Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

RobattoJesus posted:

Also Greece is starting to elect Nazis, not "ho ho Trump = Hitler" Nazis, but actual Hitler = Hitler Nazis.

If you haven't noticed, nationalism is on the rise throughout Europe. Poland voted the aptly-named PiS party pretty much on the basis of immigration and they've started media crackdowns, gutting the military, and wooing the Polish Catholic Church (you read that right). And France has had the National Front become more popular in recent years.

One of the major factors has been Russian "soft power" being used with their dwindling cash reserves. Especially after Ukraine and the sanctions imposed, Putin is interested in creating an Europe that is fragmented and more conducive to Russian influence. For example, Putin bankrolled National Front's recent electoral wins and sponsored a nationalist meeting in Crimea to which National Front were guests.

Don't think it couldn't happen in with the Leave parties in this Brexit debate, because Russia has it's reasons to weaken the EU, NATO, and Britain. Also don't think it can't happen in the United States, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Plucky Brit posted:

Well this will be interesting.

If Britain is somehow able to stay in the single market (lol) the economic damage won't be so severe. God knows why the EU would allow that, though; if it happened, I'm pretty sure that other member states would be pushing for the same deal.

What I find most depressing is that I heard the same bogus arguments for leaving being a good thing during the Scottish Independence referendum. It seemed pretty easy to counter them with "your economy will loving tank you idiots". Strange that people this time around believe it will be a mild recession at worst, when conceivably this could be a great depression.

RIP Cameron. Losing EU membership and Scotland is a hell of a legacy.

North Ireland doesn't looks so hot either.

Peztopiary posted:

You know that cartoon with the British flag as a beautiful butterfly coming out of the EU box? Had the artist zoomed out a little bit the webbing full of country shaped blobs stuck in it would have shown up. Had they zoomed out further, two enormous spiders (one red, white, and blue the other red with a yellow star) would have appeared. We're going to have you now, US or China, and neither has forgotten nor forgiven.

More like three, Russia's had it out for Britain for awhile, especially since their American's oldest and bestest buddy, and anything that weakens the EU is good for Putin so he can return to Russia to it's former glory through a conquering (or at least militarily or economically intimidating) a divided Europe.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

nobody does whining as well and satisfying as neoliberals

corbyn 2020: because one of these countries deserves a bernie

The opposition parties are looking for Corb to resign, so I don't think he'll be PM anytime soon.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Retro Access posted:

I'm married to an immigrant. I spent two years working 18 hours in two jobs to sponsor the UK spousal visa. Ran myself ragged and left the UK when my husband's parents very loving generously waved a visa sponsorship at me.

My entire family knew all this poo poo and voted "leave."

I only found out this loving morning.

Our only way back into the UK, or to have stayed there in the first place was via european law.

I feel like I have had my heart torn out. I didn't know them at all and they sure as gently caress knew nothing about me.

Just imagine the schadenfreude you'll have when they inevitably come begging to stay with you because PM Boris cut the dole because the country can't make ends meet and there's no good paying jobs because foreign companies stopped investing there and the Scots have all the oil and fish now. Then, you deny them their visa.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

From ze Germans regarding Brexit...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

www posted:

why are people using the reason "THE CUTS" for voting out, ive heard* it a couple of times from the media now

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/746323983918858240

Essentially, the Brexiters said they would have to cut benefits to make that 350 million pound membership due to the EU and that would be better used to prop up the National Health.

And now they're going back on that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

wit posted:

Because

TBF, with the economy tanking, benefit cuts, and the NHS being gutted, I don't think the over 65 crowd will live that long.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dog buttz posted:

my crazy Jim Bakker loving parents told me that the EU would be the one world government the antichrist would lead so either england is about to be entirely destroyed or they'll rejoin the EU

You just reminded me, what's Lyndon LaRouche's take on this?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Philthy posted:

When Trump said Americans can get their independence in November, he meant the red states can all finally secede.

Texas secessionists are already trying to lobby Greg Abbott for a "Texit" referendum.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

That's the point, the questions are ambiguous so they can always say you passed or failed depending on whether you passed the actual test (the one involving a paper bag)

That last question they put on the first page is really misleading because they ask "more than 20 but less than 30" and drop the number 20 in there as a trick. I'm pretty sure whether marking the 20 being wrong or right would be the administrator's prerogative.

