Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Council By-election results are so swingy they arn't that much use except in large numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Fash got hosed in Southampton

Good to hear: I forgot that it was this morning and didn't go to the demo :(

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Great speech thanks for linking it up.

And yeah, it's not like the coup plots have been a secret - they could have learned about them by reading the drat papers.

What IS interesting to know is that they had a person on the inside of the coup plotters' meetings. I do wonder who.

Burnham is a True Loyalist.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Firos posted:

Education is actually one of those things where no, yeah just throw money at it and it would actually straight up improve things in most regards.

Not that there isn't better ways to use that money: But in general the more staffing you throw at teaching the better it gets. You get diminishing returns pretty quickly once classes get below 20ish, and training teachers better is more effective than having more of them. But money always helps.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

What does 'charterize' mean in this context? (Don't know much about UK politics or systems generally)

The term is from America, where "Charter schools" are privately run schools with less oversight ran by private bodies (and they can be selective aswell)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Assuming that he - or any of us - survive a fast general election and 4-5 years of Prime Minister May with a solid Commons majority.

12 MPs does not make a solid majority

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

David Davis says that Blair deceived the house, and asks what can be done about it.

Cameron ignores the question and blows him off :(

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tory benches are quite empty at the moment.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

On the point of new labour members not being very active. I can say that in my ward, I was the only new activist to turn up regularly to canvassing since the loss in 2015, but the branch meetings have had alot more members than usual (most noticeable directly after Corbyns election to the leadership)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Unless the increase in membership actually gets out and help, by knocking on doors, phonebanking, etc. Not much, beyond the increased income. And I haven't seen that many of the new members out campaigning (if you get an email about canvassing in your area: go, the people are lovely and friendly and it does make you feel like you're doing something to help.)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

This is the problem I have with canvassing: in my local area it owuld mostly be preaching to the converted. How does that actually help?

By making people realise that Labour is still around, caring and listening to people. If your areas pretty labour, it means you'll have some local councilors who might be canvassing with you, and people often have problems they want to bring to them (and then be ungrateful afterwards). And by getting your foot in the door with your local party, you get more involved in helping with other things, other nearby areas etc.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

Gove's time at MoJ was... weird. We all know what he did at the DoE, but every policy I heard about while he was at justice was surprisingly decent and rehabilitation focused. Did the bad stuff just not get covered, or was this a stopped clock situation?

For one, he was following up Grayling, and even Gove can't be worse than Grayling.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Does the Commons have to vote on holding a snap election?

Yep, because of fixed term parliament act.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

As anything else to do with Parliament, a majority of MPs can repel the FTPA (or call no confidence) and allow a GE to be called. I don't think there's room on the parliamentary schedule for this to happen before the summer recess, so October GE at earliest.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

What would be the optics if May calls for an early election and it fails because Labour vote against?

I could see it falling either as "May is defeated on her first motion to the house" or "Labour are too chicken to contest an election". Honestly the latter seems more likely to me, and even if it's uncertain it seems like a fair gamble for May to take.

Won't happen: Tories can revoke the FTPA with a majority, so don't need to bother with Labour support.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

ukle posted:

You are due an awakening, if you start to become and active member of the Lib Dem's. I used to be but the kind of talk locally from the senior members after the start of the coalition made me quit, they were all mini Cleggs who thought was better to be in power than actually keep to the promises. They now appear to me to be a lot like the worst parts of the PLP.

I hear that from a friend of mine who got involved in Lib Dem council politics: He got roped in to standing for a seat, won it, and a few months later hates the entire party.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Miftan posted:

Just joined the Labour party an hour ago. Can I still vote for Corbs if I cough up 25 pounds?

Yes

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

You can actually take back article 50 once you begin negotiates, according to the legal review done for the House of Lords. So you can invoke article 50, negotiate a exit deal, send it to referendum, and then uninvoke article 50 if it comes back a no.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

namesake posted:

I don't think the EU would stand for that kind of brinkmanship bullshit to be honest.

They might not stand for it, but (legally) its possible.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

namesake posted:

You can't just slam down a legal opinion from the HoL like a trump card. Every indication from the EU is that the UK is on a course to exit; everyone will be mentally adjusted to an exit, businesses will be making plans for exit, the other EU states politics will be shaped by the expectation of the UK leaving. Going right to the very end of this hard process and then just going 'Nope!' will do the UK no favours at all. There's no legal precedent for this so you're relying on politics and good relations with the other European states; we don't have those and won't have those, so hoping that a EU court rules in our favour after pulling stunts like that is absolutely crazy.

Seriously, the referendum was a bad idea with worse execution but you've got to get on board for fighting for the best possible terms of an exit rather than throwing everything away on a vague hope of not getting kicked out of the EU.

I'm not saying it would be a good idea, or one that would go down well. But given that A. Its really hard to expel members from the EU and B. The legal opinion is in that direction, that it is possible for Smith to promise a referendum on a deal as a promise that a labour government in power could plausibly keep.

