Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What's the best tournament strategy? Big wins? Lots of wins? Lots of banners? Speedrunning?

Play weird combos and have a good time imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Been a while since I've done any crawl, but I should be good for a win or two. Will do my best to get a 15 rune.
code:
Flying Purple Eater People

1: Glidergun
2: Heteroy
3: Pinechild
4: MissPrince (Princey)
5: FilthyApe
6:

# teamcaptain Glidergun
Edit: Is there some reason why my login works on akrasiac but not beRotato? Given the location, beRotato would probably give me less lag.

You have to register separately on each server, if that's what you mean. Making an account on cao will not also give you an account on cbro, but if both accounts have the same name they will share stats on the online tracker.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

sheer curiosity question, but why wouldn't you just carry the cmut and use the acquirement scrolls immediately? that is a weird as gently caress thing to have happen though

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

DECj faded altar'd to sif muna. got some good books going, poison arrow nearly castable, and found wands of healing and tele in early lair. Also got Boots of Running from an early shop.

:ohdear:

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 7, 2016

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

RndmCnflct posted:

Saw there was a new version. OOD Orc Priest abyssed me on floor 1. Nice.

how did an orc priest abyss you? distortion weapon?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

RndmCnflct posted:

No idea. "Cast into level 2 of the Abyss (orc priest)" is what the morgue file says. I was playing an orc and there was a "join or die" moment, which I've never seen before and must be a recent addition.

It might be my imagination but maybe it had something to do with the fact that I enslaved it, healed up, and then proceeded to attack it while still charmed :commissar:

yeah, they changed it so that you can become a Beoghite (as an orc, obv) from finding an Orc Priest and accepting the invitation. Other than that, yeah it was probably wielding distortion. Good news is that if an enemy has a branded weapon equipped you can see what brand it is, so just be on the lookout for that kind of thing next time. Early branded weapons are nasty as heck

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thalamas posted:

Why is it that dancing weapons in Elf don't leave a weapon and turn into piles of gold when you worship Gozag? That just seems weird.

it's not that weird when you realize that the weapon you'd get is actually a corpse, and obviously gozag turns all corpses into :10bux:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

LogicNinja posted:

Sorry for the lack of wins this tournament, team. Came close a couple of times but splatted them in zigs.

I did play enough to confirm that, yep, everything I thought about the rMut changes is correct. Can we please just revert rMut removal or make enemies inflict temporary muts or something?

Your zig ghost with silence almost got me killed :argh:

Realized during tourney there's a lot of stuff I don't know how to play. What's a good background to try out Dithmenos with, I know like nothing about how to play him

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

changelog posted:

Make the lamp of fire and fan of gales not create elementals

And strengthen their other effects - make the fire clouds last longer and
deal more impact damage, and increase the distance of the fan knockback. Also
base knockback distance directly on the wind blast's power rather than on
evocations skill, which affects the Storm card too.

i dislike this

e: also, RIP tremor rock, but who even used that thing?

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 28, 2016

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

What letter does TSO count as

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

It was fun making your own randarts and giving them immature names, too. Wish there concept hadn't been dropped for whatever reason

(This is also part of why H is fun, to me, because I'm a very childish person)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

jon joe posted:

The worst feeling on Gozag is popping your first 4 shops at once; 2 weapon shops, 1 armor shop, and a jewelry shop, and finding only an ok ring.

edit: two more shops, armor and general. Still nothing, drat it!

editedit: AND Orc is only two levels. What the hell.

edit^3: With poo poo shops.

Orc is only two levels anymore nowadays, yeah

Gozag is basically floor god taken to extremes and I love/hate him.

kalstrams posted:

Misclicked something on keyboard and went down the Hell stairs. I need to disable loving vi hotkey garbage, I bet that was it.

afaik there is nothing on vikeys that would cause you to go down a stair

(also vikeys are good and fast and efficient and I recommend everyone learn them, but That's Just My Opinion)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

kalstrams posted:

gently caress, I've just cleared V:5 and my rF is just +. How much impact slaying +3 give me?

