Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Borderlands is good though. :colbert:

I could never get into Borderlands. Because of that, I knew right off hand that Battleborn wouldn't be my thing.

On top of that, Battleborn looks ugly as all loving hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

3 1/2 more hours people.

TIME TO EAT
TIME TO SLEEP

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Lant posted:

Don't stack them very close, lots of guns and abilitys can take out many turrets at once if they're bunched up together (Lucio can M2 that doorframe you planted all 6 on and kill them in one shot for instance). Also think of them as throw-away things or early detection systems and spread them out all over.

Definitely this. I normally don't stack more than 2 to any location, and even though I use the word stack, I place each a decent distance away from one another to prevent them blowing up in one shot. For instance, if I want to put a couple to cut off a flanking doorway, I'll place one above the actual doorway and another at about waist-height to the left or right of the door.

On another note: Something odd happened today and I don't know if it was a fluke or not. While charging Symmetra's M2, I walked into an enemy widow and she died? Does touching someone with the orb while it's charging do damage? I haven't had time to test it out, but it seemed like that's what happened as I hadn't released her M2 yet and it counted as a solo kill.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

This game really needs a rogue-like character.

Nothing would make people rage more. Stealth Camo defensive assassin that when they move around in stealth, they are partly visible only via a small glimmer, much like in Heroes of the Storm.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

maybe i'm just a hosed up psychogamer, but i dont think "make players rage/be angry/dislike playing the video game" is a laudable design goal

It was for Mei.

All joking aside - I think a stealth character could work in this. Some sort of character with a chameleon reference - standing close to walls blends you in with the wall textures. I think it would be pretty sweet to have a chameleon like omnic type character.

Edit: I want more omnics. I've also been thinking some sort of spider designed evil omnic would be awesome. It's movement ability could be to not just walk up walls, but ceilings as well. Think of Azmodan as a reference for design - multi legged omnic who walks on walls and cealings, shooting lasers and what have you.

Caeks fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 17, 2016

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Rocketlex posted:

Blizzard has said interviews that they've experimented with stealth characters and they aren't particularly fun for anyone involved. Sneaking up behind people in Overwatch is achieved via teleportation abilities.

If you really want invisibility, how about a support character who can temporarily make allies invisible? That feels closer to the Overwatch ethos.

Chameleon Support Omnic who is invisible when against walls. Drops mini chameons (much like symmetra turrets) that instead of doing damage, heal for a small portion. His/Her/It's M1 could be a small range poison dart gun that while not doing a lot of damage initially, applies a small stacking poison. Each additional time a target is hit, the poison damage increases in duration, but does not increase in damage.

Ultimate Ability could be a smoke screen. Plume of green smoke fills the target area, disrupting the sight of all enemy targets. However, enemies that enter the smoke screen can be seen by the chameleon/all allies.

Edit: Or instead of automatically seeing all enemies in the smoke screen, the chameleon's DOT M1 attack that applies poison reveals the target for the duration of the poison. Think Widow's Vision or Hanzo's Sonic Arrow, but applied on a much smaller scale. This way the ult and his primary fire would work in unison. Poison targets, apply smoke screen ult, allies can see the poisoned targets in the smoke screen.

Smoke Screen would be a direct counter to things that auto lock on, and provides line of sight while not blocking AOE.

Counters: Mcree and 76 Ults
Weak to: Anyone with aoe

Caeks fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 17, 2016

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

As for a D.Va buff, one thing that might be nice is if her boost ran on a fuel gauge like Pharah, or could be stacked like Tracer's blinks. That way, if she closes in on a sniper, she'd have another boost in the tank instantly, rather than 5 seconds later, to chase them when they start running.

I actually posted something like this on the official forums:

A heat gauge for D.Va's boosters/defense shields (think Rumble from League).

Using D.Va's boosters or her defense shield cause her to gain heat. She can do a combination of things: A long lasting defense shield, a long lasting boost, or the current duration of the boost and shield combined. Neither of these abilities would have a cooldown.

