Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Counterpoint, the cord never bugs me more than when I'm playing a seated game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EbolaIvory posted:

Soundboxing was my first love. But booting that up now after playing Beat Saber or any of the other new stuff (Synth Riders/BoxVR) is a joke.

Soundboxing is still great, have you even played since the major update a year or so ago? The fact that mappers need to physically dance out their maps means that a good map, while maybe having more 1/16 or 1/32 note variances from actual beat, has a much better 'dancey flow' than all but the best Beat Saber maps, which tend to be more about movement patterns than a comparable Soundboxing map which is about just grooving to the music. Not to mention a Soundboxing map has you moving a full ~7-8 feet from arms extended to the floor which Beat Saber and the others I've tried don't even come close to allowing for, making SB inherently a better exercise potential.

Not to say there aren't patterns involved in most SB maps too, but at least for me I tend to make maps along the lines of 'themes' so there are major movements repeated but none exactly and with a lot of variation in between. If you drum or like drum-style maps also there's no comparison to Soundboxing, trying to manually map out a drum-track to a rock song is basically impossible unless you can just hit the beats yourself to the song as you play.

LLSix posted:

Speaking of mappers for Soundboxing. Walrus is really good and fun with lots of motion. Often too hard for me but I've found a few tracks that I can get close on. I recently discovered QuintTheMint does kind of similar stuff, not as much motion, but also much easier so I've been playing more of his tracks recently. Any other good challenge makers I should check out?

Cheddie and Yurble are good. I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Quint's stuff - though he's gotten a LOT better.

thanks for the kind words, if you have any favorite songs that aren't yet mapped let me know and I'll map it tonight or tomorrow.

I was very happy with how this map came out if anyone wants to check out how the maps look in 3D space without actually buying the game: https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/75add705-9d20-11e9-b5b8-6ea6b772ac94

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 8, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Step it up and get yourself some wrist weights.

this a really great way to permanently injure yourself. dont do it. I know boxers do it but those are very controlled movements into resistance. a boxer would never shadowbox with weighted gloves.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Index get

am I not the only weirdo that still says (or I guess just thinks) this occasionally in reference to the Japanese Mario Sunshine star acquisition screen

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
never always put salt in your eyes

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LLSix posted:

Fellow Soundboxers, I want to share a deceptively difficult challenge with you, Caramelldansen. The beat map for this challenge seems really simple, so simple I didn't bother to finish it the first time I played it. Give it a chance and just try to play all the way through though and you'll find that the simple, repetitive motions require enough energy that it is hard to keep up with. Once you think you have the base song down, you can add another level of difficulty in - try and move your weight back and forth in time with the beat/video and suddenly you've got a full body workout going. Even better, try and jump with the beat the way the people in the video are doing.

Once you're doing the jumping motion, this song is physically exhausting. It's less than three minutes long and I still can't get through the whole thing without scaling back to moving my legs less even after a month of practice. Fortunately, the challenge maker built in several convenient break points to allow you to catch your breath. It's one of my favorite songs to put in at the "peak" of my workouts now. Because the beat map is so simple, it never feels unfair, it is purely a test of your physical endurance.

In related news, I lost ten pounds last month and my only exercise came from VR games like Soundboxing. Anyone else got challenges they love for exercise?

Hm, I'll have to give this a try though I'll say that your description doesn't have me enthused. Simple patterns bore me in that game very quickly no matter how physically exerting.

