Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Anora posted:

I watched a few joke compilations of the show on youtube, which were actually pretty good. Whoever does the jokes in that show knows something about timing. Then I watched a whole episode, and hmm, well, the joke guy has something.

Tara can do a good voice over, as seen in Raven. It's just that she seems to like doing the squeeky Bubbles voice.

She hasn't been able to do the Bubbles voice right since at least 2002

Also bought Gotham By Gaslight today, and overall a decent enough movie, and while the execution of the twist was pretty good, it's kinda nonsensical in how it relates to how said character was portrayed earlier in the movie, also it kinda had a fairly blatant non-ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

He's basically Ultimate Supreme Executive Chairman Drek, which makes sense since Richardson also voiced Drek

I'm still mad they recast Drek for the PS4 game and Movie, his new voice just doesn't have the right kind of slime to it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I was gonna ask how the show ended since so many people seem ravenous for it to return. I assumed it had some kind of cliffhanger or something. Has there been any new info on the DC streaming thing and its original programs?

It had a pretty notorious non-ending of a last episode that was honestly really goddamn depressing(personally I just ignore it's existence as best I can and pretend the last episode was the end of the Brotherhood of Evil arc)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

From what I recall, the show felt like it had gotten pretty tired by the point it ended. I think in the penultimate season all the main characters had gotten about as much character growth as any of them were going to get (Beast Boy and Starfire never had full arcs centered around them, even though they had their fair share of individual episodes). The last season was pretty much a victory lap, where instead of building further upon anything or continuing the show's old formula, the team split up globetrotting and meeting up with various young superhumans around the planet. I can't quite remember if the show was buried in scheduling or if it was just one of those periods where I trailed off of watching TV.

It had a good run, not cut down in its prime at all. The way American TV works, it promotes successful shows to run on and on forever until they start to wear out. Really great shows that were cancelled before their time are way in the minority.

Starfire didn't get a full arc, but Beast Boy you could argue got two of them, the Terra arc revolved heavily around him, and the Brotherhood of Evil arc was definitely an arc for him as it centered on villains from his original team(kinda a bit of a plot hole when you think about it that despite being involved at the very start of the arc the Doom Patrol had no involvement in it's resolution)

Also if the show did come back, the best way to do it would be to do more episodes in the vein of the Titans East and HIVE 5 episodes

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 31, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I still think he's Jason Todd!

Same

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'd say it has to do with "nerd" media having a long history of loving over the fans with things like dropped plot points or unresolved cliffhangers, so lots of people end up really disliking anything being vague or unexplained, and similarly it's why a lot of cartoon fans have become so vocal against "filler" episodes these days if a cartoon is remotely actiony or has even the slightest bit of an ongoing plot

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Say what now? I never actually read that comic..

During that period DC was insistent on having Superman be the only living Kryptonian, so whenever they wanted to introduce a character who had been Kryptonian in the old continuity they would change it so they were something else, Supergirl in that period for example was an artificial lifeform with shape changing abilities

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

In fact, they convinced everyone that Clark Kent strangely vanishing at the same time Superman died didn't mean he was Superman by having Matrix (that Supergirl) turn into him and hide under some rubble after Supes came back, so Supes could be seen "rescuing" Clark.

Personally I like best the excuse Clark used for disappearing for two months during the Bizarro arc in All-Star Superman where he claimed he got trapped in his bathroom and survived due to having 3 gift baskets and the complete works of Shakespeare on hand

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

To be fair when you have more than a thousand shorts made over an approximately 40 year time period there's bound to be a few stinkers and shorts that aged poorly, and considering how small a minority of the total shorts fall into that category it's honestly pretty impressive

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

And as a kid, I never saw the overtly racist toons on Saturday morning. Looney Tunes helped shape my sense of humor. Growing up in the early 70s, I had virtually no exposure to Disney cartoons unless they came on The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights (which was rare). Their toons were bland and unfunny compared to Bugs and company.

Exactly, maybe 20 to 30 shorts at the most are offensive all the way through, and those pretty much never got broadcast on TV(except that one Speedy Gonzalez short I mentioned before), most of the other offensive bits are exactly that; very brief moments that often got edited out of the TV versions anyways

Also this warning label from the DVD sets I feel sums up the best way to approach old offensive media;

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Speaking as a Mexican born and raised in Mexico

Speedy Gonzales is loving awesome.

