Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That makes sense, Baseball is very stupid and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Well I think Picard has so far managed not to poo poo the bed.

Given his age that seems unlikely.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Dark Star's sign in B5 is a butt hole and that will always be worth a laugh.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Prurient Squid posted:

Temporarily I thought you meant that sci fi with Kevin Sorbo as the captain.

Andromeda. Which wasn't great but had some interesting characters.

The captain was not one of them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dukat is very funny so yes

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I can't even unicycle normally and Gates McFadden is there doing it in heels and stirrup pants. That's some King poo poo

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

And everyone knows that the cool underworld is in Qo'noS, not anywhere where the feds run the show.

Qo'noS has giant courtrooms just FULL of Klingons. They're not lawless, they have all sorts of laws!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What is even in the extended version?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

So he had planned contingencies for his first lead to leave at the end of season one and be replaced by tron

I don't think he had the replacement actor picked out necessarily but he had the mechanism ready if he needed it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

e: also also speaking of 1990s things, lotta casual sexual harassments going on around the old station

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like it seems improbable that there would be no disabilities left by the days of Star Trek, just because there's still a lot of accidents out there. In TOS they had full-body paralysis. I don't know how you fix something like colorblindness.

Starfleet personel get taken to The Farm when this happens. It's a nice place.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Entropic posted:

This was always least thought-out part of the Trill lore. It's repeatedly implied that the symbionts themselves are supposed to be sentient beings in their own right, but in practice we only ever see them function as squishy hard drives for storing humanoid memories, with no apparent thoughts or feelings or desires of their own.

I definitely got the opposite vibes. The host basically dies as an ego and is taken over by the worm. Who might take on a few hobbies and quirks from the host but it's the worm driving the boat.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No Dignity posted:

That's how it appears in the original TNG episode but we wouldn't be having this discussion about Jadzia and Ezri if that were true, in DS9 it seems like a fairly equal joining

What I said is in no way countered by ezri and jadzia acting differently though. The worm is going to be different in different hosts.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No Dignity posted:

I'm not sure what you're seeing then, they both retain their memories and strong elements elements of their prior personalities but also they're completely subsumed by the symbiont? What tells you this?

Watching the show.

They both act as different people, and that one episode letting all of dax's previous iterations out to play also shows that they're all different people.

But like, that person isn't the host. The person the host was, before union, is dead. They are never coming back. They can't change or learn. That person, in every way that matters, is dead.

In their place is the symbiont who is, certainly effected by the process and is colored by the person the host was at the point of union. But importantly they can still access the memories of their prior unions and who they were back then.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McSpanky posted:

The episode "Invasive Procedures" disagrees with this. The guy who steals the Dax symbiont becomes more confident, more strong-willed and gains access to all of the symbiont's host memories, but he's fundamentally still the same person he was before joining. He still wants to abscond with the symbiont, is still fine with Dax dying and still ultimately doesn't give a poo poo about Sisko despite having Curzon's personality remnant in him.

If Tom Riker gets to exist because one example against the standard information, then so does the worm thief.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McSpanky posted:

I think, crucially, he's the only example we have (in DS9) of someone who gets a symbiont and then loses it without dying, and when he loses it he just goes back to the way he was before he got it. There's no plethora of counter-examples to call it an outlier.

At the end of the day Trek is really bad about having consistency with basically anything world building wise, so it's mostly all vibes based anyway.

Like, in the other star trek thread i have explained why teleporters can't just clone people or why the theory that the federation can just replicate anything everywhere doesn't actually work for a lot of stuff and have to end every post with "Please ignore the times the shows ignore this info"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, but you can't have the one without the other. If you don't set expectations properly, it's basically meaningless when you change them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

why wasn't Verad part of that episode :thunk:

There wasn't a full melding between Dax and Verad which is why Dax could be removed in the first place is my theory.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tuvix/dog girl crossover

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Feldegast42 posted:

Janeway isn't cool enough to be Scar

Janeway is cooler than some anime dude. Even her cartoon version has a whole 3rd dimension.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Actually I think you'll find that their only responsibility is make number go up. And based on the TNG remastering number doesn't go up.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

I think if you had to pin a definition on it, it's probably more about what it's not than what it is. It's not 26-episode seasons. It's not on broadcast television. Episodes aren't self-contained storylines, but rather one single all-encompassing season-long story.

also more expensive than average.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Not really. It's the lightest of all window dressings. It's like they went through an imgur album of someone's favorite Star Trek moments and just included the things they saw with no context

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Penitent posted:

It really felt like they went to the Star Trek museum in an episode of Star Trek...

Like, okay this is a nitpick that deserves to be in one of the books but it leapt out at me as a way to highlight this thing.

