Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DoubleCakes posted:

Today I watched some average Star Trek. On DS9 it was "Playing God", the episode where Jazdia is hanging around that Trill candidate. The episode cannot find a core idea and jumped around a lot. "Eye of the Beholder" from TNG is okay. Kind of creepy. I'm starting to feel TNG overstay its welcome.

“Playing God” has big mismatch of stakes with itself. The a-plot is Jadzia and the candidate guy trying to figure life out. The b-plot is that the galaxy is about to be destroyed and something must be done (nb, it will never matter again after this episode). It’s just a sci-fi boilerplate contrivance to drum up a none-too-dramatic, but itself decent, character piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm pretty sure Worf ate a guy.

Worf dismantled a guy Predator style. And he also melted Crusher’s face off with his vile sputum

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Epicurius posted:

That's mostly Bariel. Most of the rest of the Bajoram male characters were ok. The big problem was that they weren't main cast or recurring characters , so they were very one note because there was no time to develop the characters.

If Wymn had just been there for one episode, you probably wouldn't have liked her as well

They should have stuck with Li Nalas from the three-parter at the start of season 2. the legendary hero Kira rescues from prison camp turns out to be just some guy who was trying his best and fortuitously gunned down a cardassian in the bath, then he gets given her job because of politics, then he takes a bullet for Sisko. It’s a pretty understated role but I wish they hadn’t killed him off. The actor was Richard Beymer who can absolutely kill it with the right material (Twin Peaks for example) and he makes Li vastly more entertaining than Bareil, Shakaar, whoever else I’m forgetting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

No Dignity posted:

I was so disappointed when he agreed with Ziyal that Garak's hot in In Purgatory's Shadow and realised it was Changeling Bashir II talking and not him

This is honestly even better, because it means even the Founders can tell he’s got the horn

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Fugitive and The Prisoner are the two 60s shows I think of as really having finales in the modern sense. TOS wasn’t really the kind of show that needed one—what would it even be, the end of the five year mission and they all go their separate ways?—what a bummer that would be. But “All Our Yesterdays” is a good episode that encourages thoughts about past things and finality without literally being an episode where everything ends.

dr_rat posted:

You can't tell me how I'm going to name the last episode of my series about a spy who sneaks on to a drug gang run tropic island to infiltrate a secrete international chess tournament TO THE DEATH!!!!

“The Mystery of Chessboxing” obviously

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I do like that even Star Trek, one of the least bloodthirsty and most kumbaya-assed works of scifi ever to achieve widespread popularity, just has “the majority of humankind, multiple deca-Hitlers worth, including all the most annoying people, were once exterminated in a nuclear hell storm” as a casually referenced background element. Really goes to show uh. Something

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Admiralty Flag posted:

It’s been forever since I saw First Contact, but why didn’t the Borg Sphere just crash to earth and start a mass assimilation of Earth’s populace, with a special focus on Bozeman, MT? Hell, they wouldn’t even need to crash; they could transport through their shields while the Enterprise security teams (which wouldn’t be up to the job of repelling them anyway) couldn’t beam out in combat.

Was there some treknobabble why they couldn’t/didn’t?

I’m assuming because it was a small ship, a veritable captain’s launch, the Borg Sphere couldn’t have outraced the Enterprise to Vulcan and started the assimilation program there.

It probably is what they did. earth gets briefly Borged before the Enterprise follows the sphere through the time portal and saves the day retroactively.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The art design behind most of Babylon 5 holds up. The different factions are characterized through their ships better than Trek imo. Weighed against that you have the fact that it all is expressed through the medium of cg action in the vein of slightly uglier Starcraft 1 cutscene

The good news is, Starcraft 1 cutscenes owned and so does Bab 5

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

"Let He Who Is Without Sin" is missing a scene at the end where Worf is telling his therapist all about this weird dream he had where Dax made him so mad he committed terrorism

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They should go back to showing the titles on screen with big quotation marks around them. Thanks in advance

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Also extremely pretentious literary titles

"Whomst Dies for A Day in Eden"

They tried this with Disco. Seriously, there’s a season one episode called “the butcher’s knife cares naught for the lamb’s cry” or some poo poo. But nobody cared because 1) disco 2) they didn’t even show you the name, you have to go look it up

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

I still don't get why DISCO went with that "we built this ship in a soviet scrapyard" look.

