Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

I don’t think that’s the case in Trials and Tribblelations. The Fed time cops got involved with that one after all.

I'm assuming the time cops wouldn't even bother tying to fix any time created shenanigans done by q's/god tier beings, due to well where would you even start other than writing them a letter saying 'oh hey could you maybe fix this?" and hoping for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hellblazer187 posted:

It was also just a false dilemma in the first place. Recreate the transporter mistake that creates Thomas Riker. Then you have Tuvix, Neeliz, and Tuvok. Then I suppose you have to acknowledge that the transporters can work as human being printers if you arrange the buffer memory correctly. And they don't want to acknowledge that.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Kirk get's duplicated into a good and evil version.

So from this I'm getting that transporters are printers and instead of Red Green Blue dot values, people are printed out using Good, Evil dot values.

BUT WHAT IF THE TRANSPORTER RUNS OUT OF GOOD PRINTER INK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Star Trek is about Treking in the stars you dweebies.

Although no ones staying at youth hostels in it so maybe even star trek doesn't know what star trek is about.

Wait is the enterprise a mobile youth hostel? ...that would explain a bit.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dabir posted:

It wasn't arbitrary. The ship was going into a possible war situation.

And he actually explained clearly to his staff the exact reason for the changes he was making, heard out objection, and just generally seemed to make a big effort to always keep them in the loop about everything he was doing and why. Other than maybe the schedule changes -and were not given enough information to know if it was or not- everything he did was a pretty straight forward good call.

Honestly as far as onscreen starfleet captain goes, he's up there with the best (although yeah, not a terribly high bar).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah same

drat if only real life adults had the same level of maturity and communicative skills as the alien warrior guy and the funny robot man

True, I would hope that real life adults do less communication through randomly stabbing their friends in elevators though.
In short data communication style has it's pros and cons.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CainFortea posted:

Even then he was saving her from a multiphasic alien organism.

I stand by my mature adult don't out of nowhere just stab their friends in elevators.

Yes this is a hill I'm willing to die on.

by being randomly stabbed by data when he goes on the fritz again.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cage Kicker posted:

Data is a senior officer and if he wants to stab a space alien that's on you he doesn't have to explain himself

Do you want maquis? This is how you get maquis. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
If Prodigy doesn't have proper crazy Janeway they're doing something wrong. Having a bunch of students learn federation ethics via crazy Janeway would be amazing.

Out of coffee, sure change the timeline so the nearest planets ecosystem is now just 99% coffee plants. I mean why not.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The Janeway hologram will be similar to her but not the same person. The Doctor isn't all that much like Zimmerman

Don't care. If you got a Janeway hologram or not, it should be crazy Janeway.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mrs. Dash posted:

I liked the vic episodes and I'll fight anyone who disagrees

Vic would not approve of such wanton violence on his behalf. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

Some people rag on Vic but gently caress you if you don't enjoy It's Only a Paper Moon.

Paper moon is great. Honestly my own problem with Vic is the same as I have with Ezri Dax. They were both introduced right near the end of season 7 and we spent a bunch of time getting introduced to them when they didn't have that much to do with the central plot. Other then paper moon, which was interesting as it was obviously just all about showing how Nog was dealing/not dealing with war trauma and vics importance to the episode was just through that, I mostly felt the two were just taking air from stuff in the show I was more interested in.

Damar worked far better as a character suddenly given a lot of prominence very late in the series, one just because I think he was a far more interesting written character, but also because his character was so naturally involved with the central plot as well as DS9's broader themes. Just a great way to introduce a character really late into a show.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cthulu Carl posted:

I think the best part about Vic Fontaine is the dude who designed a sentient hologram didn't think that was good enough and decided to throw in a randomly triggered hostile mob takeover.

I mean pretty much any holo program could be improved by randomly triggered hostile mob take overs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tiberius Christ posted:

this is why DS9 is superior, his introduction in Way of the Warrior has him beating the crap out of other klingons almost immediately

Yeah but a tribble could beat up a klingon so that's not actually all that impressive. Seriously Klingons get beaten up by randoms all the time.

