Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

After finally seeing Civil War tonight, it was nice of them to fix most of the problems with the comic arc. Tony has actual good motivations compared to what we got in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

COVERED WITH SCORPIONS

GET THEM OFFFFFFF MEEEEEEEE!

Fox should just adapt the 'Previously on X-Men' video into a film verbatim

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

X-O posted:

I think the only thing wrong with the X-Men movies is that I'm really tired of Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique. And from the reviews it seems like the movie just retreads the same stories with them. If we can get them out of the X-Men movies I think they'd be a lot fresher.
Mystique has never been that interesting outside of parts of First Class where she had more of an actual agenda. In the first three X movies she was just around to do whatever the plot demanded, generally. She felt unnecessary to me in DoFP besides being a plot-point.

The Xavier/Magneto stuff in FC/DoFP were some of the better parts of the film. Although I agree that DoFP is not very good to Magneto.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean I've never seen Kinberg in person so he could be a Ferengi.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

X-O posted:

Don't want to get anyone's hopes up again, but what the hell. Looks like Michael Keaton is back in the running for Spider-Man Homecoming.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/spider-man-michael-keaton-villain-1201770783/
To me he could be a great Norman Osborn

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

X-O posted:

I believe Venom is still getting the movie where it's not connected Spider-Man or the MCU at all. Because that makes sense.

EDIT: Deadline is reporting now that Michael Keaton in Spider-Man Homecoming is a done deal.
I'll believe that as soon as they release that Sinister Six movie they still seem to think is not dead.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Well they're discussing X-Force and New Mutants, so changes are coming. I think a lot of it is going to depend on what happens with McAvoy and Fassbender's contracts I would imagine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking how the stakes in Civil War, they're pretty personal and low. Like Zemo just wants to destroy the Avengers for revenge for his family, he doesn't want to take over the world, destroy NYC, steal a billion dollars, or anything. He wants to drive a wedge between Cap and Tony so the team would not function anymore. Yes the Accords will effect all powered beings on earth, but there is no massive sea change in how societies function brought about by it.

It's very interesting to see a big super hero movie with its big important thing being so small. I guess Batman v Superman the stakes are purely who lives or dies Batman or Superman, but then Lex clearly has plans beyond that by introducing Doomsday into the mix, and then his declaration of "He (Darkseid) is coming".

BTW, I was thinking about how disappointed I am that Syder Superman doesn't have a fortress of solitude, somewhere he can just be Superman, and have access to the sum total of Kryptonian knowlage. It's like Bruce not having a Bat-Cave.
I liked the little swerve at the end where they play up the idea that 'oh crap, this guy has control over a bunch of super soldiers' only to find that he killed them all and it was just a ruse to make sure they both showed up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Clone Saga ruined everything, this is just another part

Remember that part of the goal of this whole thing was to have an unmarried Spider-Man. Which gets brought up years later when they decided to do One More Day.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The main criticism is that a lot of authors use rape/sexual assault in their work for shock value. Which sadly is true in some cases.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's a pretty good example of shoving too much into a movie, which then causes important stuff to end up on the cutting room floor.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I see a lot of people saying they hated everything BUT Batman in the movie, which is weird as gently caress to me. Sure, Affleck did a good job, but what a miserable, lovely take on the character. It's like they took the already dislikeable, one-dimensional version of the character from the Arkham games and made him even more of a one dimensional rear end in a top hat.
The last Arkham game changed that though? Half of the story was about Bruce not being able to do everything on his own.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

lomzus posted:

Logan Marshall Green and Martin Starr has joined Spiderman - Homecoming, Green as a villain.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/prometheus-star-logan-marshall-green-silicon-valley-star-martin-starr-a142657
I really hope it's not Vulture and The Tinkerer as the villains like they are speculating.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So this is now the second time that the studio or the director has basically implied that their fans are not smart enough to 'get' BvS?

