Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Ugh, why did they get rid of stoneskin again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kaschei posted:

I had a dream there was a drug that made people suicidally brave, someone gave it to the POTUS (not Barack Obama) and while it was kicking in, he, the president of the United States, read a crawl morgue, but the drug made it seem like a brightly colored obituary praising the character's heroic martyrdom.

We need to make crawl the roguelike solo play part of Dwarf Fortress.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay I'm recruiting for a team too! So far we are all not very good players, so no requirements. We just want to play a lot and have fun. I'm going to try to post a win myself, but that's not something everyone needs to do.

We could merge with Evoking Mediocrity if you all want, since we each have 3 spots spare and similar (read no) requirements, but it's up to your captain!

code:
# TEAMNAME ZeeZeeMeatls
# TEAMCAPTAIN Arivia

1. GlitchThief
2. Neongrey

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Person Dyslexic posted:

I am down for the tourney! I am of poor skill but have a few wins under my belt, and just ascended a mummy so I feel anything is possible. I am also unemployed at the moment so have plenty of free time to either post a win or two or many sad splats. Are any teams looking for members still?

Yes!

Arivia posted:

Okay I'm recruiting for a team too! So far we are all not very good players, so no requirements. We just want to play a lot and have fun. I'm going to try to post a win myself, but that's not something everyone needs to do.

We could merge with Evoking Mediocrity if you all want, since we each have 3 spots spare and similar (read no) requirements, but it's up to your captain!

code:
# TEAMNAME ZeeZeeMeatls
# TEAMCAPTAIN Arivia

1. GlitchThief
2. Neongrey

Still need 3 more.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Huh, so there's traps to prevent stairdancing? Interesting, didn't know that was a thing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also, one spot left on TEAM ZEEZEEMEATLS. I'll fix my rcfile and start hanging out in #gooncrawl again tonight.

Arivia posted:

code:
# TEAMNAME ZeeZeeMeatls
# TEAMCAPTAIN Arivia

1. GlitchThief
2. Neongrey
3. offering
4. Doctordoom

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Still one spot on ZeeZeeMeatls for the tournament if you're looking for a no-pressure team. RC file is all set up, I'll be on playing a bunch at tournament start in 5 hours.

Arivia posted:

code:
# TEAMNAME ZeeZeeMeatls
# TEAMCAPTAIN Arivia

1. GlitchThief
2. Neongrey
3. offering
4. Doctordoom

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eyebrow posted:

I'll join up. eyebrow on CBRO.

Sweet! Adding you right now.

edit: Done!

Arivia fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 6, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Don't Ru Forget About Me

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shakill OReal posted:

And now I'm dead because somehow a Naga Sharpshooter got behind me while a Greater Naga was constricting me. Oh well, that was a fun run and I learned a lot, such as I can't blink while I'm constricted.

Blinks count as two chances to escape a constrict, so they are still good to use. They just don't work automatically.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kalstrams posted:

Not yaks, white human silhouettes. Before that kind of like icy bears, and slightly before that some pushover thrash I don't remember.

Also ugh, I don't like blunt weapons and ai don't know how to invoke trident for extended reach or whatever so long blades it is on the next MiFi, so I can maintain chain of disappointment that all good weapons that I get are either tridents or crossbows.

Ice devils? After frost beasts and wolf/bear/yak packs. And why don't you like blunt weapons? Your character in Crawl is like 10 pixels high IF they're an image and not an @ sign. Appearance doesn't matter. You evoke polearms with V I think, or v if the other evokes wands.

Also I finally got past my recent string of Lair branch deaths by playing really safe, culminating in killing my nemesis the Lernaean hydra. (Also the last unique my team needed a kill for :toot:) Cruised to three runes, started clearing out Zot. Then remembered I could do some zigging for a couple more things I wanted, like more cMut. Got cocky and didn't play safe (I can totally take one more level for that enchant armour scroll to open up that trove) and died to a lowly slime creature with -20 corrosion. Oh well, I got some tzitzimitl kills for team ZeeZeeMeatls and like 45 team points in zig level clears.

I've also decided next tournament's team is going to be Gastronok Slug God of Free Hats or something like that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

Ice devils? After frost beasts and wolf/bear/yak packs. And why don't you like blunt weapons? Your character in Crawl is like 10 pixels high IF they're an image and not an @ sign. Appearance doesn't matter. You evoke polearms with V I think, or v if the other evokes wands.