If I replace my rings with two unequipped, I gain rF+ but lose rC+ (I have rC+++ at the moment).

the 3rd pip on any resist is nice but not really necessary. the first is the most important, reducing damage by 50% iirc

e: you're wearing a CPA? you could probably do slime if you wanted to, or z:1-4 if you just be careful about it

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

kalstrams posted:

Alright, I won't sweat rC much then, though I'd still like rF++. Is there no rMut anymore?

rMut, clarity amulets et al are a thing of the past, I'm afriad. :(

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

FR: Literal floorgod.

Gozag comes really close to replicating Floor Luck, at least

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Who decided we needed more and deadlier bees :gonk:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

a large bee that splits into several smaller bees upon death, trj-style

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

level 9 poison/summoning: bee storm

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

C7ty1 posted:

bee crabs. :colbert:

e: crabbees???

Krabbies?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Also why are you standing around stabbing poo poo in the extended end-game when you're there to grab runes and get out? You're a sneaky bastard that will take advantage of the unawares but generally shies away from direct confrontation. Play that way to the HILT and I promise you, you won't be bored.

this was cool until they made it so if you don't kill the unique pan lords they follow you around pan for all eternity. now it's a bit scarier if you're going for 15 (still cool, though)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

fr: Norris' surfboard unrand large shield

Idk what it would do but I want it to exist dammit :(

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hey if you're gonna keep making weird/bad changes to spider bag/box of beasts, can you at least make them still spew out monsters even on the 1/4 chance that they get destroyed? I've had way too many experiences with them exploding on the first use and essentially wasting my turn/time which honestly feels like complete bullshit and is stupid.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

thanks, i actually really appreciate it :)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

I just hate playing blasty casters because I don't like having to do like 3x the button presses to kill enemies

macros are your friend; also the ` key

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

rude devlog posted:

Remove Xom's vitrification effect

Turning walls to glass isn't very interesting, especially now that nobody can
act through glass walls any more - it's more likely to just make travel
and exploration annoying.

you MONSTERS :cry:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hell I would have preferred alchemist to elixir

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i 3-runed a felid and it was miserable and now i never have to play felid again

i ran out of food somewhere shortly after my 2nd rune and basically ran around like a total moron trying to figure out what the hell to do, eventually settled on getting necromutation castable, and doing a bunch of other incredibly stupid crap and wasting a million turns for no good reason. this character should have died more times than it did die.

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19-a0-660-gb2633be (webtiles) character file.

1180944 someoneawful the Necromancer (level 24, 103/103 HPs)
             Began as a Felid Ice Elementalist on June 12, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on June 15, 2016!

The game lasted 12:04:30 (149074 turns).

someoneawful the Necromancer (FeIE)               Turns: 149074, Time: 12:04:30

Health: 103/103    AC:  8    Str:  3 (4)  XL:     24   Next: 82%
Magic:  30/45      EV: 33    Int: 27      God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   114        SH:  8    Dex: 16      Spells: 12 memorised, 3 levels left
                                          Lives:  0   Deaths: 7

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis +      - Unarmed
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    (armour unavailable)
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    (shield unavailable)
rPois  +          Spirit   .    (helmet unavailable)
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    (cloak unavailable)
rCorr  .          Reflect  +    (gloves unavailable)
SustAt .          Harm     .    (boots unavailable)
MR     +++..      Clarity  +    I - brooch of Shielding {Reflect SH+8}
Stlth  +++.......               z - ring "Feobinax" {+Fly rElec AC+3 Slay+3}
                                F - ring "Cokues" {rF+ rC+ Int+3 Stlth+}

