Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Antoine Silvere posted:

Hah no worries, more info is alway good! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who found rodeoing weird. Maybe they changed the mechanics of it?

What I've heard is that now when you rodeo an enemy Titan you automatically rip out a battery or something, toss a grenade in, and hop off. No more hatch-popping. The "battery" can then be given to a friendly Titan to restore health and maybe some core charge. Which is especially useful since Titans don't have a recharging shield anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

Wazzit posted:

http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/pilots/
Here are the 3 announced abilities, from what I played the grappling hook was too much fun not to use and I didn't bother with the other abilities. I guess the tactical ability determines what your player looks like, so if you choose the grappling hook you get this suave looking spectre with a cool scarf.

This game informer article says seven pilot tacticals. Who knows if that's a mistake, the website sure does make it look like there are 6.

Also, as far as the grappling hook = robot goes, near the beginning of the multiplayer trailer we see someone use a grapple, and when they enter their Titan we see it's a female pilot. So you're not strictly constrained to be a robotic Tarzan. My theory is that they've made "robot" a third gender option :woop:

runchild
May 26, 2010

Somebody in r/Titanfall noticed an unrevealed Titan in the multiplayer trailer. "Legion" can be seen starting at 0:18 and then again at 1:18. It's weapon looks a lot like the Avenger, a weapon that was cut from Titanfall 1.

Turns out we could have spotted Ronin early, too, but only in this extended B roll footage between 0:27 and 0:45. And we wouldn't have known about the sword.

Speaking of r/Titanfall, ugh that place is awful. So many people crying about how the game is ruined before they've even played it. I just want to check for interesting tidbits like this, not hear them whine.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So what are the factions this time? I vaguely remember hearing that it wasn't IMC vs Militia, and the factions look like red and brown guys vs green and gray guys who kinda look like a mix between the first game's factions.

Some dev mentioned a third faction called the "Remnant Fleet" but nobody has a clue what that means. There's definitely a shot in the single player trailer where an IMC pilot is chilling in the same ship bridge as a couple Militia pilots, which is interesting. Multiplayer still seems to be IMC v. Militia.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Snuffman posted:

tl;dr Titanfall had a story guys :V

That's pretty close to my theory, though I hadn't thought of Spyglass as the reason for a new IMC fleet from the core systems to be against what's left of the original forces.

I actually like the Titanfall story/setting a lot, though it could obviously use a bit better writing and more fleshing out.

Alehkhs posted:

"We're getting off this hill! Come with me!" :black101:

Those parts are still there, it's just the lobby voiceover stuff that's missing. It's still a pity.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Anybody else notice that your opponent wasn't always the Apex Predators or the 6-4? It always reverted back to one of them in the postgame summary, but mid-game there were at least four more factions.

Aces
Ares
Vinson Dynamics
M-COR? It looks like the old militia symbol and there's an M in there. The Marauder Corps was the brigade of the Militia you played as last game.

runchild
May 26, 2010

spiralbrain posted:

$80 for the Deluxe Edition is pretty steep. Other than the extra themes and skins is it basically like a season pass? What are all the bonuses?

I think that extra $20 only gets you a bunch of cosmetics. There is no season pass, all new maps and modes are gonna be free. They learned their lesson from the first game's DLC splitting the player base (they eventually made all the maps free and that helped).

They're def gonna sell something, though, mostly cosmetics I bet. But I am paranoid that they could charge us for new Titans down the line. :tinfoil:

runchild
May 26, 2010

FWIW, the xbone still has a decent player population, as long as you don't want to play any of the more esoteric game modes. Even after the changes since the last game and the ways that recent FPSs have emulated Titanfall, I still think it provides a unique enough experience to hold it's own.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Wazzit posted:

New Pilot Classes trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHvoaAAhGno

Looks like there's a literal 1v1 mode?

Respawn confirmed that 1v1 mode at the end is the "Coliseum" you get access to with a "ticket" from Mountain Dew, Doritos, or Buffalo Wild Wings. Best 2 out of 3 wins, winner gets "Advocate Gifts," whatever those are.

e:f,b

runchild fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 22, 2016

runchild
May 26, 2010

Niggurath posted:

They just updated which model is connected to the grapple; it's still very much connected to your ability.

