Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Blazing Zero posted:

alright so now can someone post, with as little bias as possible, whats happening with gsf and their space

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770359&pagenumber=369#post459185573

Querns posted:

war update: deklein is fully under enemy control, our home region for the last 6 years
fade, owned formerly by SpaceMonkey's Alliance (one of our allies) was mostly taken by Pandemic Horde, but is now falling to us, phorde's staging station comes out of RF tonight
pure blind remains in flux, with MOA's territory very slowly growing, our eastern holdings being picked off here and there but largely staying intact, and the western part mostly being a forgotten ghetto that only gets taken for morale/psyops purposes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I often wonder what it would be like to cut ties, start a new account and explore this gay rear end autistic universe as a normal pleb (instead of a spergy tryhard ganky pleb).

I do this every once in a while, and then once I've found a nice comfy wormhole corp to call home, I steal all their stuff. Walked out with this a few days ago: http://puu.sh/ovjkv/ad673ba17a.jpg. Fits and all it only came to around 7.5b, but it's a fun way to fund some misadventures. I already lost one of the Vagabonds in glorious combat.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

so guys is citadels out yet

how many have we made so far

also: is it basically impossible to afk rat in an ishtar now since there are dreadnaught spawns in anoms?

They just released the BPO for the citadel itself, so people are busy researching. I'm sure there are some that will build at ME0 or even ME3/4, which I think you can get to fairly quickly. I've taken or am taking all my BPOs to at least 6 (including the Astrahus I bought today) before I copy / make anything.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

evilweasel posted:

ME research is nearly useless on medium citidels, even with multiple runs.

but what else am I going to do with it while my component BPOs churn? I guess make copies?

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

froody guy posted:

I just checked the material requirement for the Astrathus and it's (almost) all 1x something

how does ME research affect something like that?

It doesn't, unless you're doing a ton of runs. I was just a dumb and researched it out of habit.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

evilweasel posted:

It doesn't, ever. Even if you do a million runs. The only thing ME affects is things that require 2 or more things.

Well, technically it would, since it requires 4 of the Market Network Components, but you're correct that that's a very small benefit only seen in a few circumstances.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

vyst posted:

German Shepherd supremacy

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

This should be deadtears av.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

YouTuber posted:

It's because Goons are huge babbis who can't handle the prospect of not sourcing every tidbit from Jita directly. If CCP nutted up and fixed Jump Freighters so they couldn't jump out of highsec the game would be infinitely better for it. If JF had to slowboat to a lowsec system before they could jump the game would infinitely better for it. Living deeper in nullsec and local industry will always be a moronic idea until then. No ship distorts the state of the game more than Jump Freighters. In 2007 you could outright kill Alliance war efforts by literally killing all the ships they had on hand. They just couldn't produce enough locally to form fleets after enough beat downs. Coordinated disruption of PvE (What Blackops was formed originally to do) and Strategic Ops would whittle groups down to the nub. RISE was a classic example of this, we killed them so much that they just didn't have ships to use. They would just sit in station listening to RoyofCA's speeches in local. If the same tactic was run against RISE today they'd have an infinite supply of ships since a JF would cyno in directly to the station.

Oh no, I have to pay some pubbie to carry nearly three times a JF load three or four jumps from Jita for 50k isk, then take one gate. You aren't changing the ability to use JF for null logistics, you're just adding a stupid QoL nerf that most people won't ever see or feel.

That said, ganking any idiot that actually takes his JF through high sec without the ability to jump out would be hilarious. But the idea is still dumb as a way to kill null logistics.

Edit: ugh, didn't see this last page.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

justsharkbait posted:

i have had some awesome gaming moments with goons...that *shock* were not in eve.