In S3E1 Picard pulls out the ressikan flute from the Inner Light episode. It's one of the very best episodes of TNG. Even decades later it still makes me all misty eyed. It's a very popular episode. In fact the flute from that episode sold for $48,000 at auction. It was one of the highest priced items from TNG, and as far as I can see the only things that beat it out were ship models.

Clearly they knew about the flute being this big deal so they had to have it in their show.

But since it was sold, they had to make a new one.

But it looks like they made it based off someone's description of what they remembered it looked like. They didn't even just....look at the episode!

And it's not complicated. It's totally non-functional. They just needed some vaguely tube-ey shaped things and a bit of machining.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tighclops posted:

Everything in the first season of that show felt ultra slapped together and cheap, at least the clips I've seen make the most recent one look like it's had a little effort put into how things look, even if that look is just STO on low graphics settings

Sure, but that's just a money thing. Which apparently they spent a lot more on this last season. The one in s3 is well made. But my point is that it's a well made not very good copy.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

It's fine.

nah

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, the worm people only ever get mentioned in LD later on and also in the Star Trek MMO

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Nearing the end of DS9 S4 and man this has a lot of good eps. Though I will say that while I like a good Gul Dukat episode I worry that this season might be making him a little bit too likable. Yeah he’s a complex and well-rounded character who contains multitudes but like he also did the space holocaust and it’s sometimes hard to reconcile.

I wouldn't worry about it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ship size to crew needs isn't a linear relationship.

It depends a lot on designed endurance and what missions it's going for. The defiant was a ship wrapped around some big guns and was meant to be used close to stations and planets.

Voyager was meant to do long cruises away from starbases all on their own, and while it was designed with a greater ability to react to threats, it's still not really a warship single tasker like the defiant.

Edit: The Gerald R Ford US supercarrier is 1092 feet long and 134 foot beam. The MSC Irinia, the largest cargo ship in the world, has a length of 1312 feet and a beam of 201 feet.

The container ship has a crew of 34, the Ford's crew size is 5500 ish.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 30, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Alternatively: There is nothing interesting about anything in Disco.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Winn is 100% absolutely not sincere and never has been at all. She's Joel Osteen but in Space.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

i don't get why everyone acts like changelings are the most devious lifeform and thing to worry about but they have psychics running around all over the place and hardly anyone concerned in the least

It's because there's basically no telepath in the galaxy who won't tell you they are a telepath and announce to everyone around you what you're thinking.

zoux posted:

I don't get why every changeling except Odo and Laas can do humanoid faces of any species but keep their weird smooth faces when in their base changeling mode

Because they're bigots fam. They think "solids" are inferior life forms and so when they have to be in some humanoid shape they prefer to be in one that doesn't look like the others.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The thing that strikes me as weird about the wormhole aliens is that while the Prophets are all utterly up their own asses about ~linear beings~ and uttering lines so full of ominous portent even the main characters struggle to comprehend them... the Pah Wraiths (who also came from the wormhole, right?) just seem like any other people, except consumed with a weird blood feud against the Prophets.

Like, shouldn't the Pah Wraiths also be ~non-linear beings~?

Yea but they were kicked out of the wormhole so they're linear now.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

I don't think Picard did the wrong thing

Picard always does the wrong thing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The book "Vendetta" is a pretty good read if you want pre-voyager Borg.

I definitely read this book as a teenager but I remember exactly nothing from it so I just bought it and am re-reading it. And the first line was Picard putting his hand through his full thick head of hair and chuckled.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Contrary to your opinion, not everyone who disagrees with you on the internet is angry. You are not the sole rational person posting.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Oh get off the cross, we need the wood.

To build DVD shelves apparently.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The book "Vendetta" is a pretty good read if you want pre-voyager Borg. It also put forth that the Planet Killer in TOS was built as a Borg weapon, eating the scooped out planets the Borg left behind (this was when they still did that.)

It also has a great prologue about an arrogant species that was unbothered by an approaching Borg cube because they were sure their super advanced AI defense systems would keep them at bay and the AI instead had enough of the poo poo they asked it to do and immediately surrendered to the Borg, printing it one final message to the leaders of the planet

"AT LAST"

It also has someone rescued from the collective that didn't have as good an outcome as Picard.

It also has a Ferengi privateer that thought they were going to make mad profit negotiating with the Borg and ended up getting himself assimilated.

Oh god this book is so dumb. It's painful. Geordi is clearly about to pull another Brahms and some starfleet captain saved a bunch of colonists from death by evacuating them to his ship, then, with all those colonists onboard, fired on a ship that is clearly more powerful than his ship to protect houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

skasion posted:

Mulgrew’s good. Janeway’s character writing is all over the place, but she works with it and has some deliveries for the ages

“I knooow”

"We all make our own hell, Mister Lessing. I hope you enjoy yours"