Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

DS9 did its share of exploration, it was just more in depth than in broad strokes. Fewer planets of the week.

Did it do it with a sense of wonder and adventure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edit: nvm

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

I think the issue was more that it would be stupid as poo poo to not have the Emergency Security Holograms flanking every actual Starfleet crew member, and also that Voyager's transwarp poo poo made the galaxy a much smaller place.

There are plenty of galaxies...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I used to think this'd be a cool direction to go too but wow has Mass Effect Andromeda ever closed the monkey's paw on that wish.

It has just as much potential as anything if exploration is a part of the show.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

I'm saying they can't legally work with that. It's not a creativity issue.

Star Trek Online manages to work with it. They have a New Romulus plotline.

And CBS and Paramount seem to work together on things like that more often than not. The new movies are riddled with references to the shows. MACOs, Section 31, etc.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 19, 2017

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

Haven't we been over this? STO is its own thing outside the films or TV. But because of CBS/Paramount's stupid legal separation the TV shows can't reference anything in the films (of course the films can reference the TV shows because the entire franchise is a reference to a TV show). I was under the impression that this was explicitly given as the reason the new show isn't set in the Kelvin timeline.

So CBS have two choices - set the show at the end of the timeline but massively ignore established canon (with the fanbase least likely to accept that) or set the show at an earlier time.

It is its own thing, but they still have to negotiate for rights to reference things. They started off with the CBS TV rights (minus TAS, probably), and negotiated with Paramount for movie references. Which is what I'm saying... it's entirely possible for CBS to negotiate with Paramount for references. They've done it in the past to use the costumes from the movies, it's not outside of the realm of possibility for them to get the rights to reference the destruction of Romulus. They both work together as it stands for rights for the comics, too.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

These are all toy commercial shows.

I bought an action figure of Mutated Tom Paris and his salamander babies on ebay, so really you can't say that Star Trek doesn't also sell toys.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

skasion posted:

Six of one...

What kind of weird Borg designation is that

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

"I am not a number! I am a free man!"
"Resistance is futile."

I'd like to see the Borg try to assimilate Rover.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Again, that seems like it'd be too cyber for Star Trek.

Not really. They've had people encoding data in DNA sequences (The Drumhead), mind control (The Mind's Eye), memory manipulation (The Inner Light, Conundrum, Clues)...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Every time they've shown memory retrieval it's almost always been painful and non-voluntary, aside from mind melding, I don't think there's a nice passive way to download your brain.

We are talking about terrorists, here.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Duckbag posted:

I really hope Jason Isaac's sticks around the whole time doing captain stuff just because the "another white hetero cismale captain!" Reddit screeds would be hilarious after all this build up.

I also think that a show where the main character is the second-in-command just sounds a lot more interesting than "she was number one, but then the captain died so she's basically captain now." I've talked before about how I hate the cult of "the captain" in Trek and I don't think making the main character "acting captain" is any sort of way to get around that. They pulled that poo poo in JJ Trek and it was my least favorite part of the whole movie.

Plus making the main character a new commander who gets dumped into the leadership role in a tense conflict area is basically what DS9 tried doing and they just gave up and made him the captain after two seasons anyway. If our main character is CO or acting CO for any length of time, it's pretty much garaunteed that we'll get a few episodes of her "learning on the job" and after that she'll be indistinguishable from "the captain" and the whole thing will just feel like a bait-and-switch. I guess it could work, but it still sounds pretty tedious.

If Isaacs has to die, I'd much rather it be at the end of the season than the beginning, because a show where the XO is the main character instead of the captain sounds way more interesting than what we're likely to get.

FWIW, Bryan Fuller did say way back when that his intention was for it to be the first Trek series that wasn't from the POV of a captain... whether that holds true, we'll see, I guess.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I get that some people want the new show to be about the XO and not the CO, but it's not easy. The West Wing was supposed to be about Rob Lowe's character but morphed into an ensemble centered around Martin Sheen. If you want a whole series about Lower Decks, then it will have to be about relationships and drama, as all the action radiates from the bridge. Trying to edge out the captain of a ship in a show about a ship traveling in space would be hard.

Not if they give the XO a compelling enough hook into a larger story.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Astroman posted:

We HAVE fiction which explores the morality of enslaving AIs we create.So presumably we won't duplicate the mistakes of our ancestors in previous cycles.

We have fiction that explores the morality of war, too, it doesn't change the fact that it happens.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching Who Watches the Watchers. It's from a few years after Watchmen but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the phrase was just bouncing around the cultural consciousness in the late 80s.

It's based on a pre-existing latin phrase, though.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Platonicsolid posted:

To borrow a phrase, "Someone should have labeled the future 'some assembly required'"

I've started watching Babylon 5 for the first time recently... halfway through season 2 already. I'm kicking myself for not watching it sooner, so drat good.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Come join us in the Babylon 5 thread if you haven't already. It's always enjoyable following along vicariously with someone's first time.

I went there first, but then found that there were untagged spoilers on Page 1, so I decided to leave until I've watched the show.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Timby posted:

Paramount is still loving around, but apparently that script has been resurrected for a potential fourth movie. :suicide:

What? Since when? I thought that Pegg and Jung were writing a script based on a JJ Abrams pitch that involves Chris Hemsworth coming back as Kirk's father somehow?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

shadok posted:

I vaguely remember an analysis somebody wrote on Usenet years ago about what would happen if you actually fired a hand-held phaser and disintegrated something and they concluded that the object being disintegrated would emit so much gamma and x-ray radiation that it would instantly kill everyone nearby, even if you somehow suppressed the nuclear bomb of converting, say, an average adult humanoid into energy.

