Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I remain confused they did all that stuff with Seven and the Borg in season 1... and then in season 2 decided to dump the Borg Queen plotline on Jurati instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

probably when youtube kicks you out

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Riker doesn't use condoms. He's been declared a galactic health hazard from his exotic melange of unkillable space STDs, so he has to use a level 2 containment field.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Beeftweeter posted:

that's also true, but i think the mirror universe phasers were intended to be something like the previously discussed fajo disruptor (i.e. just a brutally savage weapon)

the martok changeling absorbs several dozen klingon disruptor hits, though, before he gets got. the ambassador changeling has to be killed by the defiant's loving warp core, and even that takes an agonizingly long time

in short these new changelings are scrub-tier

I guess you could memory beta some headcanon that changelings get incredibly fuckin hard to kill as they get older. MirrorOdo gets blasted cuz he's a youngin' and doesn't know how to disperse phaser energy.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

post-scarcity is an unfortunate phrase, it always causes these 'well resources aren't *actually* unlimited' arguments.

i like to think of it as like, post-money as an organizing principle. A million people are trying to score one of Sisko's restaraunt 10 tables every single night. You can show up with 100 million bars of gold pressed latinum and sisko dgaf, he doesn't want a moon - he wants to run a restaraunt and he's living his best life. So how do you score a table? By being someone Sisko wants to meet, or by knowing someone with a connection, or as payment for a favor done previously.

what i'm trying to say is that the Federation is entirely run by nepobabies and tiktok stars

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Parasitic warrior upper class obssessed with their own drama: Today is a good day to die, again! Activate the self destruct! Turn it off! Mandatory batleth practice every hour!

Klingon engineers: we love the warp core, can't we just work on the warp core

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

kind of imagining Brent Spiner walking in and going 'hey your script is wrong, let me just fix it real quick' *just does his own thing*

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ugh

Just realized that its approximately 25 years since TNG started airing (1987)

Really lifts my eyebrow at the 'over 25s aren't affected' bit.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Admiralty Flag posted:

I have some bad news for you about your math. Try 35 (36 in August IIRC).

Hmmmmmmmm.

Well that makes me less sad actually. I thought I broke the code and it was stupid. Instead, I was stupid.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Last Call posted:

The teleporter being used to turn people is a pretty cool idea.

Almost makes you wonder why it wasn't done before in the pod person vein.

wasn't it a Mirror Universe plot at one point?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Locutus is a dumb idea too, what's the point of having a mouthpiece? I don't understand why the Borgs need to talk to anybody, if you want the people of Earth to know what you're thinking just assimilate them all and then bing bong they know what you're thinking.

loss of morale will result in faster surrenders saving drones an average of 25 calories (total) this is 2.1% more energy than it cost to acquire Locutus. Efficiency!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mycomancy posted:

Series: DS9
Episode: Take Me Out To The Holosuite
Context: the ops crew of DS9 is learning how to intimidate the batter at the plate with chatter.

Everyone else: Heyyyyy batter batterbatter SWING batterbatter
Worf: DEATH TO THE OPPOSITION

It is a good day to fly!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

naem posted:

star trek routinely assuming all Irish people are heathen bog cavemen somehow

Just going with the priors of their middle class audience.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't need any TNG crew.

A show with Seven, Crash, that Chef, Jack, Elnor, and Raffi on the G would be pretty cool though.

I actually like Raffi I just hate everything they e done with her, I would like to see her on a starship and not under distress from her lovely family ostracizing her.

i thought she was the lovely one in her family

she's like the fox news grandpa viewpoint character. family doesn't want to deal with her, addicted to opiates, obsessed with conspiracy theories, would rather watch Hannity than do anything with her kid

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

MikeJF posted:

One of the Risian luxury ships in STO has wood accents on the outside

What, you never heard of Space Trees?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

a lot of people liked the first 4 episodes, could try those

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a setting where the us military are collectively dedicated, principled, intelligent competent, and heroic. anything goes in funhouse mirror world.

Nono, just the air force

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

VectorSigma posted:

baseball might actually be interesting with lunar gravity
the nearside team bats the ball over the horizon to the far side team, who then bats it back.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I like the implication that the Klingon Empire is a victim of its own imperialism, with the warrior class basically metastasizing out of control thanks to the wealth brought by conquest and looting.

Craig K posted:

wasn't there an episode where a different race, i want to say cardassian, was complaining about the overreliance on redundancy in starfleet systems?

IIRC

"What is all this clutter? I can't access the primary system."

O'Brien: "Oh, that's the secondary backup."

"...... The *secondary* backup?"

O'Brien: "...yeah?? You can never have enough backups."

Honestly who knows if its Starfleet policy, or simply O'Brien's personal idea of how to do a spaceship properly after long service on the Enterprise.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah, such a shame

they should have kept the og gorns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SK0cUNMnMM

lol. The bit at the start where Kirk looks at this godzilla motherfucker and then just fuckin tosses his stick away is actually p good.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I didn't need the Gorn to be lumbering rubbermen but I also didn't need them to be predator/xenomorph hybrids.

