Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I like to imagine somewhere on Vulcan there are a bunch of guys who are constantly giving Sarek poo poo. The loving pedo married a god drat 26 year old literal infant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Watching Yesterday's Enterprise before you're familiar with the cast is a terrible idea. The Devil's Due and Who Watches the Watchers are good bets for introducing TNG.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Like I mentioned before I just started rewatching DS9 for the second time. It's really neat (like with a Star Trek/90s television story telling handicap) how initially O'Brien can't stand Bashir and by the ends they're totally just pounding each other.

Like in story telling or more modern shows it's really not such a big triumph that "characters grow and show progression" but in scifi it's a miracle when you see it in something like DS9 or Babylon 5, unfortunately

Excuse me, but he loves his wife. :colbert:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MrSlam posted:

The technology of the 24th century has improved to the point that we no longer feel sexually repulsed by our spouses as a species. No longer are men forced by their wives to seek the attentions of their comely buxom secretaries. Petty things like divorce, alimony payments, and adultery have become a thing of the past. -Gene Roddenberry

Polaski has three ex husbands.

:goonsay:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

bing_commander posted:

How come Quark just shows up like everything's normal after Little Green Men? Do Bajorans go from accusation to acquittal in only a week?

Remember that time Garak nearly genocided a planet, as well the ship he was on, then got six months for it?

Dicky mouse posted:

There is that episode where seven finds the three remaining slackers on voyager. Some bejoran who clearly was in over her head, a hypochondriac, and some smart guy who just wants to hide down in the engine and work on his big bang theories.

So of course when janeway see's 3 slacker have slipped through the cracks rather than go "well they may be slacker but they aint dead."

So of course she has to take the 3 of them on an away mission in that delta flyer to....well do something.

What stands out to me is that Jane way kept showing a high level of star trek physics knowledge.

Oh a character with 5 high level degrees who spends all day hiding in the ship working on his theories, and jane way just waltz in and shows him up? Then later he dies......oh god she is truly a monster.

Janeway's backstory was supposed to be scientist. Which leads to ship command, somehow. This was one of the maybe three times the show remembered this fact.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Actually the end of BSG is really good and makes perfect sense and RDM's religion and metaphysical philosophy is great, let me explain it to you. First *disappears as the camera cuts away*

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Dicky mouse posted:

she has daddy issues

It's okay, like half of them do.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Baronjutter posted:

I tried to watch this show, got through the first episode but the writing was 90's as gently caress. All the characters are just the worst most lovely dated cliches imaginable and I want them all to die. My wife specially hated it and I could barely hear the show over her mocking of every character.

"Oh I'm a mysterious stoic asian, so obviously I use swords! I am honourable samurai! Asians use swords!"
"I'm the strong female protagonist! Don't mess with me because I'm strong and cool and always level headed! Also I'm beating the poo poo out of this confused guy in the first scene in the first episode just to establish how tough and powerful I am"
"I'm the 90's hacker girl! Am I autistic or just a special snowflake? One thing's for sure, I'm straight out of a 80's or 90's show about teen hackers and nerds. I'm probably going to rollerblade around the ship"
"I'm the pointlessly adversarial rear end in a top hat!!!"
"beep boop I'm the sexy android beep. I'm lady Data! What is human friendship beep does not compute beep seriously this character was written in 2015 not 1980 somehow!"

It's like someone made a parody of 90's lovely Canadian scify. The writing and characters feel 20 years or more out of date it's such absolute garbage, it's barely a step above Andromeda but feels like it came out at the same time or earlier, like it ran back to back with Tek War.

It sounds like watching voyager with your wife is much better than watching voyager any other way, tbh.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Sanctuary is stupid and that dumb race is stupid and the Bajorans did nothing wrong (in this episode at least. Maybe only in this episode ever). Just like the Maquis, it could have made sense in a different setting, but in post scarcity star trek it's just absurd.

"We're farmers and all we want is a place to farm, please let millions of us come live on your planet"
"Uh, you know there are literally thousands of worlds right?"
"No! Your planet is extra special because superstition. Asking us to go to an equally good planet somewhere else is cruel!"
"Look, we're going to hook you up with another great planet. Enjoy your new life that will be identical to what you would have had here."
"Stop oppressing us!"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Because it's actually a great episode showing how the Bajorans are loving terrible, and the Federation ain't the paradise they brag about it being. It's one of the first times in the franchise where a first contact goes extremely poorly and the incident isn't resolved peacefully in the end.

Except that's exactly how it ended, and uppity farm aliens live in post scarcity bliss and want for nothing like the rest of the federation. Too bad about their religious nonsense I guess.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
O'Brien is from a different timeline anyways. Prime O'Brien died of time-radiation.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Fojar38 posted:

Oh good so right when both Wynn and Dukat are beginning to exhibit signs of character growth they ruin both apparently

Not at all, both characters had several great seasons of character growth before it went to hell in the final arc.