@: very slightly contaminated, deflect missiles, quick, extremely resistant to
hostile enchantments, fairly stealthy
A: no armour, no weapons or thrown items, claws 1, fangs 3, yellow scales 1,
camouflage 1, see invisible, carnivore 3, clarity, clumsy 1, deterioration 1,
dopey 1, fire resistance 1, speed 1, poison resistance, shaggy fur 3, slow
metabolism 1, wild magic 1, MP-powered wands, sharp paws
a: Renounce Religion, Evoke Flight
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, abyssal
i would rather play mummy than felid, felid is just oppressively unfun to me and i am so glad this character is over

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

code:
PoisonMushroom the Formicid Blade (FoFi)           Turns: 56549, Time: 05:50:30
Health: 193/193    AC: 45    Str: 25    XL:     25   Next: 72%
Magic:  20/20      EV: 11    Int: 19    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   1839       SH: 24    Dex: 18    Spells: 4 memorised, 21 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    a - +9 triple sword (vamp)
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    w - +11 crystal plate armour of Space {Int+4}
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    J - +2 large shield {reflect}
rPois  +          Spirit   +    (helmet unavailable)
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    E - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  .          Reflect  +    Z - +0 pair of gloves of Xuwas (worn) {-Cast rF+++ rC+++ Dex-5}
SustAt .          Harm     .    B - +2 pair of boots {run}
MR     ++++.      NoCast   +    g - amulet "Awoynk" {Spirit rPois MP-9 Dex+8}
Stlth  ..........               L - ring of Fiffiet {MR+ Dex+6}
                                t - ring "Kuon Viz" {rN+ Slay+2}

@: quick, incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: permanent stasis, dig shafts and tunnels, four strong arms, antennae 3,
hooves 1, rugged brown scales 1, clumsy 1, mutation resistance 2, poison
resistance, shaggy fur 1, subdued magic 1
a: Dig, Shaft Self, Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, silver
Please tell me whether to go for Zot or Extended. I've got a Holy TS I can get up to +5 and a +3 VeloTC (:haw:). I've never abandoned a god before, so I'm not sure what that entails.

Edit To put things into perspective, I was basically able to just turn on Heroism and Finesse and tab right through V5. This is by far the most powerful character I've ever played, so I don't know what would be best to do with it.
My only source of rElec I've found, unfortunately, is
code:
the +4 scimitar "Impslayer" {speed, +Inv rElec MR+ Str+4}
Which was really, REALLY good... several levels ago.

Oka wrath is a bit dicey, he drops bands of dangerous humanoids/giants on you (including deep elf blademaster/master archers and/or draconians, giants, titans) that are durably summoned. so long as you play cautiously you should absolutely be fine though. TSO or Zin are both good choices to swap to; if you go Zin you pretty much have to be trying in order to die, with Sanctuary being the best panic button in the game, and if you pump invo you'll be able to wreck a lot of threats with Recite. TSO is also crazy strong and gives you hp/mp back on kills, a semi-spammable holy damage pbaoe invo, and angel friends. I like Zin better especially because gently caress hell effects but both are good.

e: be sure not to be wielding/attack anything with the vampiric weapon tho, good gods hate vampiric

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 15, 2016

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

^^^ NO!!!!!

Unimpressed posted:

So I always try and check spellcaster morgues after wins to see what spells people who know how to play pick. Tell me please, what does one use apportation 12 times at the end game for?

Apport is awesome for grabbing runes out of vaults without having to get too entrenched in the vault. I was mostly using it in abyss to grab stuff from directions I didn't want to go, but it's a must-have spell to me on pretty much all casters solely for the potential to grab runes and potentially bail if nothing else. It's a good spell!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, what's the best plan, then? Do everything except Crypts, Tomb, Abyss and Hells while I can still use my Vampy, then abandon Oka, weather through the wrath, then join Zin, wield my holy TS, and start wrecking poo poo in the name of the good guys?

Is the lack of rElec gonna be a problem anywhere in particular?

