Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ooo, a Norwegian viking leader! Does that mean we'll see a later era Danish one? Like Christian 4. or Christian X?? :dance:

No, we're not, Sweden and their omnipresent Gustav's taking the last Scandinavian spot, of course. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Christina for Sweden to make grog heads explode.

Theodora isn't looking like she'll make an appearance, so yeah, Christina will fill her spot perfectly.

If you know what I mean. :heysexy:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Cythereal posted:

You're presumably a guy so you're not Christina's type. :v:

I guess my point doesn't make much sense, seeing how Theodora's not here!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

So how will Civ6 handle their obvious DLC monetization policy, while also allowing modding? Because if modding is allowed, then people will be able to trivially add their own civs to the game which cuts into DLC sales. Are they going to pull another civV where modding is basically impossible but they "totally swear that they will release an SDK, for real guys, we promise."

Maybe they'll disable achievements multiplayer when using mods? :shepface:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

:gonk::hf::gonk:

You and me both, buddy. Feels like I'm missing out on game content without!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I still haven't heard anything regarding modding, how's it faring? There's no mention of it on the Steam page, even though they mentioned how great it would be prelaunch.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

SirTagz posted:

Any reports about future patches or when the diplo ai gets overhauled?

If the AI stops being an automated coinflipping machine for everything diplomacy, then I might give this series another chance.

Two games in a row with a completely arbitrary AI, sheesh.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I think I'm starting to see some of the complaints about the AI. I've had both Hungary and Korea declare surprise wars in me, and then because I wound up taking cities they hit me with a ton of grievances. Like, I get that it's pretty realistic, but I didn't ask to go to war with you dipshits, and don't think I can be blamed too badly for wanting to neutralize the cities closest to me borders. You know, where the threats were coming from.

It feels like the game was supposed to have military and civilian targets, and cities weren't meant to be both. It'd make sense that people would get angry if you start molesting cities, when blowing up airfields and military installations would win the war for you.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

Just play the civ game you wanna play. People in this thread have four digit playtimes across each, and everyone will argue why their 1,000 hour time investment in title x is superior to y because :words:

VI is cheap as heck on steam right now and is the current release, get that& the expacs if you don’t know which to invest a few hundred hours in. The expansions are good for vi, it follows the usual mode of base game is weak until two expansions are out fleshing out completely ignored systems. Climate change is mostly okay, but some mods can help that. If you bounced off vanilla, idk try again? If you disliked the art style enough to not like it though that’s kinda a done deal I’d imagine.

There will always be the people to say IV and V are the only titles worth playing, but unless you have a serious nostalgia for the old titles just pass on them.

I've been told that the first expansion for VI, Rise and Fall, has had its features lumped into the second expansion, Gathering Storm. You buy RaF for its leaders now.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Serephina posted:

Aside from that, I'm sorry but that filter is awful.

Thought I was seeing things. What even is this. :stare:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Marmaduke! posted:

And why do the developers focus so much effort and cost on them? How many people actually give a drat about them?

They're flashy things that attract sales.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Comstar posted:

This just got released and should be in then op.

Christopher Tin - Sogno di Volare ("The Dream of Flight") Official Music Video. It got tears in my eyes.

The game might be irreparably bugged, but this is still an earworm.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I just want Civ, but with an AI that isn't farcically stupid.

Oh and a throne room.

And FMV.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Guildenstern Mother posted:

In all fairness if there wasn't a cute nuke animation it wouldn't be as satisfying to use. Maybe bump it down to 70% and use the extra 10% for game modes the AI handles even worse than districts.

I'm thoroughly satisfied with combat animations going blazing fast, but something as decisive as a nuke being unskippable is perfectly okay. And I normally hate animations that are just there to waste your time.

Is the AI capable of using nukes in 6? I'm on Deity as a habit, and I've yet to see it throw one.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

It would be cool if the game would pause between turns when your enemy has launched a nuclear attack on you, where the only thing that everyone can do is launch their own nukes. Making it possible for you, or anyone else, to strike back before that turn ends.

Why does this not exist.

Civ 5/6 feels too rigid for them to implement this. And if they weren't, the devs wouldn't be imaginative enough to make it happen.

Fister Roboto posted:

You forgot Sean Bean reading the worst quotes in all of history.

Seriously. Half the quotes are Churchill fawning, the other is meaningless dreck. And his sleepy delivery doesn't exactly help, either.

The newer leader intros are so weirdly delivered. He's much too.. wistful? I miss Nemoy.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ive seen a few times, but only after I hit them with one first

It's probably because the AI really loves fighters planes, not so much bombers.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

"I like pigs."

