Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

hepscat posted:

I thought the horse loving had been talked about to death, but PETA hadn't weighed in on the "arranged rape":

http://m.sfgate.com/entertainment/the-wrap/article/PETA-Blasts-Silicon-Valley-Explicit-Horse-7390317.php

loving PeTA. Literally the worst "people" on Earth. Sometimes I think about just running up and kicking the poo poo out of some dog just to piss them off, but not only will I not do that because I'm not a monster, they wouldn't mind terribly it if I did that because they kill SHITLOADS of dogs that could be adopted out as pets.

Maybe they'll chill out if we tell them that they're not breeding these horses just for entertainment or trophies, but they in fact plan on eating all the meat, so it's OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Jared's line about imagining himself as his own skeleton might be the most pitiful thing I've ever heard. This show is incredible.

Yeah, that got me, too.

You just know that there's going to be a bloodbath somewhere in that guy's future.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

buddhanc posted:

That last joke Jared told before richard tripped had me in loving stitches. It was so abrupt and hilarious coming from him

It's like watching a guy who has had a collar on his whole life that shocks him whenever he says anything negative suddenly get the collar off, and then he decides it's high time he tried out some of these "insult" things he's heard so much about. So he studies for a couple of weeks, sees his opportunity, and goes for it. The levels of clever and mean are all over the place, and naturally he crosses a line, the existence of which he remains blissfully unaware.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
C'mon, the theory that the fall and disclosure was done on purpose has to be true. This came from Reddit, people! They identified the Boston Bomber almost immediately all on their own, and no way did they ruin a guy's life for a few days over it because they are very careful and not quick to jump to conclusions based on shaky evidence.

Sheesh.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I just loved how Laurie said that Jack Barker was "exited."

Working for a large company as I do, I've long since wondered why anyone on TV says anyone has been "fired," because I swear, nobody uses that word anymore.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

He said that line with a barely-concealed seething mountain of pure hatred for the Geek Squad, nerd-chic, and everything associated with all that poo poo.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

Are you—

Are you serious with this?

Just as serious as (s)he is about living under bridges and freshly-baked bonemeal bread. (I hope.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

MarksMan posted:

"I had a stuffed animal named Winnie. Well it wasn't technically an animal, I took a ziplock bag and stuffed it with old newspaper and I drew a smile on it :)."

Every single detail of this man's life is more tragic and pathetic than the last. It's a credit to the writers that he's not an all-out butt monkey for everybody to abuse.

Seeing him get pussy effortlessly is just the delicious buttercream icing on what is otherwise the cake-shaped turd of his life.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The reveal that Russ was right totally makes this episode a 10/10. I will listen to no disagreement.

When Jared comes out of his garageroom, nonchalantly ushers his conquest out of the house, and wordlessly sits down to work as it literally nothing at all has happened, I looked at my wife and said, "holy poo poo... this guy really does gently caress!" Dinesh confirming what we already knew was handled perfectly.

This guy being able to effortlessly get sex the moment he stops voluntarily choosing not to get it is amazing in and of itself, but when you factor in the fact that literally everything else in his life is some kind of poo poo contained in one of many styles of poo poo bags, poo poo bags which are also made of poo poo? It's sublimely ridiculous. And yeah, this is why he hasn't murdered everybody yet. I bet the Unabomber wouldn't have even thought of making bombs if he was slammin' rear end all over town like Jared is.

Gilfoyle's expression when he sees the tie on the door, signifying another encounter for jared... somehow, that mostly blank look just carried so much weighty disbelief.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

FetusSlapper posted:

I wonder if Jared is some kind of lost boy from a Mormon polygamy cult.

His dad is in a militia in the Ozarks.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I don't know what all the fuss is about. Tabs work fine for me.

Edit: ha! The forum software makes it look like I spaced sensibly in the line above, but I did not! And when I hit Edit, my tabs are back!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Did we ever come to a consensus as to whether or not leaking the plans for the skunk works was done on purpose? Because a couple of redditers I know swore that the fact that they promised to make the box first and then work on the platform proved that they planned it all along.