Never forgot space pirate Dukat, the best Dukat.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Baronjutter posted:

One of the reasons Dukat got cartoony evil was because of the studio. They were really upset that people were sympathizing and liking Dukat and were mad at the writers humanizing him and making him charismatic. He's an evil nazi and needs to be evil all the time. You can't possibly show the dangers of an evil but charismatic leader.

Studios are like toddlers who must constantly be saved from killing themselves. Earlier in the series they were going to have Kira eventually fall for Dukat, until Nana Visitor is like "If you have the holocaust survivor fall in love with the slimy nazi camp commander, I will walk out on this show" so they didn't do it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The fact that he was a 3 dimensional character with at least some sympathetic motivations beyond twirling his mustache and eating babies is what made him such a great villain.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was genuinely surprised to see an actual premature reference to The Year of Hell though. Given it's ST:Voyager, I'm guessing at the time it was written they were trawling for plot and went "gently caress it, that sounds good".

The Year of Hell was originally going to be a season long arc that depicted what Voyager should have been in the first place. But then someone remembered that Voyager is loving garbage and any real continuity or interesting writing isn't allowed, so they made it a two parter with a literal reset button at the end.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The reason they can't do anything in the future is they crippled the universe with a bullshit MMO, which is where franchises go to die.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Weirdly enough O'Brian. I guess potato have good fathers

He turned the tables by kidnapping his daughter and forcing her through a time portal to terra nova.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tighclops posted:

The cut to her knowing sideways glance at Riker when he says he's going to use the ramscoops to collect flammable gasses from the nebula and "shove it down the Sona's throats" is made all the more awesome when you realize it was Frakes who directed the movie

Haha, Frakes directed it? And he still did the infamous commentary where he gets smashed with Sirtis and they poo poo on the movie for an hour and a half?

:riker:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

FuturePastNow posted:

does Rick Berman know/understand that a large swath of Trekkies hate him

They don't though. DS9 is the least popular Trek and everyone loves the poo poo out of the bland garbage that was Voyager. People are terrible and they deserve what they get.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
:swoon: Rene :swoon:

Odo makes this solid a little more solid. Would happily accept a goo massage.

Oh, the other two are aging well too I guess.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well he's also a control freak in charge of postwar Vegas. At least he got shot in The Patriot before he could ruin anyone's day.

I didn't recognize Rene as Mr. House until my second playthrough. The first time I sided with House so he was nice to me, but the second time, as soon as he started grumping, that's when I recognized Odo.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They need a ready supply of high-quality lubes on hand to keep up with Rikers voracious appetite for sandy space-vag.

That was only for the Pulaski season.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's a good show that's worth watching at least once. Goons poo poo all over it now because of 1) the flawed final season and 2) the overt religious themes and plot points in the last season that goons claim were unexpected, even though the show made no attempt to hide them in the previous seasons.

Just watch it without any expectations.

This is lazy and dumb and wrong. It's not that there were religious themes. You can have religious themes without having a dozen glaring plotholes and ending your story with 'cause god did it the end'

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my favorite messily-aborted plot to poo poo on from BSG was that weird "resurrection virus" they did for, what, two or three episodes?

so the cylons run into this space probe supposedly from the 13th colony/tribe, and not only does it make them sick and kills them, but the sickness follows them through resurrection

they freak out and run the gently caress away from the infected ship, which is then found by the colonials who figure out what the gently caress is going on, and roslin decides this can be used to retaliate against the cylons and maybe get them off humanity's back at least for a while, if not permanently

(keeping in mind the cylons are all still trying to exterminate humanity and there is no reason to think that they won't eventually succeed given their technology and still-functioning industrial support base)

well, the writers' second-favorite character big ol' chisel-jawed hero Helo doesn't like this one bit. it ain't right. so he takes it upon himself to sabotage the attack plan, which is transparently contrived to allow it to be sabotaged in a way that has no consequences for any of our main cast.

the plan calls for galactica to jump back and basically throw down the gauntlet to the nearest cylon battle formation it can find, trying to goad a resurrection ship into being near enough. after the cylons jump in, galactica's crew is to execute the infected cylons, transmitting the resurrection virus back to the resurrection ship, which will then hopefully spread it to much of cylon society.

here's the contrived part: rather than having the cylons bound and gagged (or even just straight-up under sedation) with guns pointed at their heads ready to shoot the moment that big ol' resurrection ship is spotted, the sequence instead is:

• galactica jumps in, waits for cylons to show up
  • cylon scout raiders show up
  • cylon basestars and resurrection ship show up
  • okay now it's time to have Apollo and friends start walking halfway across the ship to go murder the cylons, rather than just have someone in the room

but it's important nobody's in the room with them, because helo scuttles the plan by sabotaging the environmental controls so as to pump all the air out of the room the cylons are being held in, killing them before the resurrection ship shows up

but because no humans got hurt in the process, the writers feel free to just sweep literal treason under the rug. no big deal

that to me was one of the bigger betrayals of the series premise. the show got sold to us as being unafraid of dealing with consequences, and they ran away from that one big time

