Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.

Forzelt posted:

Steamroller this weekend and I cannot decide on a pairing. So let's have the magic of SA democracy decide among:

1. L2/Abby1: Abby has an archangel, which is cool and awesome
2. L2/Rhyas1: because assassination is the best win condition
3. Harkevich: because a kodiak cloudwall is mindless for me but not my opponent and **** them

1, for Dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Friendly Fire posted:

It's a 20" bubble(+ his base size). That's big enough to keep most of your stuff contesting in just about any scenario without being too bunched up.

Add in the Runebearer and it's a 24" bubble, unless they removed Arcane Repeater.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

In the new No Quarter, the protectorate is on the verge of civil war and about to pull out of the Northern Crusade.
Last I checked, they were cleaning house up there, so I suspect I've missed all the books.

Is there some resource we've got to keep track of the lore now that it's all Skull Island?

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

rantmo posted:

I'm reading Grymkin book and it's giving me flashbacks to old-school White Wolf Vampire books from the 90's and not in the most flattering way.

I got more of a Liber Chaotica vibe myself. I could see this if we were comparing it to the Book of Cain, though. There's not enough crunch in there for it to be a splatbook.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Fyrbrand posted:

I'm way too lazy to post all the new stuff but goddamn:

So many nerdboners

They fixed the claws!

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

I've been looking at this for a while. What are the great novels? Should I just get the $15 tier?

I used to be into 40k/Black Library fiction, but I wanna check out Iron Kingdoms stuff.

The two Malcontents books are glorious, I've heard nothing but glowing reviews from the Butcher of Khardov, and Instruments of War made me want to start collecting Skorne.
Since the Malcontents themselves come out to 16$ on Kindle... I gotta say it's worth it. Not bad coupons if you're looking to start the game, too.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Generally, the exchange rate is something close to the cost of the model for general painting. You might want to put up a few of your pieces to get an idea. Personally, I've painted for supplies before, and this is a big figure. I'd start the bidding at an airbrush and compressor if you don't already have one.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Harkano posted:

Vinter died?

Tbf. Major deaths would require them to put out some fluff for a non Cygnar faction. I wanted Novels to supplement rulebook fluff, not replace it entirely.

Sevvy too, it looks like.

Have we gotten any new rulebooks since the core ones? I thought the Army books were just unit stats and themes as far as rules go; nothing like Apotheosis or Legends.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Archenteron posted:

For all the dubious cheesecake promo models in the PP Lootbox, the female Totem Hunter actually looks... good?

Yup. Just wish she'd got the same armor as the old model so I didn't have to greenstuff some thigh plates and belly armor.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

I take back everything I said about the plastic. Everything was pretty okay (some mold lines, some bubble pits, nothing too major) until I tried assembling my Khador Decimator - one of the shoulder areas cooled at a slower rate than the rest of the model or something and isn't actually any kind of straight line, so there's a giant gap between the torso and part of the shoulder pad. I've gotten it a little better just by shaving from both the shoulder pad and the torso with a razor, but I think I'm going to have to wait until my Vallejo Plastic Putty gets here to actually glue the bastard in - the seam is right in a place where it'd be a pain trying to work putty in after gluing due to the armor plates. Bah.

e: not to come off as a Robot Pervert but anyone got shots of nicely painted warjacks from behind? Surprisingly hard to find reference photos and it's like....are there three little lines running off the side of that circular hatch, or two and a mold line?

Did you specifically need goon jacks? 'cuz PP's gallery has a rotational image for each jack and most of the models.

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/khador/warjacks/decimator

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

S.J. posted:

There are going to be a lot of Gypsy Danger, etc, robots flying around in this game.

Pff. Cherno Alpha for Great Justice, Comrade!

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

S.J. posted:

Thanks. That paint job is loving outstanding.

I concur; it's hard to recognize as a miniature. How'd you do the faded paint for the trollkin logo? I'm guessing some manner of blood sacrifice?