That brown-grey with overlapping paneling is simply off-putting, especially against the clean panel lines and white+pinstripes of TOS/TNG ships.

Because that’s how the McQuarrie Enterprise design from Planet of the Titans looked.

A better question is why they felt like this design was appropriate to cannibalize for the centerpiece of their show, since Discovery has nothing to do with Planet of the Titans, and the whole reason why McQuarrie’s design looks like this was to facilitate TNG-style saucer-separation action, which the Disco doesn’t do.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sash! posted:

I'm pretty sure that the concept of live video conference predated Orwell.

Indeed! E. M. Forster (Room with a View, etc) wrote a short story “The Machine Stops” in 1909 in which future-humanity inhabits the titular Machine, a colossal series of computerized, subterranean apartment complexes; all their material needs are seen to by the Machine, video-chat is the primary social activity, and only weirdoes ever go outside. As you could probably guess from the title, it doesn’t end well.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

I could see an argument for her being an Pope-like figure, confusing power for piety, but modern Evangelical? not at all. There's nothing she does that maps uniquely onto fundamentalist Christian dominionism, they actually brought in the fake Emissary when they wanted to explore those themes. She's not a preacher, she's not charismatic, she's not advocating for a return to fundamental beliefs, she's not secretly enriching herself, she's unconcerned about cultural issues. The political-religious thing doesn't work because Bajor doesn't have separation of church and state, there aren't a majority of Bajorans who don't believe in the prophets, there is an extreme minority that doesn't. So she's not forcing her beliefs on anyone. So in what way is she like modern Evangelical Christianity?

I broadly agree with you with the exception of the season 1 episode where she tries her best to concern-troll Keiko’s school out of existence. That’s purestrain evangelical bullshit

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Also the Bajoran religion has the benefit of being, you know, actually true. At least their gods anyway, I don't know of a single doctrine of that religion besides "Trust the Prophets" and "The Prophets have a plan" and "rigid caste system"

:orb:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

jeeves posted:

The final ten episodes of DS9 can be vastly improved by just editing out the Dukat stuff.

It was certainly a bold dramatic choice to have Sisko go out by flinging himself into a volcano, but i was a little confused as to his motive

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

I want to see some future hybrid race where all the Trek aliens came together as one species with a massive crenellated forehead, gigantic coralesque ears, a nose like a folded towel, and some kind of hellish pink-blue-green vitiligo

This is what those ultra wise Lovecraftian entities that temporarily drove Spock nuts looked like

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

I doubt these chat GPT derivatives could create new TOS episodes 'to order' but I could absolutely see a power-user package that lets you turn a formatted rough script into something like a TAS episode being available in a few years.

Honestly TAS's style seems almost suited for this brute force horseshit.

Yeah the genius of TAS is that half the time it feels like no human mind was involved with its production anyway

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mulgrew’s good. Janeway’s character writing is all over the place, but she works with it and has some deliveries for the ages

“I knooow”

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Harry Kim gets on my fuckin nerves because everybody on the show talks about him like he’s 17 when the actor looks 30. Everyone treats him like he’s a Wesley Crusher aged fresh out of the academy babe in the woods but he looks like a grown rear end man. Tom is always acting like Harry is a widdle baby brother when the actors look basically the same age. This also how I feel about Kylo Ren, his parents talk about him like he’s a rebellious teen going through a murder phase when the actor looks close to 40.

Kylo is supposed to be a manchild, stuck in an inappropriately prolonged edgy phase of adolescent revolt. The character is 30. His parents are stuck in the past about it because he’s estranged from them and memories of his youth are all they have left.

With Harry it’s far more ridiculous because Voyager is out there for years. Like, even if he had been Wesley at the start, he would still be a grown man by the end of the show. This man spent almost his entire 20s stuck with the same ~100 people and they treat him like the intern right through to the end lmao

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

No Dignity posted:

I liked when the first liberal said 'have you no shame sir' to Trump in 2017 and he immediately imploded and went away forever

prescient isn’t the term I would use. It’s boomer self-congratulation about how they shot down McCarthy and saved the day

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone still have the old BYOB (or FYAD?) gifs with Barclay in the purple uniform and O’Brien beaming blunts?

https://youtu.be/bQVc79FE5Bo

Should be in here somewhere
Nb don’t watch at work

Wth, got the weed but no Barclay one. Let me look

Here it is on imgur lol. Save it while you can!

