Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Game owns and you should buy it.

The OP is good too. Might be worth pointing out that, with Engineers, you want to level them specifically to buff ranged units. Having your Quarrelers, Thunderers and artillery having extra accuracy, more ammo and a higher attack speed makes the Dwarfs already-good ranged game into something monstrous and beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Yeah, they aren't kidding when they say Dwarfs get an easy start. The Empire will be your friend and will buffer you from Skaeling and Varg. The VCs are usually hostile but Zhufbar controls the pass between Sylvania and the mountains so they can't actually do anything to you. So you pretty much only have to worry about exterminating the Greenskins. You can conquer literally everything south of Karaz-a-Karak, including all the Badlands, and then you've got map edges on your south and east flank, humans to the west and north (who will spam you with alliance offers as soon as Archaeon shows up), and Black Fire Pass as a chokepoint in case Archaeon and friends make it that far south.

They're a good first-choice playthrough, I think. Just remember to rush Mount Gunbad.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 8, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

genericnick posted:

I'm not even sure how good this idea is. If you take both settlements Zhufbar looks rather shaky against the vamps. In my game I had to confederate them just a few turns later because it looked unlikely that they would hold out long against the VC. Also marching a big stack north early tends to invite a raiding visit from Ironhide that can seriously damage your growth.
Confederating them is fine, though, since you'll do a much better job with their provinces than the AI will.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Kimsemus posted:

Just thought I'd weigh in on the mods I think are essential for gameplay (so long as you actually enjoy modding) that might find some interest in the OP or something:

Better Camera Mod - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=690476829

Does what it says, dramatically improves the zooming capabilities in the battle map, and is essentially for battles where you have reinforcing armies spreading out your battle line. Also great for getting close zooms on combat and letting you enjoy the show. Pretty much compatible with everything as well.
This used to cause crashes, did they fix it?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Kimsemus posted:

They did, I've not experienced any crashes on my machine, but I get minor tearing when I'm zoomed all the way in.
Sweet, I'll try it out.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Triskelli posted:

Yeah Radious is more concerned with averaging out unit rosters than creating interesting play decision, but I guess there's a case to be made for making sure everyone has the same options.
I've never tried a Radious mod so maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but surely this defeats the point of having very different factions? Dwarfs are explicitly designed not to have cavalry, for instance...

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Triskelli posted:

And I can't tell you how many times I've seen people bemoaning that in casual surfing, and usually mentioning the mountain goats you saw Dwarves riding on in the Hobbit.
They have priests in World of Warcraft too, why no Warrior Priest for Dorfs CA? :argh:

I wonder if they also complain about Chaos and VC having no ranged or Orcs having no ability to spread corruption or whether they ever actually figure out that this is a feature rather than a bug.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

midge posted:

Is there a recommend Dwarf stack for taking on end game chaos? I'm trying to figure out the mixture of armour pierce vs front line sust
I use Ironbreakers, two units of Hammerers and a mix of Thunderers and Quarrellers, with 2 cannons and Brimstone Gyros. Bring an engineer.

Stick the Ironbreakers in a line, put the Thunderers on the flank facing outward, and put the Quarrellers behind the Ironbreakers. As usual the AI cav will try to flank you / go for your artillery and your Thunderers will murder them. If they manage to charge the Thunderers without breaking charge the Hammerers into the melee. The Gyros are there to take out Hellcannons, which are really annoying. I've been experimenting with Organ Guns instead of cannons, and positioning them on the edges of the flanks outside the Thunderers. They do a lot of damage with clear firing arcs but are a bit vulnerable. You can stick a unit of Ironbreakers next to them to babysit them, but that's probably too much trouble at that point. Meanwhile the enemy infantry will just charge your Ironbreakers. If your Hammerers aren't otherwise occupied you can bring them up and charge into their flanks while they're failing to hurt your Ironbreakers. Quarrellers just shoot wherever they're needed most. Once the cavalry is all dead or broken you can swing the Thunderers up to start shooting into the flanks of the main melee on the front line.

Also always fight in the Underway if you possibly can. All the maps are long and narrow which is perfect for Dwarfs, and when you win you'll destroy the entire enemy stack since they can't retreat :black101:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 9, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

For shits and giggles I tried an army of Thorgrim, 5 Ironbreakers and 14 Organ Guns against a generic Chaos horde in a Custom underway battle. It did surprisingly well.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Wilekat posted:

Is there a way to game underway interceptions or something because christ almighty watching an orc army hop from one side of a mountain to the other for six turns is kind of grating.
You can take a trait (as Dwarfs anyway) that gives you a fairly big boost to the chance of getting one. It's the first skill in the blue lord tree, and you want a few points in that tree anyway because Lightning Strike is really good.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Fans posted:

So had a Goon game last night
Were you playing Dorfs? Dorfs are the best. True Fact. Having shitloads of ranged damage and units that never break owns.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Decus posted:

They're inf_mel only instead of having their HP divided among lots of mens they're just one man.

Yeah, it's super easy to alter those values. I set it to 15 and 450 and turn times increased pretty greatly by end-game, probably at least 30 seconds.