I agree we should just get on with trying to get the best exit terms and not try to go back, but it is a feasible opinion a opposition or government could take.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Genetic posted:

Having just joined the Labour party for pretty obvious national-economic-suicide related reasons, while I wait for my membership pack to arrive I'm wondering what else there is to be done. I mean, I've signed up, I will vote with my conscience and if I have to pay money to do it I guess I will.

My question is, to the clearly more politically aware than I people in this thread... What more can I do? Honest question, I'd like to stop being apathetic about this get more involved and help fix... Whatever the hell it is exactly that is happening to the UK's leadership that causes sporadic insanity. Any suggestions?

Well, I would tell you to get involved in your local labour party, join cavassing sessions if you are informed about them etc...

Buuuuut all of that was just cancelled by the NEC, so apart from waiting till the election is over and voting out all the blairite fuckers there's not much you can do, beyond try and argue and promote the labour party and tell people how poo poo the Tories are in your daily life (which may be a bit of an echo chamber).

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Thundercloud posted:

It's to prevent motions of no confidence and AGMs, because lol at any Blairite committees staying in power at the moment.

And it means executive committees will appoint delegates to conference, not CLPs, which means no democratic vote. It means Blairite CLPs will appoint conference delegates.

Except meetings for "Meetings solely for the purpose of making a supporting nomination in the leadership contest and for essential Annual Conference business", which I think includes meetings to nominate delegates to the Annual Conference. So its only no-confidence motions they are trying to avoid, not annual conference delegates nomiation.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Sanford posted:

So who am I meant to be voting for in the NEC elections? I have zero knowledge of the candidates, and the branch meeting to discuss who's who is now cancelled, so...

Go to the momentum website, they have a slate

EDIT: or read the above effortpost

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Article 50 might be revocable on change of government or referendum result, depending on the legalities. For one, it would be silly for someone to win an election on a promise to not leave the EU, and then the EU tell them they have to leave because of the previous government. We'll probably end up leaving regardless, but its not a certainly once article 50 is invoked.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

This is also sheer fantasy. Once article 50 is invoked anything that the U.K. does is irrelevant, because the EU sure as gently caress isn't going to let you walk it back. There isn't anything silly about this, it's simply how bilateral agreements work. You don't get to unilaterally change the rules just because you as a country change your mind.

I'm sorry for taking the word of A House of Lords report on the brexit process over a stranger on the internet.

Professor Wyatt, Oxford law professor and expert in EU law posted:

"There is nothing in the wording to say that you cannot. It is in accord
with the general aims of the Treaties that people stay in rather than rush
out of the exit door. There is also the specific provision in Article 50
to the effect that, if a State withdraws, it has to apply to rejoin de novo.
That only applies once you have left. If you could not change your mind
after a year of thinking about it, but before you had withdrawn, you
would then have to wait another year, withdraw and then apply to join
again. That just does not make sense. Analysis of the text suggests that
you are entitled to change your mind"

Whether it is a good idea is another matter, but the legalities are that its definitely an option.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's not, actually.

So what the Daily Mail have done here is to hear "as used in [places in the far east]" and conflated the Mastery Approach with their stereotype of eastern mathematics education.

There are some things in (certainly very low level) mathematics that can be taught by rote, yes, but that's not what the Mastery Approach is; it's an approach based on the use of high quality text books and lots of in-class discussion.

It does have downsides - most notably that it requires dramatically more work by the teacher outside the classroom (and with their colleagues) because it's much more reactive to the needs of students. (As an aside, this is one of the main reasons why education outcomes tend to be better in places like Singapore - teachers have more time to do out-of-classroom preparation.)

It's almost like the way to have a better education system is make sure teachers are highly trained, paid well, and arn't overworked, as opposed to there being one cure-all teaching method!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Who, exactly, is the official responsible for suspending all these CLPs? And how could we replace them?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The labour party just made nearby 4 million pounds in three days. Thats one way to raise money, I guess.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Spangly A posted:

UKC is loving evil tbf, they refused an inflation pay rise for 3 years forcing the staff on strike, then cried about how they couldn't afford it while each of the chancellors gave themselves a £250k pay raise. They also have a scheme whereby they organise students to clean houses for minimum wage. The houses that the university is given fees to present to student renters by local estate agents. They gagged and fired all dissent during the strike, forcing the papers to print pseudo-anonymous articles by simpsons characters.

It also has the highest prostitution rate of all universities, first by a loving massive outlier.

I suddenly want to see a table of university prostitution rates, because that is the weirdest piece of data to collect for universities nationwide (and not exactly something that goes on league tables)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Do y'all not do phonebanking in normal elections?