This is so true. Some of the most fun gaming has been with goons in other games. Town of Salem and DayZ (arma 2 version) stand out in particular.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Elmnt80 posted:

Zephyrine, your posting in this thread has always been p. good and you seem like a good person. Have fun doing whatever new space things await you. Or just join groon. We desperately need a competent JF pilot. Malks gonna burn out again and we'll just be stuck with tim! :cry:

Angelique, please don't go to horde. come lose ships stupidly with us in Groon. Horde is the worst, even knowing I was about to awox them it was about all I could take to be in channel with them. Don't do it!!!

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Truthfully, I hadn’t heard about this thread until a mod closed down the one I was reading and told me on the roof of a party that it was one of her favorite threads of all time, and yes, reader, a) it later became a favorite of mine, and b) I plan on joining her Corp.

The hallmark of the best threads is that they grow with you: at page 10, Zephyrine chided Xolve for being unchill in his attacks on the GSF; less than a week later Zephyrine herself would be leveling suggestions of misconduct against her recently departed corpmates.

The prose style is at once cerebral and deeply felt. The reader doesn’t so much dread being in Zephyrine’s predicament; we fear being Zephyrine. Parts of the thread are so upsetting—or alternately, so delightful—that I found myself closing my iPad at the end of a few pages and holding it in my lap for safekeeping, not quite ready to go on. This is stratafiction—layers of mineral-rich story, beautiful up close in their contrasting colors and textures, equally beautiful from far away where the layers form a mountain. The thread evokes a humid, gin-soaked Mittani on a summer day so effectively you can practically feel Sion pluck the damp fabric of his anime kimono away to let a bit of air in next to his skin.

Around the 25-page mark—and being only halfway through, with the defection not even occurring for another 20 pages—I looked up the plot on r/eve. The incumbent Emperor inevitably incurs the wrath of his people, or CCP, or both, and is set upon by his trusted directors, or former alliance leaders, or both; then a replacement is selected from the family, or from the next most important pubbie Corp, or just from people showing up at a goonp. A delicious dramatic irony arises at this turning point, because while the young man expects himself to be the hero of a Great War story, the reader realizes him to be more of a witless cog in an incisive commentary on the oppressive class system.

It’s not so much a thread as a biosphere, with each ecosystem reliant on another within and without, the beginning (as with all life) impossible to chart. One of the greatest compliments I can give this, or any thread, is that knowing the point-by-point resolution didn’t diminish my enjoyment of the remaining 400 pages. At points, the story is mired in Victorian banalities, mainly those describing a large Scarlet woman and her erotic adventures at an Insane Clown Posse concert. Violent death follows leadership follows violent death follows leadership, and in this manner the bizarre Byzantine cycle continues. Also, JanIrvam just loving hates women.b Querns never seemed ghastlier.

More terrifying, however, than any of the supernatural threats is Endie’s all-too-recognizable mental fragility; while he’s clearly on the far end of the neurotic scale, his social estrangement and prying doubts mirror what many of us feel in mixed company.

Is it wrong to revel in the characters’ delicious names—FruitNYogurtParfait, Tokyo Sexwhale—as if they were ripped from the pages of a postmodern comedy, instead of a fin-de-sičcle realist Eve Online thread? Each character is so richly drawn (pun not intended, Sion), each so different from one another, one can’t help but fall in love with every one of them, likable or not. The way Venom Snake grows and matures, from a spindly-legged and bookish ENLI j4g to a young woman j4g to, at the end, a very old woman j4g, makes clear the vagaries and vicissitudes of human development. For the geneticist and young lovers alike, the characters’ lives intertwine and ultimately connect in a style akin to Bach’s Variations. At age 18, though, the way the War of Sovless Aggression played a part in his obsession with doggedly holding the party line had me swooning.

The real genius of the thread lies in the final two pages, where a devastating plot twist unravels and lays bare the entire story for what it is: A wish that things had gone differently.

The one thing I learned: Never ever marry into a North New Eden mercantile dynasty.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

thats way too many words

Nah, you'll read it.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Khablam posted:

It's a copypasta and your edits are a bit forced. So probably not.

Of course it is. And how would you know if the edits were forced if you hadn't read it? #gotem

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

drat, thought that would work. You're a sly one 'tear.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Khablam posted:

Cause i know the pasta and skimmed to the first few nouns.