Which didn't make sense to me, because I thought their secret plan was to spin their wheels as long as possible on the box while working on the platform in secret so they could present it instead of the box when it was time for everyone to show their hands, as it were.

Now I'm confused. Excuse me while I press the space bar 8 times.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I had to explain to my wife why the engineers would simply ignore any complaints about the user interface from Monica. It's not unusual for that stuff to have menus that make navigation easy if, and only if, you programmed the god drat thing and therefore know where everything is to begin with. Open File and Close File in totally separate menus? I've seen it. Other similar functions that complement each other and are often done together having to be accessed in totally different ways? All the time. Massive amounts of options that 99% of the program's users will never even want to change, even if they knew what they were doing? Check.

(I've had a few jobs in the past that used programs written just for doing a specific set of tasks within that particular company--the end result was a working but rough and non-intuitive product every time. There's no need to make it look good, run smooth, or be easy to figure out when your customer is a company that won't release it to the public, and they can take a week to train people in how to use what should be an easy-to-use program.)

It goes back to Office Space. That guy's job was to take the specs from the customers to the engineers. Why can't the engineers just get it from the customers? Because they're not good with customers. The fact of the matter is that that guy? You need that guy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Avasculous posted:

I was preemptively wincing when he confronted her in the hookah bar.

So with Bachman's despondence at the end of the episode, they were implying that he was forced to sell all of his shares, but the outstanding debt they alluded to was 1 million (?). Based on Gavin buying Endframe for 250 million, shouldn't Bachman's 10% be worth ~25 million? Arguably more since they're much further in the pipeline than Endframe? Even if he lost 10/20/50% of the value by selling it, that seems like a huge gap.

I wonder if they're just setting up a repeat of Russ Haneman's overdramatic "I'm financially ruined!" sequence where Bachman is just being wildly overdramatic about dropping from 10 to 9%.

Well, just because Pied Piper could now be potentially worth $250 mil, Bachman was selling his shares (at least some of them) to another investor who had inside knowledge of the general state of the project. She also could very well be aware of his financial situation, and even though she's a robot, she wouldn't necessarily buy him out for exactly 100% of the company's supposed potential net worth. Hell, she wouldn't really have to be anywhere near that because of Bachman's situation.

It's possible, likely even, she low-balled him, because the fact of the matter is selling those shares was the only way he could pay off his debts before the blog that he now owned publicized his insolvency. This assumes she knew something about his financial situation, which isn't unreasonable given her intelligence.

By the way, someone was asking why he couldn't just wait until the product launched to sell some shares or use some dividends or something. Well, there's no guarantee that the product will be an immediate success, but even if there were, Bachman was under the gun--his own tech blog was about to publicize his and Big Head's financial insolvency. That would be disastrous, I'm guessing, and that's why he had to act so quickly. He could not let that news get out. Maybe for business reasons, or maybe for ego reasons, but that was the impetus: the story about his party not being paid for.

... and also also also, maybe Bachman sold just enough shares for some important milestone to be reached. He got enough money to pay his debts and kept some shares, but by selling a certain number, maybe some weird control issue has popped up and Pied Piper will now be more under the thumb of their primary investor. Maybe. I don't know.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Avasculous posted:

Doesn't Laurie already control the board though, since she can replace Monica at will? Is there some additional benefit to having 80% of the seats (or 75% if Bachman's seat is simply eliminated) vs. 60%?

There might be. I'm not saying there is, but there could well be. Maybe some dumb thing put in the contract that flips a switch when one party gets to 75% or whatever.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
So let's see... Erlich fucks himself by associating himself with Bighead. He further fucks himself by spending Bighead's money, nearly bankrupting himself because of how he set up his partnership. Then he is forced to sell his shares at a pittance because of the hosed-up rules of the corporation. But then he super-fucks himself by writing that article instead of talking about a lovely jacket.

But hey, he's CEO now!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

But if she valued Erlich's shares so low doesn't that pull all the shares down? She's now set a price for PP far below what it was. That is, if Erlich's 10% was valued at $713,000, then Laurie Bream of Raviga Capital has determined that 100% of the company's shares is only worth $7,130,000.