There are several variables across quite a few tables all about making decisions to conquer/sack/raze/occupy. Guessing you could just cross-check the values with Attila or Rome 2? It's very possible that they made the AI more aggressive with heading out to sack/raze but once the mod also let them occupy they took the chance to do so. I don't think I'd use Conquer Anywhere for single player but it's great for co-op.

Taxes, doing diplomacy things and merging/recruiting troops also fall under "things to consider" as well and are done before moving armies. Yep, turn just ends if they hit their cap.

I'm still tweaking numbers with mine but I think there is actually a mod on the workshop that had a similar idea only instead of adding a new unit class it just changed all of the monsters into the unused "elephant" class and added appropriate "everything does less damage to this thing" modifiers.

edit: vvv harder difficulties do give you leadership penalties, very hard is -5 and I forget what legendary was since it's not in the database and I forgot what I hovered. It's really dumb--I prefer just giving the AI more leadership instead of also nerfing your player units.
I'd be interested in trying this - both the tweaked auto resolve and the more generous AI turns. Are you planning to publish the mod?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Kenzie posted:

Why do the skeletons march in such rigid, lockstep formations, while the zombies lurch and stagger around so much? Aren't zombies just skeletons with meat attached to them? :iiam:
I really like the skeleton animations, actually. Seems like a deliberate callout to those awesome stop-motion skeletons from cheap 1970s b-movies.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Magic swinging wildly between overpowered and useless is just another way this game is faithful to the tabletop :colbert:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Dandywalken posted:

That Empire of Sigmar mod has balance issues, but otherwise its... well, perfect for that "hey why arent my INSERT TABLETOP UNIT included?" guys. Or at least it will be in the future probably.
Seems like it doesn't change the non-human factions much though, right?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Nasgate posted:

Yeah, roads are wonky. Have your mate raze one of the smaller port towns the orcs have and use that for trade. The trade river for the humans runs through almost every major player except the ones stuck right next to the mountains.
Do you actually need trade all that much as Dwarfs, though? Mount Gunbad will pay for a decent stack by itself and you're not really short of other income buildings. Whenever I've played trade has been a nice bonus compared to my economy buildings which are doing all the heavy lifting.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Mazz posted:

Throw him in a good army and fight a lot is generally the fastest, pulling him out for occasional agent stuff when you have time. Engineers give good army buffs though and if you're fighting regularly is the best continuous XP.
Yeah engineers will make your ranged and artillery even more OP than they already are so it's a good idea to have one in your army anyway.

quote:

So anyone have dwarf tips?
In addition to what everyone else has said about Grimgor, try and take Mount Gunbad as soon as you can. It has a gold mine which will help with upkeep but it also has a unique building called the Brightstone Mine that costs 10k gold to build but will net 1500 a turn. It can support an entire stack by itself and will give your economy a huge boost.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 13, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Aren't replays bugged to the point that they won't be an accurate, uh, replay of what happened?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Kitchner posted:

Yeah, Kislev is basically just the Empire but Russian.
You'd need to do bear cavalry, two unique LLs (one of which would have to be Katarina) and an entire new lore of magic (Ice) at the least, I'd have thought.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Dandywalken posted:

From the Empire of Sigmar mod comments.

Yes.... yes...
:commissar:

quote:

I'm convinced that alliances with the AI prior to the Chaos Invasion are a gigantic trap.
I think it depends a lot on which faction you're playing. As Dwarfs I find it doesn't matter too much, because other Dwarfs are only likely to drag you into wars against people you're probably fighting anyway like the VCs or various Orcs. As Empire I find it annoying for the same reasons you do so my rule was to limit myself to non-aggression pacts and trade deals, unless there was someone I specifically wanted to confederate with.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

DiHK posted:

Is Zufbar the red one or the one to the south? I allied the Red one in my VC game, they're good friends now. I also forgot that I had the Dwarf Economy Cheat Mod on so at turn 130 I just quit that campaign.
Zhufbar is immediately to the north of The Silver Road, the starting Dwarf province. They are badasses who always tie up the VCs for a good 70 turns in my Dwarf games. That gives me time to exterminate the greenskins before rolling over the Vampires with my doomstacks. Zhufbar are bros.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Nasgate posted:

So two things.

1. With a mod that removes AI cheats installed, I am taking over the human territories as VC without starting any wars. Straight up just using hero actions and rebellions. Also, the Greenskins have taken out the dwarves for me, it's kind of scary knowing they own almost all possible strongholds on the east side.

2. I can't tell if the orc AI is dumb on purpose or not. They go through my lands using March, not underground. So while he tries to fight a war against the rest of the world, he can't actually send any units since they would die before reaching altdorf.
The AI is dumb because it's a few lines of code that doesn't understand anything about what it's doing. If you remove the various cheats that try to help it compensate for the fact that it literally cannot think, I expect the AI will appear to be even dumber than usual.