I mean are we really doing "made you read" ?

That wasn't a "made you read", ya dummy. But your :c00l: status is noted and acknowledged.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

ullerrm posted:

I know the origins, but :five: anyways. I'm sad that you left the ICP joke from the original in there, though -- that was an easy layup to be turned into a pegging joke.

You're right, there are, I'm sure, tons of missed opportunities. I thought the thread could use a shitpost and CVS is taking an age to fill a simple prescription, so I thought I'd type one out on my phone.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

YouTuber posted:

Uh I didn't know there was any other claims. I'm pretty sure this analogy is not working out like you intended it to.

It was actually a pretty awesome analogy. It's alluding to a gross oversimplification of the situation and atmosphere that led to the war, ignoring complexities without which the assassination of FF wouldn't have caused such a stir.

Edit: :argh: phone posting.

Dr. Pangloss fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 4, 2016

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

Id much rather our direction be something new and interesting than just having a circlejerk to try and appease the old bittervets who stopped giving a crap a long time ago.

What, exactly, is new about the direction of the coalition? I'm not sure I've heard this new direction you mention.

For my part, I think we are missing the mark with the Fabian Strategy. Not that I think we should log in all supers and go out in a blaze of glory. The thing about the Fabian Strategy is that it demoralized the Roman populace who had to watch their homes and farms burn. They had to smell the fires and hear the screams and jeers of the Carthaginian army. They couldn't remove themselves from the cities, though. We can. Let's go ruin someone else's home while we allow ours to be ruined.

I'd love to see us drop all sov right now and go on a deployment elsewhere, far away from this area of the map. If we aren't going to contest what remains of our space in a meaningful way, let's remove all "content" from these groups area. Our stuff is in low sec or logged off where it's unreachable anyway, so it'll all be here when we get back. Let's take swordfleets over to the drone regions or Querious or Delve. Let's just burn around New Eden for a few months and then meet up back in Saranen for a pep talk and then head back to Deklein.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

he..he said he'd like having a new direction?

And I was asking what it was supposed to be, because I haven't heard a single whisper of any desire from leadership for a new direction. The point being, he's defending the leadership of the coalition (which is hellbent on returning to ownership of Dek and PB, if not the other regions lost), but closes with stating that we should reach for a new and interesting direction instead. The two statements seemed at odds.

evilweasel posted:

uh...we've been reconquering chunks of pure blind and fade, which are between us and deklein, fade in perticular has been going pretty strongly pro-gsf ever since we secured the cockpocket

which, in the spirit of the "things to improve", suggests to me we might need to be doing a better job pointing people to the successes we've been having :v:.

Of the four main constellations in Fade, we hold one securely, one has been flipped but not secured, one is hotly contested, and the remaining one is where phorde lives. In Pure Blind we've secured a new pocket, we've kept eastern PB (granted, mostly because nobody wants it). Hell, we've been chipping away at EC- and 93pi as well, though those will take a while to fall since PL actually shows up for those. Flipping that last constellation in Fade opens up a gateway to Western Dek. The constellation we just conquered opens a gateway back to the YA0 area. Not exactly on the verge of victory, but we are attacking. It's just we're not at the point we can contest Dek yet (though I've been hacking there :v: )

I get the geography of the current strategy, my point is the bolded portion. Until PL either loses interest or loses their meatshield, any battle they choose to win will be won. But, fair enough, if we're having enough success that it warrants us being in the area with all the benefits that it gives to other groups, then :tipshat:. I'm just here to shoot fools.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

Thing is, I can't agree with this. Iv seen it work in EVE multiple times.

Past performance something something future success...

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

frozenphil posted:

I'm not sure what game other people are playing, but fremen rapiers are pretty drat fun. Fozzie sov has made me an elite pvper with all this small gang node mining I'm doing.