So while Bachman is taking all the hits for selling off his shares, to me it seems that Laurie has screwed over everyone, because now it is known that she has the ultimate power to allow trading and to set the price, which she'll only do for her own advantage.

What something would sell for on the open market is not necessarily what they can be sold for in a private sale. For example, Erlich could have gifted his shares to someone, effectively selling them for $0.00. That doesn't mean that all stock is now at that price. Now, it could mean that if news got out about the amount of the sale, that could undervalue the bulk of the stock, but it doesn't automatically set the price of all of the other stock. At least, I don't think it does. If it did, then evildoers in finance could buy stock, accumulate a decent chunk of a company, and then destroy it by purposefully selling the stock at below market value.

As for Laurie, the only thing that's changed is that we all know now that she's had this power all along. And honestly, Richard should have known it already. Remember Ross cluing Richard in to the the idea that something may not have gone according to Erlich's plan? When Richard didn't have any idea what he was talking about, Ross quipped, "You don't know how your loving company works?"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

drat, you've got that Silicon Valley condescending nerd tone perfected lol

It's even better if you read it in Gilfoyle's voice and tweak it a little.

"Given that it's been noted that I use a PC while everyone else uses Mac, and green is kind of a Razer staple, I'd assume it's a Razer keyboard. But that's just me and my penchant for using logic to guess the answers to very easy questions. I suppose I could look for additional clues. Well, look at that. Someone printed a Razer logo on my keyboard. We find the one responsible for that, and we'll be one step closer to identifying the mysterious corporation who produced my keyboard."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

DrPlump posted:

I don't think Bachman had to sell his shares he is just an idiot. All she was able to do using control of the board was block the sale of any portion of the stock to anyone other than herself and refuse to allow the sale of any amount other than Bachman's full share. None of this goes into effect until the next board meeting so there is still time for him to refuse the sale provided he can give her the money back.

How can he give the money back? He paid his creditors. They have his money.

The question of whether or not he had to sell his shares depends on only one thing: how dangerous was the news that he hadn't paid for his million dollar party? When that news got out, what is the worst that could have happened? Because the news was about to come out, and that was the sole impetus driving him to sell off some of his shares before the product launched.

quote:

Even if he had allowed to court proceedings to go thought they would not have forced him to sell his shares for below value to pay it. He should have easily been able to borrow against his shares to repay his debts.

Borrow against the barely-defined and wholly speculative value of the stock of a company with no product, stock that hasn't even gone public yet? If you can find me a banker who'll do that, pass his contact info along.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Illinois Smith posted:

Switzerland's doing pretty okay money-wise, it's like our thing. :)

... ... ...

You know what? It's too easy.

Back to the show: I do wonder what it's going to be like when the Pied Piper team realize that the user interface does matter. The next episode's preview hinted at some negative feedback.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 16, 2016

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Have you guys seen the video for Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up?"

You should check it out. It's pretty cool.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

kdrudy posted:

Yes, when Pipey indicated they were "six clicks away" from uploading their file that still sounds like a UI problem.

I thought that was hilarious, like Ana Gasteyer doing Martha Stewart on SNL back in the day... "This is my Work Room, where we'll be making these corn husk garlands. You can make them, too, in just 24 simple steps."

Echo Chamber posted:

And many users don't want to deal with any technology that sounds like a cloud.

Yeah, to me this miraculous new platform really sounded like "It's exactly like the Cloud, except rear end-tons of compression." In the world of this show, is the cloud not a thing? Because, again, it's almost exactly the cloud.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Jared's line asking if board meetings were always this interesting killed me

Jared mimicking Richard's movements while they were both on the top bunk bed was hilarious... and when he followed his falling backwards move and banged his head, that's what killed me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I liked how Erlich was able to use his standard shenanigans, which usually end up putting him in a worse spot than where he'd started, to do something amazing. I mean, just by doing a bunch of seemingly random stuff, he was able to manipulate the big players in the money game to the point that he got a parlay with some folks who were ready to fork over millions of bucks. And Richard's standard shtick got the offer raised before he grew a conscious.

It was nice to see Erlich use his... powers? ... for the forces of good for a change.

