Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

After The War posted:

drat straight we do. I've been introducing a friend who's never seen any, and it's blowing his mind the series is as old as it is.

Somehow, he's never heard what happens to Henry Blake, so that's going to be a shock..
Are you watching it with or without the laugh track? In the UK, it never had one until it started being repeated on Sky (it originally aired on BBC2), and I watched it once with canned laughter and it guaranteed I didn't watch it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Knormal posted:

And then Enterprise used that model as an actual future Federation ship during their Temporal Cold War crap because no one will notice, right?
Dauntless: NX-01-A.
Enterprise: NX-01.

Since nobody on Voyager raised so much as an eyebrow at the inconsistency, got to assume that the Temporal Cold War hosed with the ship names somehow.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Paradoxish posted:

I love the idea of the Ent-D being this ship that was designed to just go somewhere, set up in orbit, and do literally anything that needed to be done all by itself.
Starship as General Systems Vehicle? Never thought of it that way, but I like it!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
What someone said upthread about the JJTrek crew not seeming professional is spot on. I can't help thinking that it's because the makers of TOS were pretty much all ex-military, while the people behind the new movies have spent their entire working lives in Hollywood. (Also: taking literally saying "you have the bridge" to a junior officer and thinking that makes them the captain permanently. :ughh: )

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Madurai posted:

Trek has never been really clear on the concept of radiation, either. In Voyager particularly, "radiation" was a slightly heavier-than-air greenish gas. I think they may have confused it with chlorine.
Pretty sure there was also an episode where the stars were being blocked from view by radiation. You know, the black, opaque kind.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I originally thought after First Contact that the Borg as a collective came up with the Queen as a way to crack Data psychologically as the only way to get the Enterprise access codes - they've got the combined knowledge of thousands of races, after all. But nope, she's literally their evil leader who sits around watching what's happening on 4:3 monitors and verbally countermanding drones, rather than, y'know, the Collective assessing the situation and instantly coming up with a course of action as one unimaginably huge mind.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

This is like Tiny Toons Starfleet or something.

"Space bullshit" is the best term I've ever heard to describe the stuff that the Enterprise et al regularly encounter, and it should be retconned into the franchise immediately. "Captain's log, stardate 3473.2. We encountered some space bullshit that killed three of the crew. Their families have been informed."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I gave up on Farscape after three or four episodes, and now don't have enough free time to give it another shot. :smith:

As for Lexx, do what I did and watch the miniseries, then stop. (I actually watched for a few episodes of the series proper after Zev was replaced by Xev, or whichever way round it was, and felt I would have been better off stopping sooner.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Shibawanko posted:

I ignore the movies because there aren't any niner movies.
"Tough little ship."
"Little?!?"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Grand Fromage posted:

It also gave us Spock's Dick, one of the internet's finest gifs.
A while back, I remember finding a bunch of frames (JPEGs rather than GIFs) on my old backup hard drive that now makes me wonder if I actually created that in the first place. But I honestly don't remember. (At the time, I was probably drunk.)

Edit: holy poo poo, GIS links tell me it *was* me, back in 2007. The stills, anyway; I don't remember doing it as a GIF. But then I don't remember much about that period in general. :smith:

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 1, 2018

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Low Desert Punk posted:

I'm rewatching Enterprise and really liking it

It's a very cozy Trek, not a lot of loud noises or yelling, just the dulcet tones of Phlox and scott bakula

Phlox owns btw
gently caress Dr 'Mengele' Phlox.

There's a bit in the DS9 Companion where the writers talk about "who can we cybo-brainise without anyone caring? Uh... Bareil! Nobody gives a crap about him!" and being very surprised to get a load of angry mail from women who actually did give a crap.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I remember at the end of the arc when Seven joined the crew thinking it was cool that Voyager was still covered in the Borg greeblies needed to beat Species 8472. But then nope, all gone, back to the pristine hull next episode.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Brawnfire posted:

I'd enjoy a show where they followed a small crew on a rinky-dink little ship, maybe like 5-7 people at very most. Make it an ensemble comedy, one of the characters is the Klingon chef as galley cook. Make him an excessively passionate dude, gets way too into things. I can write up a full treatment, just ask!
Star Trek: Red Dwarf. One character is even a hologram!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Sometimes they recycled accepted TNG scripts too! Remember that one episode that's basically A Matter Of Perspective (which yes is a Rashomon rehash) but with Paris instead of Riker?
And then ENT recycled a Voyager script that was broadcast the previous season ('Friendship One' and IIRC 'Terra Nova') - the one where an old Earth probe accidentally hosed up a planet and the residents are not pleased to see Starfleet.