I absolutely want to give this a go. Issue being my recon 5 dude is gallente only, so I'm looking at either training my all subcap S guy from recon 4 to 5 or training my recon 5 guy into minmatar. I should probably do minmatar cruiser 5, but right now he's training capital projectile 5 and I don't want to lose focus.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

RhoA posted:

Remember the golden age of Hole Squad when foehammer was CEO?

Those were the days.

Did it last a whole day?

Edit: wow, way too slow on this one.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

CCP nerfed how fast you can go a pretty long time ago, so now those crows go considerably slower, roughly 9-10km/s nowadays and nobody actually does that anymroe

Technically, you can still get a Claw to go north of 26km/s in a C6 Black Hole with an oversized MWD, not that you can do anything with that but watch it go.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Altran posted:

hey, if you don't mind disclosing, what alliance/corp are you in in-game? sir, i enjoyed your fittings alot.

:ullerrm: is the head maharaja of fitting for the Imperium.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Dalael posted:

I think you're just not getting it.
Have you read these forums, like ever?

Everyone is making GBS threads on everyone at the first opportunity they get. Its just the circle of life. Don't let it get to you. That's part of the culture around here its that loving simple.

Shut up, retard.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Elmnt80 posted:

How are we bitter exes? I'm confused. :(

Nice meltdown.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
I think JFs are hard to nerf enough to appease those that only want to gank them without killing their usefulness. Yeah, you could make it so that they can only jump out of HS that border a LS/NS, but that just delays things until the market moves to Isikano or whatever that system is that's next to pakkonen. Then they will jump off the undock of that station and you've solved nothing.

A spool up timer would be interesting for all jump capable ships, but I wouldn't apply it to only JFs. In fact, a spool up timer of equal length for going into siege or triage would be interesting too. Then you've got a race to jump out as three phoenixes undock with you, will your jump timer finish first or their siege timer?

I wouldn't change anything about how JFs work right now. Fully bulkhead fit, they hold less than two fully skilled DSTs. Fully expanded, with a few hundred million in faction expanders, you still top out at 385k m3. When you're talking null logistics, that's not a lot of space. 77k fuel blocks, 128k units of stront, 15 battleships (packaged).

I love killing JFs as much as anyone, but of all the balancing issues that exist in Eve right now, JFs don't seem to be the glaring issue.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Glory of Arioch posted:

quote:

What did he mean by this?

it is a coded message

let's analyze it

enhance

enhance

:wth: :proof: :mason: :lron: :mason: :proof: :wth:

:tipshat:

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

DisgracelandUSA posted:

lol JFs are fair and balanced because people don't even have to use every tool for survival at their disposal in order to not get ganked.

I don't believe JFs are fair and balanced, but I think they are a minor imbalance for the vast majority of the game. I say this as someone who only flies my JF 1 jump into HS, having used my freighter to deliver the goods there from Jita.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Endie posted:

the best of all possible words.

Edit: Or worlds, but words works too.

You rang?

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Venom Snake posted:

as someone said earlier if we moved we would just get followed so I don't really see the point of pulling an FCON and going south unless we just crashed on the russians couch.

The point is that if they follow you, then they aren't hanging out in our old home anymore. And their desire to move around the map gets tested to see if it's the equal of ours.

If they don't follow us, then we have fun taking apart someone else's world for a bit while the enthusiasm wanes and AT comes around and focus falters and we are able to properly regroup against a much smaller coalition, possibly with equal or closer super counts, and we have a chance.

Frankly, if PL is willing to hell camp our supers forever, there's not a ton of point in retaking a bunch of space within jumping range of that super concentration. JMO.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

Are you saying that people in your alliance aren't actually treated as members of your alliance?

Nope, just recognizing meat shields and renters as such.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Dalael posted:

No, but the country side kept burning and a lot of rome's allies decided to join Hannibal.
The point I was making is that when you're outnumbered and outgunned, only an idiot charges in the fray hoping his gigantic balls will carry the day.

