Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Has there really been anything about the new Trek series besides "it's gonna be in the Kelvin universe"? I have this deep fear that they're going to try to do Star Trek: The Next JJeneration and it's just going to be awful.

It's supposed to premiere in January of 2017, right? I remember when Enterprise was announced/launched and we had waaay more details in the 6 months leading up to it than we have about the new series now. Like, I remember promotional material and TV Guide covers and cast information and all that stuff being released like near the beginning of Voyager's seventh season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Nessus posted:

It would make sense to place it long enough after the JJ Trek films to avoid the problem of "OK, so where's the guys who now command feature film salaries?"

It's also conceivable that they place the series around the time of the Kelvin. That would keep it "canon" in both universes.

Seriously doubt they will though. My gut feeling says it's going to be in the JJ universe and most likely aroundish the same time as the new movies.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rhyno posted:

Just got back from Beyond, loved it. There is a scene towards the end that caught me off guard and I absolutely teared up. You'll all know what I'm talking about once you see it.

God yes. I teared up.

Gonz posted:

That whole scene was very touching and kicked me right in the nuts.

That said, the movie owned. Owned owned owned. The Yorktown was one of the best settings in any sci-fi movie, period, and the JJ-prise swarm destruction sequence was fantasically shot. The cinematography as a whole was amazing, too. Justin Lin knows how to do action. Definitely go see it this weekend, Star Trek goons. In 3D if you can. Tight storytelling, a lot of humor sprinkled in there, and fan service galore from drat near every iteration of the old movies and old TV series.

It didn't really have the galactic or planetary scale of the last two, but I don't feel that it hurt the overall story.

You've done well, Simon Pegg & Co. You've very done well, indeed.

They really made the JJerprise look quite good and finally seem to have found the angles that suit her. That being said, I'm also disappointed that the -A doesn't look a bit more different. Overall though the pacing was fantastic, the fanservice was pretty subtle and not at all hamfisted like it has been at various points in the other movies, the score was great, the characterization was far better than we've gotten in the previous movies. Yorktown looks amazing and it's the first time in a long time when I felt actually impressed with Star Trek depicting the Federation as truly being something grand and epic, on the scale of civilizations. My only big complaint is that Idris Elba probably should have been fleshed out more, and they probably should have not waited quite so long for the reveal about who he is.

And the scenes with Sulu's family were a great addition and thank gently caress it's finally been done after 50 years of Star Trek, but they still felt a little tacked-on. Yes, as a gay audience member, during most of the discussion about how Krall was planning to attack Yorktown, I kept thinking "but that's where Sulu's hubby and kid are, don't hurt them :ohdear: , and that is powerful. As is the shot of Sulu keeping his daughter's photo on the helm console and that totally-not-obvious-at-all light glinting off of his wedding band to make it noticeable. But couldn't they have found an actor for his husband to make it seem more convincing? Could they have at least had a peck on the cheek? Could he or their daughter at least been given a name (and her name better be Demora)?

Drone fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 22, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Takei is great, but he doesn't own the character, and he does not have the authority to speak on behalf of all gays. He also occasionally has the habit of overinflating his own importance to the modern franchise. I for one am 100% happy that Sulu turned out to be the gay one and not Ensign Ricky who got shoehorned in.

Drone fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 22, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I decided to make a list of subtle fanservice callback moments but my memory is already somewhat fuzzy after sleeping on it. Wonder if anyone else caught them / see if maybe I'm chasing ghosts:

• The entire birthday scene with McCoy and Kirk. McCoy toasting "perfect eyesight and a full head of hair", which is fun because in the exact same birthday scene in WoK, McCoy has to give Kirk a pair of antique glasses since he is allergic to the drug that would cure his farsightedness.
  • "Scotch was invented by a little old lady in Russia."
  • Tons and tons of re-using old Prime universe sound effects. Lots of TNG-era computer beeps and boops, the hologram activation/deactivation sound.
  • "Giant green space hand"

There were a ton more but I can't for the life of me remember them anymore. :( Will need to wait until I get a chance to see the movie again.

Kazinsal posted:

The future of Trek is gonna be okay after all.

Whoa now, let's not say things we may later regret. CBS could still gently caress things up.

The future of Trek movies is definitely a lot brighter, though.

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 23, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I definitely didn't notice the sounds but I think maybe I've just seen so much Trek I just process that subconsciously as "yep, that's what a hologram is supposed to sound like."