The complaints about AI are really kind of strange. AI is really, really hard. Maybe if CA hired a bunch of the world's leading machine-learning experts they could train some colossal AlphaGo-style deep learning system that runs on a cluster of a couple thousand GPUs to play the game to a reasonable standard.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Fangz posted:

If you want battles to last longer, play on slow motion. :colbert:

Really I don't see improving leadership to be reasonable at all. The point of leadership is that it makes victories significant. If you play well and rout a force, you should be able to kill lots of them with relatively little loss. If everything stands and fights, battles become attritional, and both sides take relatively equal losses. Winning a big battle just therefore lacks impact. Then you add on larger numbers of armies so that you are fighting more battles.... The end effect is to make stuff a pointless slog.
It's also one of the differences between the factions. One of the weaknesses of Greenskins as a faction is they have poo poo leadership. If you buff leadership across the board you buff Greenskins relative to the other factions. It'd be like making a mod that gives all the ranged damage in the game +20% because "it makes for more exciting fights!". When actually it would just buff Dwarfs and Empire and nerf VCs and Chaos.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 16, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Are dwarfs still bottom of the pile in multiplayer, out of interest?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

So I've owned this since it came out but haven't played since just before Beastmen. I updated it today then tried to launch and had it crash to desktop (with an error message) on the splash screen. That's never happened before, and nothing has changed hardware-wise on my PC*, so I'm assuming it's something to do with the update. Anyone have any ideas? I have no DLC except the Warriors of Chaos one you got for ordering early.

*The first time it happened I figured it might be out-of-date graphics drivers, but I've updated them and it's still happening.

edit: I've tried all the usual Steam stuff like verifying the cache, it claims it's all fine.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 30, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Captain Beans posted:

Have any mods installed?
Nope.

quote:

Also try deleting this entire folder C:\Users\$USERNAME$\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Warhammer
That did the trick, thanks! :)

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

What's the MP balance like after all the DLC and balancing patches? Are Dwarfs still bottom of the pile?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Nanomashoes posted:

Tier 1: VC, Empire, Greenskins
Tier 2: Dwarfs, Chaos, Bretonia, Beastmen

This list is Ninjahund's, one of the best and certainly the most prolific player.
Thanks!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Does Very Hard in Battle mode actually change the AI's behaviour, or does it just give a bunch of bonuses to stats? The stat bonuses are annoying because they break faction balance - high-leadership greenskins are just dumb, for instance. If so, are there any mods that keep the behaviour change but get rid of the stat buffs?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Double Bill posted:

Where do they even go from here? WH is such a perfect setting for TW anything historical feel dull and limited in comparison.
Yeah, I think this is the absolute core of why this is such a good TW game. Trying to be even somewhat historical really limits what they can do in terms of faction balance, crazy mechanics and so on. With Warhammer they can just go crazy and make the factions massively different, add in all sorts of crazy/fun mechanics and just basically turn all the dials to 11.

I get that it's not for everyone but just from a game-design point of view the freedom of being able to totally ignore historical accuracy, practicality, plausibility etc must be really liberating.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

So I really like the game, but the DLC seems very expensive. £6 for Beastmen seems OK but a lot of the other stuff like new Lords with special campaigns seems pricey. Can anyone convince me it's worth it (if it is?)

edit: or do CA end up bundling DLC eventually, or having a sale on them?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 3, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

OK, thanks. I might start with Beastmen and go from there :)

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Ammanas posted:

So this is cool. Steam won't download the 5gb DLC because the 29gb I have free on my SSD is insufficient. Because steam or CA decides the way to release patches and DLC is to copy the entire goddamn game temporarily or something. How the gently caress do I download this poo poo without uninstalling the game I'm trying to update
I had this problem with an 88MB Deus Ex patch the other day. It's infuriating. I ended up having to copy all 51 GB of it to a mechanical drive, apply the tiny patch, then copy it back. Even that involved screwing around with manually editing .acf files because Steam was refusing to discover the existing files after I'd moved them. I don't have a solution I'm afraid, just commiserations.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 9, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

This game has the most pants-on-head retarded patching system I've ever seen. 28.9 GB free on the drive it's on is apparently "not enough disk space" for a 120MB patch. Christ.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Gonkish posted:

From what I understand it creates a copy of the install, then patches that copy. Something like that. I don't know. :doh:
Yeah, this is exactly what it does. I have no clue why the gently caress it does it this way, it seems like you couldn't design a stupider patching process if you tried. I'm going to have to just remove it from my SSD, I think, but cloning 33 gigs of data, applying a tiny patch, then rewriting the patched clone on top of the original is going to take loving ages on a mechanical drive. It's so moronic.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The guys that turn up in the Badlands are a Chaos invasion specific thing designed to mess up your pots and pans and ensure you're not going to get an easy ride buffering your Dwarves or Greenskins behind a wall of the rest of the Old World.
Are they ever all that threatening? It's been a while since I played Dwarfs but I have vague memories of them smashing themselves against a garrison until I sent a stack to murder them. It didn't feel like much of a challenge, but maybe I just got lucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Gejnor posted:

I kinda want to make a mod now that makes the badland chaos stacks more dangerous.. more stacks? better units? maybe both?!

Unless this exists already, it probably does.
I'd definitely install it, if that helps. Been thinking about doing another Dorf campaign and this sounds like just the thing to mix it up a bit.

• Locked thread