By the way, Boris gave a speech. A real interesting speech about "let's not be hasty with this" and "UK will also be Europe". You'd think he voted Remain or Stronger In by the tone and content of the speech.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36620139

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ivor Biggun posted:

All Boris wanted to do was become the PM, now he's worried that tanking the economy to get there might have been a step too far.

I'm imagining that Boris is that guy from John Carpenter's The Thing, who declines to take over as leader of the outpost because he knows subconsciously that he's the monster.

gannyGrabber posted:

The economy is gonna be OK guys.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...2%BD-year-high/

Lol at people taking their money from one island sinking in to the ocean and transferring it to another island sinking in to the ocean.

Britain is a shithole due to the Tories, Russia's on a tear, and now Japan's booming! Holy poo poo guys, the '80s are back!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Brannock posted:

I don't think it's that unbelievable that a lot of people intending to lodge protest votes would backpedal on it once it turned out that a majority of people were lodging protest votes and it became no longer a protest vote but actual direction on policy for their nation

Goddamn it, never protest vote like seriously. We're having enough trouble with Bernie-Or-Busters considering to vote Trump as a protest against Hilary or the DNC. Hold your nose and vote Hilary, vote Green or Libertarian depending on your convictions, stay home, or even vote Trump if you actually believe in his platform, but doing it just because you're a goddamn childish baby throwing a tantrum because you can't get what you want is just going to get you in more trouble than you actually want and that's what a lot of these people voted Brexit are realizing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lichy posted:

sorry that was a typo meant to say it annexes

More like "annexes everything it wants to annex and economically intimidates whatever it can't annex by shutting off the natural gas pipelines".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

corpuscollossus posted:

Looks like panic to me. I honestly don't think he'd fully appreciated the smell of his own farts until the result came in.

That speech is interesting because he's totally conciliatory toward the Remain faction but never once celebrates Leave and any time he does mention it, he brings up the Brexit will take time and UK should not rush it and be hasty about it. It's like he's giving a concession speech.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Heath posted:

texit related: is there literally any factor in texas leaving the US that wouldn't improve the US dramatically at the expense of our worst citizens?

Plenty. Mostly defense-related, since Texas Instruments, Bell Helicopter, and that big nuclear weapons plant Pantex are located there. And while Lockheed Martin and Raytheon might be headquartered in Maryland and Massachusetts, they have major plants throughout the state. I'd imagine the Department of Defense would rather keep all that without having to renegotiate for parts for the armed forces and the State Department would like to keep them inside the US for ITAR and EAR reasons.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

khwarezm posted:

(notracist)

Remember when you look at these images, Britain wasn't a member of the Schengen agreement.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

What if we split Texas into smaller states?

You'd get at least 4 Democratic Senators instead of just Republican lock on the 2 Senate seats as it is, depending on how you split it. Also, Texas' congressional map is so biased toward Republicans because of gerrymandering that splitting it into four separate states would completely wipe that slate clean.

4outof5 posted:

Don't worry man they are pros at prostrating themselves on the alter of political correctness even when it endangers their own citizens:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal

by the end of the week next week they will have decided that they just won't actually vote on it and play stupid.

I'm sure 5 Pakistanis are more of a threat than the Tory party, who enabled Jimmy Saville, Rolf Harris, and even had their own child sex abuse ring going on for decades.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

steady posted:

They weren't doing too badly, it was just a lot of whining about immigrants (incidentally they bitched about Polish migrants who were doing menial lovely jobs they wouldn't do, but moochers from ex-colonies were OK) and the "terrible hegemony" of EU (read Germany) sucking their hard-earned monies to fund backward shitholes like Romania (never mind that two regions where majority of Leavers were are North England and Wales, the poorest regions of UK who depend on government and EU subsidies).

Which is also hilarious because Romania works hard to maintain it's membership in the EU. It's probably the least corrupt country out of the former Soviet states, largely because of EU mandates regarding corruption. They don't have the oligarch problem like places like Ukraine have. They even have this anti-corruption police that has it's own COPS-like TV show, except instead of busting poor people for minor offenses, it's rich folks and politicians getting frog-marched into squad cars for bribes and kickbacks.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Archer666 posted:

No you see its because the EU wants an army and the citizens didn't elect anyone in the EU!

That's hilarious because the EU already have one. It's called NATO. It's headquartered in Belgium and Turkey's even a member of it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

So what the gently caress are they actually going to do with all that money? Tax cuts for the rich I assume?