For every other short of his I agree, but have you ever seen his very first short, cause goddamn is it horrid(doesn't help that it's rather unfunny by Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies standards)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Best episode is still definitely Oil Drums

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

Wasn't WW created by a dude with a bondage fetish?

Yup, he also invented the lie detector, and was in a polygamous relationship with two women

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Calaveron posted:

And turtles shows always get weird in the last seasons, but in a good way

And the comics are ALWAYS weird as hell(for example the Archie series had a giant flying cow head as a major recurring character)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Yeah and they participated in an intergalactic wrestling federation and they all got new suits. Raph kept his, an all black gimpsuit, for a long time

Raphael did at least have a good reason to keep his though, he pointed out it was good for stealth purposes, with Splinter showing approval for that kind of thinking(the Archie series was pretty good at depicting Splinter in his role as teacher)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

They're including almost literally everyone from the OG She-Ra cartoon and toy-line, though.

The problem is most of the She-Ra characters not borrowed from He-Man suck balls, and I say that as a massive MOTU geek

Lurdiak posted:

What's Hordak without Skeletor to bicker with?

I mean don't get me wrong, this show looks neat and I'm obviously not the target audience. I'm just being a big nerd.

The problem is depending on how restrictive they are being, we might not even have Hordak or any of the other members of the Evil Horde who originated from the MOTU line and not the Princess of Power line

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Extremely dang.

Hopefully I'm wrong and they're just keeping He-Man and Skeletor away while letting She-Ra get established, and then they'll come into play after that movie Sony is doing comes out next year

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

The 80s and early 90s were weirdly obsessed with the human form, as well as being the period where the separation of the genders was being ratcheted up. Women were all being pushed down the line of looking like Barbie supermodels, narrow waists, busty, big hair, and all that, which there have been many thinkpieces, studies, and campaigns to come back from that. There's still a lot of issues with women in TV and movies all trying to go towards the one, ideal body type.

Depictions of men went down an entirely different path, with depictions starting to get more into the muscle-y bodybuilding physiques. Bodybuilders became movie stars, and it somehow became a thing for movie superheroes to even wear ridiculous fake muscle plates in their costumes in an attempt to duplicate comics' unrealistic outfits that conform to every crevice. The He-Man action figures were particularly bad, they were just solid bricks of steroids only vaguely resembling a humanoid form. The main difference is, through all of that, there were still dumpy guys, fat guys, and old guys all over the place, sometimes even being the lead character who gets with one of those barbie girls. There's still some unrealistic standards floating around (apparently extreme dehydration is still a thing they do for some action movies), but they're not nearly as all-encompassing.

And modern cartoons are moving away from both stereotypes, which has its own ups and downs, but I like it better for the most part. If the 80s are comparable to all those greco-roman naked statues, then right now we're in the period of all those medieval knights fighting snails, which are much better.

How dare you call He-Man toys bad

business hammocks posted:

There’s a series on netflix about famous toy franchises called The Toys That Made Us, and the one about He-Man features the executive who made He-Man explaining that they hired a child psychologist to learn what boys wanted to play with, and the result was that they wanted to identify with someone powerful who could do anything, as kids basically can’t do anything. So 80s boys identified with and were excited to see themselves as huge muscle guys. Aspiration or realistic expectations weren’t part of it because the focus was on what He-Man could do rather than what he looked like: he looked like that to signify how much agency he had.

Girl toys haven’t really followed pattern with imaginative play. She-Ra was an attempt to duplicate that formula with plagiarized Barbie dolls, and seems to have had mixed results, as I’ve never known a woman who cared about She-Ra as a kid (though I’ve known a few who liked He-Man).

Reminds me that I need to watch some more of that series, as well as that new Captain Underpants cartoon

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Something that bugs me about bringing back the older style Teen Titans series is that it doesn't look like they're updating the look at all and man, those character designs haven't really aged well.

Of the main five characters I'd say only Robin's is particularly dated, and the others are designs far superior to pretty much any designs they've had in the comics(really this extends to most characters, especially ones like Jinx)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

What, you have a problem with Amanda Waller cloning Bruce Wayne, impregnating a woman against her will and then trying to murder this weird clone babies entire family?

Funny thing is that despite how awful that all is, it still pales to the bullshit her main continuity counterpart does all the time

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

catlord posted:

I've never heard of that, that sounds interesting. My mum thought Batman was too violent when I was young, so The Batman was my first superhero cartoon and I still have a soft spot for it.

