Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I mean more, like, will the hardware ever ship?

The answer for "hardware" and "Kickstarters" is literally always "no, unless they actually know how to do this stuff already and the Kickstarter is just a preorder gimmick".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

McGiggins posted:

Only a matter of time now:

I don't see any Doritos or Mountain Dew in this picture, so it's complete inaccurate.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
A hundred years from now, the sages in the postapocalyptic wasteland will tell the story of how Star Trek Bridge Crew seduced humanity into the clutches of virtual reality, dooming society to destruction.

Fake edit: It's real good, play it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

Really? I find that very interesting, I wouldn't have thought theres any marketable potential for this, can I ask what exactly your agency needed something like that for?

the black husserl posted:

For sure. We painstakingly recreated a famous musician's 1970s-era recording studio (in physical space**), and invited people to walk through it. We wanted to let people around the world experience the walkthrough, so we hired a team to recreate it in VR. IMHO, their work (despite costing us big $$$) was of worse quality than the video you posted. It was still judged a total success and the client loved it.

Sky is the limit on the commercial potential. A big problem with marketing in 2017 is that everyone wants cool "experiences", but those experiences are limited to a tiny amount of your overall audience, since you're restricted by how many people can actually fit in the physical space. With VR and photogrammetry, any "activation" (whether it's a Kanye West pop-up art show or a new exhibit at the Holocaust Museum) can be experienced by the entire world.

The public might be sour on VR but brands loving LOVE this poo poo. It's why I'm very bullish on the overall future, cause they got the money to make it happen.

**Can't believe I have to type this, but specifying whether or not something is "in" meatspace or VR is going to become a Thing.

poo poo, man, this is your chance to become the VR Documentary Guy. Go for it!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Poetic Justice posted:

CrossVR, the ReVive guy, set up a patreon here , and that one guy some people love to hate donated 2k a month, which is really cool.

I tried tossing in $2 and I got a "It looks like you don't have permission to pledge to CrossVR." message, what?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SwissCM posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, Virtual Reality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly2j3rCyg28

In 30 years all the little kids who love video games are going to end up super buff by the time they get into high school.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Aiming isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Hitting something at the ranges in most games is ridiculously easy. Zaphod's crazy but I do agree with him.

"In the ranges at most games" is the important part. Most games have tiny areas even in "large" landscapes, both to make mapping and setpiece building easier and because shooting at long range with KB+M is really hard, relatively speaking. This is also why a lot of games give weapons like shotguns artificially short ranges, as otherwise they could complete dominate the small in-game fighting distances.

VR makes the whole aim-and-shoot process a lot easier and more intuitive, but it doesn't help with the mapping issue, which only the real expensive multi-map games (Battlefield series, etc) or the really focused single-map games (like PUBG) have really given any focus.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SwissCM posted:

They really need to bite the bullet and implement native mouse support on consoles, perhaps create a one-handed controller to go along with it. There's already stuff out there as you mentioned, it'd just need to be changed so it works natively. Might as well throw in actual keyboard support while they're at it, though I think, technically, both the XBone and PS4 support keyboards already though for text input. You could still segregate mouse and controller users online but at least there's the option for console players to compete on a level playing field and lets face it, FPS games will always control better using mice and mouse-like inputs over sticks.

The Steam Controller combo of trackpad + inertial detection (for a combination of broad and fine movements) is actually super effective once you get used to it, and you don't have to figure out where to arrange a mousepad on your couch.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

On the other hand I think a lot of people who don't play VR see the VIVE controllers or the Oculus controllers and they think "This is just the Wii all over again". They don't see how VR really allows you to do the things that Wii promised but failed to deliver. They've been cheated once and they don't wanna fall for the same ruse again. (But this time its real!)

This is why the best thing that VR companies could do right now is set up VR parlors all over the country where people can come and play Star Trek Bridge Crew for free.

I'm only, like, 25% joking.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAX2H0hpOc4

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

Lol he wants to do a VR episode of Brooklyn nine-nine.... I love you T Crews.