Also I finally got past my recent string of Lair branch deaths by playing really safe, culminating in killing my nemesis the Lernaean hydra. (Also the last unique my team needed a kill for :toot:) Cruised to three runes, started clearing out Zot. Then remembered I could do some zigging for a couple more things I wanted, like more cMut. Got cocky and didn't play safe (I can totally take one more level for that enchant armour scroll to open up that trove) and died to a lowly slime creature with -20 corrosion. Oh well, I got some tzitzimitl kills for team ZeeZeeMeatls and like 45 team points in zig level clears.

I've also decided next tournament's team is going to be Gastronok Slug God of Free Hats or something like that.

Took it slow, took it steady, played smart. Won my very next game. That's the tourney win I committed myself to done, now it's time to get back to splatting GrEEs. I probably coasted on some absurd jewelry gifts from floorgod, but I'm okay with that. Killed another tzitzimitl for the team, too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zaodai posted:

In today's lesson, I learn that Enchant Weapon scrolls no longer remove curses. :saddowns:

They used to do that, right?

Yep. Changed this patch.

What's a doorvault?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Doorvault is a large square vault made of runed doors that is an experiment in curiosity in relation to cats (where players substitute as the cat).

In older versions, it was made of secret doors instead!

Huh. That sounds...interesting?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So how do people usually skill spellcasters? I'm back to working on GrEE, and I'm not sure when it's okay if ever for me to start working on defensive skills instead of spellcasting stuff. Like at the beginning pump Spellcasting/Earth Magic/Conjurations until I have ~25 MP and LRD and Stone Arrow castable, fine. That's usually done by like D:6. But by the time I hit Lair, hopefully Vehumet is giving me Bolts and/or Iron Shot, and I want to get those castable for tougher poo poo in Lair:8, as well as keep getting more Spellcasting for spell slots.

Somewhere in there I want to fit in a weapon skill, Dodging/Armour/Fighting, and maybe Evocations, as well as any other spell schools that might be relevant (Charms if I find Swiftness early, Fire Magic period, etc etc.) I'm not sure what to do, it's kind of a mire and I feel like I'm loving up no matter what I do.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

chukamok posted:

I forgot to mention previously, but congrats to fellow Lean Mean Purple-Eating-Machine members fulsomfrank on the DsFi win and static on the HOMo win (not that there is anything wrong with that). Also, thanks to everyone involved in setting up the tournament.

if we're talking about bad Crawl names, I just deleted a tournament screenshot of a ring I found named "Bint."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Darox posted:

Speaking of banners & uniques, Vow of Courage I is "kill Sigmund before depths". I know that in ages past, Sigmund could show up at points way past his usual early dungeon locations (I've met in him Vaults:7 before) but is it actually still possible for him to do that? Or is it just a cute addition to make it fit with the higher tiers of VoC.

it's not before Depths, but I found a weird vault in Lair during the tournament that had Sigmund, Natasha, and a bunch of other early uniques in it. It was silly fun.

lordfrikk posted:

I saw all the uniques at least once but I've never seen the Learnaenan hydra.

Call yourself lucky then. I hit a bad streak in the middle of the tournament where all I was doing was dying to the Lernaean Hydra on Swamp:4.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Ghost moths are in Spider, Vaults, Depths, and Zot. They're permanently invisible, you "see" them when they start draining your MP.

What version are you playing? I thought brain worms were removed in 0.18.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Prism posted:

I would go so far as to say that playing slowly and carefully is probably the very best roguelike skill there is.

Agreed. During the tournament I was splatting like crazy until I sat down and made myself take everything slowly and carefully. I won two games later.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Please tell me you step in the middle and it's actually a door vault of ancestor ghosts. :colbert:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
They're not going to get rid of Nemelex because it's the Crawl reference in World of Warcraft. It would be genuinely weird if my WoW character had a deck and my Crawl characters couldn't.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Any tips for playing Pakellas / a deep dwarf? If he's going away I want to get that sweet DDAr action before the end of 0.18.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

Any tips for playing Pakellas / a deep dwarf? If he's going away I want to get that sweet DDAr action before the end of 0.18.

Well that didn't take long. Less than 36 hours from that post, actually.

code:
1694672 Arivia the Brilliant (level 27, 137/203 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Dwarf Fighter on June 6, 2016.
             Was a High Priest of Pakellas.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 08:29:22 (80938 turns).