Yeah, there were a lot of signature LCARS beepboops.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The new warp effect is fantastic too, that outside view one when the Enterprise is zooming along toward Yorktown.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FilthyImp posted:

I think that Franklin has to be Post-Finale ENT. War is over, Federation established, more ships built in the NX-Style and that's when dude gets his captaincy. I thought they said the Franklin was the first Warp 5 ship, so let's say the NXprise achieves Warp 5 but can't hold it, while the Franklin can maintain it without a problem.

Yeah, timeline-wise that's the only thing that's a bit sketch, since they say it was the first Warp 4 ship, but it's also got a higher registry number than the NX-01. I choose to interpret that it was a ship that was launched before NX-01 as a testbed for Warp 4, then mothballed when the NX-01's Warp 5 engine quickly made it obsolete, only then to be brought back up to spec/recommissioned with a new registry number in time for the Romulan War and then used as an exploration ship afterwards.

That's the only way I can make it gel with the Enterprise timeline. That also gets backed up by the Franklin crew uniforms looking more advanced than those we saw in ENT. They're clearly of the same design lineage, but would reflect a few years' advancement after the Enterprise timeline. The Franklin's supply of gadgets (the medical stuff McCoy uses, the transporter, etc.) are also clearly Enterprise-era.

Did anyone catch Jayla's line about how she learned English? The line came out a bit muddled in the theater I saw it in and I couldn't hear it. Also, she's a fun character who worked really well alongside Scotty and I hope we see her in the next one, she could make a good "new" main cast member since we now have the really unfortunate case of Anton Yelchin no longer being with us to play Chekov :(

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 23, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kesper North posted:

I liked Jayla too. Also thank goodness no shoehorned love interest. She's just her own person, though she bonds most with Scotty due to their shared mechanical bent. And the "offer to join Starfleet, if you want it" sounds like a pretty clear "if the fans will it" to me. Personally, I'd be quite fine with it.

The only special lady in Scotty's life should be the Enterprise. I have a really hard time picturing otherwise.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Been listening to the soundtrack. Man, I love everything about the Yorktown theme.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Timby posted:

To hell with the Excelsior, it's ugly.

You take that right the gently caress back.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Honestly the ship doesn't look THAT awful. It is pretty bad though, but if their intent was to just make McQuarrie's design look slightly better while preserving most of its key points, they did that well.

That CGI is awful though... honestly, they couldn't have at least gotten Tobias Richter to do it? The music is totally unfitting for a ship called "Discovery". The Federation/Klingon hybrid idea is interesting enough I guess, especially since at the end we get the decloaking sound effect as the title comes up on the screen. While I really hope it's not set in the time between TOS and TNG, the deflector design at least looks like it very well could be... it's basically an Excelsior deflector.

But yeah though, echoing everyone others have said about how Star Trek Beyond got me really hype for new Trek, only to have that hype thoroughly deflated by CBS's really poo poo announcement. While Paramount and the movie staff are going to be breathing new life into the franchise, CBS is going to be making the exact same mistakes it made with Voyager and Enterprise and delivering something that is mediocre at best. And on a lovely streaming platform to boot.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kirk sure did take his loving time sounding abandon ship though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Timby posted:

To hell with the Excelsior, it's ugly.

Timby posted:

Ugh, I hate that giant space mushroom (much like I hate almost all of ILM's Trek designs).

Sorry you hate all things Cool and Good. Are you a big Ent-E fan or something?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Big Mean Jerk posted:

internal spacedocks domt make any sense. If something happens, you've created a giant traffic jam as everyone scrambles for the door. The whole design is just to increase tension during the Stealing The Enterprise sequence,

In non-canon sperg stuff at least (or maybe even in the designer's notes, who knows), they could pressurize the inside of the mushroom to make it an actual dry dock. So it makes sense in that respect, at least.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MikeJF posted:

Although it would kind've defeat the point of Spacedock. It's a pity they didn't have the tech to just show bigger doors on the mushroom.

And if I remember correctly, they literally took the shot frame-for-frame from Search for Spock, sliced out the Ent-A from the composite, and inserted the Ent-D because of budget.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

bull3964 posted:

No, it's just free marketing for the movie that's in theaters.

Domestic box office seems pretty glum for this movie. Where ID showed growth day over day throughout the weekend, Beyond has dropped each day. Hopefully they see good returns in the markets yet to open or they won't be able to afford Hemsworth for a 4th movie.