Anyway it was FYAD guy DocEvil=weird twitter guy @fart=Jon Hendren=the guy who told Smash Mouth to eat eggs

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 21, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fisher was still alive for Rogue One but around the time of ep8 she died (probably from watching it lol), so they were up poo poo creek because they already killed off Han and Luke. So in an effort to give the literal dead woman some presence, they fired up carrie_fisher_1983.exe again for a flashback in ep 9. That’s probably where people got confused

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

So what did they do, assimilate all the colonists and nuke the city. IIRC they say it was "scooped" out right? Or is that from The Neutral Zone?

I think they literally picked up the city and took it away. Like how they do a resection of the Enterprise saucer in Q Who

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Khanstant posted:

My pitch for Picard season 1 assuming they force me to invoke Borg: the Borg collective has fallen in love and she wants Locutus to be her maid of best man honour. Picard is suspicious at first, but after several standalone self contained adventures learns all the right moral lessons, and becomes suspicious of the Other Collective the Borg want to marry. The finale is a dilemma of Picard needing to decide to try and stop the wedding, or make a tough choice to cut out the rogue individualist virus element in the Other Collective causing it to have discord and the secret plot to destroy Borg without merging in matrimony.

Then at the eleventh hour Okona crashes in to sweep the Other Collective off its feet

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

He muad’dips at the end of Messiah. Then in Children he returns to muad’dab on others

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The saucer is a flying saucer, no different from in Forbidden Planet or Day the Earth Stood Still. As to the rest of it…you’d have to ask Jeffries I guess. It’s a weird one, for sure.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Klingons in “Errand of Mercy”, “Trouble with Tribbles”, “Friday’s Child” etc are just more or less generic authoritarian foreign bads. There’s very little of the future Klingons in their character. From the way they’re written you’d hesitate to even call them orientalist—that’s all in the visual design with the brown paint and Fu Manchus. Where this starts to change is actually in TOS S3, “Day of the Dove” presents characters who would be almost totally recognizable as 90s Klingons if someone slapped foreheads on them. They are still authoritarian foreign bads, and actually exoticized a fair bit more than in some other portraits, but in this episode the writers are at pains to criticize the depiction of Klingons up to this point as just so much nationalistic bullshit. Imo Klingon culture begins here: we see a lot of interesting stuff like their hunting culture, their swordsmanship, their proverbs, their weird combination of machismo and (60s-style) gender equality, and ultimately their willingness to stop the war and meet humans as allies, without necessarily ceasing to be belligerent assholes. “Only a fool fights in a burning house.” The biggest ingredient missing (apart from the foreheads) is the Worfian fixation on honor.

The TOS Romulans are interesting too, although likewise very different from their successors. The original Romulans are just a mirror of humanity/Vulcanity, right down to their obviously classical inspiration. They’re not some wacky other, they’re “of a kind” with us. This is then turned around by “Enterprise Incident” where the focus is on exploiting our similarities to learn their weird and sexy ways so we can clown on them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

There’s the guys in Code of Honor. Probably best not to revisit that though

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The 90s Klingon “fashion” goes back to the redesign in TMP, though I can’t think of a female version of it until the bodybuilder lieutenant Klaa is simping after in Final Frontier. The Lursa and Betor look is basically that, but with cleavage window. Only a couple years apart irl.

By contrast Chris Lloyd’s disposable mistress in Search for Spock is wearing like an evening gown.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

He was on the way out the door himself, seems like this was a punitive assignment though I'm not sure what Sisko did to earn it.

Starfleet HR saw the guy whose wife got slaughtered by the Borg designing a Borg-killing ship and decided to move him along before he went postal

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Could Odo make two heads and have them make out with himself?

He could not, his self loathing is too powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sash! posted:

Those vocals are, in fact, Riker singing

No one’s going to bend or break him (due to Jonathan Frakes’ pre-existing back injury)