In terms of workout maps, this is the longest one I've ever done by far at half an hour. It's scaled back some in intensity from my typical maps but still it will MURDER YOU. https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/b0db44ab-7a57-11e8-8c04-0a580a200115

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I would bet a hundred bucks that ES6 won't have built in VR support at launch.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't played a minute of NMS but I wached the 11 minute Sean Murray runthrough of Beyond and holy gently caress. This is going to take an awful lot of my life if there's any depth at all to the systems.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've been meaning to play more Compound for a while, love the demo. Might have to give it a shot when I get VR back up and running for NMS this weekend.

the NMS patch notes are insane btw. it's sounding closer to Star Citizen than Star Citizen will ever be. You can hunt animals gather crops and make bespoke recipes that have unique effects!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
How do cockpit controls work in VR? do you have a virtual throttle and stick?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is it possible to use a pad for flying in NMS and VR controllers for everything else, or do you need to switch settings back and forth every time

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
NMS for some reason seems to assume you're sitting down. It's the first game I've played from a chair and it's fine. The static UI is weird but most stuff seems to work well. It's the most fun I've had in VR since the first few months I owned a headset.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

Just roleplay a paraplegic astronaut in a wheelchair.

I've been semi pretending my ship sends out an ROV that I pilot, it works pretty well with the way the movement feels. Ignore the ambulatory hands!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FBS posted:

so Sony just bought Insomniac Games, who are making the until-now-Oculus branded Stormland.

I'm trying to remember specific examples but I could swear in similar situations the exclusivity was grandfathered in due to contractual obligations. Stormland 2 would likely be multiplat though which is great.

Also lol another amazing pickup by Sony, their first and second party games have easily won this generation for them and it doesn't seem like Xbox is even trying.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I've decided it's the best current VR game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hellsau posted:

can you hug that adorable triceratops alien though?

yes. more importantly you can tame and ride the creatures on planets.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzz posted:

I'm getting some hiccups on my Index with Skyrim VR running a bunch of mods and a lightweight ENB, where it was fine on my Rift. I'm guessing it can push like 100fps just fine but that 120 point is a bit too high and 144 is just not happening. It's actually more jarring because you notice the frame dips more than you would with everything just locked at a solid 90. This is on an i7-8700k OCed to 5 gigs and an 8 gig 1070.

I should probably just lock it to 90.

The Index is also significantly higher resolution, isn't it? Despite having a Pimax there are many games that are still Vive-only for me due to performance. Most 'full' games - Skyrim, NMS, etc. Heck I have the same proc as you and a 1080 and I still get like 40% repro in Skyrim in the Vive.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

this is actually hilarious and amazing, what a 100% stupid rear end human in-person experience and none of you were actually there, you are breaking new cyberpunk ground

edit: my only experience with the wave so far was the premier of that glitch mob thing. it was really cool to do with a group of people all on the same wavelength. it creeps me out that there may have been invisible admins there watching.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I don’t know much about maul saber, so forgive my ignorance here. Is she particularly good, or is it that someone else who isn’t saq is doing it at all, or what’s the big thing with that video? I’ve seen it all over reddit.

I think it's that the staff is much much longer than the one saq uses, besides the obvious perv appeal

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't know how anybody can enjoy Fallout 4 VR.

I bought it awhile ago on sale and just now tried it out. The VR controls are so miserable I couldn't force myself to play through the stupid intro.

They should really offer you a save file that's after the stupid intro. It drags so badly in VR, the menu controls are miserable, and you have to use manual walking because the teleport has a pathetically short range.

What a cheap cash-in piece of poo poo.

if you play with a pistol it's pretty fun and good. VATS in VR is very fun https://clips.twitch.tv/ColdbloodedSuaveMagpieHassanChop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given the way tech kickstarters generally go, I'm pleasantly surprised to see the Pimax actually deliver on everything instead of collapsing in on itself. They've shown off the coming accessories for it, and they'll all be shipping in mid December. Except the Sword and Sword Sense Controllers. They've been pushed back to March and May next year respectively.

What's the general verdict been on the Pimax HMD's, out of curiosity? Anyone used/using one?

the only really poor thing about it is the comfort which should hopefully be fixed by the rigid headstrap. it's a great headset, the large fov is hard to go back from once you are used to it.

edit there have been a ton of huge software improvements to the wide fov rendering. there was a lot of distortion at launch it has improved hugely since then. the widest view has a small amount of fisheye still but the medium is still like 180 degrees and is fine.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 30, 2019