Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
ok we can start the meeting... can everyone hear me? no? how about now?

the slides stopped advancing, maybe try restarting powerpoint???

*crunch crunch crunch* please make sure if you're on the *dog barks* line you're muted unless you want to *crunch* talk

ok apparently the branch office cant hear me anymore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
*screeching audio feedback*

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
*webex client crashes without warnign*

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
we recently switched from lync to jabber, and everybody is mystified because while lync was lovely sometimes, but jabber is just a constant stream of liquid diarrhea all over everything

and our conference call system is now this undocumented mysterious bullshit where you dial a weird prefix and then an extension and it creates a room, except this works terribly if at all. like, if somebody shares their screen, it pops open a new window with that stream for everybody, but if anybody closes that window, it closes for everyone. also it defaults to showing video when you call someone, i eagerly await the first time someone gets fired for forgetting about this while they work from home and answering a call from the ceo with no pants on

and webex is restricted to "necessary users only" because it costs money per person who has an account, and thats just too much to pay for being able to have semi-functional online meetings

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shaggar posted:

their phones are, atleast. never used their server side stuff

We had polycom before lync and for the conference room systems you had to literally hold the cable at the right angle like television rabbit ears for the audio to work and if anybody bumped it the audio would get super crackly

So basically what I'm saying is that I don't believe you

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DrPossum posted:

Just wasting 20 minutes with an audience of about 40 for a remote presentation. skype and our poo poo conference phone system doesn't work. Troubleshooting by committee is a great thing

every time we have to do live troubleshooting in an all hands meeting i wonder how much it costs the company per minute to have everybody sit on their asses listening to "can you hear me now? how about now?"

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

went into the sprint meeting today with my new laptop

hooked it up to the TV and lady gaga came blasting out of the newly connected 72inch speakers.

Then I fumbled with the keyboard shortcut to mute audio - it was already indicating it was muted but a new device means that its on, so I pressed that like 3 times until I figured out that on meant off in this case.

My shame, heard in front of all my team.

This is technically an online meeting because 1 guy has to call in.

congrats, you are the clusterfuck from the thread title

dont worry though, we all are at one time or another

for some reason jabber auto-starts video when you join a group call here, i'm just waiting for the inevitable awful mess thats sure to cause sooner or later

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Arcsech posted:

for some reason jabber auto-starts video when you join a group call here, i'm just waiting for the inevitable awful mess thats sure to cause sooner or later

also theres an option to turn this off, which i have selected at least 3 times now but it never seems to stick

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

imo skype chat isn't bad, it's the entire skype ui that's bad

Skype, or Skype for Business? Because those are entirely different things that have nothing in common except they both do text and video chat

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

new procedure for teleconferences with our overseas office:

they all crowd in a boardroom and call the boardroom we're using

Honestly probably the most reliable method if you only have two endpoints

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
in a multi-site conference call/presentation right now, the call is hooked up to the room speakers and is absurdly loud

every 3-5 minutes there's this really loud noise over the speakers like somebody is playing sound effects of people getting punched and/or breaking glass. i wonder if one of our remote workers is getting murdered

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

yesterday i had my first conference call with a significant number of people involved, and the first 10 minutes was exactly like that conference call simulator website, with the confusion, muffled audio, and mute button requests. someone was playing pokemon or something and you could hear all the beeps and boops. after a while someone who was apparently on their phone in the car rolled the window down, so whooshing noise drowned out the presenter for a couple minutes.

the meeting ran over an hour, was about our terrible insurance plan, and centered around a powerpoint. the presenter couldn't figure out how to screen share, so instead we watched a black screen while they described what the slides looked like.

this is perfect

it's like the platonic ideal of a conference call

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shaggar posted:

wow blue jeans sounds like a piece of poo poo

jabber does the same thing

but everybody should already know it is a piece of poo poo, as it is a piece of software from cisco

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Agile Vector posted:

there should be a send video toggle somewhere i think, at least our version has one

there is but it keeps toggling itself back on because gently caress you

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
i had an anti-clusterfuck meeting today

i finally goto to use our executive conference room. this room is equipped with a full-room audio setup, all run from an ipad bolted to a stand. every seat has a microphone on an adjustable stem and each has a big mute button with a nice, bright led indicating whether you were on or not. the audio was great - the echo cancellation was perfect, the voice quality was amazing and everything just worked.

too bad we probably spent a bare minimum of 6.5 figgies making this one conference room not suck (especially since its also soundproofed because SENSITIVE BUSINESS STRATEGY)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

vodkat posted:

Is there ever really a reason why you need an online meeting and you couldn't just send and email or was so important you couldn't just send the person there?