Not sure where you haven't been yet but worth noting you can swap gods before weathering the wrath (ie, be worshipping Zin while suffering Oka wrath). Just go pray at the altar of whoever. If you cleared v:5 without too much issue i think you'd be okay swapping to zin. Zin is super easy to build piety with too, you can just donate half your cash and then blammo, piety happens. Recite works against all intelligents (and some other stuff too), so if you start pumping invo in addition to what you already have from worshipping Oka you'll probably reliably daze/confuse/etc whatever stuff Oka calls down with Recite. So long as you're mindful of your surroundings I think you should be fine; admittedly this is probably a little more worrying as a Formicid, since you can't tele, but your gear is good enough I can't see it being too big of a deal so long as you don't end up surrounded somehow.

Since Zin piety is from gold and not kills you can pretty much go wherever with him; with TSO you probably would want to do all the non-unholy/whatever branches first so you can build up piety quickly once you swap.

rElec is pretty important in zot (elec golems) in abyss (raiju, probably some other poo poo) and Pan (scary pan lords can do scary things); I don't think it's too important anywhere else but I might be misremembering? Maybe one of the Hells? it's late, I might be forgetting something

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I feel partially responsible :( I've never died to god wrath before so maybe it was understating the danger

e: this sounded way more "git gud" than i meant it to, which is why you should not apologize when you've just woken up. :( seriously tho i am sorry

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 15, 2016

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i thought the mace <-> long blade thing was that maces were more common to find the high quality ones, in exchange for being less damaging (with the exception of GSC but only a couple races can use those), where long blades are rarer but hit harder, also there are a lot of cool fixedart long blades and not as many of other weapon types i think?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

So, playing an XL3 GrFE I decided on a whim to pray at the mystery altar, and of course got Trog. Guess I'm about to find out all about his wrath.

Hope you like having large packs of durably summoned berserked dudes dropped on you at xl3!!!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

Oh holy poo poo

toxic radiance doesn't poison yourself anymore?? I might be more interested in playing venom mages now

they lowered its damage some to balance it but yeah it doesn't self-poison anymore

the main reason i hate the mutation changes is because it makes it pointless to ever try and get a good mutation set because you are, inevitably, going to get a mut bad enough to make you cmut from hell effects or cacodemons or w/e. it's detrimental to my enjoyment of the game, though not critically so. see also: jiyva's ever-shifting muts and them not being enjoyable at all

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Go HOMo of a different god! Their invo apt is fantastic for someone like Qazlal, Zin, Makhleb or ... anyone who uses invocations a lot, really.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

jerkstoresup posted:

Thanks Someone Awful. That was the nastiest ghost I've ever encountered. Opens with fireballs and orbs of destruction. If I had trained invo at all, I would've been able to step from time but I completely forgot.

the worst part is I lost that character to a frickin' Draconian ghost so this is basically a chain of crappy ghost deaths now :(

seriously gently caress draconian ghosts though, if you play a draconian and get high enough to get a color you drat well better win that character :argh:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

confirming that i have been hit by spells/smite/etc by netted monsters in the past.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Kind of ran the whole gamut there all in one blast, huh? :psyduck: Too bad it ended up with the boring one.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

Wordpress: hates removals, loves mountain dwarves

will never get the fellating of mountain dwarves when sludge elves used to exist and were pretty cool :colbert:

also why do unseen horrors exist? a monster that is basically "do you have SInv? are you in a corridor? welp" kind of sucks

e: this is a good change I think

quote:

Reduce Dismissal annoyance

It now only triggers on hits that do at least 10% of your max hp,
thus hopefully reducing cases in which it triggers on
non-threatening enemies.

also I'm glad to see more new vaults being added! is vault-making complicated? is there a tutorial anywhere?

e: vvv i'm in love :swoon:

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

sanguine armour is a scales mutation iirc, and yeah it was added pretty recently!

• Locked thread