games but a lot of the additions and changes to combat really fall flat with me.

Finally, anyone still think a Follower's Sabre is a decent choice for quality builds? Since it's been rebalanced I might give it a whirl again. Felt kind of cheap using it pre-patch and I just put it aside despite liking the way it looks.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

skasion posted:

Catacombs are a great zone, don't get the hate. They're reasonably challenging if you do an early run to pick up kindling, but by the time you get the lordvessel and the game pushes you in that direction they're just fun to explore with plenty of trash foes to wipe out. Pinwheel is easy because he's a potential first boss, but probably a bit too easy even at low levels.

Though I didn't mind the catacombs, I can understand why some players might. They're right next to the Shrine and can easily lead an unprepared player into an area with enemies that they might find overwhelming, especially if they aren't aware of the necromancers. Pinwheel is definitely too easy though and really isn't a threat even on a first time NG run. That said, I definitely would go to bat for the area! It's pretty easy to speed through once you know where to fall as well!

Worst area in DkS1 in my opinion is Blighttown.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not sure how anyone can say the worst area in DS1 is anything other than Lost Izalith.

Pinwheel is one of my favorite bosses aesthetically but I think he still wins the award for biggest chump in the whole series. Like, there are easy bosses I enjoyed such as Deacons and Skeleton Lords but Pinwheel flops over so quickly he's not even fun to beat up.

While I sort of forgot about Lost Izalith when writing that, it was still less tedious to deal with than Blighttown on my first playthrough, but it's certainly up there for bad areas - especially without the shortcut. And the Bed of Chaos was not the greatest boss fight in the world. Blighttown just rubbed me the wrong way I guess.

veni veni veni posted:

I just went into the first dlc for the first time at sl 25. Should I just peace out and come back? I'm guessing this is not geared towards and early game character.

I think that's the right call. Although that area has some fun stuff in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Beat Gael and now just have Miridir left and ring collection to do (if I want to get the last trophy that is). The Gael fight itself was really fun, even if it did take me one too many tries as result of my rustiness. Still fun and worth doing alone, which is the plan for the dragon. Overall, DkS3 was a pretty fun experience, but it was definitely not my favorite of the Souls games. For a number of reasons I just haven't really been into how it plays as much as the previous 2. I like the general speed of the game and have a better grasp of parrying in this one, but a lot of the changes just don't land with me. Locations and music are a bit of a mixed bag as well, although I really liked the areas in the final DLC. Lore-wise I think the game, and its DLCs, have some issues but are generally fine. And the Ringed City does a good job of evoking an apocalyptic feeling, especially with its visuals.

With regards to the multiplayer, I found coop and pvp less fun than in previous games. Invasions were far more fun in 2 and the associated covenants worked more regularly. Even on my high level character I could get summoned to help players as a blue sentinel, invade a sinner, or get summoned to the bell tower. Also, cooperative play seemed far more common and more fun in 2. I also liked the NPC summons more in 2, even if some of them were pretty ridiculous in SotFS. As for 1, I still have fond memories of using chameleon to spook people in Darkroot Garden with my spellsword. Still were some fun places to do invasions in 3, but I just couldn't get into it like previous games. I'm still farming sword grass and proofs of concord kept because I overleveled for those covenants way too quickly!

And I'm still going to stick by my guns with Blighttown. I liked aspects of its design (like the verticality which someone else noted) but found those little flies, some of the layout, and the technical issues on the PS3 tedious. It did connect to Ash Lake which, while simple, was a cool area! Izalith wasn't great either (in fact, it was on the tedious as well) but I just found it easier to speed through, especially when tracking down items. Didn't mind the centipede too much, but I still think the Bed of Chaos may be one of the most disappointing bosses in the series. Not that hard but poorly executed in my opinion.

I might return to 3 with a new char, but I'm more likely to jump back into BB or play around with Nioh.

Maleh-Vor posted:

I was listening to Gael's themes and the first phase is amazing. I mean, the second phase is epic as hell, but the first one is just beautiful. It's so brooding.

Definitely. The fight, the music, and the arena are all really good!

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 5, 2017