I get the impression that you can read like, two Jeph Loeb Batman comics before you get tired of his style and most people read Long Halloween and Dark Victory first. If they do a Long Halloween adaptation, I hope they cut that last twist, I thought it was good except for that.

The Batman overall holds up pretty well in my opinion

Skwirl posted:

If all you care about is cause and effect and who did what The Long Halloween is a square trying to fit into a circle. If you appreciate for what it is (a Batman story cramming as many villains in as they can in twelve issues) it's fine, and great for a DTV animated movie, but they really shouldn't use the current house style.

Hush has a Batman vs Superman fight that almost makes sense, so that's probably why it gets a movie.

Long Halloween is pretty good, Dark Victory on the other hand has some pretty big flaws, including a very weak final act(especially in how it resolves the mob parts of the story), as well as how it uses Catwoman pretty poorly

So in my opinion while Long Halloween could be adapted with minimal changes, if they adapted Dark Victory as well, I'd honestly suggest keeping the overarching basic plot(Robin becoming Batman's partner, and supervillains becoming the dominant force in Gotham's underworld), but throw out most of the specifics from the original comic

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ryonguy posted:

Dark Victory screams cash grab, and is a complete mess in my opinion.

It had some good moments, but I do agree that it is overall a flawed product

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Man, I prefer Prometheus' inversion where it was 'saw his parents killed in front of him but they were Natural Born Killers-esque criminals.'

It's a shame most of Prometheus's stories after his debut were terrible, cause the concept of an Anti Batman who specifically mirrors Batman in his role as a Justice League member is a pretty novel one*, although personally I'd tweak some aspects even more, like have him have a no kill code like Batman, but for twisted and selfish reasons, like how it makes "the game" more challenging

*I'm not counting Owlman for this

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Yes. This fight (and the one in TDKR) are where "Prep Time" got permanently stapled to Batman's character. It makes him really frustrating to talk about.

Side note: I liked The Batman. The last season is when they started doing a bunch of Justice League build and I remember liking those episodes. When they finally got around to Robin, the series kicked into an overdrive.

Agreed, although the series finale was mediocre

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I like that twist, and yeah, Prometheus never really recovered from his heights of his introduction by Morrison.

I'm picturing him as basically being like how Batman was partway through Return of The Caped Crusaders and he just starts beating the poo poo out of his villains while quoting the Dark Knight Returns Batman, a sudden swerve from cornball to psychopath that is utterly terrifying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFq7C0lmS-A

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

How was the Legion series? You never hear anybody talk about it these days.

Pretty good, honestly better than pretty much any Legion comic I've ever read(which admittedly isn't much)

SlothfulCobra posted:

Does anyone remember Superhero Squad? I thought it was fun, even though it was very much for a younger age set.

It was a really goofy show, sometimes to it's detriment, but it pulled some surprisingly deep cuts in terms of references

Shame they killed off Reptil in the main continuity though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

They did that because they realized they were all mutants.

Wasn't that just because the real Avengers threatened to sue them, and then it became a bit of a running gag that they could never figure out a proper permanent name*(I remember a Thing comic where Flatman showed up and each time he tried saying what his team's name was a member from the team that he was stealing the name from would very blatantly threaten him with harm if he kept using it, so he ended up going through pretty much every team name Marvel had with none of them being able to stick)

*until the most recent GLA series where it turned out that due to various legal issues Flatman's claim to the Avengers name was the only legally valid one left, so as part of getting the rights back the "real" Avengers team gave the GLA permanent recognition as an Avengers team

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

site posted:

i finished the new frontier the other day, and it was so good, so i decided to watch the animated version and it's weird to watch this story played out entirely by choosing a scene here and a scene there with hardly any surrounding context. It feels incredibly disjointed and i'd be curious if you haven't read the book first if it would be coherent at all

Saw the movie almost a decade before I ever got around to reading the comic, and while the comic is overall superior the cartoon version is still pretty good, not to mention does at least one thing superior to the comic, having Batman be involved in the battle against The Centre

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Something neat that got pointed out on another site, if you take the first letter of the first word of each episode name in the new season(there's a leaked list of them) and arrange them in order, it forms a little message

PREPARE THE ANTI-LIFE EQUATION

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

You don't even have to arrange them in any specific order, they're purposefully all spelling that in the order they air.

It's got people speculating that we might get a version of Final Crisis either as the finale for this season or more likely for the next season assuming we get another one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TheHan posted:

When he drops off the Fatherbox to Doctor Cyborg Hal's got white temples and in general looks extremely haggard, which is the look he had when Parallax possessed his body and drove him insane.