IF D.Va's heat gauge fills, it causes her mech to Overheat for a few seconds, disabling her Booster and Shield abilities but increasing the damage of her M1.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

flatluigi posted:

Ana's hero page is up for the US region https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/ana/

Quick note about the hero page: When you watch the clips, each clip ends with a static tv blurred image of the original photo we thought was Sombra (the masked one)

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Calling it now - Sombra is an omnic.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Literally all I care about :toot:

You know how I was talking about Sombra being an omnic?

What if Sombra is that white Omnice just behind Winston and Tracer?

Everyone is saying Ana fits the profile of the image found in El Dorado - however, the legs on the image in El Dorado look like an omnics, and it would make sense to keep her cloaked if it's an Omnic in hiding. Protocol: Sombra would make sense, too, if it's referring to "turning on" a defensive Omnic in response to whatever the gently caress is going on.

Also, you can't see the arms in the image of Sombra in El Dorado, either.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Chiming in to say: Blizzard needs to hop on Terry Crews offering himself up to voice Doomfist. God drat, this would rock.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

Wait, what.

WHAT?!

Terry Crews posted in the Overwatch Reddit about wanting to voice Doomfist (He plays Overwatch, and he has been keeping up with all the Doomfist propaganda splattered through the game). Dude would be amazing and Blizzard would be fools to miss out on the opportunity.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

Interesting =! Good. Plus popping Rein's shield is pretty easy, there's tons of damage being thrown around and my experience is that Dva is better at absorbing incoming damage now. Being unable to control the barrier limits it's utility honestly, it's almost exclusively useful for rushing a choke or blocking a Dva ult (when timed and spaced really well). Otherwise it's very meh, kind of on par with Sombra hacking players.

Since you brought up Rein too - it's hilarious walking into a point with a Rein shield up then when his shield breaks firing off a secondary shield, or even vice versa.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

It's better to do this the other way around, since the shield moves in a set direction and allows you to bust the choke quicker, while retaining Reins overall stronger shield for the point.

Most definitely - I played a game tonight in which me and the Reinhardt tried this. I used shield, we all went in, once the shield went out of range he popped his up. Then, when his broke, I shielded again. Anubis B point was hilarious to take so quickly. With coordination, and specially in the hands of some pro teams - I think (and hope) Symmetra makes an offense showing. Edit forgot the most hilarious part - once his Rein's shield broke and I followed it up with mine, our Rein was then swinging away while following my shield into the enemy. It was so goddamn hilarious to see - it was like watching a Rein use a shield and attack at the same time.

Also, adding this in - While we pushed up, we had a Genji constantly try to flank us. I was placing turrets all along our back side as / to our sides we moved forward, and he was getting FRUSTRATED as his flanking attempts were disrupted.

Caeks fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 23, 2016

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Sombra talk: I played a shitton more with her last night in Quickplay, and now that I've gotten use to her playstyle a bit, I think she's fantastic. Sure, they could push her damage up a nod, but I think the main issue with her is that her whole skillset revolves around even more team communication than you'd need playing anyone else.

I've been playing her as a flanker, doing the whole "hack a healthpack that's of importance, throw down her teleporter, run in and kill one, teleport back, rinse and repeat" thing. One thing I've noticed in all my Sombra games is that the enemy is CONSTANTLY watching their flanks more than when I play any other flanker. There have been times when I've had the entire enemy team pushing a payload, I'd come up from behind and delete a Zen/Mercy/Ana/Lucio, and the entire team would turn toward me to engage. My most successful attempts involved me communicating with my team to push in at the same time as me flanking, enabling either myself to get a bunch of free kills with little pressure, or when the pressure was on me my team would push in and rack up the kills. Several times, a Rein would turn around to shield my shots, only to be melted by my team's front line.

On top of this, she ABSOLUTELY counters Lucio. You save your ult for his, and then completely disable everyone's shields. As far as who Sombra works with well, I'd say she's best paired in a Zarya/Pharrah team. The reason being is - there have been many times, pre Sombra, where you'd pull off the Zrya/Pharrah wombo, only to have the enemy Rein/D.Va block most of the shots. With good communication, Zarya Ult + Sombra hack will COMPLETELY shut down most defenses (I say most because LOL Zenyatta) and enable your team to capitalize on their inability to move/use defensive abilities.