Edit: it reminds me of his pescepescetarian bit at the big dinner. He requested it just to "cause a scene," and he didn't even have to show up for it to work: the moment his plate was replaced with a special setup, people asked what was going on, and when the wait staff explained, other diners were insisting on having a pescepescetarian meal before the poor waiter had even finished explaining what it was.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 28, 2016

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

He's off rollerblading away in a huff

He's trying to. I'm just trying not to laugh out loud as he clumsily stumbles about in an effort to rollerblade in a visibly angry way whilst in an office with a non-rollerblade-compliant door.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Angrymantium posted:

Did the last two episodes feel overly rushed for anyone else? Daily Active Users and the finale just felt like they existed to check off plot points to resolve with the bare minimum of humor that's usually defines the show.

A little... but I'm OK with that. They ran out of episodes, and at a certain point you can't just keep juggling all the balls. At the end of the season, you have to catch some and toss some away. Had they not focused on resolving plot lines, the finale wouldn't have felt much like a finale.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
He might have done the same deal. After all, they (Hooli, now the makers of the box) and their customers (a warehouse in the Twilight Zone where your tour guide is a depressingly sad and ultra-creepy ghost) would have to find some compromise in order to come to a deal of some kind.

And compromise is the shared hypotenuse of the conjoined triangles of success.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

nopants posted:

Dinesh as CEO is the greatest thing ever.

Dinesh as CEO was the greatest thing ever.

I just wish Gilfoyle could have come up with the right words to get even more product in Dinesh's hair.

El Pato posted:

Jared saying pussy, as one of the topics they can talk about, was the best for me.

I liked how it sounded when he said it. It had the same tone, inflection, and weight as any other random word in a list would.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

ptkfvk posted:

this is also how i took it.

Wait... people were looking at it a different way?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

"I will talk them into suicide" was my favorite part

I liked how Jared, when continually probed about whether or not he was serious about murdering people, just kept laughing like a character in a comic book movie who's one second away from becoming the murderous psychopath supervillain that's always been just there beneath the surface, waiting for society to beat, stomp, and chip enough of the good away so he could escape.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Regarding the guy who pissed off the Internet by saying he was uncomfortable that a Japanese guy won the race... well, I agree that we have to keep perspective, and that's something that's harder and harder to do with the current Internet outrage culture. But while keeping perspective, we should at least try to keep perspective. This random nobody on Twitter was a sportswriter for a major city's newspaper. He was tweeting about a sports event that he was covering. His tweet had a fairly noticeable racist tone to it--even if unintentional, he should have known how it would look to most people. His tweet would have been fine 70 years ago. Hell, maybe 60 or 50 years ago. But it's 2017. It doesn't take online rage enthusiasts to make a mountain out of a mountain. (And I know, I know. It's not a mountain. But, it's more than a molehill, and the idiom I'm referencing includes only those two landforms.)

The only thing with this situation is that instead of just being quietly fired by his editor in Denver after a few complaints came in (assuming it got that far), this guy was on Twitter, so everybody in the nation (and Anglosphere) got to get their kicks in.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

His explanation makes it even better. Tries to justify it because his dad was a WW2 vet.

Well, he was doomed from the get-go. See, by saying that his upcoming comment was not based on anything "specifically personal," he pretty much admitted that what he was about to say was based on something much more broad in scope than this man's personal identity or traits. By invoking race and nationality, he identified that broad scope as race. Essentially, he said, "I don't want anyone to mistake what I'm about to say as pertaining to this particular individual as a man, because what I want to convey is that it bothers me that a non-white foreigner won this race."

And let's not forget that we're talking about Indianapolis, the heart of the Midwest. The only non-white people living there are the ones who got lost or ran out of money while heading literally anywhere else.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Sorry I kinda caused this derail, but yeah it's just one of those tweets where you should go "oh, huh, well, you're wrong, moving on", but instead of moving on, it generated about 750 different indignant articles.

I'd agree if this were just some random moron. A sportswriter, on the other hand... well, that his job was covering sports makes his comment much worse, and on a couple different levels. I expect--nay, demand--blatant racism from, say, a guy at a NASCAR event who's wearing at least four confederate flags. Mild racism from a professional sports writer or announcer, on the other hand, is worse. It's a higher standards thing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Harton posted:

Indianapolis is not nearly as white as you think it is.