Except the player model that uses the new Amp Wall ability is the same bomb-suit guy as the Holo Pilot. And we see that same model use the Holo Pilot ability* later in the video, so that one hasn't just been swapped. EDIT: Actually the guy that uses A-Wall has Holo Pilot on his HUD so apparently that's just a placeholder icon. So the guy later who uses the Hologram Boost might actually have A-Wall too. That doesn't confirm that the player model is totally customizable, it just means we can't draw any firm conclusions about model=ability yet. The website shows Amp Wall to be the old Cloak character model, and the new game of thrones motherfucker is the new Cloak. But it still shows robo-Crockett as the grapple pilot. Seems like they're still sorting things out. EDIT: The website has a lot of discrepancies with the icons and payer models. Probably miscommunication between the dev team and the web team.

Also, don't forget that there's at least a male and female version of each. My theory/hope is that "robot" is a third gender option. The first multiplayer trailer showed a female pilot model we haven't seen anywhere else using grapple.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, looks like the grapple ability is tied to the more basic looking model and the blink ability is tied to mr robotjox

The model that uses Phase Shift in the beginning of the trailer is human. Hard to see but it looks like the Phase Shift guy on the website. It definitely doesn't have robolegs. EDIT: Apparently the models are definitely switched in the version that all the new videos are coming from. So phase shift IS a roboguy in the most recently playable version we've seen.

*Technically we see them use the triple-hologram Boost, but his HUD still shows Holo-Pilot is his normal ability.

runchild fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 23, 2016

runchild
May 26, 2010

The Boosts technically ARE on a timer, because they made the Boost/Titan meter increase over time on the second weekend of the tech test.

And remember that there were only 2 Boosts available in the tech tests. There will be 8 in the full game, and most of them look pretty great. Less people will be running around with Amped Weapons than you think.

runchild
May 26, 2010

limited posted:

Maybe the twist on the Titanfall franchise is like the whole Warhammer 40k thing. Die in combat? Here. let us put you in a GIANT ROBOT.

To be fair, it would be a good excuse why the Titans have personalities now. They're dead pilots who had their brain scanned or whatever. :stare:

That's what Robo-Davy Crockett is, according to the McFarlane toy.

McFarlane Toys posted:

An enigmatic, independent bounty hunter who communicates with clients via proxies, Jester is an experimental IMC Simulacrum, based on a deceased, highly decorated IMC operative who volunteered for the program. Jester does not know he is a Simulacrum, and is programmed to believe he is the original IMC operative, but without any self-awareness of normal human limitations.

The lady robot faction leader is also a Simulacrum but it's not clear if she was a human to start with. Same with the stim-bot player model, too.

runchild
May 26, 2010

V for Vegans posted:

Wait, so is this game not as underwhelming as the beta or have people just accepted that it won't be like the first game?

Combination of both. I think a lot of the negative reaction to the tech test was people instinctively lashing out at anything different. There are still some holdouts who think 3rd person animations or no Titan shields are dealbreakers, but most people have come to accept the changes. On top of that, the changes made after the first weekend (movement adjustments, titan timers) and the reveals of things missing from the tech test (attrition) have rendered a lot of the original concerns obsolete. Plus all the new stuff revealed since then and the date getting closer and closer have naturally increased the hype levels.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Insert name here posted:

I also really want 1st person animations but that's more an aesthetic thing and lol if it's a dealbreaker that stops you from wanting to play the game.

Oh yeah, I love the aesthetic of the consistent first person camera in TF1, and was sad to see it go. But I also understand that the cosmetic customization would lose a lot of it's oomph without third person, and that's especially important when they're taking a risk with free maps and banking on cosmetic DLC instead. And we would have missed out on the Grand Theft Semi-Auto execution without third person so it's an okay trade-off in my book. I doubt it's really gonna stop anyone from getting the game, but it sure isn't gonna stop them from whining about it on r/Titanfall.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

FrostyOmen has said that there is AI in Attrition, Bounty Hunt, and "1 or 2 other modes" but doesn't remember which ones.