All being said, I've had FAR more success on Defense as Sombra.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

eSporks posted:

Yea, I bet 3 people on team all coordinating Ults together is good. You are correct that being reliant on 2 other people in a specific circumstance makes sombra good.

Yeah of course, but the difference being that Sombra's ult shut's down barriers. Most ult's can be countered, one way or another by other ults or even basic abilities - Outside of Zenyatta, Sombra's ult isn't counterable. Other ults that enable you to shut down or incapacitate a team (Rein, Zarya, Roadhog) can be easily negated by a simple shield, whereas Sombra can't.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Sombra's ult is good in general because it creates a barrel of fish for your team to shoot at. It just allows your team to ult freely without being countered.

This. Her ult is fantastic. The problem I think with her design is that if they buff her just a little bit, I fear she may tread into OPness. I really believe she has to be one of the most worrisome characters to balance for Blizzard in the current roster.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

eSporks posted:

Yea, but this guy is talking about how Sombras it is good because it makes the graviton/justice combo marginally better.

Marginally better? The current problem with the combo is the fact that it's completely shut down by Rein or D.va, and they are currently very popular picks. It makes the combo infinitely better.

And I'm not saying this is the only thing that makes her decent - I'm saying her ult is great and doesn't need a change.

If there is a change to be made to her, it needs to either happen to her other abilities through buffs, or a slight damage buff - but not both.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Dren posted:

So besides the countering Lucio ult thing she's a worse tracer. Tracer is even better with Zarya ult since she can pulse bomb and kill everyone instead of relying on a third teammate.

Basically, I wouldn't say "worse" - just different. Sombra's a far better pick vs Lucio teams, and I'd argue Sombra's also better on defense due to medkit denial on certain maps (In example, Hollywood A defense. You can cause pain to enemies via negating the medkit outside the first choke). I'd say she's far better on defense than Tracer is. As the roster expands, there may be more instances where her usefulness will be sought after over a Tracer.

If the hacking through shield on the PTR makes it live, though I doubt it will, you'll see a shitton more Sombra coming up.

Elliotw2 posted:

You also realize that translocating out of a fight without a kill counts as losing the fight as well, right? If you fail to kill a Mercy and leave for any reason, she'll have her health back before you can get back in there.

This. I can't stress this enough. If you can't pick off one and have to relocate, you've essentially lost the fight, albeit with slightly less recovery time.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Macaluso posted:

It's funny how the Sombra gameplay stuff they showed at Blizzcon or whatever showed Sombra hacking a turrets, but there's almost never going to be a situation where that's possible.

Yeah this is by far the worst thing. You can't hack a turret for poo poo, and you'd think by her design you'd be a Tjorb counter.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

I gave mouth based chat a shot since Catfish hyped it up.

Surprisingly, there's been no trash talking the couples of hours I've had it enabled. There's barely any talking at all, and this is late night EU.

Conversely, I had a young college girl the other day rage, drop racial and homophobic slurs, and when I told her she was raging and should shut up she fired back "No. YOU are the one raging"

I had fun that match.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I almost never see people get mad in chat (in the 2800-2900 bracket NA, mostly playing in the evenings). Some colorful personalities once in a while, like the guy who played Widow and was really vocally excited every time he got a headshot, but it was hard to be mad with him.

My best experience was with a player I'll never forget.

His name was "Bloodyurine" - guy was hilariously high and his roommate kept getting on him for playing "kids games". He then called his roommate out for being lazy and sitting on their couch staring at a wall while high, and stated that he was at least engaging his mind.

Everyone on the team was joking around hysterically - Bloodyurine set the mood up right. Everyone communicated, had good laughs, and we won easily. Hands down the best game of Overwatch I've played.

Bloodyurine is a goddamn genius, and I need to emulate his attitude.

Internet Explorer posted:

Like, you guys know you can join voice and then mute people on leave as necessary, right? You're not a prisoner in some social experiment.

Oh yeah, most definitely. However, in that same game, we had a 13 year old kid playing. Raging I can deal with - someone using a bunch of racial and homophobic slurs? That sets me off. I shouldn't have responded to her and just muted her, but out of my inability to hold back in telling someone they are ignorant, I felt the need to.

