Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

NippleFloss posted:

Tennessee, Bama and Ole Miss are the only games left on their schedule that should be competitive. Their defense is improved and it seems like they've fixed some of their offensive issues from last year. I think he will be fine.

On the other hand, Trevor Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I think Mike Stoops would be a great coach for Purdue.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Texas undoubtedly sucks, but not on the level that Charlie Strong made them suck.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Sounds like Baylor is heavily targeting Chad Morris.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Kim Jong Il posted:

Strong turned a bunch of nobodies at Louisville into NFL players. Clearly though the Big XII is stylistically very different than other conferences on offense.

Yeah I think people don't really comprehend how hard it is to face these offenses week in and week out. It's one thing to face a Big 12 offense to start the season or in a bowl game when you have weeks to prepare and a rested defense. You can stop or even shut down an offense in those circumstances. But when you're playing your 4th straight game where there were 80+ defensive snaps and your guys are hurt/worn out, good luck.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Thermos H Christ posted:

Mildly concerning that Herman couldn't get his team up for a game that he potentially had millions of dollars riding on. I mean he will get hired up but a win would definitely have given him more leverage and/or sent a bidding war spiraling higher.

lol if you think the memphis game had any bearing on his getting hired somewhere else

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I'll volunteer to be Texas's coach. I only require $1m in annual salary.

Notable accomplishments:

-1 year as an OC at Idaho (10-2), #1 offense in NCAA
-4 years as HC at North Texas, 3 national titles & 1 BCS Bowl victory
-30 years as HC at Miami (FL), 30 national titles, 17 Heisman winners
-JD from University of Houston (TOM HERMAN COACHING TREE??)

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Just heard about Strong's firing and the Tom Herman hire from a friend. I'm happy about it, but I hope Daric's comments about Herman being a little slimy aren't true. Texas loves character guys, and if Herman's personality doesn't jive with that then his time at Texas is gonna be... interesting. And possibly short.

I also really hope Herman doesn't fire Sterlin Gilbert, even if they do have different offensive philosophies, as we're making some pretty great strides under Gilbert and should be better next year if he stays. The defense and special teams staff should go, but I want Gilbert to stick around.

yall scored 9 against a bad tcu team at home

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

PostNouveau posted:

I guess I've never had a coach leave. What's the ideal way to do it that Herman didn't live up to? Who recently has left a school in a way that didn't piss off the school they left?

It strikes me as kind of like laying people off. Everyone always complains that it wasn't handled well, but there's no good way to do it.

I'd say wait until your regular season is over. There will always be a few pissed off people, but if you aren't actively negotiating while you're supposed to be prepping for the next game (especially when you go on to lose it) people will be ok.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Oregon reaching out to Lincoln Riley :/

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
There had always been a sort of unstated thing about Kevin Wilson when he was OU. Nobody ever talked about it but everyone seemed to know there was something up with him. There was a reason the best job he could get was Indiana.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

big money big clit posted:

The SEC isn't really all super conservative offenses these days.

Yeah, it's just bad offense.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Well that came out of nowhere

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Jay Norvell to Nevada. He was... ok at Oklahoma. Good luck Reno.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Hahaha that's great.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Moving to the Big Ten was prolly a good move for all the money, but Rutgers pretty much doomed themselves to never being able to win more than 7/8 games ever.

So nothing changed?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Texas would beat Rutgers by 20

Texas lost to Kansas.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

PostNouveau posted:

Surprise, it's Major Applewhite!

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

MourningView posted:

Leavitt was also an assistant under him for a long time (as part of the Fry-Snyder coaching graduate program) which might make
him a little more amenable to it

I can't wait for Snyder to retire (not really) so we can get the PPV event of the century in the Leavitt-Venables thunderdome to see who gets to be the successor.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Lmfao there is literally no way Joe Castiglione is going to Texas. He's been OU's AD for 2 decades.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Grittybeard posted:

I mean honestly, you can say he was bad last year all you want but...

Since Kansas hired him I hope you're right of course.

On the other hand... Kenny Hill

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Lincoln Riley extended through 2020 @ $1.3m. Please never leave me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Ruffin McNeill to OU as Assistant Headcoach/Co-DL coach

• Locked thread