Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Kikas posted:

Aw goddamnit this Sunshine run is any%, not 100%. Still, a good way to open up the marathon. Oh and I hope that the Harry Potter 2 game is the PC version, that game needs more exposure because it's awesome to watch with a lot of cool skips, a bit of bugs and really nice movement.

Oh, Colors DS in the Sonic block, never saw that run.

I saw the HP runner practicing earlier, it's PC version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Also there's additionally a discord server:

https://discordapp.com/channels/140605087511740416

(If you're an attendee you get access to some extra channels)

I think that's the right link but I don't really use discord so :shrug:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

beep by grandpa posted:

Actually the goal of the charity drive is not to finish it quickly as that would negatively impact the ability for them to collect funds for their charity. While you are correct in that the goal of each run of the individual performer's demonstration is to go quickly, the actual charity itself is not designed to be finished any faster than the normal 154 hour allotted time. Sometimes it goes on slightly longer. I'd also add that the charity itself has to be over at the designated time as the staff involved have spent many, many countless hours and thousands of dollars making arrangements for their hotel stays, etc. It would do untold harm for them to have all this equipment/space allocated to them only to finish it early. The charity drive shall not end one second before it is expected to according to the schedule, as they have done very single year this charity drive has been going on since 2010.

Actually AGDQ2012 finished over an hour ahead of schedule. :eng101:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Oyster posted:

He better show up soon so I can get a picture with him before I leave Wednesday. I haven't seen Blueglass yet either. I'm missing Dwango by a day :(

Blueglass isn't making it out this time, sadly. It was very last minute, we even have a Volunteer badge for him. :(

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Crain posted:

For shame. That was an hour of fundraising you gave up!

Actual question though: How long after the event do donations still trickle in? Do you guys fully shut down the donation link right as you end the stream or do you leave it active for a few days to pull in some late donations?

Missed this question before. We got a donation for AGDQ2016 in May. Generally we lock the event when we set up the next one.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/bid/4477

Sam's behind by ~$140. :ohdear:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Azazell0 posted:

Yeah, nothing like looking at the top of runner's head. Awkward for those who have bald spots.

Seriously, the camera angles need adjusting.

The runner's sitting at the PC station and we couldn't really do better with the camera we had. The main layout when people are on the TVs should be better.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Minrad posted:

but will mighty no 9 be in the mega man block, or awful games done quick? :iceburn:

You never know they might patch the poo poo out of it and it won't be so awful.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

beep by grandpa posted:

Lots of cool people in this thread for a change :hfive:

Can someone explain to me (with diagrams with lines and circles if needed) the purpose of the interstitial buffer couch between the crowd and the tiny couch??

Secondary 'chill couch'. There's a TV on the floor that's mirroring the stream. You can see it here:

https://twitter.com/uraniumanchor/status/627317247325810688

(Shot is from last year, but it's basically the same.)

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
https://twitter.com/ChrisHanel/status/749721555354038273

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Azazell0 posted:

I wonder if anyone could answer about the more technical side of the streaming - what are they using to capture RGB signals? Capture card, sync strike, etc? I've been meaning to get into live streaming retro but all my consoles are RGB and the options aren't very numerous.

We're actually using S-Video (with modded consoles if necessary), not RGB, so the fact that you can't tell the difference makes me wonder if RGB is worth the hassle. :v:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

goatface posted:

Setup seems slower than usual. Have they broken something critical already?

The audio cable we were using broke literally between runs. It was only giving one audio channel. Swapped cable, problem immediately went away. :supaburn:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Random Stranger posted:

He gave a take at some conference a couple of months ago about being DS Dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PulzIT8KYLk&t=3056s

(50:56 if the link doesn't work)

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Sir Tonk posted:

Are y'all using an audio/video company again like at AGDQ?

AGDQ2016 was just volunteers, but Power Up Audio is here again like at SGDQ2015, yeah.

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

He isn't even attending this year, so I'm not even sure what the point in watching is. :smith:

We even have a volunteer badge printed up for him. :smith:

He did donate $250 early on, though, just to say hi. :unsmith:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Thursday Next posted:

Any answer to this? I'd also be able to donate, say, a few PS4s or the like. Not handmade art stuff, but hopefully decent prizes.

Email prizes at gamesdonequick.com and Sent will get in contact with you.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Erata posted:

lol the crickets following it

what are you talking about the room exploded with applause

dangit did they have the crowd mics down too low

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

CrashCat posted:

the layout is missing except for the bottom bar :shrug:

That's actually the fault of OBS Studio and the plugin we're using for the layouts. The layout is essentially a webpage but the plugin to display webpages doesn't work in "preview" mode, so after a transition it takes a bit for it to load.

Now if it fails to load completely, I guess you might get that. I dunno, I wasn't around for it. :v:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Azazell0 posted:

How can even romscout beat SoTN blindfolded with all the corridors and tight corners and stuff. I guess we'll see.

I still remember the first time he tried this years ago on his stream (at my suggestion) so I'm very excited to see it actually happen. :allears:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
He keeps equipping the wrong thing. :negative:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Crain posted:

stream crash?

The capture card drivers are being super finicky this time around, this is the third time they've caused a crash right as something was going on with an HDMI source. In this case it was turning the 360 off.

We have a new HDMI switch so I'm tempted to blame that.

Eonwe posted:

hey GDQ staff that read this thread

let succinct run this next year

tia

I have two things to do with game selection.

1. gently caress.
2. All.