And although you can mute them from talking, you can't stop them from trolling the whole match in a fit of rage, unfortunately.

Caeks fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 10, 2016

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Things I expect in the next 2 months:

- Sombra/Winston buff. Possible slight buffs to Genji. Decreasing the fall-off damage of Mcree, reversing the changes they made.
- Possible Bastion changes.
- Since Terry Crews just posted pictures of himself at BlizzHQ, I think 85% change that Doomfist is the next hero. Probably more news on Doomfist released over the next couple months, with Doomfist hitting by late Feb/Early March at the latest.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

they aren't gonna buff a tank in this meta and they drat sure aren't gonna buff mccree of all things

ana or roadhog could get nerfed; maybe both, but more likely ana. they're the linchpins of the tank meta

I think Ana is going to eat the Nerf, and once she's nerfed, they'll do a slight buff on Winston having to do with his shield or HP. I don't think we'll see a Roadhog change to his damage or HP - while I agree that Roadhog is powerful, I fear any nerfs to Roadhog will bring about an even more stale D.Va + Reinhardt meta and solidify them as the only solid tank picks.

I don't think we'll see a Soldier nerf, but instead a Mcree buff. I'm not 100% sold on it either, but I have this inkling that we'll see minor Mcree changes.

I 100% stand by Sombra/Genji buffs. I think Sombra's clip size, damage or both will be increased. Maybe even some hacking tuning. Maybe a slight HP buff too. Genji, on the other hand, I think needs a slight buff - but he's far harder to balance. As in Roadhog but in the opposite direction, I'm afraid buffing Genji, even slightly, will push him over the edge.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

mccree is amazing and does not need a buff

he's bad against tanks but way better than soldier against flankers. the problem is the over reliance on tanks, not that mccree is bad. putting him back to where he was the uncontested best dps hero is not what they're gonna do

Oh I'm not disagreeing - I merely think Blizzard will do slight buffs to Mcree, regardless. Possibly as a knee-jerk reaction to the tank meta.

On another note, thinking about Bastion - if I remember correctly, didn't Blizzard experiment with making Bastion be able to move, albeit very slowly, while in his turret mode?

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

what you're afraid of won't happen, she's not gonna be useless on console but ok on pc. the platforms aren't that different

Don't they balance console and PC versions separately anyways now? Could've sworn I saw something in which Blizzard said that.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Bruceski posted:

I apologize for anything bad I said about the loot boxes.

The FFT avatar brings you good luck.

I got the Zarya gift emote in a box today - and it's seriously one of the only Christmas themed items I wanted.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

TheRationalRedditor posted:

That happened to me yesterday, also with a seasonal player icon. The fact it's possible is really something

I wonder if it's possible then, however slim, to receive two of the same legendary skins in one box.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Asimo posted:

Contrary to popular belief, nerd sorts tend to veer horribly conservative and change-fearing. Having poor social skills tends to make it hard to expand your viewpoints or understand other people's experiences.

Yeah this astonishes me. I would think that gamers tend to be more tech-savy, and as such, would feed themselves naturally all the wealth of information the internet has to offer. I assumed, because of this, that most young gamers would be far more liberal-leaning - at least when it came to social policies and equal rights in particular.

As an older gamer (By older, I mean 32) I just can't wrap my head around it.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

you should talk to "tech=savy" people something, lotta engineer types are real shitheads who don't know anything beyond their job but assume they are political/social geniuses

I guess it's just my bad assumption that if people are informed, they wouldn't freak the gently caress out at a fictional character being a lesbian.

While I know it's a big deal for the LGBT community to have a character that actually represents them - I can't wrap my head around the backlash against it. Then again, I've also never felt an emotional attachment to any fictional character strong enough to be offended when they did something/were something that I didn't expect them to be, specially in regards to a fictional character's sexuality.

Edit: I already have my CIS white male representation in Soldier:76. Could you imagine the sheer RAGE if he turned out to be gay? Blizzard should release a comic of the origin of Reaper and Soldier 76 once being a couple who had a really, really bad fight.