ENT also had the gall/balls to recycle a DS9 script that was Odo-centric, and cast Rene Auberjonois as the guest star!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Peachfart posted:

Any of that would have required creativity, which Enterprise ran out of somewhere in the middle of the first season episode.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
They arrested Harlan Ellison?!?

And from a few pages back: yes, the Centaur was a cool design. It may have been an Excelsior kitbash, but it still worked well as a variation on existing hardware without feeling like random pieces glued together, or adding highlighter pens to a saucer section.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tighclops posted:

TOS was the right confluence of poo poo at the perfect time, you can see contemporary space shows try basically the same thing and miss the mark totally because they couldn't nail the formula. Nobody really cares about UFO with Ed Bishop, for example despite being part of the Gerry Anderson canon

(all his shows were terrible just like Irwin Allen, the only reason to watch them was the kickass miniature FX)
UFO is a frustrating show because it has a loving great premise, but because it was ITC they just used their regular pool of reliable hacks to knock out the scripts. So half the episodes of this supposedly grown-up show are barely any more advanced than a Thunderbirds story, and most of the rest are standard Sixties action-adventure fare that just happens to have aliens instead of spies as the baddies. (It didn't help that a hiatus in filming caused by having to move studios meant that many of the actors playing the secondary characters found other work, so there wasn't even a consistent cast.)

I'd actually love to see a remake, because UFO could have really great potential if done right. Although now people would probably accuse it of being a ripoff of XCOM...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Why did they decide to make the teasers in "Enterprise" so boring? Hoshi talks about a slug, cut to credits. Yep, that'll keep people interested.
[Mayweather reads a book.] "Ensign Mayweather, report to the bridge." It's been a long roooooad...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ah yes, the United Federation of Planets, comprised of many worlds and races working together for a better future under shared rules and values set out by an overarching multinational government, is obviously an argument for Brexit.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m guessing Reliant is the Khan miniseries no one asked for, named in a manner that the writers no doubt believe to be clever. Destiny has to be the Picard series.
Nah, Destiny's going to be about Ezri's career before she got the slug.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

HD DAD posted:

I want it to be just a retelling of Galaxy Quest, beginning with Patrick Stewart the actor being harassed by what he thinks is his pal Jonathan Frakes, but is actually William T Riker, captain of the Titan who’s come to steal him from an alternate universe to replace that universe’s dead Picard.
Star Trek: Visit to a Weird Planet Revisited, Revisited.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Epicurius posted:

With I, Robot, they had an existing script out there called Hardwired, and then when they got the rights to the book, just threw the name on there.
A script that took pretty heavy "inspiration" from Jack Williamson's novel The Humanoids, at that. Robots are going to protect humans from harm... by force if necessary.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

galenanorth posted:

a prequel isn't a prequel without a few shoehorned "actually, they were the ones who discovered it, but they never told anyone" stories
I haven't had a chance to watch DIS yet, but how did they square going to the Mirror Universe ten years before TOS, when Kirk and co knew nothing about it?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Their Nechayev equivalent ordered the whole thing remain a secret
Oh. That's... kinda dull.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

HIJK posted:

Midnight's Edge has a good round up of the current state of the Kelvin movies and Paramount's mismanagement: https://youtu.be/kOys0IusW2U
Worth a watch (except for the bits that imply anyone gave the tiniest poo poo about Axanar).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

It's always nice to see the original Probert Enterprise-C design show up.

It was originally an Enterprise-D concept - IIRC it was something Probert had painted for fun, and Roddenberry liked it so much that it became the stepping-off point for the final design.

I like it, but at the same time I'm glad it wasn't used for the D. At the time I had a thoroughly reactionary dislike of the new ship - "it's different, and therefore wrong!" - but now I appreciate it for pushing further away from what had been established in TOS and the movies. The original Probert design, while good (and it looks really nice in that new render), was just a rejig of existing ships.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The transporter accident in TMP is utterly horrific because of the way they're screaming throughout the whole thing, and you can see their bodies warping and tearing as they form. It's one of those rare things in film that I've actually found more disturbing as I've got older rather than less. Thanks, empathy!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Pacra posted:

What is that ship, the USS Pendulous Breasts?????
Designed by James Cameron, no less!