Star Trek classically does very well in non-US markets, so there's no doubt in my mind that the movie will turn a profit.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

bull3964 posted:

One knock on the movie is it still doesn't have a sense of scale in space. The proximity of the Yorktown to the big bad was too coincidental and I felt it was a bit of a cheat that Sulu's family just happened to be living on it. I mean, they are 3 years in to a 5 year mission, but it still kinda feels like they are running around the local neighborhood.

Oh yeah, we just happen to be building our new flagship here as well.

I thought that Sulu's hubby and Demora flew out to Yorktown to meet him. I'm almost positive Sulu said something like "glad you could make it" or something like that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Baronjutter posted:

What happens to a plane when it loses power? Spaceships are just planes in space.

What? No. That's not how physics works.

That being said, that the Enterprise fell to the planet is also a really dumb complaint, considering Trek has never, ever gotten orbital mechanics correctly.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

WampaLord posted:

Do you need the concept of humor explained to you by Joe Piscapo, Mr. Data?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZpTojhnKqM&t=111s

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tunicate posted:

were they even in orbit?

If we wanna get super pedantic about it, as long as they were influenced more by the gravity of the planet than by its sun, yes, they were in orbit

:goonsay:

No, I don't think they were.

WampaLord posted:

"Captain, that last attack has left us in an unstable orbit. Given the speed that the Enterprise is going, I have calculated that we will impact the surface in X minutes" where X is whatever is most dramatic.

There, problem solved.

This also destroys any tension caused by that entire scene, ruins the pacing of the entire event, and shatters the illusion that everyone has of the drama that is unfolding. Congrats, everyone in the theater has been put to sleep.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

McCoy: You mean I have to die to discuss your insights on death?
Spock: Forgive me, Doctor. I am receiving a number of distress calls.
McCoy: I don't doubt it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Rhyno posted:

Jerry Doyle was a goddamned rear end in a top hat but Garibaldi was such a great character.

I saw him at a convention once and he was probably the funniest and most personable of the celebs/panelists there. While it may be easy to forget in the age of defriending, unlikes, and ignore buttons, lovely political views don't necessarily make someone an rear end in a top hat.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

AnxiousApatosaurus posted:

Re: post ST09 Romulan chat: I just watched TNG's Reunification the other night and given that Spock stays on Romulus to assist the movement and the next time we see him is ST09 where he is openly assisting the Romulan government with advanced Federation tech, did reunification succeed?

No. The implication is that the Hobus supernova was threatening many worlds, not just Romulan ones, so the Federation's decision to intervene was pretty easy to make. And even if it was only Romulus, I'm sure the Federation would have offered anyway. Something similar happened with the Klingons and the Praxis incident.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Been out of the temporal causality loop for a bit. Do we know anything new about the upcoming Trek series in the last couple of months? Last I saw was the really ugly-lookin' ship reveal this summer around the time Beyond came out.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

mossyfisk posted:

Operation -- Annihilate!

"Okay, we need one more episode to finish the show. Anyone got any ideas?"

"No, we've all run out."

"Okay, let's just rip off a Heinlein novel."

"Sounds good."

Unless I'm completely misremembering, wasn't Heinlein consulted a couple times for TOS? Or was that Harlan Ellison?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Nessus posted:

One thing I've noticed on my DS9 trip is that I'm partway through season 2 and I don't think there's been a female Cardassian character. Did they run out of the blue rouge for their headspoon or what?

There are several more. The one who wants to bone O'Brien mentioned above (and her scientist buddy), Kira at one point, the judge at I wanna say O'Brien's? sham courtroom trial, and an Obsidian Order agent or two. And best of all, Mila, though she doesn't pop up until much later and is underutilized.

Outside of the Obsidian Order though, I don't think we ever see a female member of the actual military. I wanna say it's mentioned somewhere that Cardassian society has a large degree of stratification when it comes to civilian work (where it's sortof implied that women dominate, at least in things like the sciences and judiciary) and military work (where it's all male, all the time).

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Oct 17, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

That description comes eerily close to describing the Federation as Warhammer 40k orks.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Cat Machine posted:

Were days of the week still a thing in Star Trek? I know they had Tuesday Night Poker but you never really hear anyone else reference them

Yeah, the spergs from that office of temporal affairs or whatever in "Trials and Tribble-ations" knew that the whole Tribble incident from TOS occurred on a Friday.

I imagine days of the week are used informally, kinda like how the US uses Standard for some measurements and Metric for others.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

His favorite fruit is pineapple! What amazing character development.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Star Trek: Cetacean Ops. It's just a bunch of humpback whales in comically-oversized Starfleet uniforms blooooping at each other.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Evek posted:

Don't forgot Kurtzman is in on this as well. At least Fuller's picks will be doing the showrunning for now.