Maybe they've found a reaction that displaces all of the energy into subspace.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I didn't get from the pilot:

Why did the other houses suddenly decide to follow T'kuvma? They showed up, most were annoyed, even the ones who were willing to listen didn't seem to have any motivation. Captain Georgiou pops up on screen to say nothing particularly provocative one way or the other, and suddenly it's a firefight. They were just like "oh well we're here already might as well start a war with the Federation"? Feels like a lazy way to somehow both make Burnham right AND not actually at fault for starting the war.

Because he presented them with an opportunity for honorable battle, and they are Klingons?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Ok but what was any of his setup for then? The light show, the big speech, the predictions? The other Klingons didn't know about the cloaking device at that point so no reason they'd be impressed with that. If all he needed to do to get Klingons to rally to him was to get some Federation ships in front of them, seems like he could have just gotten some people drunk and taken them joy-riding to Andoria or something.

Because presumably the prediction made in-show that he's going to become a martyr is coming to pass. He used higher Klingon ideals (appealing to Kahless, glory, and fighting in unity against a worthy enemy) to help rally them, and that ideology can continue on without him. Especially via the albino Klingon.

Also, showmanship is just generally useful for getting people onboard with your ideas.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 25, 2017

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

To be fair, pale Klingons aren't uncommon in later Trek series, clearly they overcome that prejudice.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The main ones I can think of are Star Trek 3 and 6, which have their own bundle of problems. The most sophisticated Klingon quoting Shakespeare of course is white.

The first one that came to mind for me was the religious guy who made Clone-Kahless.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

The whole cold open segment was terrible. How with their technology could they be lost? Why didn't they have some sort of beacon or pre-arranged meeting point. The ship can see a tiny little trek symbol of footprints from space yet it can't detect the only 2 humans on the planet? Why didn't they just beam down to the well and not have to trek across the desert?

Have you never watched an episode of Star Trek before?

There was a crazy storm happening on the planet, that usually fucks with sensors, teleporters, etc. Think about how common it is for them to send down away teams to trudge around in every single Star Trek series ever. Just because we didn't see the setup/explanations doesn't mean it should be utterly baffling.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Also everyone outside of Terry Farrell pretty much has their character nailed from the get-go.

Ehh, Bashir is very different in the early episodes too. And Rom sounds, like, British the first time he shows up?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Michael's kind of an odd name for a woman?

So?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Also did the admiral's ship blowing up do anything at all? Warp core breaches were always considered things you don't want to be anywhere near, much less literally attached to the ship doing the breaching.

I was assuming that the ship that did the ramming wasn't T'Kuvma's lead ship, as it had already decloaked earlier... but I may be mistaken. So my assumption was that the warp core breach did take out that Klingon ship.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 26, 2017

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ramadu posted:

he said he had a cloaked ship but i have no idea what it looked like at all, hence my point of "not knowing what the gently caress rammed them"

It looked like this:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bucswabe posted:

The fact that they were brought up in Enterprise basically implies that they have been a necessary and effective organization for centuries.

Not really. They have no oversight, they may well cause as many problems as they prevent. It just means that the organization is good at self-continuation.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

If you mean Home Improvement, I'm going to be fair to the convicted coke dealer that it seemed more like a regular situation comedy, based on the number of episodes I had to watch as a childe. His liberal sidekick was portrayed as being way more together anyway.

No, Last Man Standing. It was just cancelled this year.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

when they said discovery would be darker i didnt know they meant literally, get some loving lights on that set you assholes

Pretty inconsiderate to Capt. Lorca.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah how much will this happen? I assumed production order generally would match air order.

They should have at least warned about it last episode!

They did read the episode description last episode.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

When DS9 was being made, "transhumanism" might not have existed as a word, and the concept was certainly not widespread.

Nope, it's been around since the 60s.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

People who listen to The Greatest Generation: can I just jump in with DS9 or do I need to start from the beginning to get a bunch of the in-jokes?

Thanks.:downs:

They've definitely toned down the number of in-jokes... but there are still some. I don't think it would necessarily make it unlistenable, though.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Not to sound ungrateful, but I have no idea what I was supposed to get out of that.:confused:

Their Kevin Uxbridge imitation starts in that episode.

(Though it probably develops more in subsequent episodes... they develop an in-joke wherein Kevin is an all-powerful realdoll maker.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

It helps that a lot of the toxic stuff going on behind the scenes eased up once Gene's influence waned.

The documentary Chaos on the Bridge covers the production of the first season, it's pretty interesting.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Unspoilered this because I don't think it needs it.

I like the show, but I am also completely unable to follow any of the Klingon politics stuff. All the characters look exactly the same, they can't make any facial expressions under all that rubber glued to their faces, and all their dialogue is this weird stilted ritualistic fantasy poo poo right out of a bad 80s sword-and-sorcery movie. After this week's episode I said to myself I'm going to have to read the wiki on all these Klingon characters to find out who is doing what to whom and why I should care.

There are basically just 4 Klingon characters, 3, minus T'Kuvma and they look nothing alike. I don't get how people find it complicated.

You can't differentiate between a female Klingon, a male albino Klingon, and a male Klingon with facepaint?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sarcastr0 posted:

But DS9 had the Federation fail those tests again and again, often in such a way as to imply that the aspirational idea was always pretense, that humans are crappy and petty and will always be thus.
There's a lot of good sci-fi there, but the reason I like Trek is that it stands out by living somewhere else.

Why are people acting like TOS and TNG didn't have corrupt members of Starfleet?

Hell, 90% of Starfleet admirals that we see are utter pieces of poo poo.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The very first Kirk episode of TOS is about a member of Starfleet getting corrupted by power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sarcastr0 posted:

The individuals were (hilariously regularly so); the organization rose beyond them again and again.

When was that not the case in DS9?