Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Game bought and preloading.... I guess maybe I should actually watch the trailers for this game for the first time while I'm waiting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It comes out in a couple of hours but I can't play it for a few hours yet. This is the worst thing that has ever happened to anybody in the entire history of the world :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just got out of the High Wall of Lothric, man this game is pretty and runs smooth as silk.

That thing on the roof though that flies into a giant tantrum..... :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Good goddamn I was not expecting heavy artillery to start firing on me in Undead Settlement, though it was fun to round up a bunch of undead and get them to chase me into the path of all that destruction :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ultrachrist posted:

First time I saw that uchigata guy, I hosed him up with fireballs but he got a lucky hit in and we killed eachother at the same time. Then on the way back to get my souls (hadn't spent any since killing that first boss), I got cornered by the joke easy hollow enemies and rolled off the side to my death. Shows how good I am at this game.

I can't remember the first time I read it, and I know it's probably been said a million times before and since, but the line,"Dark Souls: The Real Enemy is Hubris" is so, so accurate :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anal Surgery posted:

Anal Surgery's Trip To Undead Settlement!

Night 1: gently caress, lot of hard poo poo. I'll just sprint past these dudes and this fat lady and, say, a bonfire by a cemetery where everyone is getting shot with giant arrows. Sprint sprint sprint, now I'm seeing that Tree everyone is talking about. Time for sleep, I think I'm not supposed to fight it yet.Huh, what a short, linear area!

That's where I ended up my first play session too, had the same thought.

Anal Surgery posted:

Night 2: Oh, I never went to the right after the first hanging body house.

:stare:

Oh poo poo, I guess I better do this too!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man, Undead Settlement was way bigger than I thought it was once I learned to look very slightly to the right :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zotix posted:

Is this game as dog poo poo on PC as I'm reading?

Runs absolutely fine for me on high settings with a 770, which is hardly a top tier card.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dammit, hit a crash in the exact same spot several times in a row. Hopefully if I leave the game for awhile it'll resolve. It's at the bonfire after Crystal Sage, going up the stairs and fighting those two enemies. I was doing quite well against them but every time I got them down to about half health my game crashes and I get a "Dark Souls III has stopped working" message :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man, Deacons of the Deep was a cool fight, and it's so satisfying to do big sweeping attacks during it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just beat the Abyss Watchers on the second try.... I'm now incredibly nervous that it was too easy and something is gonna leap out of the shadows and bite me in the rear end :tinfoil:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man I've hit a wall on Pontiff, will have to take a rest and come back to it later because I was getting frustrated and making mistakes. Every time I thought I had him I'd gently caress up or get caught in a corner or something stupid. Thought the fight was going to be easy through the first half, then when things changed up I figured it was just a matter or prioritizing, but I was too conservative and let him summon another mirror-image after killing the first and I just got overwhelmed. This is probably the toughest fight I've experienced so far in the game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Platypus Farm posted:

Mimics are my favorite enemy in everything. Just listen to how much fun they're having!

Watching it gently caress up that demon in the same area Anal Surgery mentioned was fantastic :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pr0phecy posted:

Any ETA on a patch? :sigh:

There's a fresh patch scheduled for a couple of days from now, I think.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ruggington posted:

Rip Wolnir, you were super loving cool

He had a big ol' smile on his face when first showed up on my screen. Finally a new friend!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chalk me up as another person who didn't use the Storm Ruler properly and was getting very frustrated until I figured it out. That was quite fun :allears:

On an unrelated note:

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Anri questline:
WHAT DID I JUST DO! :stare:
WHY DID I DO THAT!!! :gonk:

Yeah, that was.... I'm a monster.... :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shoehead posted:

So I met him after buying the 20k key and while I was on my way back down the tower.
On my second play through it didn't happen and I'm not sure if it's cos I did it immediately before Vordt. Might have been too early?

Nah I didn't go up there till after that and nothing happened, but I went back today while just messing about and it happened.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Azran posted:

It's a shame not many people let the boss live long enough to allow it to use its cool, coordinated special attack. It's quite the spectacle!