Yep, followed by benefit cuts and privatization because of "austerity".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ape Fist posted:

Honestly the image is basically correct.,

:agreed:

Cameron might have stuck his dick in a pig, but he's not going to put it in that trap. Putting onus on the Leavers to initiate Article 50 is probably a smart move if he hadn't painted himself into that corner in the first place. I can also understand it that he doesn't want the disintegration of the United Kingdom, the collapse of the British economy, or the Troubles starting back up again to be his fault, it's now the other guy's. All that poo poo is going to happen on Boris' watch, now. He gets to own that poo poo.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

EU has every excuse to gently caress Britain's poo poo up and make an example of for those who try to follow

Also, true. I don't see Britain remaining in the EU without major concessions on their part. EU has every right to kick them to the curb. It would be hilarious if UK has to become a party to the Schengen agreement in order to remain or re-enter the EU.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

opus111 posted:

She's just posturing. Technically Brexit couldn't happen because only 25% of parliament want it to happen and it has to get through them first. However, the people have spoken so politicians have to at least be seen going through with it. The greatest chance of Brexit not happening is it being quietly shelved by the new government, which is unlikely to happen.

Also, with the EU talking to her and other Scottish parliamentarians, it's unlikely they'll go for it. They've got Britain's balls in a vice in regards to a new independence referendum and the EU will likely treat them favorably if the Scots decide to crush them. They have nothing really to gain if they decide to veto Brexit.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wrecked Angle posted:

The thing with the Scottish position and the whole idea of a 2nd Scottish referendum is that it assumes that if Scotland left the UK that they would be welcomed into the EU with open arms.

Like, I can see the Scottish liking the idea of 'let's get out of the UK and replace all the support the rest of the UK gives us with support from the EU' but is it an appealing idea for the rest of the EU in any way which isn't just 'gently caress you England'? Not so much.

The biggest thing an independent Scotland would gain is control of the North Sea mineral and fishing rights.

Zohar posted:

Since people keep repeating this meme, more Remain voters are revising their opinions than Leave voters according to the ComRes survey published last night.

Could you post a link to this, because it doesn't show on the ComRes website or their twitter feed?

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 26, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

etalian posted:

Scotland is a rich white country so joining the EU makes sense.

Why do you think God-Emperor Trump deigned to put a golf course there instead of in England proper or Wales?

etalian posted:

BRICS aren't rising especially after the whole recent commodity reaches.

China is a house of cards, Russia will probably have a decade of recession due to the oil crash/wild foreign policy, Brazil is a huge mess and only India will probably have positive growth over the next few years.

Russia also has an imploding population while India and China have each 1 billion and Brazil is the fifth largest population in the world, just after America and Indonesia.

Eonwe posted:

nigel farage seems like someone you'd see in V for Vendetta

like, some dude who just straight up lies to everyone, doesn't feel bad about it all, and just manipulates everyone to keep power

...and ends up getting his head blown off by a dispirited person his politics has betrayed or shivved in a garage by some Scots.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 26, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Actually, for it to be an accurate summary of what happened, on his third try, he would have tried to doused the flag with gasoline and end up setting himself on fire.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

I think you will discover the problem is that slavs aren't white. Technically only the English and French are white. Eastern europeans and russians don't count. Neither do the Irish. And now that I think about it, the French are a little iffy.

This is one of the great ironies, isn't it? Globalism and the EU made all Europeans "white", from Iceland and Spain to the Baltics and Greece, but once those nations don't have that have European unity and on their own, they resort to the old nationalisms and, well, Slavs, Irish, and Italians, etc., aren't "white" anymore.

GeneX posted:

Ah, yes, the russians make great pals

Yeah, no poo poo. The Russians did horrible poo poo to their buffer states to keep them in their sphere of influence. The Warsaw Pact was less a mutual defense organization like NATO and more of Russia's cannon fodder if it ever came to WW3. Poland itself took a lot of poo poo, with Russia never admitting to the Katyn massacre, to the Wujek Polish miners' strike where 9 strikers died in a commando-style raid, the two year martial law period following that strike where 100s of activists where disappeared. Once the Iron Curtain was in collapse following the Berlin Wall, Poland was the first to leave and everyone else split soon after.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 27, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

I've actually heard alt right people make this argument in reverse. The only reason the Warsaw pact was lovely was because the Soviet Union was communist. If it had been like Russia under Putin then everything would have been great.

The thing is this has been standard operating procedure since the Czars. It's like the moment someone steps into the Kremlin, they start thinking they're an Emperor and continue the old traditions, no matter where they came from.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Conservative MEP and "Leave" proponent Daniel Hannan just claimed on Newsnight that "we never said there was going to be some radical decline" when it comes to immigration.