Small favors that Orci is nowhere near this thing.

Jokes on you, next week CBS will announce Orci is in as show-runner alongside Stuart Baird.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dirty posted:

At this point, hating on Discovery feels like something people just really want to do.

While it's true that the Trek thread has generally been pessimistic about new Trek stuff prior to its release, opinion on Discovery was soured from the moment they mentioned that the new series would pilot CBS's lovely online streaming service. Doesn't matter that the concept could be really cool.

It's like saying that Discovery would be the pilot program on a relaunched UPN. Wedged in between reboots of Shasta McNasty and Hangin' with Mister Cooper.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

WickedHate posted:

If anything Sanctuary Districts are too optimistic given Republican views on the homeless are less "fallen on hard times" and more "parasites that need to be shot".

Something I've been wondering lately: I watched Encounter at Farpoint last weekend for the first time in like a decade, and they mention that Q's kangaroo court is from the 2080's. How does that gel with the fact that First Contact happened in 2063, and that it transformed human civilization pretty much overnight? Were there holdouts somewhere on Earth where the post-nuclear society held sway for a significant amount of time after the Vulcans showed up and became our babysitters? Why would the Vulcans allow that?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kazinsal posted:

I think in the post-atomic horror, humanity was looking to get the hell off Earth, and the nascent warp drive technology coupled with some Vulcan handholding (or restraint, depending on how you look at it) made for an effective way to start getting the "civilization" out. The post-atomic horror is what was left behind.

FTL wasn't what made the Federation a utopia. At-will nearly limitless energy-to-matter conversion (matter-antimatter reactors hooked up to replicators) did, and that didn't show up until at least the late 23rd century.

It was actually the New World Economy or whatever it's called, which was implemented around the start of the 22nd century. At least, that's when money/disease/poverty/hunger were all made obsolete on Earth.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Zurui posted:

Holy poo poo, how did I never notice this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdNbVxMNFvk

Man, imagine how much better First Contact could have been if it were a TNG/DS9 crossover. I feel like that was a thing that they planned until they realized it would be impractical due to budget/time constraints or whatever, right?

Picard and Sisko are stranded on the Enterprise instead of Picard and Data, working out the weird stress between them (and Sisko's contempt for Picard flaring again alongside his grief for Jennifer as he is being confronted with the Borg again), O'Brien/Geordi/Barclay all geeking out over engineering poo poo down on the planet, Kira leading a group of stranded officers somewhere belowdecks in a resistance against the Borg.

It wouldn't even need the full DS9 cast, just Sisko/Worf/a few others. And then it's a perfect setup for a DS9 movie.

This exists in my headcanon.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The_Doctor posted:

Every time it's brought up, it makes me sad that that's not what we got. DS9 got shafted in terms of movie stuff. Even Janeway got in on Nemesis.

Honestly, I feel like the Defiant was small enough it could have fitted in an Enterprise shuttlebay.

Oh yeah, and my headcanon TNG/DS9 Crossover version of First Contact involves the Ent-D instead of the Ent-E. Its destruction was delayed by one movie.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Apollodorus posted:

Even in an amateur mockup that looks pretty sweet. Given what we saw in Generations and considering that First Contact had a substantially higher budget, I bet the Ent-D model would have looked reeeeeally good with ILM's effects.

It would also have made the Borg takeover much scarier, since we'd remember all those sets from TNG moments like "aww, that's where Sonia Gomez spilled coffee on the captain" or "hey there's that hallway section again, you know the one, so sad to see it all Borged up now."

And the Starfleet officer who is slowly being assimilated and begs Picard for a mercy kill is actually the skant guy from Encounter at Farpoint.

Hell of a movie this could have been.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MikeJF posted:

Originally First Contact was going to blow the Defiant up at the start. DS9's writers were slightly annoyed when they found out.

Was there even a throwaway line in DS9 about the Defiant fighting in that battle? It went from "basically a wreck" to "fighting the Dominion and poo poo" in like a week, chronologically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

remusclaw posted:

Jesus, all those little loving ledges all over the bridge. People likely get hurt all the drat time just walking around the thing, not even taking into account when they get into a fight and get thrown around that fucker.

I'm pretty certain the only Trek bridge that is wheelchair-accessible is the Galaxy class.

Defiant comes a close second but there's a little raised section under the captain's chair.