Other than my own offerings, of course. :v:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Kikas posted:

"I've never seen that happen before" from a Dev surely is a GDQ first.

Oh no okay the Mask dev totally said that too.

Pink Knight glitch, AGDQ2013(?) for Super Meat Boy 106%.

Minrad posted:

It seems unusual for you to have the free time to post during a gdq! Did you guys finally get the volunteers and experience that you aren't gonna have to hibernate all next week to recuperate? :v:

We have enough volunteers this time around that basically all of the grunt work is covered and I only have to worry when things catch on fire. Which other than the blue screens has been thankfully rare.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

MrLonghair posted:

Wish there was some "HEY GUY, HUSH" sign they could wave.

HDMI switch that can be programmed to always keep the EDID you need up and running really helps prevent these things (dirt cheap but not a common feature), and so does having HDMI capture gear of the kind that is never advertised to consumers ($200-$300 entry level) to assure reliability. All but three problems I have ever had with HDMI in my life have come from things not concerning EDID handshakes going limp.

The switch does EDID spoofing and we have $500 micomsoft cards, so it's not from using cheap hardware. :shrug:

The last time we just had super cheap switches (same cards) and it was way more stable than this, so I dunno.

Edit: These things: https://solarisjapan.com/products/sc-512n1-l-dvi-component-hd-and-dvi-capture-board

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 5, 2016

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Alighieri posted:

The estimate is 41 minutes, how many levels are in supermeatboy? I am an uncoordinated mongoloid who couldn't get that far in it.

I think to get the Dark World ending you have to beat 180 levels plus bosses (17 each from 1-5 and 5 from 6, and then a similar number from dark world) but it's been a while so I might be wrong on that.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

beep by grandpa posted:

Does uraniumanchor have a beard this year?

Yes but I don't have a picture handy sorry.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Watching this run reminded me I haven't purchased Humble Bundle yet, but I don't think this game is in it.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Maxwell Adams posted:

I really don't understand this. What kind of leverage does the charity have? What are they gonna do, refuse to accept a million dollars?

Charities can and do refuse to work with groups that don't project a professional enough image.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

kender posted:

Whomever is in charge of getting the VODs up as quick as they are, thank you. I haven't had the time to sit and watch the ones I want to see when they air, so this has been really cool seeing them on the official site and not bootlegged by someone else.

I made a script to upload each run to YouTube when there's a new recording (we have a local box that has one job, and that's to record the cloned stream at a nice high bitrate, far higher than it goes out to twitch) but then Brossentia is in charge of actually labeling the things. :)

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

DizzyBum posted:

According to his twitter he's doing Mega Man X3 100% on Friday, but it's not listed on the schedule so :shrug:

Iceless is Caleb. I'm not sure why he's listed that way. Name change maybe?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

KKKLIP ART posted:

I looked on the GDQ website but I don't see a breakdown of the incentives, I wanted to know how far out they were for a few of them. Is there a master list somewhere?

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/bids/sgdq2016

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

symbolic posted:

Gif not Jif, Gibbed not Jibbed.

John Romero (aka god) says it's a hard G because it's short for giblets. :colbert:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

MisterBibs posted:

Did the SS1 run just go balls-to-the-wall faster than they expected? Last I checked it would've started right about now, but evidently I just missed it.

We're about half an hour ahead of schedule and the run was only 13 minutes long, sorry. :v:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
When I ran this game for AGDQ2014 my PB was 45 minutes and the WR was 39, and I was doing a bunch of extra poo poo for incentives. The WR is now 33 minutes and he's not doing anything extra. Watch this run. :colbert:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
So far this is basically my run on crack but it'll get even better later. :allears:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Sardonik posted:

This guy is no UraniamAnchor but he does have style, that's for sure.

poo poo if I'm gonna get dethroned I'm glad it's by this guy. :allears:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Ometeotl posted:

They're seriously under pace compared to other marathons, right?

We're like $30k behind last year but if you factor in Humble Bundle we're ahead.

People say this every event and I don't understand why people don't just look at graphs. :confused:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I feel like they got way better publicity in the past few years, esp AGDQ 2 years ago. I haven't seen them covered in any news outlet, not even Kotaku did an "SGDQ starts today!" thing.

Yeah it's not like we were mentioned on national tv or anything. :v:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Bad Seafood posted:

I thought Bionic Commando was gonna be played earlier, but apparently they slotted in Illusion of Gaia or something? What happened? What's up next now?

Between getting ahead and a game straight up having to be dropped because the runner couldn't make it we slotted in IoG so the last days wouldn't get too thrown off.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey UA I'm curious now - do GDQ vids ever get hit with copyright claims/takedowns? I imagine one playthrough of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 would get the entire channel shut down.

If you see an ad on any GDQ videos it's because we got a copyright claim. No takedowns ever but plenty of content matches that stick ads on or block playback in certain countries.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Reason posted:

next gdq in a state with legal weed please

We had it in Denver twice already. :v:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey UA remember AGDQ16 we kept getting duplicate videos on the channel (to resolve sound issues iirc) and I in particular got screwed up cause I had this personal big playlist with them then you removed them, jacked my poo poo up and you put em back for me (thanks for doing that btwyou're the best and you didn't have to :) )

Anyway does it look like anything like that'll happen this year so far with the SGDQ YT vods?

The initial uploads will go unlisted again but they shouldn't screw up your playlists when I do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
https://twitter.com/uraniumanchor/status/751232076645404672

Just sayin'.

• Locked thread