From the New Stateman...

quote:

It was the Leave campaign's pledge to reduce EU immigration that won it the referendum. But Daniel Hannan struck a rather different tone on last night's Newsnight. "It means free movement of labour," the Conservative MEP said of the post-Brexit model he envisaged. An exasperated Evan Davis replied: “I’m sorry we’ve just been through three months of agony on the issue of immigration. The public have been led to believe that what they have voted for is an end to free movement."

Hannan protested that EU migrants would lose "legal entitlements to live in other countries, to vote in other countries and to claim welfare and to have the same university tuition". But Davis wasn't backing down. "Why didn't you say this in the campaign? Why didn't you say in the campaign that you were wanting a scheme where we have free movement of labour? Come on, that's completely at odds with what the public think they have just voted for."

Hannan concluded: "We never said there was going to be some radical decline ... we want a measure of control". Your Mole suspects many voters assumed otherwise. If immigration is barely changed, Hannan and others will soon be burned by the very fires they stoked.

BTW, the petition for a revised referendum is now at 3.5 million signatures.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

jadebullet posted:

Actually, way back in the day in the US, when we were trying to figure out who counted as "white" for the purposes of the "white males only" aspect of voting, the Irish were not included in that, and we're actually compared to African Americans, to the point that some lawmaker essentially said that if we aren't letting African Americans count as white, how can we possibly let the Irish count. (Paraphrased, of course)

There were apparently lots of trials over this issue, and there were lots of odd decisions about who was, in fact, "white."

Isn't political racism fun.

Another reason why Irish and Italians, and it probably extends to Hispanics as well, is that they're Catholics. America's a Christian nation, if you haven't heard, but it has always favored Calvinist Protestant Christianity of the Chosen People and not that mystery religion where you do good deeds to get into Heaven. Even when Kennedy was elected, he had to fight allegations that he was receiving his orders from Vatican City, like all good Papists do.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blacktoll posted:

No, they'll speak to us in English. You all will just be tapping the window from the outside looking in.

Only winner countries get the privilege of being spoken to in their own language, losers have to speak in the tongue of the winners. At least they'll be a market for interpreters in post-Brexit England.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Roylicious posted:

Pf don't pretend like the whole world doesn't talk English and trade in US dollars.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

Did Boris ever get rid of the bendy busses in London?

He did, but I hear that they'll be making a comeback when England enters into Damnation Alley.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Klyith posted:

if you think about it, the number of english immigrants would have been pretty low after independence -- and there was a relatively tiny (euro) population in the US at the time. plus a bunch that weren't even english, like all the dutch in NY or the Scots-Irish* that are in the south appalachians. english colonization of the new world was an economic activity, not a migration of people fleeing war or famine.

*kentucky & tennessee just mark themselves as "american" in the census because they don't really have personal ties to that identity it's been so long. It's like, there's tiny remnants of accent, and some bluegrass songs are decedents of old gaelic traditional songs

I was going to bring that up, that "American" sure can be swapped out for Scots-Irish. Also, Scots-Irish aren't really Irish, because I believe the term they use in England is Ulster Scots, which are basically those Orangemen protestant guys you hear about in Northern Ireland causing poo poo along with their opponents, the Irish Catholic IRA.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm German/Irish and I'm in one of the spots of "American" in a sea of "African American". I think it's more of a general 'where you were born' thing in the south.

E: but my loving God the number of white people with like a fraction of Native American and tout that poo poo up down here.

Big joke: unless you can actually prove your connection to a Native American tribe, like have a known American Indian in your genealogy, and not just hearsay of your parents saying you have a "Cherokee princess" or some bullshit, odds are you're not really part Native American but really an African American. The whole "Indian princess" bullshit was really popular in the South as a way of explaining the dark-skinned children of white women, either the product of slave rape or generating male heirs to prevent plantations from reverting ownership to the husband's family instead of the wife.

BTW, on actual BREXIT talk, someone on Pornhub added Boris Johnson's speech to the site under the title "DUMB BRITISH BLONDE FUCKS 15 MILLION PEOPLE AT ONCE".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Roylicious posted:

That too.

To be fair idk why voting isn't done in an easier manner (at least in the USA dunno about the UK I guess). CA is one of the only states that lets you do a mail in ballot without a real reason (others will only do that if you are disabled/military or something like that).

Make it more convenient to vote and I promise turn out will increase, especially in groups who aren't retired and devoid of anything to do in their free time.