Maybe not have a Superman who is indistinguishable from Batman. It's kind of ridiculous to have them fight when they have almost the same view of humanity.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That one on the left is basically the 90s cartoon version. Minus the glasses which are on the middle one

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Silver Sable? Really? I would have thought that the forever delayed Venom spinoff would be more likely.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

X-O posted:

Unfortunately it really is hard to justify released a three hour $250M superhero movie in first run. I think it would have made less money even being a better film overall. The problem lies in letting it be bloated enough to need that kind of runtime in the first place.
This is exactly why Marvel didn't start with Avengers. It would have been like 5 hours long.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

We've seen the Cosmic Cube/Tesseract, the thing from Thor 2, and the Gem from GotG. I may be forgetting something but I think that's it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I liked what they did with Zemo. The comic version isn't super well known by most people so it's nice that they went for something different.

My biggest problem with the film was the lack of mention during the scene where Ross shows that video about how many people they saved in NYC by preventing its destruction. Or how if they hadn't been in Sokovia the entire continent or more would have been wiped out.

And yes, the pro-Accord side leaves out that SHIELD, who was supposed to regulate the Avengers and others, was infiltrated for decades by HYDRA.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Doom is no where near the level of obnoxiousness as the Joker. Dumbass Katana and trenchcoat wearing nerds don't idolize him nearly as much.
They also aren't going out of their way to make Doom 'edgy' or whatever it is they keep doing with the Joker the last few years

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DrProsek posted:

Looks like someone doesn't understand method acting.

(I loving hate when people say that re: Leto's wacky antics getting ready to play Joker. When I think Joker, I don't think "handing coworkers weird poo poo" or "fedexing stuff")
I was referring to the comics version, specifically where he cuts his own face off

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Leslie Jones' character, based on the trailers, seemed obnoxious. I hope that was just because of the trailers. Like it seemed very stereotypical.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

When you do a film that's mostly improv on-set it's a total crapshoot as to whether it was going to work. Jon Favreau was able to pull that off in Iron Man when it could have been a total disaster. The general consensus I'm seeing for this film is that it's more misses than hits.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Is that JL trailer supposed to get people excited?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The WW trailer is good, but the JL one is meh. I agree that Cyborg looks a bit ridiculous with all of that CGI.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

X-O posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSzx-zryEgM

That is one trippy as gently caress trailer. Love it.
Baron Mordo isn't a villain in this maybe yet? Hmm.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The weirdest thing I'm seeing in these reviews is that the Joker is barely in the film.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

RevKrule posted:

How Marvel makes their movies can't be that big of a secret can it? It can't be that hard when they make it seem so easy can it?
It helps when you have competent people working on something like a cinematic universe. It's pretty clear that the DC people are making this up as they go along.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

For all the criticism Marvel gets about 'sanitizing' directors' visions, it sounds like DC didn't let David Ayer do his thing either

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

How do you make Suicide Squad boring? It feels like it should at least fail in an interesting way.
How much do you want to bet that after BvS, the WB execs got their hands all over it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ocean's 12 is an embarrassment to cinema.

I still don't know what they were thinking when they made that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

site posted:

12 was the one featuring Julia Robert's character pretending to be Julia Roberts for the heist and an EMP machine right?

lol
I still can't believe they wrote that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

aaannnnddd the DC fan meltdown has already begun

https://twitter.com/johnd0p3/status/760596902106787840

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DrProsek posted:

Skimming the Suicide Squad movie reviews, it sounds like Harley Quinn is handled in a pretty bad way, i.e. "the sexiest abuse victim", and her flashbacks to the Joker are less "look at this hosed up poo poo Harley endured" and more "look how cool Joker is (while being abusive)".
It seems like the consensus is that the female characters in the film (other than Waller) are not handled well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I do find it interesting that they may have blown up the film because a teaser trailer tested positively with a tone that didn't fit Ayer's movie. Studios are dumb.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

This is his fate in the comics and probably in the film.
Wish they had given Boomerang that costume in the movie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kinneman is the only worthwhile thing about the American version of The Killing TV show

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

My guess is that SS opens big and has a big drop off before settling around $250-300 mil domestic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Viola Davis was good as Waller? That's what I'm getting from the reviews. That seemed like a perfect casting choice when I first heard it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Optimus Prime was a bad guy like 2 movies ago from what I've seen. He straight-up executes a begging Megatron at the end of 3.

• Locked thread