Is that when they form the giant growing death cloud over their heads? I think that happened on my second attempt and after that I made a point of burning them down as fast as possible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just before the Aldrich Boss Fight, I immediately and eagerly turned left at the top of the stairs leading into the building with the fog gate and (prior game reference) the Giant Blacksmith is dead :smith:

I don't know why I was surprised, but that was kinda depressing :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Well, Yhorm the Giant was a humongous pushover.

Best part of that is reading the item description on the thing you pick up by his throne.

"Oh so you guys don't trust me, huh? Well fine here's a super-cool weapon that could gently caress me up, that''ll show you! There's no way this will come back to bite me in the rear end down the road!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BillmasterCozb posted:

Isn't that the point, though? He's showing the humans that if they don't want him around, they can just murder the hell out of him

I read it as him thinking that he was always going to be the noble good guy/hero and this was more a,"gently caress you for being prejudiced" thing. Only enough time passed/the world got hosed enough that he abandoned his throne. Basically, just like with all players, hubris was his ultimate downfall.

Pillars of Eternity 2 looking good!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

flowinprose posted:

They are controlled by the skeleton's wearing little wizard hats. If you kill them, the ball will dissipate the next time it hits a wall.

:aaa:

Many lives have been lost in vain.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The one invader doing the collapse gesture is the best :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Any tip for Aldrich? This guy is wrecking me.

I wouldn't mind some advice either, got stuck there last night and decided to take a break rather than bashing my head against the wall.

I can handle the first phase fine, it's just a matter of staying close enough so she uses melee instead of homing/ranged attacks, and the arrow storm can be avoided by standing in front of her and then rolling behind after she's opened fire since they spread out forward in the direction you were standing when she opened fire. But in the second phase I'm really struggling because if I stay too close I get hit by her flames, but if I keep my distance she opens up with ranged attacks again that I really struggle to avoid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Also why is the sun black?

It comes up surprisingly little in the game, but the entire Dark Souls franchise is meant to be narratively bookended by the reveal that it's a dream Chris Cornell was having before writing Black Hole Sun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mazerunner posted:

Aldritch is a dude snake monster devouring another dude, who was raised as a woman and has tentacles for legs :gay: I didn't have too much trouble with the fight but I can't really offer any trick. Just sort of... get in behind, and close. The fire tracks where he moves/attacks, but if you're behind him it's ok. The one thing is he'll kind of twist around and do a big melee swing back at you, but it's not too bad to dodge. The other thing is the knife storm, which is lovely. The first phase isn't bad, just get behind, but the second phase where it tracks is a bitch. You can run/roll in perpindiculars, but it lasts so long that he'll start another move and that sucks. When he reappears, he almost always does the small homing flurry, which you can dodge while moving in, so that's good at least.

Thanks for the advice (and the horrifying reveal of the nature of what it is :gonk:) - as with most DS fights I'm picking that a few more tries and I'll get it :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Beat Aldrich, felt like quite the tough guy :smug:

Not very long afterwards

v:shobon:v

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Two straight hours of getting Dancer down to within a couple of hits only for something to go horribly wrong (sometimes my fault, sometimes a geometry glitch, sometimes SOME BULLSHIT :argh:) and finally I had to throw in the towel to get some sleep.

I just want to move on past her :negative:

voltcatfish posted:

Well they still hasn't changed how the chain is positioned so it'll never fool me

I just always hit a chest before trying to open it.

The ONE time I forgot to do that.... it was a Mimic :xd:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

On a first playthrough it's beat them myself or nothing. It's stubborn I know, but I'd feel like I haven't actually beaten them otherwise.

Anyway, I know what needs to be done, I can get close enough to smell victory, it's just a matter or time and a little bit of luck and I'll be moving past her. Every single Souls game, there is always one boss that is like a brick wall for me and I'll spend 2-3 days just getting hammered till finally putting them down and after that everything else is smooth sailing (I hope!).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lotish posted:

Get to Wolnir (the boss) then break the bridge from his side and climb down.