I'm reasonably certain AI only appears in those two modes. Frothy must have been having a brain fart if he said that.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Male/female toggle exists but the models aren't as drastically different as they were in the last game.

On top of what Antione said there will also be "Prime" Titan skins later on. Cosmetic overhauls with modified Titan body, sound effects, and execution animation. No gameplay changes though, just visual. You get two of them with the Deluxe edition, but not until December. I assume you'll be able to buy the rest by then, too. Also I'm guessing they'll be real money only, gotta fund those free maps somehow.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Wazzit posted:

Anyone see if there's a menu for stats? Looks like they didn't include anything this time around? TF1 had all kind of stats. :shrug:

Stats page will come in a later update, and Respawn has said they're already tracking everything for when that comes.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't mind microtransactions as long as they don't go the Gears of War 4 route and put everything being an RNG-paywall. Seriously, I'll buy cosmetic poo poo just to play dress-up if I know I'm actually buying the said thing I want and not a "box" that rolls several possible items.

While the Advocate Gifts are "loot box" style rewards, I've seen a dev say that they will never be purchasable with real money. And I've noticed that the camos and such that come from Advocate Gifts can be unlocked with merits so you don't have to wait for random chance to get the one you really want. EDIT: Looks like some AG camos can be bought, others can't. The cosmetics unlocked via challenges can't be bought so you really have to earn them. Seems like they're doing everything right.

runchild fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 28, 2016

runchild
May 26, 2010

discworld is all I read posted:

Only some of them can be purchasable with merits, some are random only.

Whoops, looks like you're right. I edited my previous post. Oh well, I was probably gonna use most of my merits on permanent unlocks anyways. Or probably just hoard them like I tend to do.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Could someone who isn't at work like me remind me what the Mtn Dew Ion warpaint is called? And maybe even take a screenshot? I was surprised at how understated it was for a marketing thing and wanted show a coworker.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Deakul posted:

Huh, I guess they're meant to basically be tanks then.

Pretty much. But they do have boosts! 1 on the medium titans, 2 on the light, and they all have access to a kit that gives them another one, even the heavies. Using boost to effectively move in and out of cover is one of the keys to being effective as a Titan.

runchild
May 26, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

Real talk the Mountain Dew Ion Titan is a pretty dope skin, also, I have a Red Baron skin for Ion and I have no clue how the gently caress I got it but it owns and I hope all of the other Titans have it too.

It is really cool and surprisingly classy for a marketing thing.

runchild
May 26, 2010

I think just playing BF1 on the same account gets you the Red Baron skin, so you could just Redbox it for a night. I'll probably do that sometime but that means a night of not playing TF2.

runchild
May 26, 2010

My "The Next Evolution of Combat is Here" email mentions neither the Shocker nor a Dew and Doritos code. :(

runchild
May 26, 2010

Gunder posted:

Don't you have to press and HOLD melee on a doomed titan? I think just tapping the button will only do a normal punch.

No.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Here's an effective Scorch tactic - throw your canisters in a choke point, ignite them (easier with flame wall than your launcher), then back up around a corner. Most people are idiots and will gently caress themselves up charging through your fire to get to you. When they turn the corner, you're waiting to cook 'em with the flame shield.

Also, hitting something above an enemy pilot can make the thermite rain down on top of them. Useful for pilots behind cover. I've gotten some kills that way that would have made me real mad if I'd been on the receiving end.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Anybody else get this glitch at the beginning of "Trial by Fire?" It persisted even after power cycling my xbone. Warning, campaign spoilers, it's the intro to a pretty late game level.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/runchild/video/23039683

runchild
May 26, 2010

RatHat posted:

Speaking of rodeo, if you can avoid the titan squashing you can you just rodeo the same titan over and over until it dies?