I think Krull is Peak Horner, because you can literally hear pieces of every other score he did for about ten years on either side.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mister Kingdom posted:

The only Star Trek fiction I ever read was "Star Trek: The New Voyages". And the only story I can recall was the one where Kirk, Spock, and McCoy were in a transporter accident and ended up on the set of Star Trek.
The second volume had the inverse version of the same story: Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley end up on the real Enterprise.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Paradoxish posted:

For the show, yeah, but not so much for the mission. The idea of the D running around from planet to planet never made a whole lot of sense and ship seemed more suitable as a kind of mobile starbase that could set up shop somewhere and do real long term exploration/science/diplomacy.
Maybe the Ent-J finally got to fulfil the dream of the Federation having a ship that was basically a Culture GSV. Although really it should have a name like USS Making It So, Bitch.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Q_res posted:

Maybe there's some sort of hellish work-for-reward system. Maybe there's nicer apartments, hover cars, et cetera that you can request. However in exchange you have to take a job assignment from the government and put in a minimum number of hours in order to be allowed to have those nicer amenities. Of course, enrolling in Starfleet grants you unlimited access to the top tier of privileges and amenities.
Service guarantees (Federation) citizenship! Would you like to know more?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

thexerox123 posted:

Also, as to an earlier post, I would absolutely choose to watch Voyager over Enterprise most of the time. There are plenty of great Voyager episodes.
Same here. Voyager produced a fair bit of dross, but the Doctor and Seven are great characters, Janeway is always watchable (especially once Mulgrew goes "they're going to write my character inconsistently? gently caress it, she's now full-on bipolar"), and Tuvok, Paris and Torres have their moments. Even the more boring characters have distinct personalities.

Enterprise doesn't even have entertaining leads to make up for the lousy (and often recycled) stories, though. Archer is an arrogant, entitled rear end in a top hat who deserves a good punch in the face, Phlox is Space Mengele, and the others are dull non-entities. The best character isn't even a regular (Shran).

quote:

(But, TOS, TNG, and DS9 are all definitely better than both.)
Well, yeah.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cythereal posted:

The Kobayashi Maru, the no-win scenario, is a recurring metaphor for death, and it's one part of a theme throughout the movie about how Kirk has always managed to cheat death. He's managed to win where he shouldn't have been able to win, but he can't keep doing it forever. Death will catch up to him
Now I'm imagining a Star Trek version of Final Destination, except Death keeps. Missing. The target! and killing redshirts instead of Kirk.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

jeeves posted:

I love how CBS is trying to milk Trek for everything it can like Disney did with Star Wars.

I guess Jar Jar Abrams primed the pump for me not giving a poo poo about a new thing labeled Star Trek. I have zero care about anything new coming up.
Abrams managed to kill both Stars Trek and Wars for me - though the entire corporate ethos of "pump out as much branded product as fast as you can" behind them also contributed. I haven't seen Beyond or Discovery, or Last Jedi or Solo, and really don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. (The me of 10-15 years ago would be utterly shocked to hear that, but things change.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I once came up with the theory that the Borg Queen had (or appeared to have) a distinct personality despite being linked to the Collective because the combined Borg knowledge of psychological warfare from thousands of species made them realise this would be the best way to crack Data, by offering him what he most desired - she wasn't a literal queen of the entire Collective, but a kind of weapon. But then along came Voyager, and welp.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

skasion posted:

Did the gel packs actually do anything? I can’t think of a single episode where they were more than tangentially relevant. Neelix hosed them up with his cooking that one time, but I can’t recall an instance where they contributed any benefit the ship would otherwise have lacked.
"Get the cheese to sickbay!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

PostNouveau posted:

"We're from up north."
[P-Stew natural accent] "Ay up."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Grand Fromage posted:

Don't you understand? It's real.
The YouTube supercut of "It's a faaaaake"/"It's REEEEEALLLL!" has become a family joke to the point that if I tell my three-year-old something's fake, he'll shake his fist and go "Don't you understand? It's REEEEEALLLL!"

Poor kid's going to be so taken aback when he eventually sees the moment in context.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Sir Lemming posted:

Season 3 of TOS definitely gets more into the trope of Kirk macking on alien women. Along with the general decline in quality.
All thanks to Fred Freiberger, who did such a great job producing the final season of Star Trek that he was asked to do the same thing for the final season of Space: 1999!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Re-reading The 50 Year Voyage and just got to the part about The Letter. God drat, Roddenberry didn't hold back on tearing his lead actors a new one. He essentially threatened to fire Shatner if he didn't stop pulling his line-counting 'I'm the star so I get whatever I want' poo poo, and was barely less brutal to Nimoy either.

I also hadn't registered that when Roddenberry came back to give the show his full attention later in season 2 after being sidetracked by other projects he deliberately made the character interactions more formal and military and cut back the humour, but in hindsight it's blindingly clear. (Ironically, I consider the earlier parts of season 2 to be the high point of TOS...)