Uhm, excuse me, but I've been to Indianapolis. It was during the 89th run of the Indianapolis 500 (the one where Danica Patrick led for a number of laps). I was camping in the big campground near the Speedway. All I saw were white people. I think there might have been 7 black folks there (black being the non-white, or other, race). Therefore, Indianapolis is pretty much all white.

Ipso facto.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mortanis posted:

Found the most pretentious, annoying post on the forums. It's almost as if you're deliberately checking troll-boxes. Starting a post unironically with "uhm, excuse me"; use of "ipso facto"; passing off anecdotes as data. You're either trying to be a (bad) troll or entirely obtuse.

... or I was being sarcastic. Ironic, if you will. Actual ironic, though, not Alanis Morissette ironic. I'm honestly not sure how you read that post and didn't do it with an absurdly sarcastic tone playing in your head. Seriously, it's like you're the only person who has never heard of sarcasm and you're describing, in real time, what you think is going on with this post as you try to figure it out. It's like I'm--no, we're all--watching you discover sarcasm for the first time. It'd be wondrous to behold if it weren't so weird.

Unless you're being sarcastic now.

Uh-oh. This is going to be one of those rabbit hole things, isn't it? Don't answer that! It'll only make my head spin in circles more.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

Why Haley Joel Osment Could Be Silicon Valley’s New Superstar

Ughhhhhhhhhhh

Anyone else think Osment could be the "familiar face" to replace TJ Miller like Ashton Kutcher replacing Charlie Sheen?

Well, yeah, I can see that.

I don't know for sure that it'd be a bad thing. I don't think I've seen the kid act since... well, since he was a kid.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
How about we replace TJ with Jason Mantzoukas?

Hell, have some fun with it. Just have Mantzoukas come out playing Erlich, and doing it in his own style. Never explain the change. Go straight-up soap opera on it!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Well, as long as they don't go all Judy Winslow with Erlich, I think it'll be OK.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Troy Queef posted:

someone on AV Club pointed out that the patent lawyer had a box of Flutie Flakes on his bookshelf--and if you either hate football or aren't from Western New York, all the proceeds from the sale of Flutie Flakes went to benefit kids with autism, as Doug Flutie's kid is autistic.

yes, he's that big of a dick to sue a charity initiative. (also Flutie Flakes were pretty tasty.)

I think the thing that proves he's that big of a dick isn't just the fact that he's got Flutie Flakes on his wall or on his shelf... it's the fact that his home office is a trophy room at all. Because that's exactly what it is. Everything on the wall is something he's used litigious assholery to profit from. You know how the worst hunters, or at least the ones who are portrayed in movies as being the worst, always have trophy rooms like that, with stuffed bears and heads on the wall? This is the attorney equivalent. That he jokes that Stevie Wonder "didn't see [the lawsuit] coming" is just the corn kernel on the soft serve poo poo sundae.

What a truly despicable character.

My problem with the episode was the rather predictable nature of the lawsuit plot. I knew from the moment the lawsuit was handed to him that he'd fight it even though it would clearly benefit him not to do so. And, when he organized that group of app creators, I knew immediately that they'd pre-emptively settle with Counselor Sues-a-lot, which would raise the price to Richard. The only thing I didn't see coming was that they didn't let that fester for a few episodes--Richard used his brains to bullshit his way out of trouble. And him doing that was really surprising to me because, well, he is caught so often carrying the idiot ball having him do something smart (not to mention something that works exactly the way he planned it) is conspicuous.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Sounds like somebody needs an official City Name, Sports Team jersey.

Don't look at the date on that article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

The best part about Richard fighting the patent troll is that while he supposedly did tye whole thing on principle, he ultimately just lied. Patent trolls are usually bad, and that guy sure as hell was, but Richard acting like he somehow had the high ground when what he did was just intimidate the guy with falsified evidence really shows the path he is going down.

Yeah, it was a little weird that he just lied his way out of it. But then again, this season's trailer did promise us that the company would become, essentially, a criminal operation whose only real product is large-scale fraud.

You gotta start somewhere.

• Locked thread