TOS Gorn are actually just xenomorph Gorn inside a rubber suit.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

SNW is still Nu Trek. It's mostly the same people. It just doesn't have the spectre of sweeping season long plots hanging over it that has the writers constantly coming up with galaxy-destroying threats.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

UPN made one, it was called Mercy Point and it got cancelled after 3 episodes

Episode 1: A computer virus has begun to affect humans
Episode 3: "An experimental surgery on an influential man's dying son that requires an ill alien to be sacrificed for his blood"

Also featuring ANI, the android nurse, who was so efficient and attractive all the other nurses were jealous

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 12, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Honestly the new SNW episode could have been a two parter or a little longer. It resolves very quickly.

The 'Stealing the Enterprise' subplot was unnecessary and seemingly didn't leave the mining camp plot enough time to develop.

I suspect they had some things they wanted to achieve from the episode - Spock having a dilemma of choosing between his duty and Chapel, introducing Pelia - developed concepts for each, and worked backwards from there.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Who was the Klingon captain at the end of the SNW episode? I absolutely suck at recognising people in heavy makeup.

Don't you remember him from My Little Pony?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

There are actually many crime planets in the galaxy, each with their own colorful culture (and colorful atmosphere from all the drugs)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

before any species or colony is allowed to join the federation, one member is first subjected to a transwarp evolution test. if they evolve into a salamander, the application is approved. if there's too much genetic engineering, they tend to evolve into different random animals which is UNACCEPTABLE.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

STAR TREK: What does the goat see?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So is SNW shaping up to be ok? I didn't really like the first ep of S2 at all. Felt like a load of stuff from Discovery (i assume? everyone is suddenly a veteran of the "klingon wars"?? and pumping up with super soldier serum??) and had like feel of random poo poo just happening for no reason.

I like S2E2 a lot better than E1. Same thing happened for me in SNW S1.

E2 has a dumb premise, but it executes that premise very well. So...strong TOS energy.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

After 3 seasons of SNW M'Benga will get censured for the weird daughter thing, the distribution of incredibly illegal combat stimulants, and five years of medical war crimes. This is only slightly worse than average for a Starfleet doctor, so he just loses about 10 years of seniority or so.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

it's good, but also dumb

A land of contrasts

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

davidspackage posted:

Go Stem Bolts! Wooo!

Their mascot is a stem bolt.

Perenially bottom of the league, because their bases are self stealing.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

redshirt posted:

Also, LOL if Section 31 is just this "rogue agency" I don't like what they do but what can we do about it? They are rogue!

How *does* one cut funding when one doesn't believe in funding?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

a society smart enough to figure out antimatter bombs from watching ufos fly around, but too dumb to invent a-bombs

honestly S1E1 had strong pilot energy, its probably not a good standard to judge SNW on either way. It might actually be best compared to "A Piece of the Action" in terms of plot....

I like the rest of S1 a lot better.

Stargate SG-1 did the 'locals gaining power with offworld tech or potentially so' plot a bunch of times and i think all of them were better than S1E1. Well, most of them.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 20, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I imagine an Admiral's day is largely at a desk with a bottle of Romulan Ale just out of camera of the desk terminal. Just read a report, take a deep sigh and stiff drink, tell the offending Captain in question not to violate the Prime Directive doing something noble, and repeat. And that's their entire week, with the occasional meeting with their other Admirals to compare horror stories from the reports they reviewed.
I figure admiraling is pretty high stress. A perpetual reality-tv hellworld of tracking which captain is banging which, who is who's ex, who is going to cover up for Ys warcrimes if you assign them together, etc.

sometimes you get together to celebrate that only 15% of Vulcan officers were Romulan spies this year

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the real issue is that the Klingons are like "You call THIS a Bat'leth?" and everyone's like 'No it's a bat it's differ-' and then they slice the bat in two. like, every single time.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

GolfHole posted:

Excuse me... I'd just like to ask a question. What does God need with a shortstop...?

What Does God Need with a Shortstop?

The Rise and Fall of the Interstellar League

Third Edition, Annotated and Revised

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

Get him one of those "Do Not Worship" stickers that they slapped onto Landru.

Mandatory DO NOT WORSHIP uniform shirts for away teams

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I don't think SNW is obsessed with Trek. Obsessed with Spock maybe, lol.

My view is that SNW and classic Trek take fundamentally different approaches to constructing their stories. In classic trek, the characters are a lens through which we experience the plot. In SNW, the plot is a vehicle through which we experienced the characters.

SNW's approach isn't intrinsically bad. The classic trek approach has its weaknesses - it's how we end up with Worf's nonexistent relationship with Alexander, or Janeway's inconsistent characterization. And clearly a lot of people have connected with the SNW cast and are therefore happy to have More Cast Content. But IMO SNW's character-first approach has left its plots generally confusing, weak, or abbreviated - to me, this has felt particularly noticeable in Season 2. And I do think classic Trek's approach is better in the long run for making compelling TV and even for making compelling characters.

In the given example of Operation: Annihilate, Spock being a potential casualty is used to lend direct emotional weight to the unacceptable scenario of sterilizing the world to stop the parasite. The plots the important bit and the character is serving it. But this is also an opportunity for characterization and this is an episode that capitalizes on that.

The difference in season length may play a part as well. When you have a lot of episodes, that's a lot of opportunities for the characters to find a plot they really shine in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Which is hilarious because Colin Trevorrow of all people somehow did: You make Kylo Ren the main bad guy because he's the more interesting character than the empty bathrobe of IOU notes he succeeded.

You can't make Kylo Ren the main bad guy because then he becomes responsible for his own actions which makes him harder to redeem.

e: which is to say nu trek hosed up Cumberkhan *nod*

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 16, 2023