Most activistism revolves around actually knocking on peoples doors and talking to them, since our country is actually walkable.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

What exactly a "Trigger ballot" is is'nt actually defined anywhere in Labour's legal documents or paperwork anywhere, so no-one is actually sure what that process is. It might just be a vote in the CLP (which is good for those CLP's whose membership wants to throw out their MP: eg Eagle)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

More importantly: to call a GE requires revoking the FTPA or a vote of no confidence, and there is only one week of parliamentary business before the leadership election is over, due to the summer and conference recesses. Revoking needs to go through the Lords, so can't happen in a week, and calling no confidence on your own government for the sake of a early GE looks really weird and takes two weeks from the vote to fire anyways.

So: she can't actually call one until after party conference season even if she tried thanks to FTPA.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not clear on the Labour de/reselection process but does it depend upon a general election to be called for it to happen?

Yes, either that or boundary changes.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Thornberry's alright. She's always good to cadge a fag from if you see her hiding out round the back of hustings/surgeries etc.

Speaking from experience, I presume?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ocrassus posted:

So the education minister is considering bringing back grammar schools. Yay child segregation! :toot:

To be fair, the current system already leads to child segregation between those who can afford to move into areas with good schools and those who don't have the ability to move and stick with local inner city schools.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ocrassus posted:

The problem with grammar schools and the general segregation of schoolchildren (including private schools) is that it insulates them into a bubble. Why should academic kids only share space with other academic kids? Set streaming can help with catering to different abilities, but ultimately kids from all different backgrounds and abilities should intermingle.

Singapore, despite its absolutely vast divisions in wealth and social class, does not typically allow its own citizens to send their kids to private schools and it has no entrance exams. Its state funded system achieves the best in results in the world, albeit with controversial measures, demonstrating that it is atleast possible to have a solid state system. Iirc Gove went out there as education minister and the lesson he came back with was 'we should discipline the children harder :downs:' rather than 'oh gee every school seems to have vast facilities and teaching staff to support its students'.

I don't want to see a return to grammar schools because all that happens is we add yet another insufferable layer of snobbery into education, whilst we send the kids who don't manage the entrance tests to the secondary moderns with substantially less resources per pupil. To the poster complaining that middle class parents can just buy a good education now, they always could. If little Timmy was so dense he couldn't absorb the hours of coaching on the test, they could still send them to one of those middle of the road private schools that still crushes most comps, you very rarely found the posh kids at the secondary moderns.

Tl:dr - the solution has always been to beef up state schools with good ideas and money such that the value proposition of private/grammar schools nosedives. gently caress dividing kids by class so they learn to perpetuate it. Great education for all, not just the rich, and not just the smart (test takers).

The issue I've always had with the comprehensive system, beyond the fact private schools exist, is that schoolchildren are segregated anyways by middle-class parents moving to good suburbian schools and commuting a bit further to work while working-class parents who can't afford to move or commute far are stuck in city schools. Comprehensives may have been created to prevent segregation but just perpetuate geographical segregation of the classes (also another factor in the house price bubble)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

kustomkarkommando posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/27/corbyn-ally-suggests-labour-could-form-pacts-with-parties-across-left

Clive Lewis suggesting an electoral pact with the Greens and Lib Dems.

Talk of Labour stepping aside where the Lib Dems would be best to challenge the Tories but doesn't seem to broach the subject of Green/Labour seat agreements - mentions Labour would step aside where the Greens would be best placed to fight the Tories but to my knowledge all of the seats where the Greens placed second are Labour held and I would imagine the price for withdrawing candidates to allow Labour to run unopposed elsewhere would involve at least a few seats changing hands between Labour and the Greens.

There are some at least: The Isle of Wight had about 10% vote share to the greens last election, and Labour does exist on the island (even if it never gets anywhere). Thats the kind of seat you'd give up to the Greens.

Didn't they get close to taking Norwich South and Bristol East last election aswell? Giving the greens 2 or 3 more seats won't kill labour but gets a 1-2% bump in labour vote elsewhere.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

waffle posted:

Just got back from the Southampton Test CLP nomination meeting, 64-54 Corbyn! :getin: Based on the strongly biased applause patterns, I'm pretty sure nobody went into that room without knowing who they were voting for, and the speakers had no effect.

Excellent, closer than I thought but I'm not dissapointed from missing the meeting at least.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Oh on the ban on CLP meeting stuff: It even bans the executive council for that CLP from meeting. So, our local labour party has just managed to swing a deep discount of renting some office space in a new UNITE building, which would be a huge upgrade over the dinky hole which is the current labour party office. But the EC need to pass one more motion to go ahead, and now they can't. So UNITE have to find a new tenant. Great move by the NEC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

El Grillo posted:

Thought they could request meetings to vote on specific things, if it's exceptional circumstances? Maybe this doesn't count though.

They did, and the regional branch office told them to gently caress off. The guy I was talking to about it is a progress member aswell, and he's pissed about it

• Locked thread