In wolfs favour though, most of his advice about things like putting up shields when there are obviously aggressive aliens being obviously aggressive at you, was normally pretty solid.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

External Organs posted:

I wish there was more post DS9 Avery Brooks stuff. I'm kind of surprised he never got cast in comic book movies, seems like it would've happened.

Honestly other than Nog, Jake, and Rom I think they they tied all the DS9 characters up pretty well by the end of the series. As we won't be seeing Nog again (:(), myself pretty happy for them to just let be. Of course if Sisko, Kira, Miles or Garak just randomly turned up for a few scene somewhere that would be all cool and good, as they are just great characters and fun to watch, but they all did get good ends to their characters as is.

(having O'Brien cameo as a hollo teacher for engineering cadets on prodigy would actually be pretty neat, as him complaining to all the young cadets about some of the stupider things in star trek engineering would be great.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

How absurd. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to use proper modern technology.

https://i.imgur.com/kXWyoV3.mp4

Wait are they just making keyboards just for people to use when stoned/tripping now?

Oh what a brilliant future utopia it is in which we live!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Bah! Back in my day the only reason your keyboard glowed was due to all the radium in them to keep your fingers young and healthy, and that's the way I like it!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Endless Trash posted:

New Zealand became a state of Australia in the 2025 War of Reunification

New Zealand originally had been in talks to become a state of Australia when it federated. Comparing the current Aussie government to the Kiwi one, probably would of been better if it had, happened but the other way around.

May the sun never set on the glorious United New Zealand empire that could of been!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Danaru posted:

There once was a woman from venus
Who's body was shaped like a :spock:

Vulcans aren't from Venus.

...this sounds like lies to me.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

betaraywil posted:

I was going to say "yeah and remember when they used to just hire established sci-fi writers like Harlan Ellison and Peter Beagle? Get NK Jemison or whoever in there," but then I remembered about Picard.

It would still work really well for something like Strange New Worlds where it would be much easier to get in a few established names to come in for just one episode each. I'm sure there would be plenty of great and interesting ones that would jump at the chance.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Polarised hull plating was based on some fancy-schmancy new materials the US army was researching at the time where when exposed to a polarised EM field they'd become a bunch tougher.

Should of just exposed them to cosmic rays instead. That poo poo stright up gives stuff superpowers.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

buffer time isn't necessary when you have a sane boss who is actually capable of communication, respect and understanding the concept of linear time. so, geordi was fine with simply giving accurate estimates on tng. it often doesn't work so well in real life. or, i suppose, on the cerritos, because that captain is an idiot and not in a comically exaggerated way.

Yep, when I had a good boss, who I would just give what I thought it would take and what I thought it would take if the task turned out to be an unexpected problematic one. She'd plan things as if the 1st may happen but the 2nd was still extremely possible. Projects ran pretty smoothly under her.

Needing to lie about buffer time means a bad boss who doesn't really understand what the difference in amount of time a similar task can be depending on if issues crop up or not. A good boss know how to plan for/be flexible/work around that sort of stuff so you can just talk to them properly about it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Applewhite posted:

Unfortunately 98%of bosses are bad bosses

This is true. Some industries I'd put it at pretty much 100%.

Edit: Some types of not-for-profits/community orgs actually have quite a few good boss, but there is still quite a few incredibly bad/lovely ones out there. Particularly in the larger more corporate ones, but smaller ones are certainly not immune.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 10, 2021

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Endless Trash posted:

Whichever Lee sister came up with the title “Bar Association” for that episode must’ve felt pretty good about themselves. Probably pretty smug for at least an afternoon

And rightly so. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A reminder again that that aired primetime.

With a wooden rocket, duh!

Being they were wood fired wooden rocket, it was incredibly efficient, as you could just break off pieces of the rocket to power itself as you go.

Modern rockets could only dream of that kind of efficiency!

Glory to bajor!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Applewhite posted:

Axis has the best tanks.

That being said I will look at you askance if you're on of those guys who always plays Axis and has an iron cross as your avatar and a bunch of Rommel quotes in your profile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiLVAz-Jczg

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghostlight posted:

the mods could not give a fork

Oh don't pretend, we are 100% not in the good place.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Peanut Hamper doesn't want to be abandoned in space, but is abandoned in space

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

External Organs posted:

This week on Star Trek: What If: What if Doctor Soong had created Bender instead of Data?