Arivia the Brilliant (Deep Dwarf Fighter)          Turns: 80938, Time: 08:29:23

Health: 137/203    AC: 42    Str: 35    XL:     27
Magic:  6/12       EV: 17    Int:  6    God:    Pakellas [*****.]
Gold:   1269       SH: 29    Dex: 13    Spells: 0 memorised, 26 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis .    a - +9 eveningstar (antimagic)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    I - +6 gold dragon armour
rNeg   + + .      Faith    .    h - +1 large shield {reflect}
rPois  +          Spirit   .    F - +2 hat
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    u - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  .          Reflect  +    s - +2 pair of gloves of Reason {rC+ Str+3}
SustAt .          Harm     .    c - +0 pair of boots {Fly}
MR     +++++      Rnd*Rage +    i - amulet of the Lonely Planets {Regen+ Str+4}
Stlth  ..........               m - ring of Nifie {rElec rC- MR+ Stlth+}
                                N - ring of Jyrext {rF++ rN+ Str+5 Dex-4}

@: flying, non-regenerating, almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments,
extremely unstealthy
A: damage resistance, recharge devices, berserk 1, clumsy 2, dopey 2, frail 3,
negative energy resistance 1, sense surroundings 3, slow regeneration 3, subdued
magic 2
a: Device Recharging, Quick Charge, Device Surge, Renounce Religion, Stop Flying
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, silver

bitcoin bastard posted:

Counterpoint: Play a DDFi of Pakellas, understand that it's entirely different from usual Crawl. Once you hit the Pak altar the game becomes all about damage taken versus piety gained. Not much can outright kill you, but woe to the DD who runs out of piety and HW charges.

I basically took this to heart, and it worked pretty well. It was weird running around at less than full health for 99% of the game but it worked. My problem wasn't piety so much as MP, actually. I just built super tanky and was very aggressive about Quick Charging my wands, to the point of doing it in the middle of a melee to not waste MP.

And yeah not much could kill me, the only rough times were elephant graveyard Lair end, Snake, V:5 and Zot.

Zot:5 was a loving mess. Tons of orbs of fire, and every one gave me MP-linked wands. I'd had an amazing mutation suite for most of the game, but had to kill it to get rid of literally the worst possible mutation for my character. I didn't even know Zot effects were a thing but they tried to kick my rear end a couple times. Also something kept dismissing my device surged beasts from a box of beasts which sucked because I'd been saving those for some fun at the end.

Grabbed the orb and had my worst orb run ever, starting with a pan lord that I couldn't outrun and that just wouldn't die in Zot that I managed to juke. Then another pan lord loving banished me. To Abyss:5. With the Orb. Goddamn terrifying poo poo. I survived a mess in Abyss only to escape back into the pan lord and his crew. Turned out I got banished by the pan lord having distortion melee or something, because I had a lucky stroke of luck and it hit me to teleport me halfway across the map and next to a set of stairs instead. Got the gently caress out from there.

I'm glad I'm done with DD. I probably could have done more with Pakellas (since I basically just used it as an endless source of healing and didn't use evokables THAT much), but it got what turned out to be a frustrating, lovely race done with. It was fun in mid-game Abyss trips realizing I could go forever as long as I had food, which was nice, and I was endlessly tanky. But it was just such a micromanaging mess and I had the most fun with my supercharged rod of iron blowing apart entire rooms.

edit: Also floor god was cranky. I never saw brand weapon or a remotely good amulet ever, but it was nice to do Elf:2 and finally get my staple weapon there. I was hoping for something good and I smiled when I saw that animated antimagic eveningstar. Yes. Be mine, lovely.

edit2: Popping a phantom mirror on Xtahua was hilarious, though.

Also that took me like 3 games after I started, my fourth game ever as a DD. My first win that wasn't an MiBe. Pakellas might make deep dwarf a little too easy.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 7, 2016

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

You have found out the worst kept secret of Dungeon Crawl: Deep Dwarves are the strongest species to exist. :ssh:

I don't ever want to play one again :(

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Bring back surfboard. Then give him Injury Mirror (nihilistic death cult attitude kept) and Waterstrike with the Water Nymph water moving thing while keeping paralyze. Change his habitat to Amphibious and make him a shoals only unique.

