Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/joanneprada/status/735599136494477313

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Crow Jane posted:

I had a high school friend who lied constantly, but like... benevolently? She had overheard the boy you liked talking about you!

This does not sound benevolent at all. It sounds like someone trying to trick you into making a jackass out of yourself.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

quote:

my brother (who is 6'4) picked the jerk up by his shirt collar, held him more than a foot off the ground for a full minute

This troper doesn't know how long a minute is.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

the chaos engine posted:

For as long as I can remember, I've had this childhood memory: I was playing outside, messed around w a sewer grate, the thing fell and four fingers on my left hand got chopped off clean.

A couple of years ago, I was talking to some friends, one of those conversations about scars and accidents, so I started telling that story. Halfway through I realised that I still have all of my fingers and that poo poo definitely never happened what the gently caress did you make me believe all my life, brain

:psyboom: That is as terrifying as it is impressive. Brains are something else.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

This sounds like April Ludgate and Andy Dwyer Burt Macklin.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I rarely feel secondhand embarrassment as strong as what I felt when I read this. I think it's because I have a personal rule to always believe people of color when they talk about racist incidents they've experienced, and so I want to be on her side on principle, but I completely can't. :negative:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

GreenMetalSun posted:

I rolled my eyes so hard they popped out of my head.

15 and in the 5th grade? :raise:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Labelmakers are also great for learning other languages :unsmith:

I miss having a labelmaker.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Cursory search indicates you still need to have made some sort of cultural or social impact in order to be considered. I think they want several links, media appearances, etc.

I happened upon the Twitter page of a professional Halo player and he was verified, so I'm not totally sure what the standard is these days.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

bean_shadow posted:

Do any childfree women here get constant poo poo for not wanting kids?

Though I do catch poo poo for it, it's nowhere near constant, but I'm also single and living in New York City so being a childless woman is a lot more socially acceptable here.

quote:

How often does this happen to the average childfree woman?

I can't really speak for everyone, but it comes up enough that it can get kind of annoying. I can't imagine how much more poo poo people get when they're in committed relationships with no intention of having children.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
What did it say? It's deleted now. :(

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Wow, didn't scroll up enough. Thanks!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Byzantine posted:

"Gee, Byzantine, why don't you wanna have kids?" :ocelot:

Catberry posted:

No because I really don't want kids and any interaction with kids just reaffirms it. Morality has nothing to do with it.

I like the cut of your jib. I feel like every time I get on the train, another of my eggs shrivels up.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Samizdata posted:

I suspect, for a lot of kids, it is because they can. They're learning about the universe and their place in it. Yelling makes a sound THEY made, and people RESPOND!

MUST YELL AGAIN!

(Or they are just having a good time. Other people yell, why not them?)

It seems likely that they're also just exercising their vocal cords a lot of the time. Still annoying as gently caress, whether or not it makes logical/evolutionary sense.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Samizdata posted:

Good thing people were patient when you were a wee one.

Yeah, good thing birth control is a thing too.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I don't even know what's supposed to be happening in this narrative, but the idea of someone's mom gleefully reblogging their smutty fanfiction is loving repulsive and horrible.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

EmmyOk posted:

My most recalled memories are the incredibly embarrassing things I did in my teens that haunt me every moment awake or not so I'm glad they're mainly false. Can't believe mam made me wear those shoes to that disco...

Unfortunately I wrote everything down in diaries from the time I was 7 until I was about 19, so my worst memories probably really happened. On the bright side, my best ones probably did too. :unsmith:

chitoryu12 posted:

In 11th grade, there was a girl in Drama Club who pissed off virtually everyone (including all of her existing friends) through really lovely behavior. She decided that the appropriate way to deal with this was to dramatically fall, lightly knock her head on the ground, and wake up claiming total amnesia of the entirety of high school.

This sounds absolutely hilarious. I was in drama club for two years of middle school and all four years of high school, and unfortunately either everyone was super normal or we were all just equally weird.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

TheKennedys posted:

Because I wrote it all down, I can't forget it even if I want to, but I tended towards at least mild exaggeration and incredible arrogance for a lot of it, so I'm not actually positive sometimes what actually happened underneath Younger TK's rewriting of history to make herself look better. :smith:

I actually refused to write things down if I couldn't remember them in excruciating detail. As a result, I have a lot of brief nearly-verbatim transcripts of conversations in which I'm clearly getting owned, but I didn't realize until I read it back years later.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Could have ended it there. Achewood has had like three chuckle-worthy jokes in it's entire run.

The strip with Lil Nephew sagging his pants so low that he had belted individual pants onto each of his legs still gives me uncontrollable giggles. Achewood is awesome (or was at least awesome in the mid-late '00s).

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Zipperelli. posted:

Not sure where they get "bleed the lizard" from, but regardless, both iterations are cringy as gently caress.

I'm pretty sure I heard "bleed the lizard" on the Simpsons episode where Bart learns to talk like a snowboarder.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I would love (not really) to hear a 3-year old try to enunciate "mythological figure".

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Nth Doctor posted:

I have a colleague who was forcibly corrected to write with his right hand back in grade school in the 70’s, and as a result, holds his pen in an unusual grip. What's weirder, though, is he uses his left hand on his computer mouse!

I'm a lefty but this throws me for a complete loop every time. His mouse buttons are also swapped.

I've been right-handed from birth, but I started using a mouse lefty when I had a tech support job where my desk was positioned in such a way that it was more comfortable to use a mouse on my left side. No button-swapping though.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
This poo poo has been making the rounds lately

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
This trend of taking screenshots of Tumblr conversations & posting them on other social media platforms needs to die soon.

TheMostFrench posted:

Reaction gifs are like laugh tracks, they prompt people on how to respond.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
How many screenshots of Tumblr conversations ever involve stuff that actually happened?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
The most recent dream I remember having is one in which Mark Canha (Oakland A's outfielder) & I fought zombies together and people bitten by zombies got flushed down toilets into hell.

Bargearse posted:

I swear I must be the only one who finds them even slightly interesting.

I love hearing/reading about people's dreams :unsmith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
The last That Girl I encountered was in the early 2010s, when we were both in our early-mid 20s. She had a fake Norwegian last name and every member of every northern European band was in love with her. Every time I went to a show and ran into the band outside or something, I'd ask them if they knew her, and they invariably said no. When I told them that she told me they were in love with her, they'd just laugh.

I don't remember all the details because she randomly disappeared out of my life shortly afterward and none of my friends ever had contact with her again. If I didn't have pictures of her, I would have assumed that she was some weird fever dream.

edit:

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Most of the weird stuff she says is easily disproved by Google and she is an extremely wealthy and successful person, so we're really not sure where this behavior comes from.

To be honest, it sounds like she's bored.

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Sep 9, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Stack Machine posted:

The cashier lost it and walked away from the register.

Even if this did happen, the cashier didn't walk away for the reasons this person thought they did.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Len posted:

i dunno maybe this is an actual thing and i'm just too far removed from the city but uh

https://twitter.com/asatiir/status/1402194467344437253?s=20

According to the tweet, this is supposed to be Bloodborne as NYC, not actual NYC.

Actual NYC is indeed not like this most of the time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
"Popo" (a thug's term for police)

:cripes:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

the Jorts the Cat story

:raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Serperoth posted:

Honestly I have no reason to doubt the story as a whole, an office having two cats and some miscommunication, plus adopting them.

Yeah, a place having two adorable cats -- one dumb, and one smart (or at least non-dumb) -- makes sense, but I can't imagine a universe in which Pam isn't a complete fabrication.