-Winston Churchill

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It actually reminds me a bit of the Crusader Kings series' trajectory; every iteration gets more and more meme-y, or whatever.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Nimoy really wanted that horse.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

They still feel like advisors, not governors, the governors.

Am I wrong in picking Magnus for settler spam, or the Penguin if there's a lack of room? I don't see much use in the other non-Amani people, except for Grandma +1 Builder Charge.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Yesterday I realised, that Bolívar and Pedro share the same animation set. Weren't these fancy animations Firaxis' mark of pride for Civ6?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

no one at firaxis had the slightest bit of pride about this game

Alright, but I'm fairly sure I read that's where the money went.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Corps and Monopolies is essentially unplayable against the AI, unless you turn off cultural victory and try to behave yourself.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Serephina posted:

That's not the first time I've heard that and I don't understand; the industry goods cost a pile of cogs for only so-so returns (obviously best used in big cities), but what's so OP about them? The wiki tells me they spit out a tiny amount of tourism with a 1% bonus for a monopoly, but... so what?

There's something wonky going on with the tourism bonus. It racks up more than any other source in the game, and it's spammable.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I sort of wish that luxury goods were based on trade routes, not bespoke trade deals. Or at least have those be very rare.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Have you tried nukes?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Civ6 has a bunch of those, with custom tech trees and mechanics. Dunno which expansion added them, I just got it all in a big pile.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Silk and coffee. Tobacco and incense are faith.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Every time João's girth presents itself on my screen, the game gets laggy as all hell.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Microplastics posted:

I've just started a game with Real AI Strategy (or whatever it's called) and the AI is still willing to hand over a lot of cash for horses and iron they're not even gonna use. They also sell luxuries for dirt cheap

We've had to put down some ground rules in our coop hotseat games. We can sell luxuries to the AI, but not buy any. Can't sell or buy favours, either, nor great works (not that you'd sell great works). Or sell access for chump change - it all adds up.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

my sincere, but vain, hope is that they replace every one of those elaborate animated models with whatever picture is on that ruler's wikipedia page, and then they spend all the money they would've spent on 3D animators on hiring someone to actually loving think about game balance.

Visuals sell.

But they never show UIs on the store page, so that doesn't count.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Nothing can measure up to my boy Kupe.

I'm a big fan of Philip's extremely overbearing, smug attitude when you're his friend. You're his scamp, and he knows it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

Any idea why I don't seem to have Julius Caesar when I have everyone else and the leader pass?

You gotta link your 2K account. Should be an option in the launcher.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

I've been playing a Zombies game with my buddy since yesterday. In our previous games together every once in awhile the non-host player would get a loading screen at the turn transition. No big deal, we're an ocean apart so I guess I get it. In the new patch the behavior has changed, now we both get a full minute of nothing happening at all before the non-host gets the loading screen, and it seems to happen almost every turn.

So that's not great.

All I want to do is finish the achievements before this thing rattles itself to pieces.

If you can live with playing strictly coop (or not peeking like it's GoldenEye on the N64), using Steam's remote play for hotseat fixes any multiplayer issues this and Civ5 ever had.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Maybe it's a vetting question, and they'll discard your entire entry if you liked Civ1.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I guess technically Warlock struck gold, but I'm sure there are earlier examples.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Been playing a bunch of two player coop, hotseat through Remote Play. It works perfectly fine, and you completely cut out any desyncs or other online gaming issues.

It's when one (or both!) players get into hellwars, and the one minute turns become 10-15 minutes of unending unit shuffling that it gets a bit intolerable. And it's not like the AI will ever defeat you in combat, so the game feels a foregone conclusion once cities starts falling. Which is fine when you're blitzing through on your own, but adding more players does make it harder to stomach. Think ~10 turns knocked out per evening when it gets intense.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Millenium seemed a ton of fun during the demo. There's a neat little resource system, where you slowly turn stuff into fancier stuff as you progress.

While picking your nation is meaningless (it changes your flag and city names), there seems to be a ton of flavour to wring out of the National Spirit system (kinda like Civ5's culture trees, except they're all tied to a specific resource). It's currently my most anticipated game, and I desperately hope they don't fumble the AI too much when it releases tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

Later this year, Ara : History Untold will be released.

Ara and Millenium could both be contenders to finally steal the Civ crown.

Gameplay-wise, possibly, but it's a niche of a niche competition, and I doubt either can make a dent in Civ7's eventual numbers.

I really want Civ to face some serious competition for 7, because their trajectory from 4 to 6 doesn't leave me with much hope.

E:

This was a dumb post, disregard.