People don't read email

Like, ever as near as I can tell

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

same but every meeting

one of the best engineers in our building routinely shows up to meetings 5-10 minutes late

this has never once caused a problem that i can remember. it is almost certainly intentional

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

maniacdevnull posted:

Buy a headset you broke dick rubes

When we transitioned away from handsets the company bought everyone a headset

Since them it seems like 85% of them have gone missing

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Clockwerk posted:

bit too long to be the thread title, shame

i dunno,

quote:

webex thread: 25 people listening to a VP order & return a mcdonalds shake
works

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

mishaq posted:

my DECT headset at work has really nice range so sometimes i take shits while on calls and get paranoid about whether or not mute is actually on

you left your mute off once and all of your coworkers secretly laugh about it before every call with you

also sweet thread title, thanks graph

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

AWWNAW posted:

to my knowledge web ex has no special horse cock realtime filtering

drat, its too bad we already have such an amazing thread title because this would be a great one

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

fart simpson posted:

10pm for me (in china), 7am for california, 4pm for denmark

Lol you and cali are getting owned by Denmark

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

you can blow a lot of people's minds doing win-arrow key to snap windows around.

Win 10 changed the behavior of win+up and it pisses me off every time

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

what

that's been one of the window controls for a while now...?

In win7 & 8 win+up maximized the current window. In win10 it does that... Except if you previously used win+left/right, then win+up reduces the window to a quarter of your screen, which is loving useless and awful.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Iridium posted:

infosec is the realm of a sort of hive-mind autism.

"god, users, rite? it's not like this is difficult stuff!" <sets a mandatory 32 character password limit changed weekly, installs monitoring software that prevents windows core services from running, blocks facebook at work cuz that one girl totally friendzoned them there once>

edit- also, countdown to UMM, ACTUALLY replies

this sort of "infosec" is the worst bullshit

sane, intelligent infosec people are essentially unicorns

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Podima posted:

enjoy you are 4 hr meeting

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

indigi posted:

this isn't something that is predictable

well i mean, my prediction would be walls that look like a preschool because people will start writing on the walls assuming they've been whiteboard-painted and welp

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shaggar posted:

don't run skype 4 b and teams at the same time. they are both skype 4 b clients

is skype4b really so lovely it can't candles multiple clients connected simultaneously in tyool 2016

I mean, I know the answer to that question but seriously what the gently caress

And the really sad part is that we switched from skype4b to jabber and jabber is a thousand times worse in every way

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Tatsujin posted:

s4b doesnt do offline messaging or even chat history, whats the loving point of using it if I have to send a loving email or check outlook half the time

Afaict our jabber doesn't do chat history either. At least with s4b it put it in outlook

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
cjs: supposed to help IT set up one of our products on our network with a mildly complex configuration but IT needs to tell me what exactly they want

this process started the first week of december, since then there have been 6 emails all of the form:

quote:

Hey all, sorry for the delay. Let's go ahead and get started with this - $name can you set up the meeting?

Thanks,
$previous_name

can't wait for the inevitable clusterfuck of a webex that will inevitably ensure whenever someone gets around to setting up the meeting

alternatively, still having this thread in my inbox next january

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

adulthood is emailing back and forth "sorry for the delay!" until you die

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

My company just told me that they wouldn't pay for anyone in my group to have a webex/gotomeeting account for working with vendors that don't supply their own solution, but we can pay for it out of pocket for our own personal accounts and they'd let us use them.

Gee, thanks guys.

:sever:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Sniep posted:

why would you want that

like literally what benefit would that offer vs. just having normal rear end accounts

milking money from big corporate accounts that think it's a must have. I mean that's why our poo poo has worthless AD integration

which really is not something I can object to tbh

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

qa : join this webex plz
me : what's up
qa : you're working on the source code fix, right?
me : yeah it's been done for a while but i keep getting pulled into meetings and haven't put in the merge request yet
qa : ok don't put in the merge request there's another issue that's come up- did richard reach out to you about it?
me : we just talked about the fix i just put in like- 30 seconds ago....
qa : no no- it's about the u.g.h. fix
me : the what?
qa : you-gee-aich
me : i'm searching all our transforms for that field and i'm not seeing it anywhere
qa : maybe it still had to be added- hold on i have richard joining the webex
richard : what's up
qa : i saw your message about the ugh issue. rex is saying he's ready is your fix ready as well?
richard : .... what?
qa : the ugh. you-gee-aich. the other thing that had to be fixed
richard : no i was saying 'ugh' because someone said this was fixed like last week but it wasn't so i had rex do it
qa : what
richard : like- ugh. you know? ugghhh- you spell that 'ugh'
qa : oh so we're good then

holy poo poo

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

fart simpson posted:

ive never used skype 4 b but how can u screw up text chat? shouldnt that be pretty easy?

Microsoft found a way to gently caress it up.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

I was skeptical but this is fantastic

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/JaxAlemany/status/887144137459421185

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

graph posted:

were ditching webex for zoom

any opinions

never used zoom is but being better than webex is a not a high bar

then again, conference systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

A Pinball Wizard posted:

lol if you don't wear blue jeans every day (except shorts day)

lol if every day isn't shorts day

(seriously, some people in my office wear shorts when it's -3F out, it's weird)

• Locked thread