Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Magik just needs to have the big sword, teleport and demonic magic. You can certainly have the Colossus big brother stuff too, but like Billy and Teddy, you can simplify without losing much of the character.

So Watching Winter Soldier, I've only been to DC twice, and only ever went to the touristy places, though i'm sure a goon who knows more about the layout, what part of the city is Caps apartment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Glad the theater we are seeing it has assigned seating.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
About half the audiance laughed at Jim Rash being MIT's Dean. It's Massachusetts Institute of TechnoloDean! Kinda makes my hope for Alison Brie being Spider-Woman a little bit more realistic if they want to tap more Community alum for the Russos films.

And the whole film works because Tony and Steve both have well defined personalities, and both of them clash. Before they've been able to work it out, but the accords and then Zemo's plotting was able to causer a rift between the two of them that was basically unbreachable. I loved that Widow was the level headed one. She stayed on Tony's side becuase she thought that was the right thing to do, but when she saw how determined Steve was to not just protect his friend but also had figured out the plot, she switches.

God drat Black Panther and Spider-Man were done well. His reaction to Tony in his living room was pretty fantastic, and his attempts to deflect Tony's questions about Spider-Man were great. T'challa gave us the honour and skill that the character possesses, and i loved just how drat agile he was in every single fight. Even if he got knocked around, he still maintained his balance and came back. I liked how they had T'Chaka too, though I had already guessed that his motivations was to avenge his father.

Loved Bucky and Falcon together. There was never any "but I thought I was your best friend" stuff in it, and their interactions were pretty fantastic. Loved after Steve and Sharon finally kiss they're just smiling ear to ear thinking "Finally you big doof!".

I liked Steve and Wanda's relationship, when he came to her after the first mission in the film to comfort her it wasn't so much as a leader, or even as a mentor, but almost fatherly, or big brotherish. Comics wise the two always had a unspoken attraction to each other, but i doubt that was in play here. I just loved the amount of Scarlet Witch and her usage in the film. She being the thing that makes Steve go "no, gently caress that' was great, because as someone else said, if Bucky had been arrested and just put in prison, Steve probably could have been able to get something for him, but keeping a kid who's already feeling massive guilt for things under house arrest for no real reason other than for image was too much. Though when you think of it, the accidental death of 14 people is pretty low on the "things Wanda Maximoff has done by accident that were terrible" list.

I liked how Tony says "I wish we had a Hulk right now" and Rhodey says "You think he'd be on our side?".

As for the future I'm curious if the Wakandans will make Steve a new shield, or maybe they'll create the Hard Light one he had for a while. Tony giving Steve back his shield when the Kree attack in the next Avengers movie or whatever will be the moment the two have made up. I'd not be surprised if in the next one, Tony will have recruited a bunch of new heroes, based on the whole 60 marvel characters in the next Avengers film, but will have to call on Steve's team when poo poo gets really bad. I'd guess that this is where Captain Marvel and any other major characters for the next phase will be introduced. I hope Black Panther will have T'challa and Bucky teaming up, that would be kinda awesome.

Lastly I'm glad no one died. It's actually become cliche to have someone die in these big event movies.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this? posted:

There's a rumor that the Tower of Terror at Disney's California Adventure is going to be changed into a Guardians of the Galaxy themed ride.

The Dark Astor ride!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Light Gun Man posted:

Another thing with Cap is all his WWII stuff was like a few years ago to him. The things he did and learned there are still fresh in his mind.

I recently learned that Avengers happens around 2 weeks after the end of The First Avenger. And even then, the stuff from The First Avenger only happened over a year at most.

Starsnostars posted:

I wonder if Ant-Man and Captain Marvel will have a big "This is set before the events of Avengers: Infinity War Part I" or will actually be set in between the two Avengers film.

I really do expect Captain Marvel to be introduced in Not Called Infinity War 2. Even if she's just Carol Danvers USAF or whatever version they go with. Probably not unlike the way Black Panther is introduced. Actually they could totally introduce her as a Government Superhero who, after seeing the inaction of the powers that be during whatever crisis occurs in the film, goes rogue and joins with the Avengers. How'd she get powers? Volunteered for an experiment with alien tech? Who knows, like Star Wars, you can literally just hand wave away any weird stuff as magic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxxupation posted:

Whatever they go with they better go with her current hairstyle.

Since, you know, it rules.

I seriously believe her redesign was partially done with putting her in a movie. Her old outfit, well, as Jess put it "You went out with your cheeks exposed!", but the new one is clearly mean to invoke the Captain part of Captain Marvel.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I know it's probably a bit too much to hope for but I'd love to see the Carol-corp from the recent Secret Wars series on the big screen someday.

Naw, Alpha Flight. Puck on the big screen! I have heard that the solo movie is going to using the KSD run as a blueprint, but i'm hoping more in the vein of Carol is well liked by people in general and has a solid network of friends she relies on, and its a big dork. I mean, they better have her cat Chewie, and she needs to wear a Star Wars shirt at least once.

