Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Anybody know of any Legacy in NYC that starts later in the evening? I'm in the LES area and don't mind traveling anywhere in the city...but I work until 7pm during the week and every single spot I can find starts at like 6pm :( At this point I'm considering asking if I can just register by phone or something and give away a free loss round 1 just so I can get there in time to play a few rounds.

:-/ Geekery starts at 7 on Mondays, think that's the latest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
PSA you can get the mirror in the legacy gauntlet on MTGO. I assumed this would not be the case, but after putting my opponent on storm he tried to go for the turn 2 study/reanimate (which was also my turn 2 play!). Thankfully I didn't study the turn before and also had force, easy games boys.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
The worst thing about legacy gauntlet is absolutely the basic lands btw.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Cernunnos posted:

What basics are they using?

SoI

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Are there any legacy decks you can build 100% out of promos? I think the closest I've found is d&t.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Any of you nerds playing legacy at Montasy in NYC tonight? I'm doing my first sanctioned event with lands and I'm missing 7 of my sideboard cards so I'm running some... interesting sb options.

So if you see a bald dude running some atypical lands poo poo feel free to say hi.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Let's just say I may be taking some extra turns courtesy of Rebecca Guay tonight.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

RoflcopterPilot posted:

I wish I could but I work until 7. I wonder if I can call in and sign up and just take a loss the first round so I can still play. I'm Legacy starved here because apparently every single shop starts everything so drat early :(

I think you can, they claim online registration is available on the event page but I have absolutely no idea what that actually means as I can't find any online form to register with v0v.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

suicidesteve posted:

Noted eternal hub of the country, Louisville.

I sort of want to go just for BBQ.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
To add to that chalice call: In that same exact game, only minutes after player A ran a needle into his own chalice, he then ran a warping wail into his own chalice on 2 as well (his opponent had proliferated to bump the chalice up). Somehow, neither player noticed this again until a turn had passed at which point his opponent became animatedly upset, was pretty funny to watch the judge waddle over and be like 'lmao, he keeps it again dude what is wrong with you?'.

In fairness player A sacced the token he got from the warping wail immediately after the judge call to no benefit, effectively negating it, but it was still really funny to watch.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I still don't understand the logic of letting player A keep the pithing needle after he missed his own chalice, especially with no real progression in board state. It seems to imply that player B has a responsibility to keep up with the chalice triggers and that player A can attempt to play into his own chalice and hope B doesn't notice. It's always been my understanding that you aren't allowed to miss you own triggers that would have a negative effect on yourself.

That's like saying it's ok for a burn player to not announce Eidolon triggers when they cast spells and keep the life if it isn't noticed in time.

I agree, it seems extremely strange.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Skyl3lazer posted:

Current List:

Spells:

2x Punishing Fire
4x Exploration
4x Crop Rotation
4x Life from the Loam
4x Gamble
4x Mox Diamond
1x Manabond
2x Molten Vortex

Lands:

4x Thespian's Stage
4x Wasteland
4x Rishadan Port
3x Grove of the Burnwillows
3x Taiga
3x Dark Depths
3x Maze of Ith
2x Tranquil Thicket
2x Wooded Foothills
1x Windswept Heath
1x The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1x Riftstone Portal
1x Bojuka Bog
1x Glacial Ghasm
1x Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1x Forest

Sideboard:
2x Trinisphere
2x Chalice of the Void
2x Boil
1x Karakas
2x Tieless Tracker
3x Krosan Grip
1x Back to Nature
2x Kozilek's Return

Flex Spots:
Bog vs Karakas vs Boseiju main is a meta call, I tend to find Karakas is the worst uncuttable card in the 75, and Boseiju is amazing vs Miracles game 1.
Sideboard is fairly flexible - I play the B2N instead of the 4th grip, and Boil over Choke because of the Boseiju. There's so much enchantment hate out of some decks your grips can get overloaded (Miracles, looking at you). You can also play a Crucible of Worlds and a Ghost quarter somewhere int he 75 if you're feeling spicy.
Some people are playing a Barbarian Ring against Prelate, I think it's dumb because postboard they're going to have RiP anyway, so I went with Kozi's return SB and a fire/vortex split main.

I guess ask if you have any other questions, the deck isn't in an amazing place in the meta right now, but it's still fun as heck to play. It rewards really knowing the timings and interactions of your cards as well.

Why return over clasm? Is it being an instant worth the extra mana?

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 3, 2016

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Ah yeah, mom makes sense.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I'm going if I take down a GPT this weekend (I probably won't ;)).

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Errant Gin Monks posted:

thats true but there is an actual budget like lands build going around with no ports and tireless trackers

I play lands, don't play this deck without tabernacle.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Skyl3lazer posted:

Tabernacle is like Karakas in that games it wins, no other card would. Additionally, it's a strong part of your mana denial plan, and puts a ton of pressure on the low mana creature strategies (delvers, elves, etc). It's nearly a wrath in some cases as well, when you can double waste into tabernacle and pass the turn.

The card is extremely good, and honestly pretty necessary to have an actual good build of lands. I'm not saying it "worth" the money (the card is expensive only because it's a RL card from Legends), but it's a critical part of the deck. I say this as a dude who has played probably over 1000 matches with Lands in its current iteration.

Yeah it's also pretty good against eldrazi. Not much better of a feeling on earth than being on the draw and having your opponent go: eye, 3 creatures, pass. Untap, draw, tabernacle, go.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Elyv posted:

ok fair enough but what about these

this is a fun game

Colorless lava axe, untappable Mox emerald, 2 CMC annihilate, lightning storm but for instants and sorceries, self targeting tormod's crypt.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Uncounterable timewalk with buyback isn't much of a creature.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Skyl3lazer posted:

I wish I could. Also, since I can't, I wish I could actually watch legacy that weekend.