To be fair he had the white temples for like at least 5 years before Emerald Twilight happened

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

I just found out there's a free app on my PS4 that lets me watch Spectacular Spider-Man for free. This is a good day.

(Also that weird CG one with NPH as Spider-Man, which is trippy).

Both of which were made by Adelaide Productions, who made a bunch of other really good shows as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a bit of a running theme in the comics of Peter Parker outwardly being an rear end in a top hat to people around him, even though you, the audience, know that he's under a lot of stress from some secret thing going on with his alternate identity. Heck, sometimes he's just stressed about something going on with his aunt and just can't be bothered to communicate with the people around him.

It was sort of a common tactic back in the day to gin up some more interpersonal drama.

He was often even worse about it while Spider-Man, it's one of the reasons why his villains hate him so much, and why most of the hero community used to not like him at all either(and many still don't like him for it)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

on the topic of Sliding Timelines, I really dislike the standard model, but there's a variant of it that I've seen a couple fan concepts use that I really like that I call a Reverse Sliding Timeline, I'll let Tony Lewis of The Original Marvel Universe blog sum up the concept in his own words;

Tony Lewis posted:

First, however, I need to clarify the biggest issue in any such chronological analysis of the Original Marvel Universe: when you start the clock. Time passes at different rates for the characters and the reader. Twelve monthly issues may cover only a few days or weeks in the lives of the characters depicted therein. And so, the thirty-odd years of published stories I’m looking at contain only about half as much time in the lives of the characters. This has been dubbed the Marvel “sliding time scale,” meaning that, as time passes in the real world, the early stories become detached from their historical context and are dragged forward in time. This is because the comics publishers, and most fans, start the clock in the present day and work backwards. (The Fantastic Four formed 12 years ago, they’d say, and would then change the details in the original story to update it to the proper era.) I, on the other hand, would rather anchor the stories at the other end—in 1961—and let it run at its own pace and see what happens when fictional continuity and historical fact collide. So instead we change the details of the later stories to set them in an earlier time. My approach to this was inspired by the cliché of people who were around in November 1963 remembering exactly what they were doing when President Kennedy was shot. I asked myself, how would the various Marvel super-heroes answer that question?

it just feels a lot more elegant in execution compared to the standard model, of course it does have some minor issues, part of the reason Tony is able to make it work for his concept is that he includes a cutoff point for what he considers to be canon for his concept(stretching over a period between 1989 and 1993 depending on the book), so one would probably have to do something similar if one wanted to do a similar concept of their own

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

X-O posted:

That solution sounds terrible for the Marvel Universe. They way they do it is the right way. Yes it makes some thinks a bit wonky but it works way more than it doesn't.

Mind going into more detail as to why you think it's terrible?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I mean, it's really forward thinking that there were gay mutant weddings in the late 60s in 616.

Depends on what event you're describing, cause that's probably after his cutoff point anyways, plus how he had the timeline stretch out doesn't work like that anyways(for example the cutoff point of comics published in the early 90s, would have them in the timeline happen sometime in the mid 70's, basically the roughly 30 years of real world comics would translate to around 15 years of in universe events*)

*it would require a lot of work to make stuff from after the cutoff point work, but that roughly means that comics published today would be happening somewhere between the mid 80's and early 90's or so if I have the math in my head right

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Is all of Young Justice on DC Universe? because I don't think I actually finished the second season and you fuckers are making me curious enough I might want to get a month of it.

Yup, they also have most of the DCAU, and quite a few other DC cartoons on there as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Azubah posted:

I'm disappointed the He-man reboot from a few years ago isn't coming back, I really enjoyed that one.

That came out in 2002, that is way more than a few years ago

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Probably not Conan, no. I guess comicbook writers just get lazy with fantasy backstory names.

Still a bit of a neat character. She has shotguns and hunts monsters.

Nah Marvel actually has Conan's stuff as part of it's canon history as they had the license for a rather long time, then they lost the license to Dark Horse and had to be more vague about it(though they never got rid of it being part of the setting either), then rather recently they got the Conan license back and are now being upfront about those connections again(not to mention having Conan play roles in present day Marvel stuff thanks to time travel)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Toshimo posted:

I want a Hyperborean Age comic, with post-apocalyptic mutants and poo poo for Conan to murderhobo.

That does remind me that Marvel is going to be doing a 2099 comic for Conan soon