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

!Klams posted:

I do feel like this can't really be stressed enough. Like it's not an absolutely perfect situation, but it's close enough that you can say this and no one will argue with you. Which is basically unheard of?

Case in point, I often play with two units of high shields, which are widely regarded as the worst unit in the game, and it's still fun and close fought.

I am clearly doing something terribly wrong with my Long Gunners and Sword Knights.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Maneck posted:

Nix that "at first" qualifier. The above is actually from a redone version of the first rule book. Circa 2006.

The conversation about "marketing an aggressive game" versus "insulting more than half of your potential customers for no reason" must have come some time between then and the second edition.

Page 5 was kind of a meme in Mark 1; every anthology book had one. I think the Pirates book didn't get it... and maybe Legends?

It was a big enough deal there were threads complaining about it's absence during Mark II's launch.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

TotalHell posted:

I don't suppose anyone here is doing any mystery box swapping? There was nothing in SA Mart so I figured I'd ask to see who else indulged in getting a box.

PM'd.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

albany academy posted:

how much are the gale force nine tins worth these days? the ones with the dice only

Ebay suggests... 65$?
I think I saw a Cygnar set for 100$, though. They're rare and collector items, though, so they can go for quite a bit. This does assume the dice are included.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

I'm down for some storymachine.

My first unit in Cygnar was the old school trenchers. In that team, two soldiers distinguished themselves over any other; Gearkrieg and Kenny.

Kenny would do anything to save his fellow trenchers, as long as it involved getting hit by an AOE. If there was an AOE, he'd jump on it. Even if he was dug in. Especially when he was dug in. He'd just grab 'em out of the air.

Gearkrieg got his name for his specialty in stalling warjacks. A jack charges him, it will miss. Every attack. And then, with a god damned trench knife, he'd always land a hit and score at least 1 point on the jack. It only worked on defense; Gearkrieg could never land a charge, and if the jack was standing still it could squish him just fine.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Kinda fits... this is post Infernals, and they got a chunk of souls. The soulless condition could be more widespread.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Majkol posted:

So, uh, I own a sizable ret army. Will I be able to play mk4 using the miniatures I currently own?

Signs point to eventually.

Mark IV has options to play Legacy models (that is, stuff from MK III and earlier) but currently there's a lot of stuff that simply doesn't have rules. Privateer has said everything is supposed to at some point, but this entire thread has become a testiment to their hubris.

The plan is to have two modes; Prime and Unlimited. Prime will allow smaller subsets of legacy factions; basically themes for list building without bonuses. Right now, you've got Legions of Dawn, for example. Mage Hunters aren't options yet. This looks to be the method of play PP wants league to be, as they're supposed to be 'balanced.' Unlimited is Legacy only, everything from a given faction is fair game.

It does look like if you were into Strange Bedfellows or Flames in the Dark, you're SOL.

The Warmachine App is in open release on Android and Iphone. Rules, cards, and 6 local save slots are free; fluff and unlimited cloud saves are 5$/mo. It's listed as Warmachine App.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

There were a few.
Into the Storm and Into the Wild (Larry Correia) are personal favorites. Both pieces focus on a unit of Stormblades fighting in a war.
Everyone who's read The Butcher of Khardov (Dan Wells) has praised it. Very much a character piece, firmly establishes who Orsus was and what remains.
Intruments of War (Larry Correia) sold me on the Skorne as a faction. Basically Butcher of Khardov, but for Makeda and the Skorne.
I liked The Way of Caine (Mile Holmes.) Again, a character piece, this one covers Caine's growth into a CRS agent, and his era defining work in Llael.
Dark Convergence (Dave Gross) was the first narrative interaction between Cygnar and the Convergence. It does a very good job of establishing just why they're not going to work together.
At What Cost (Doug Seacat) had my favorite bit of gonzo lore, and manages to make it pretty grounded.

I've only really heard complaints about Mutagenesis.