Cyron posted:

a few months ago some guy raided with his daughter and son in law as the main tank, he was very creepy southern who make jokes about his daughter tits and talked about his balls a ton with her in the channel. i was going to say he was going to force his grand son to only watch cartoons from the 80's and 90's but the incest is just worse.

anyways he was pro gay so i wouldn't think he would of been too upset about tracer, but he was a trumpet who maybe.

i am now in a cool guild now with Canadians, i notice i always have better gaming times with Canadians or Minnesotans.

What the holy gently caress is this I don't even

Edit 2: Cyron's rap-sheet read almost EXACTLY how I imagined it to be.

Caeks fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 22, 2016

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Bastion rework idea:

Bastion runs 10% faster in recon mode.
Bastion can now move at 5% of his recon mode speed while in turret form.
Current ult gone - now replaced with a new mine. Ganymede flies out and places a mine on the select location (Can be put on walls ala Widow's spider mine). When an enemy runs into the mine, the mine activates, firing bullets in all directions over 3 seconds (think Reaper ult). The mine can be destroyed ala Junkrat Riptire.

Bastion fixed. Boom. You're welcome.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

I'm at work and haven't touched the PTR or new patch. I've heard about Bastion and saw the changes, but give me a rundown on what makes it terrible so I know what to expect once I'm off.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Theta Zero posted:

I agree somewhat. Everything but ironclad is alright for Bastion. I'd tone back ironclad to just 25% or so, it just seems a little bit too much.

His normal counters still work, right? As a massive Genji player, I need to know this.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Theta Zero posted:

Eh.

Genji is alright for helping a push shut Bastion down. But if it's just a Genji working to take out a Bastion alone, the Bastion wipes him out. Which should be expected if you're running in alone, anyways.

Tracers are kind of annoying if you lose tracking on them but they get torn to shreds.

Widowmaker is a pretty non-threat and they usually run if you start firing at them.

I don't know what else is considered a Bastion counter. D.Va maybe? But D.Va has to run up right into the Bastion and hold defense matrix and hope her team helps. Which they most likely won't if the Bastion is with his own team.

Maybe this makes running a Hanzo more viable?

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Oh man, so pumped! Having another animal subject as Winston's nemesis is awesome. It does confirm, through the emails, that Hammond is a smaller test subject, and it can be assumed that he's some sort of ape, although it doesn't specify what he is in particular.

As well, in the listing - it lists Hammond as subject 8, and Winston as 28. Hammond came before Winston I assume.

Also other notes:

Horizon may be the new game mode type Jeff was hinting at. If you look at the Horizon map, locations A through G, A and G look like symmetrical starting points for two opposing teams. Points B-F look like capture points. I'm taking a wild guess here, but I think we're looking at a WoW Arathi Basin capture point map.

Edit: Actually looking at it, it looks as if there's a special emphasis put on point G - the Observatory. It may be a twist on the attack/defend payload map, but instead of a payload the attacking team captures points along the way instead of pushing a payload. Think Temple of Anubis/Hanamura but with more points.

Caeks fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 30, 2017

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Some added speculation about Hammond:

What if this is released as an event at the end of the 1 year anniversary? Jeff said they were focusing on one event per month, so this would count as June's.

Also, in Winston's back story, it stated he had to flee Horizon when there was an uprising of apes. Just like the last PvE event, what if the players are charged to stop Hammond and his gang of dirty apes from firing off some sort of super weapon they've been developing since communication was lost? I can totally see a cinematic intro - with out of nowhere, Earth receives a video communication from Horizon, with Hammond taking center stage on screen asking for some sort of demands with apes laughing and jumping around in the background.

The event would center around liberating Horizon, and shooting filthy apes down. Much like the last event, it would include a PvE map with set heroes (Winston being one of those) as you plow your way into the observatory and stop Hammond from his diabolical plan.

This would be fit timing for a "fighting ape" style event, given we also have a new Apes movie hitting theatres soon and could pay homage to the series in hilarious ways.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

I bet you anything Doomfist will be announced by Terry Crews at Blizzcon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Posted in the chill thread - Hammond as I imagine him.

Edit: Hopefully this one doesn't 404

Caeks fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 30, 2017