Yeah, but there's one party that actively working against voter turnout because if it happened, they would probably never win an election except in the hardest of hardcore districts.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

hookr you loving morons

how are you going to disrupt nightwalking with an innovative app-based e-solution if you can't even get the branding right

Wrong, this is UK only, it has to be £Her.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

hemophilia posted:

You can't even admit that a simple majority shouldn't be able to drag a nearly full half of the country that was in opposition to this into this situation that will affect everyone, and the children of everyone. You can't accept that because you only barely got an outcome you wanted. Do you know what a Pyrrhic victory is? If you get your way, that's what this is. If the UK left with a supermajority, united in their will to leave the EU, that would be different. Instead you're probably going to lose scotland, and North Ireland is going to move that way too. The emprie is dead and England isn't that useful scotland to the world without scotland's oil fields. A brexit would rear end-gently caress your finance sector, which employs basically everyone and pays off the pensions of the dying old people that voted for this.

so lol just lol I can't believe you're clinging to the idea that a 2% lead in a non binding vote is an ACTUAL mandate. If your government weasels out of this, and it should, and probably will, i just want you to understand why- And that's because 2% of the country doesn't get to dictate a decision of this magnitude.

It takes a supermajority to get anything important or with permanence like a constitutional amendment or admitting a state* in the United States. You would think something that has that much of an effect on the nation as a whole would require a supermajority.

*technically, enabling or allowing admission requires an act of Congress, but in almost all cases, they had clear supermajorities backed up popular votes in the soon-to-be-state territory.

Also, don't forget Wales has been talking about their own independence referendum despite voting to Leave following all the news about Scotland and North Ireland.

Moridin920 posted:

ITT a bunch of brexit brits try to claim they aren't racist, even though the only real tangible bit of the 'leave' campaign's promises is now 'we're gonna close the borders'

sure you're not racist, you're just xenophobic morons

They don't even get that, because now they're not in any position to dictate to the EU how to handle immigration.

Velkest posted:

Britain pays more money into the EU than it gets, just like France and Germany. That's british money in the first place.

now if you're arguing that being in the EU would force a Tory government to spend british tax money on its own people, fair enough. That shouldn't apply, theoretically, to a Labour government though. (But then again seems like most social democrat parties all over europe are all about that neoliberalism.)

btw i don't know that much about the finer points of british politics, as i am not from the uk.

Tell me again how the Leavers are going to use that £350 million a week that they were going to send to the EU to fund NHS. That's always a good joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA3XTYfzd1I

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 2, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hammerite posted:

I want to see a general election after the two main parties have both finished sorting their poo poo out, and before article 50 is actually triggered (then parties can campaign on the basis of whether they would actually trigger it, and on how they would negotiate if they would)

it won't happen, but it should

Someone needs to get the Queen to dissolve Parliament if no one can get this poo poo done by the time Cameron leaves. Cameron could have done it, but gently caress the Lib Dems for their fixed-term nonsense.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

blowfish posted:

yes, thatcher bad

Actually, Thatcher was responsible for the rebate on those EU membership dues. It's why the UK never actually paid that "£350 million per week" lauded by Farage, Johnson, and the rest of the Leave faction, it was an instant rebate.

You can bet that's loving gone.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mein Eyes! posted:

yeah the british deal with the EU was far far FAR better than anything that will be worked out under any other situation, including a rejoin of the eu

tis a pity

It was hard-fought compromise. Thatcher actually wanted a 100% rebate while the French really wanted to give them only 50% at most. When she secured 66%, Thatcher cried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

jBrereton posted:

Mmm not really.

Lot of left-wing people are attending "hey my part of the country didn't vote for this poo poo" protests. You'll see people with banners like "you hosed our future" being held up by people who don't understand that the government's climbdown on austerity after this vote means there's probably going to be (relatively) more funding for things that are currently being tanked like education and local government which tends to have more flexible employment hours and better creche facilities than a lot of private industry for parents, esp. mums (and if there's restriction on free movement, although I don't expect there actually will be, it's going to be imperative that education gets more funding priority because firms won't just be able to bring someone educated for 22 years on someone else's coin).

What "climbdown on austerity"? Not unless the Tories are removed from power and that's not going to happen unless poo poo really hits the fan and the Queen intervenes (thanks Lib Dems). Even Team Vote Leave has backpedaled away from all their promises of funding the NHS or reinvesting that money elsewhere with the now freed-up EU contribution.

• Locked thread