Exactly this.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

do you think the permanent-based hate is enough, since sneak and show has basically no way to deal with them?

Some people have been running the cunning wish plan to deal with this, for whatever that's worth.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

suicidesteve posted:

And Top is played in plenty of other decks and is a perfectly fine card contrary to what people want to believe from playing against bad players. Terminus is played in one deck and is singlehandedly responsible for keeping an entire archetype down.

Again none of this matters because if they ban anything it'll be Top.

What archetype is miracles keeping down? The deck is good but its not dominant I mean, ffs, Reid won both the match you are talking about and also the most recent legacy GP using a creature-based deck.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

suicidesteve posted:

Aggro. Like, all of it. I don't know how Miracles not winning a GP means it's not dominant? It's pretty clearly the best deck and by a good amount. What are its bad match-ups?

I never said it wasn't the best deck, I'm just curious what you think it is holding down? Just looking at Louisville because I'm not about to do a statistical analysis of legacy finishes to figure this out but the T8 has 1 miracles deck and 5 decks that win by attacking with creatures that aren't Emrakul or Griselbrand. Are you worried that miracles is holding back burn or goblins or zoo or what? I'm just not sure creature strategies are being hosed as badly as you seem to be saying.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

suicidesteve posted:

Ok fine Miracles has one bad tier 2.5 match-up.

Infect is T1 and I'm also reasonably certain that BR reanimator, which is also T1, shits right on top of miracles.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

mcmagic posted:

Legacy Infect isn't T1 unless Tom Ross is playing it.

Tell that to the guy who runs the source's metagame analysis who has it in the decks to beat, where it has been for at least 6 months.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

PSA: Please keep bringing surgical in against lands.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

daze can go but you need forces to hit the gambles and explorations because the game really gets out of control if those go off

Yeah, you need to keep force and I'm like 100% he was boarding them out for surgical. Also I'm on control not RG so its even worse against me but the deck is rare so I don't blame him for not knowing.

e; Not all of them, obviously, but he only ever showed one the whole game.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 14, 2017

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

seems funny with trading post. I dunno if there is or has ever been a viable trading post deck, but there was a sweet R Tron deck that played trash for treasure and got up to all sorts of foolishness with trading posts and stuff. might work there

There was one in big standard for like 2 months once.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I'm really glad someone chimed in with that

Yeah, it's the only thing I miss about living near DC. My LGS is talking about trying to get monthly 16-proxy tournaments going, I hope it happens.

drat, 16 proxy legacy is pretty sweet. We have 15 proxy vintage out here which already feels borderline free for me as a legacy player.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Snacksmaniac posted:

Just keep it on the low. Wizards was acting like they cared about that like a year ago.

I mean they'd find it if they cared, they don't make a secret of it.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

uninverted posted:

I picked up the new gifts ungiven storm deck since it was super cheap on MODO, and it feels really really strong. You can go off deterministically on T3 with just a ritual and gifts ungiven if you managed to stick a baral/electromancer the previous turn, and there are tons of hands that win on T3 or T4 from an empty board. Playing baral on T3 and remanding their T4 play to loot a past in flames into your graveyard is also the most disgusting thing ever.

Got a link or a list?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

EvilBeard posted:

The Tabernacle is at the post office. Tomorrow, she is complete:

Welcome to the fold azn lands brother.

Mine's all mixed though. Still ISO 3 more Korean Explorations so I can ditch the JP ones.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 10, 2017

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I'll be hitting up at least one day's worth of legacy side events at GP NJ in a couple of weeks, as well as the NYSE Vintage Open in a few months. I'll try to remember to do some trip reports, as I also enjoy reading them.

Any of you goobers hitting up any of those things as well?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

when is NYSE? the last info I can find is for the one this past year. If it's in a place i can get to from the city without a car, I might go. I assume it's not that hard to get around LI but i have no idea

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1342949552445166/

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Anyone have recent experience w/ standstill decks in legacy? I built SnT recently and absolutely hate playing it, looking to make a move. Thinking I'll either pivot into some kind of *still list or miracles. I already own and love lands, just looking for a reasonable 2nd deck for the days I don't feel like 20ing people.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

L0cke17 posted:

I'm not a huge fan of it in legacy. Without moxen to power it out on turn 1 standstill is kinda lackluster. I've recently been playing 4 color delver(down from 5 color delverless delver) and loving it. It's super fun, and has game vs everything.

Yeah, I've been considering a delver variant. Is goose a thing again?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Guess who has two thumbs and just bought elves. Hot tip for those of you down for a good spec, people are selling SP+ cradles for ~$120 on MKM.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
For those of you who play vintage: how do you feel about bringing in 2x stage 2x depths and a 2nd loam in punishing depths? Seems like everyone just rams in cages and enchantment removal against oath. Is it too slow or what?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

bring in 4x Monastery Mentor, 3x Tundra, 1x Gush, 1x Gitaxian Probe

Already running probe, but gently caress mentor imo.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
20th at NYSE V on punishing oath, prizes to top 16 rrrip. Hard cast griselbrand twice to victory with only orchards, a jet, and a lotus as black mana producers so that was fun. Was anyone else in the thread there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Star Man posted:

They can unban Jace when I have a playset of them.

I just got a playset, and I am in favor of the unbanning.