I do hope that Moonstone is the villain of her movie, and they don't go cosmic for her first solo film. Moonstone, not just because for some reason I love the character, but also that is another Thunderbolt they can have. Also moonstone is a lot more interesting that Deathbird, but like Mystique, I'm sure Deathbird is with X-men rights as she's a Shi'ar.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think Zemo knew about Black Panther though. Even though he was on Tony's side, he wasn't really. He had his own agenda and for a time it matched up with Starks. As soon as he figured it out he was on his own. BP could have tried to intervene between Cap and Tony, but probably realized that they had to finish it, or they'd never really finish it. [spoiler]

Something i keep seeing people confused about [spoiler] is how Steve knew. Uh Widow gave him that file on Winter Soldier, and straight up said "you're not going to like what you find" so it could be there. Or even when Zola was showing him his power point presentation

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

You know the amazing thing about Stark hitting on Aunt May and talking about how young she is? Well, 2 amazing things. 1: Marisa Tomei is more than twice Holland's age, so yes, of course she could be his aunt and 2: She's the EXACT same age as RDJ, so we have a Hollywood tentpole movie where a middle-aged dude is showing interest in a woman his own age, and not half that.

If this was 1996 they would be a RomCom together.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Afleck is now one of the producers on Justice League. DC really does just have "It's just about Batman" in its films don't they?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Toxxupation posted:

I dunno, this is likely my DC hatred bubbling up but I really just don't like how virtually every single female superhero is written in the DC pantheon. I think like, Oracle is one of the few female DC supes (besides WW, obviously) that has a legacy around her that's not troubling (not to mention how most DC female supes are currently written) and even then Oracle has the whole problem of her origins. Again it all comes back to how the Supergirl tv show can't go two minutes without reminding us she's SUPERMAN's cousin.

Just wait until the Killing Joke animated movie comes out and makes it explicit what the Joker did to Babs after shooting her.

Because, edgy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, I loved the Shadow. I haven't seen it in forever, but I remember it being fantastic and fun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

rantmo posted:

No movie with Tim Curry and Ian McKellan can be all bad.

I remember Tim Curry, he says to the female lead "When are you going to come down and see my spheres?" but I don't remember Ian McKellan.

I also remember thinking how much the Shadows story was very similar to Doctor Stranges.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't have time to watch the whole movie before bed, but the extended freeway scene on the Deadpool BRD is pretty funny as Colossus keeps changing from full CGI, to place holder, to the stand in during the extended parts.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Steppenwolf, with Granny Goodness and the Furies, have Barda betray them. I'll watch that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, I keep thinking how awesome Divine would have been playing Granny Goodness.

I am really interested to see where AoA goes wrong, because they've given us 2 good X-men films in a row, and is it just they lost it? Though I keep seeing "this will be a bigger failure than BvS!", but it's still doubling its RT scores.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I kept laughing to myself at work thinking about when Weseal says to Wade "you look like an avocado and another, uglier avocado hosed, and like hate loving..." because I work with a lot of avocados.

Black Panther is basically the "you don't think we think about diversity in movies?" answer from Marvel isn't it? Thing is, it will probably be a big hit, and hopefully open up more avenues for more diverse casts in the Superhero movies.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CzarChasm posted:

I wonder if there is some reverse "Marvel Effect" where if DC starts making movies featuring their more obscure characters and teams, people will start saying"Finally, this will be the DC movie that I have faith in and will get people into the theaters."

Mr Miracle here we come!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am really trying to think of any major black male superheroes that haven't been adapted yet, and I can only think of Blue Marvel and Goliath. Michael B Jordan as Blue Marvel would be kind of awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Black Lightning

That reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKbGnzmidsw

But yea, I meant Marvel, and I forgot about Rage.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Black Knight as he's been currently isn't too bad, where Dayne is kind of nuts becuase of Black Sword, but yea old school Black Knight was really silly. It was very clear in the 60s Lee, Kirby, Ditko and the other first wave of Marvel creators were just coming up with everything and anything for a character and trying them out seeing how they were received.

I heard today that during an interview, Sharon Stone was asked if she'll ever do a Marvel movie, and she is doing one, but it's a small part. My friends Podcast mentioned she might be playing Jan Van Dyne-Pym, which would be pretty cool.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 15, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

I do.

But I also want Darkhawk, Night Thrasher, Speedball, Elsa Bloodstone, and Wonder Man. So my movie wouldn't make much money.

I'd love to see all of those in supporting roles, though I still want my Avengers Dark netflix series with Elsa, Blade, Morbius, Man-Thing and Hellstrum.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

less laughter posted:

Don't bring the Pope into this

You know he's Team Cap though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Space X-men would at least give us the Starjammers though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They should skip the Dark Phoenix Saga and do the Brood Saga because it's almost as good, but doesn't get nearly as much love. Obviously they wouldn't be able to use Carol to become Binary, but it gives literally everyone on the team something to do, plus you can introduce new, younger versions of Kitty and Colossus.

And the Starjammers, I loving want the Starjammers in a movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

So with Skurge, that pretty much means we'll get the Enchantress in Thor too.

You'd think they would have announced her with this. Also no Leah, but that would be a fairly minor part.