That would be pretty great, although Shoals has the most uniques of any Lair branch already I think (2 instead of 1 for the others).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So what's a good stealthy/stabber setup? I've been playing tons of big strong stompy dudes, I want to try something smaller and quieter.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So Dith spriggan what background? Also how about skilling? Go 50/50 on short blades and stealth? Is it worth keeping Stealth turned on all the time like Fighting?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dee Ehm posted:

Dithmenos isn't the only stabbing god, if you see another decent god like Ashenzari / Gozag / whatever early on you'll probably be better off than holding off and hoping Dithmenos shows up soon.

Enchanter is a favorite overall stealth character, Assassin is an acceptable choice as well with the free blowgun and curare. Either way, you're best off picking up some magic.

Stealth is definitely not worth overinvesting in (fighting also I wouldn't always have on either, especially at the very beginning!) No matter how much stealth skill you have you will be seen sometimes, at which point it's not helping you in that fight. Also, as a Spriggan you can never have enough dodging.

Enchanter wants to focus on short blades especially until mindelay but also get their hexes up, as well as some stealth / spellcasting as needed. You're going to have to switch around skills a lot, bases on whatever you need at the time / adapt to what the floorgod gives you.

Yeah, you're right, "always on" was the wrong language. I was more wondering if it had notable breakpoints like weapon skills or some spell schools.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You all made stabbers sound really complicated and hard so I've just been playing KoHu instead. CROSSBOWS (it's fun anyway and it is itching my smaller, more fragile want)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
With the new bee priests, we need Hive as an alternative to Orc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

the ancient halls of the elves, hidden below an impenetrable mass of bees

DO IT

also please remind me to never edit learndb again, I just got into some stupid slapfight because an idiot couldn't comprehend that constriction deals damage (he thought engulf was just silence you could move out of)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Why do all the hell branches have like 7 floors then? That seems even more pointless.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Good change on Lair.
Orc still feels a bit short, but maybe I'm the only one who likes hold tab to make Orcs disappear.

I like that too :smith: I'm kind of sad kill all the orcs branch is mostly dead.

PleasingFungus posted:

the canonical ultimate form of dcss is <@rX0

As someone who only plays tiles, help me decipher that: up stairs, player, a rune?, no idea??, the orb?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Hell has 7 floors because they're all empty and never have loot on the ground except for the last one; they're each a gauntlet of trying to get to the last floor through hell effects and having to start over completely if you feel like you need to go take a breather.

That sure sounds like hell. :rimshot:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

In ten years, Dungeon Crawl SS will just be one floor with 46 possible generated themed second floors that hold the orb of zot.

It will just be named Dungeon Crawl. The two levels will be Stone:1 and Soup:1 and no one will remember why.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
0.18 made Finesse work for Formicids. Or another patch. Either way yes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If you haven't done it yet, maybe do Crypt? Just go slow and steady and it's pretty easy for a big brawly dude. You might find some better jewelry for resistances. Also, Zot is a LOT of XP if you clear it out (and you probably should), but you still shouldn't have your skills that spread out. Turn off everything except Shields for right now until you get to 25 to take the penalties off that large shield, then go back to Polearms and Fighting.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I think this is Crawl telling me to play something else for a bit:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I haven't played this game since before Ru was even on trunk, did they ever add combat abilities or whatever they were going to do to try to make weapon classes more distinct (other than axes cleaving and polearm reach)?

Did they ever make weapon skill affect attack speed in a non idiotic way so you don't have a weird soft cap for most weapons?

Ru's on first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Wondering what I should do next on this character: http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Arivia/Arivia.txt (note I just tried that chain mail on and only saw the failure chances now, everything except conjure ball lightning was at about 10% or less in the +0 robes I was wearing before)

1) I have a good selection of spells, but I feel like I'm not really punching well enough. Stuff like elephants and boulder beetles were still taking a couple Iron Shots to get through and I didn't have any great area spells when things weren't in LRD range (except igniting mephitic cloud, hence picking up Ball Lightning when Vehumet offered it to me). In terms of skills should I focus on getting my magic schools higher to make my spells hit harder? Iron Shot was giving me hunger problems, but the staff of energy solves that. (I haven't received my final spell gifts from Vehumet.)

2) Or should I branch out and look at some other stuff? I got that demon trident at the bottom of lair, and that chain mail is nice too. I haven't put any points into Fighting/Dodging/a weapon skill/Evocations at all.

3) Any other general tips? I have a scroll of acquirement, not sure what to use it on.

Thanks!

edit: I know I ask for help with spellcasters a lot, I feel after Lair is specifically when I start floundering, hence asking for help.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 5, 2016

• Locked thread