Yep!

runchild
May 26, 2010

It's that bar on the left-to-mid side of the HUD that isn't there with any Titan other than Ion. It recharges over time and is used in everything that isn't her gun's normal fire, even the alt firing mode. It can also recharge from base weapon crits when you have the Entangled Energy Titan kit equipped. And there's another kit that makes tripwire not use it.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Okay, got totally beaten on that energy thing. So here's another tip/answer: not sure about Ronin's boosts cooling down quicker, but Frothy said that activating Sword Core instantly restores your boosts. So use 'em before you activate it, then you can use 'em again.

runchild
May 26, 2010

I saw a tip last night that said electric smoke will put out thermite. I guess it makes sense with the smoke starving the fire of oxygen, but I don't think I would have ever figured it out by myself. Haven't had a chance to test it.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Voliun posted:

Some double XP codes for people who don't want to eat Doritos or drink Mountain Dew.

Thanks! I took the first one after the fourth said it had already been used.

runchild
May 26, 2010

To elaborate on what Orv said, there was no concept of batteries and it didn't force you to jump off. So potentially you could take down a Titan with one rodeo if you stayed on long enough without getting killed. This meant that basically everyone always had electric smoke (which was a loadout choice) or cluster missile (you could shoot it against a wall and then back your Titan into it to kill the enemy pilot). That and 40mm dominance really narrowed down the choices for customization, which is one of multiple reason why I don't mind the preset loadouts of the new Titans and the new rodeo mechanic.

Also, when rodeoing a friendly Titan, you were protected by that Titan's regenerating shield. Overall I don't mind the lack of regenerating shields, but I find it a little disappointing that riding on your buddy's back is much more dangerous now,

runchild
May 26, 2010

I am constantly cursing the MGL's short range. It mostly makes up for it by being able to deal damage while staying out of line of sight, but it makes me miss the old Mag Launcher. The range was definitely better and I think (not 100% sure) it had better bounciness AND magnetiness.

Best AT weapon IMO is hacked charge beam with Amped Wall. It is hilarious to throw a never ending series of lasers into a Titan's face while they futilely try to kill you through your impenetrable shield.

runchild
May 26, 2010

teh_Broseph posted:

Anyone found a use for the fire grenade thing (besides lettin folks know there's a pilot around)? I haven't messed with the grav grenade much, but seems like the arc does kind of the same thing but more. Like TF1 I've settled on pretty much using the arc the whole time.

Throw the Firestar on a Titans face, you'll do decent damage over time while obscuring their vision. Can also be used for area denial (though the electric smoke grenade would do it better.)

Arc grenade may slow and distract an enemy pilot, but Gravity Star also pulls them and any nearby grunts into a "fish in a barrel" situation. Also if you wanna be REALLY fancy with it you can bend your shots over the tops of roofs and stuff.

runchild
May 26, 2010

If you had a dash at all, it worked. Scorch and Legion have no dashes by default.

If you still didn't have one than ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

runchild
May 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure phase shifting into any Titan kills you, because apparently hitting a Reaper does. Which is lame as hell.

runchild
May 26, 2010

FrothyOmen's videos are pretty good way to learn.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Similar issue here. Opening the camo menu seems to take longer either every time I open it or the longer the game has been running. Restarting the game (or maybe the whole Xbox) makes it quick and snappy again. It's never disconnected me though.

runchild
May 26, 2010

You keep the camos you unlocked from pilot level, but everything else is re-locked. Including factions, which is kind of silly. If they're gonna do that then they shouldn't cost 100 credits to unlock.

Also if you got the early Ronin unlock from a Dew or Doritos code than I THINK you still have him, unless I'm misremembering. Unlocking Titans with credits is pretty cheap though, and doesn't take that long via leveling either.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Daztek posted:

It re-locked the level 10/20/30 etc pilot camos for me :shrug:

It did this at first but then it went away. I assume it was from a server-side patch this weekend. It didn't happen until I restarted the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

I am not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure double XP works on your happy hour bonus.

Testing would require NOT doing it one night, but I get like 10 happy hour merits every time I use it.