Man, Goldblum as Grandmaster is like the best thing. I hope Not Infinity War has him and the Collector hanging out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kids love Venom for some reason, so they're certainly going to try to do something with him.

The best thing about Hela is they totally can do her big crazy helmet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soonmot posted:

Probably because b5 isn't on streaming services. Which is a shame, because it is great.

It also existed before Nerds automatically accepted any genre poo poo as the best ever and built whole fan communities around it. I blame Firefly for that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ImpAtom posted:

It may not be in Taiwan (though that would be surprising) but Batman is by a significant degree one of the most valuable superhero properties worldwide and has proven a strong demographic seller in every market. Other DC heroes ain't as popular but as long as they have Batman you can't really say nobody cares.

This is basically DC movies the world over. I think if WW is the first really successful non-Batman movie for WB and DC, it's going to send the execs into panic because the idea of a woman lead action movie being a huge hit, that defies all logic!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ImpAtom posted:

Wonder Woman is pretty unlikely to be more successful than MoS or BvS. It'd be amazing if it was but it's just extremely unlikely. It doing very well for what it is is entirely possible and if it does as well as BvS then that'll be mindblowing. It's worth remembering that BvS was by no means a failure, just nowhere as big a success as they clearly hoped.

Civil War doing better however is probably the cause of the Geoff Johnsing of the film department. An era where "Iron Man vs Captain America" is a much, much, much larger seller than "Batman vs Superman" would have been completely unthinkable even a few years ago.

It doesn't have to make more money necessarily, but if it becomes a fan and critically successful movie, but then Deadpool was all 3. Anyways, I just want the old timey thinking execs at WB to realize that the world isn't as separated as it once was between boys stuff and girls stuff. Actually, isn't that also Pearlmutters problem? He used to be the president of Toybiz or something and still things that there are boy toys and girl toys, and that thinking infects everything he over sees?

I know some people who worked on SS and they told me they had to send copies of all their reference materials for the sets that the finale and some other key action sequences took place in, so I gathered from that they needed some big impressive stuff to add in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Arctic Baldwin posted:

just saw x-men apocalypse. some pretty fun scenes but takes a while to get going. apocalypse looks and sounds pretty dopey imo

there is an after credit scene but i dont think you should wait to watch it a man goes to the weapon x facility and takes some blood samples from wolverine and a couple other. his suitcase says "Essex"

Well, Sinister is the most 90s of all villains

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jamesman posted:

No he's not. Tony thought his parents died in an accident. Cap knew they were murdered. He didn't know Bucky was the one who murdered them.

In Winter Soldier, Steve is literally shown "Howard Stark Dead" followed by a picture of Bucky and Zola says "when people wont do what we say or are out of our control, we have the Winter Soldier take them out".

It's pretty clear he knew there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I still see Zola saying "Winter Soldier killed Howard Stark the way he killed Fury" in that clip.

Also this is dumb as poo poo
http://collider.com/x-men-apocalypse-deleted-scenes-jubilee/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=collidersocial

Of all the major 90s as gently caress X-men, Jubilee is the best after Cable.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ImpAtom posted:

The funniest part of Civil War will always remain the out-of-nowhere random kiss they included just to make sure that the entire film wasn't about Captain America's desperate lust for Bucky, only 99% of it.

That is worth it just for Sam and Bucky's reaction to it. Also Chris Evans and Emily Van Camp would make the most aryan babies ever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ignite Memories posted:

Jesus christ, I can't believe we're getting more of the same charles/magneto/logan crap instead of jubilee. gently caress this movie.

I mean the conflict between Chuck/Erik has been decided to be the central conflict in the X-men movies, which I can accept, but yea, throwing Wolverine in there for no reason other than it being Wolverine is just unforgivable.

I can accept the Wolverine change in DoFP, and I commend them for not having him solve the problem, but leaving that to the natives of that time period.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MacheteZombie posted:

Oh for sure. Bucky should be jelly of Sharon getting some mack time in with Steve.

He's totally think "oh yea Golden Rule time".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soonmot posted:

The only thing better than Jubilee is vampire Jubilee.

Yeah, I said it!

100% behind you on that. And now it means that the X-men (as in the team in the movie) is again, a bunch of white kids.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Sam and Bucky's reaction to the kiss was probably the biggest laugh in the theater i saw it in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's too bad that the movie makes Apocalypse feel really under developed. One of the most terrifying villains in all of the marvel universe while being powerful, just seems like he's doing what he does becuase that what the plot demands he does. It was like they saw how Doom has been written in Fantastic Four movies and said "lets do that".

Specific stuff about the movie As others have said, the main story feels really weak, with the kids being a much more interesting story. I'd have loved for the majorty of act 1 focusing on Scott, Jean, Kurt and Quicksilver would be much more interesting that seeing McAvoy and Fassbender as the center. Honestly, I think if they weren't playing the characters, the stories would not be nearly as compelling. I was really happy that Sophie Turner was good, because her accent was something I worried about, but nope, nailed it. Also nothing makes Angel cool, glad he was the only one who actually died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I forgive The Wolverine cameo because they had him in his Weapon X gear. It looks like someone working on the movie actually opened a comic for a moment

• Locked thread