The entire TV IV thread loved to defend Helo and condemn the evil selfish humans who were barely holding off extinction, but you're right. The way cylon civilization worked, there were no innocents, no contentious objectors, every cylon was complicit in committing genocide and was actively working towards finishing the job and they should have been all wiped out. They tried and totally forgot a bunch of plotlines in S3 like that. Remember the ace pilot who escaped from cylon prison and made his way all the way to the fleet by himself in a stolen ship, just so he could join the cast and then never once get mentioned again?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This discussion started with someone saying the Galactica and Pegasus were both purely functional and not pretty. From that point on, the discussion was entirely invalid. Both those ships eclipse anything in Star Trek aesthetically.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MA-Horus posted:

Galactica doesn't even have her outer hull plating complete and can still take multiple nukes.

That's a boat.

Galactica only took a single nuke in the opening movie, and it caused serious damage. That's why the second museum pod was crippled and never worked during the show (certainly not for extra CGI to make ships land in both pods :v: ), not to mention several explosive decompressions, and venting a big part of the ship to put out fires. They lost like 60 crewmen or something.

Blistex posted:

Probably just re-using the CGI model for Galactica and assuming nobody will sperg out about this like we currently are.

I'm sure they know better than that. They just correctly assumed it didn't matter.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mods please change my name to Harry Kim's Intestines.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

criscodisco posted:

I find it the most strange that apparently he was at a high school drinking party

He asked one of the girls there to pray with him and feel the love of the pah wraiths but then the cops showed up and he bailed.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MrSlam posted:

There's ferengi in the back sweating and crunching numbers on an abacus. "Do they really need to talk? If we combine the stunt role with a speaking part do we have to pay them more? Do phasers count as a stunt shot? Can we just shoot them with a phaser?"

:rolleyes:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think it was in Data's day, he was telling his girlfriend about how he can eat but prefers to drink lube.

Dicky mouse posted:

The one time the techobabble worked was that klingon civil two parter they were trying to catch the romulans crossing the boarder. They played up the tension and strategy.

"we have a net that will catch them"

"poo poo they have a net that will catch us, find a way to beat it"

"they arent going for it fake an opening"

"Sir they have an opening....No its a trap use that counter messure we came up with"

*Data does what he does best*

Basically it didnt feel like they were casting magic spells.

That scene had the second laziest sci fi writing though; artificial tension/drama because Data can't spend 2 seconds explaining his plan to that uppity first officer or at least that he has a plan. Instead he lets the guy think that he's gonna irradiate half the ship and have a dramatic 'carry out my orders or I will find someone who can!' line, when he could have been like 'I got this, they're going to be fine, now do the thing.'

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That dude a ~*~terraformer~*~ which apparently is the most exciting, rewarding, rock starrish job in the whole galaxy. For 44 minutes at least. For single handedly saving a planet some culture gave him an indentured wife, but surprise that race mates for life and despite his bravado he feels kinda bad that his hot wife is miserable and stuck with him forever. Also she's physic so she forms a new personality while she's asleep that that personality goes off to bang Sisko. So to go out in a blaze of glory he flies a shuttle into a star to reboot it while also freeing his hot wife so she can go home and not be miserable anymore.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's a super forgettable episode, and I guess I got a lot of the details wrong. She was just a dignitary's daughter who got infatuated apparently, but still ended up stuck in a life long relationship that made her unhappy.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Second_Sight_(episode)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Because Wang was an arrogant, pot-headed knob behind the scenes, so the writers punished him by making his character an ineffectual little wiener.

Was the entire cast arrogant, pot-headed knobs behind the scenes then?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
My point is the made all the characters poo poo, not just Harry Kim. Were they punishing all the actors?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The thing that annoys me about Dr Who fans is you can't mention the show without some grognard chiming in to tell you all about how the radio plays from the 40s or whatever were actually the best, and here listen to the mp3s that were ripped directly from a gramophone or some poo poo.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

shadow puppet of a posted:

"Hey Ben, I'm back from killing a whole lot of people who were simply working on paid guard duty. No, for the most part they weren't Klingon themselves so the highly convenient Federation rules around blood debts wouldn't really apply . No I don't recall what race they were, sort of a mixed bag of people I killed in cold blood. Anyway, anything fun happen here while I was gone?

That was a fun episode and you're not fun.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If I were a trill, I would live the only acceptable trill lifestyle, I'd go be a robber baron mine owner on some remote planet with a big house on a cliff face and have occasional dealings with the space mafia.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

J'AM-BA'H-LAY'AH

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > STAR TREK: J'AM-BA'H-LAY'AH

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I am three years old now and I can date whoever I want!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
People who accept jobs as murder guards for a child killing fugitive of the klingon empire are people too guys! Just because your boss has several enemies who have made blood oaths to kill him doesn't mean you shouldn't expect a safe and positive work environment. Klingon OSHA will hear of this.