Pretty sure if bender had been on tng he would of gone evil and tried to kill everyone less times then data.

Cos you know he's already evil, but also really lazy. So probably would of just spent the whole time between the holodeck and the bar.

Although most likely would of jumped ship to hang out with the first TOS style random evil computer enslaving humanity they encountered.

More realistically never would of joined starfleet.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

He wouldn't have joined starfleet, but there are plenty of non-uniformed service workers on the Enterprise. He could have worked in 10-forward. Why? To get a lift to a better planet, or away from a planet where he was no longer welcome.

True, and he could of easily taken over Guinan's job of being a better counselor then Troi

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

feedmegin posted:

That's 1/10th of the distance from here to the Moon, so not actually huge in cosmic terms.

Your not so huge on cosmic terms :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cthulu Carl posted:

But your mom is.

How did you know my mum is the Tarantula Nebula!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

The main thing to remember about Threshold is that the writer also wrote the screenplay for In the Mouth of Madness

I... wait... I refuse to believe that. Was his script like massively re-written, to take out all the awesome elder gods stuff seen in warp 10 or something?

Is a new take on innsmouth, I guess.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

uh, that's an odd take. he wrote a screenplay. that doesn't somehow mean he is lovecraft himself.

Pretty sure that's exactly how screenplay writing work. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CainFortea posted:

Does that picard trailer seem like it's claiming q created the mirror universe?

Seems like. Solution is obviously just to find Sisko and get him to punch q in the face until he undoes it.

They probably won't go with that though. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CainFortea posted:

No, not really. Replicators create stuff using a digital stored signal. Transporters move stuff after converting it to charged particles, writing it's pattern on the particle stream as an analogue signal, and put it all back together later.

They use some of the same parts, for example on the Ent-D those units in people's quarters weren't replicators. They were just head units. The actual replicators were down in engineering, and waveguides took the pattern to where it was requested and then formed there. Oh and the phase coils.

Lot of words just to say leprechaun magic

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

chaosbreather posted:

Um, actually, replicators use a matter store, a slurry that represents a kind of economic brachistochrone. You take a poo poo or bin your lovely omelette, that poo poo is torn apart and stored in the ship's matter stores, and depending on the replicator or toilet in question, physically piped in. It contains stuff in proportions that represent the most efficient decomposition for most likely composition. This goo is reconfigured and assembled four-dimensionally in a subspace bubble using very short range, very low resolution transporter technology and matter-discriminating forcefields that work like filters, according to a pattern. That pattern has limited resolution; if your fresh Italian gelato is an original Botticelli, the replicator's version is a paint-by-numbers, or in very rare circumstances, a grainy jpeg. Most food is pretty low-entropy in the grand scales - it doesn't really matter where the gluten molecules are and what direction they face in your panini but when you add it all up together it does have a noticeably different taste. Having a replicator that is much higher resolution than ordinarily required, or a pattern that is both extremely high resolution and well-tuned to the replicator and matter store can result in noticeably improved performance.

Lol You probably buy the gold plated audio cables because you "can hear the difference". Regular replicator food is just as good as "normal food".

Just eat your drat twinkie. room temperature. and shhh.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Automatic Slim posted:

Goerdie “QuickTime” LaForge
Which begs the question, why do Starfleet officers gain weight when you can just compare the pattern and uh, “redistribute” the excess to the mass replicator cache.

With how advanced Starfleets science is there should be like dozens of ways to get people to a healthy weight trivially. So I guess if someone in starfleet is carrying a few extra ponds it's because they want to?

Should be plenty of ways to counter any negative healthy related issues, so at that point it's pretty much an aesthetic choice.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 28, 2021

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

sweet geek swag posted:

I think they both suck.

Oh they are both absolutely terrible, but I agree with this, somehow Bezos manages to be even more absolutely terrible.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Nah, they just hide in caves with piles of hoarded gold, while cackling evilly at any adventures who pass.

So pretty much just reverting back to how they were in tng I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

punishedkissinger posted:

they just added a ton of greebles to the ferengi design i guess

Should of just done a simple kit bash.