Make it an episode with the whole cast stuck in a multiplayer Job Simulator meets Second Life like setting for "sensitivity training (of the future)" or something.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
As somebody who lives in the middle of a city, I'm amazed by the thought of people somehow not having blinds when they have a $400 headset and the computer to power it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Terrific Accident posted:

Yeah, it's a cute little experience but I can't see the practicality in it. Is every KFC going to have a gaming PC in the back along with a Rift? For a 8 minute experience that kind of vaguely and jokingly shows you what to do with the chicken?

My guess is that it's for the corporate people who will never actually work in a restaurant, to show them the steps involved in a memorable way without just watching a video about it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SwissCM posted:

Games from the last 5 years or so have gotten a lot better in this regard but the problem is when scale is inconsistent, FPS environments aren't designed to be viewed from the perspective of an actual human. It's an art asset problem, it can't really be changed without manually editing the size of every object in the game and fixing the myriad of issues that stem from that.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lemming posted:

I'm really looking forward to whatever the first headset is that can act as a decent monitor replacement

The Pimax 8K project might be able to do that. 4K resolution per eye probably translates to something usable.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lemming posted:

It's a Kickstarter though which means I'm very skeptical

It's a Kickstarter, but Pimax already sells 4K headsets and showed off the 8K prototype at CES, so it's unlikely that it's vaporware. The company also has poorly-explained partnerships with a bunch of major corporations (for example, Disney), so my guess is that the 8K headset is a result of the Chinese manufacturer developing headsets for corporate "immersive experience" stuff and then realizing they can also get more money by selling it directly too.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Less Fat Luke posted:

Oh yeah, I wouldn't get anything right now except the Vive or Rift (or even a PSVR).

:yeah:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I dont know if it’ll ever happen, but it would be great if TV shows could one day scan in their sets so we can move around in them. Obviously their time is long past, but I’d love to explore the parks and rec office in Pawnee, or Downton Abbey or any other number of locations. Hopefully we at least get The Orville ship in the coming years.

Star Trek: Ten Forward And Those Little Hotel Chairs In The Hallway Intersections Crew

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Songbearer posted:

Just got confirmation my replacement headset has been dispatched. Exciting!

Except I've broken my leg so I'm not gonna be able to set it up or enjoy it for a while :smith:

Well maybe I can get a buddy to help me and I can try some sit down games I've been meaning to return to like Thumper and Ultrawings.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

I would love a tactical space combat game in VR like homeworld, but I think it has to played on like a holographic table like in Lone Echo, thats on the bridge of the command ship of your fleet. Where you can look out the windows and see the real ships being represented on the holo table, see the explosions, feel the hits to your command ship etc.

I would love that, but just having a god view of the whole thing without feeling a part of it all just kinda feels dry and removed.

This would be a good and correct way to do things.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

El Grillo posted:

Interesting. I thought we already had small enough high-res screens?

The "retina display" line past which it's hard or impossible to see the pixels is about 60 pixels-per-degree (Apple stuff is 57 PPD at 10 inches away from your face). A 4K VR headset only has about 25 PPD, because the screen is two inches from your eyes.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

I remember in Abrash's talk a few years ago they were saying humans are capable of 120 pixels/degree. Still, going from the ~15 we're at now to 30 next gen with a wider FOV as well, should make a startling difference.

From what I understand, most people can perceive details past 60 PPD, but that's the point at which the pixel color boundaries are small enough that there's no 'screen door' effect.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Re: market share talk, I feel like a bigger barrier than cost for a lot of people is having a physical unobstructed X-by-X space that (a) they can afford to dedicate entirely to VR and (b) is close enough to a computer that the logistical complications don't become absurd.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Pre-break everything and then you won't worry about breaking things in VR.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Alpha Phoenix posted:

In the end, VR was saved. Not by the AAA nor the indie devs as many thought it might be, but instead by horny animes.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-25/spice-and-wolf-vr-anime-meets-crowdfunding-goal-in-2-hours/.139938

Spice & Wolf is actually an Econ 101 textbook disguised as an anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
War Thunder's tech tree doesn't actually matter until you get to the tiers where you'll be using the same plane/tank/boat longer than a couple of days at a time. Just set whatever looks cool in the next tier as the next thing to research.