Important thing to note is that between the player dying and respawning, the skeletons apparently repair the bridge. As I found out when I ran back there to avoid being shelled by artillery only to discover my "ladder" back up was gone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I finally figured out how to get to the prison tower bonfire above the Church. I need to watch The Last Crusade again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Samfucius posted:

Ugh, I get the wink wink with the archers and the narrow walkways, but they aren't any fun. Is it viable just to run past them? They were fun in the first one when I played BK halberd and a giant gently caress-off shield, but my current build doesn't really do that. If I could summon help without getting the poo poo kicked out of my by the defending covenant it would be okay, but I am apparently trash in PVP.

If you can get past them once, there's an archway that leads to a gate on the same level as those fireball casting deacons above the sleeping giants, you can use that as a shortcut from that point on (or you know, just bonfire teleport).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Heh, this Untended Graves Boss doesn't seem like much :smug:
Boss takes a shitload of meth
:stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I moved past the Untended Graves boss and explored a little further, spoke to the person there and then went back to Firelink Shrine and chatted with Ludleth.

Sooooo, in Dark Souls 1 & 2 poo poo was hosed. In this game, poo poo is TURBO-hosed :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

kater posted:

I unno, that zone seems so hamfisted that it doesn't really deserve to fit anywhere. Like it is a cool concept but why on earth is it connected to anything.

If I'm understanding what happened properly, that shrine was the one from Ludleth's world, and when the chosen Undead didn't rise (presumably that's the body the harpies are hanging around, it's the equivalent to where you first rose from the dead) and the bonfires weren't linked, Ludleth "willed" a new pocket reality to be formed where the linking could happen? If that's right, then I'm presuming Untended Graves is where it is because it's the point where Ludleth entered the game world after willing it into existence?

I might be getting that all wrong, but based on what he told me, and what the person at the end of UG said, and the Firekeeper's "vision", that's how I took things to be. Which makes the world even more hosed up than I thought.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dunk head in wax, y/n?

Come on From, who is going to say no!?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Question regarding what happens after the Boss at the end of Lothric Castle:

I defeated him and got the Cinders of a Lord from him, and I assumed the King Lothric throne in Firelink Shrine would be where I put it (despite him only being a Prince?), but I don't seem to be getting an option to interact with it - am I missing something incredibly obvious?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shoenin posted:

the option to put it should be somewhere in front of the chair, underneath its platform or something.

Its weird.

Your Computer posted:

Placing them can be a bit finicky, try standing a little bit away.

Thanks, will try again next time I play. I'm assuming that opens up the end of the game so I'll explore around a little bit more. From what I've picked up even while trying to avoid spoilers, I think there are a couple of optional areas I haven't gotten to yet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Nameless King being a stumbling block I'm not really surprised by, but I'm astonished people are saying Champion Gundyr is a wall. I killed him in like 4-5 tries

Only issue I really had with Champion was his second phase where he didn't really allow any time between combos. Once I had his timing down though it was pretty straightforward, just a matter or getting myself into position to hit him when he trapped in a combo pointed in the wrong direction.

I had trouble with Aldrich and then really hit the wall with Dancer, once I was past her even on the bosses I needed multiple attempts at I didn't feel frustrated - it was fairly obvious what I was doing wrong/what I needed to do to beat them. With Dancer, I think it was the odd combination of her relatively slow movement being followed by super-fast and huge attacks that really screwed me over - I really struggled to get a sense of the timing I needed to avoid her attacks. Kinda odd that she was so much more difficult than the final Lothric Castle Boss, who moves so much faster but feels easier to read/avoid than she did. To me at least.

I made it to the Flame of the First Kiln but left to explore the AD Peak, I understand the final Boss there is supposed to be super-hard, so it'll be interesting to see how I do. After that, I think I've done all the areas, so it'll be time for the Final Boss and an end to this run, though I wouldn't mind either NG+ or starting a new character to see if I can properly do the NPC stories (I never meet a third of them I don't think, and others either died or I never followed up enough on their personal quests for them to ever say anything new).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God Nameless King is going to be the death of me. It's so frustrating getting through the first part of the fight only to be insta-killed and have to do the whole thing all over again. It's bringing back long repressed memories of Ornstein and Smough.