And the point Aapir is making is that Fabius had a working strategy because Rome and the towns could be hardened against invasion and Hannibal lacked the army to take Rome. If Hannibal had a larger army, he would have done exactly what the MBC has done to us, Fabius or no. Many believe that if Hasdrubal had been able to reinforce Hannibal, he would have been able to do just that.

That's the problem with the whole "Fabian Strategy", it just doesn't work in Eve.

1. We are vastly outnumbered and even though I don't believe MBC has a leader equivalent to Hannibal, they don't need one. They are funded better than we are, they have superiority in numbers, they have superiority in all ship types and they are winning the morale war.

2. You cannot sufficiently harden your "cities". Thanks to Fozzie, flipping a station, system, region, etc is pretty easy compared to what Hannibal faced. If we could just sit docked while they roamed our space at will, it'd be a different story.

3. It's a game and the number of people that want to WIN(!!) at all costs, even entertainment, is fewer than the ones that want to have fun doing whatever thing they find fun that they can no longer do.

I have also said that we should be heading off to a different part of the map. I went further and said that we should drop any sov we have right now. These people are feasting on every tiny victory, so let's abandon the field and leave nothing for them to crow about. If they follow us, at least they aren't in Dek. If they follow us with our supers, then that means they are splitting their forces and increasing their vulnerability, possibly to the point where we have greater numbers back in PB/Dek. If they don't, we have removed the threat of overwhelming supercap superiority and that increases our ability to operate.

The true genius of Fabius' strategy is that you deny what the enemy wants. This enemy doesn't just want "good fights". They want to savor every victory over us and make us watch from our station in Saranen. So, we deny that to them. We move to the Drone regions, Catch, Immensea, Querious, wherever. If we aren't going to be back in Dek for 6 months plus, then let's GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE. Right now it feels more like we are watching the new kid in school make out with our old girlfriend from across the cafeteria while we punch his kid brother to make ourselves feel better. It's sad, even if the kid brother makes funny noises when he goes down.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

bangers and hash posted:

Let's go full dick move and invade FCON now that we're reset. :getin:

I have to believe this would result in historic membership numbers for Waffe.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Didn't want that sec status anyway? Already replaced?

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

ChickenWing posted:

globby i'll loving cut you

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

VideoGames posted:

I actually do see myself playing for at least a few years.

I'm not sure how much it truly comes across in my posts, but I have fallen in love with the nature of the game. I find the flying about going from system to system seriously relaxing. Also just watching my ship orbit asteroids and hearing the buzz of the space lazers makes me smile a lot and I like to imagine I'm there. It's such a beautiful universe they've crafted that I want to be a part of it.

My corp (it's seriously not trying to be big or anything) is slowly, slowly, slowly gathering materials and eventually we will create a citadel for miners and refiners called Mountain. There's no rush with it and it will just happen at some point. I've never wanted people to go out their way with RVCMF because it was designed just for silly relaxing. If we make the citadel awesome! If it takes us years, awesome!

Personal goals are three:

1) To own one of every mining vessel and be able to use them :)
2) To visit every area of the universe. Regardless of being attacked I would like to see each individual spot on the map! It could take a LONG time and I could be killed again and again but I want to explore :D
3) To write about my experiences doing it. I've already written a prologue chapter to my little account (A Minor Tale) and heck, I could have so many experiences to put within it!

When you are ready to build, let me know and I'll get you BPCs of all the citadel parts and the Astahus, if that's what you're going for.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Archenteron posted:

A game complete with its own TItan analogue in the "Price will balance them by making them rare" 1st and 2nd Rate ship-of-the-lines. They eventually removed the ability to build them, but left any surviving ships in-game and still usable.

That's actually a pretty awesome solution for Eves supers / Titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

My dog died a couple of days ago and this stupid gif is the first thing that's made me laugh since. Enjoy a sensible chuckle, EVE thread.

8 days ago for me. I have a 2.5 month old girl that makes me smile, but it's still rough. Sorry for your loss.
:glomp:

• Locked thread