Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Mr Phillby posted:

Iirc the reason he got away with the lawsuit was a combination of Archie loving up the paperwork and Sega just not giving a poo poo about the situation.

My understanding was it was like that bit in Bojack Horseman where the Walt Disney Corporation sues Todd over naming his lovely, ill-conceived theme park Disneyland...

Heran Bago posted:

Why do they bold like half the text in comics? No one talks like that and it cheapens the use of bold if you over-use it. It's a weird way to write dialogue.

That used to show up a lot in older comics as a means to convey verbal emphasis on certain words as a means to communicate a particular way of speaking. It probably shows up in old Archie Conis comics because the writers saw other comic creators doing that but didn't understand why...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

The other best part about the Archie Sonic comics was that magical period after Sonic Adventure came out where the art team was frantically attempting to adapt to the updated character designs introduced in those games and failing...

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 4, 2022

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Looper posted:

this is very cool and also far too flattering to ron lim

Thankfully I have a supplemental image for exactly this situation...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

From the examples I've seen of it, Gray's Sonic art is excessively off-model, but almost always in an enjoyable way.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Man, while I disagree with the Adventure-era purists who have a hate-on for all the post-Unleashed games, I can at least understand their position and where it comes from.

Sonic 06 stans are just completely baffling to me.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

you don't have to be a "stan" to recognize good intent and a lot of potential for honest fun

Larryb posted:

Yeah, 06 at least has the blueprints of a good game (they were basically trying to make a Sonic Adventure 3 by the looks of things) and probably would have been better if it’d gotten an extra year or so of development rather than being rushed out the door

See, the problem with that is, if you take away the glitches and other gameplay problems caused by the game's rushed production, you still have to deal with the overly self-serious, nonsense time travel plot and terrible voice acting.

I feel like the only way to really salvage that game's plot would be to do an irreverent, self-aware retelling that basically amounts to "Shadow the Hedgehog is fed up with all this dumb time travel bullshit".

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Palmtree Panic posted:

The Knuckles series better be a Chaotix adaptation.

Or all of Ken Pender’s stories.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

So I finally watched that "Why Eggman Was A Threatening Villain And How He Became A Joke" that Youtube keeps shoving in my face and, well, it just reinforces my belief that the Sonic fandom is trapped in a never-ending loop of thinking the Hedgehog games they grew up with are much better than the ones they have now...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Yeah., even in his original form Eggman was pretty much always supposed to be a giant manchild who could occasionally be threatening when he has to be (the AOSTH cartoon captured this pretty well in my opinion)

The bane of the franchise has always been the contingent of fans and writers who think the games need to be serious stories that deal with serious themes. There's obviously nothing wrong with the games having more serious moments or having moments of heightened emotion and drama, but at the end of the day it's a series about a Looney Tunes-looking hedgehog fighting a fat walrus man who makes robots. The parts of the franchise that succeed at incorporating drama are usually the ones that still keep its comedic character designs and style in mind and balance the drama against that, while the bad ones try to just turn it into a Final Fantasy or shonen battle series knock-off whose tone feels completely incongruous with the design of the characters.

It's just especially amusing to me seeing the wave of nostalgic fans who talk up the writing in the first two Adventure games, because those games' stories are ones that seem way more interesting summarized on Wikipedia than they were in actual execution. Like, there were definitely moments that worked, but they were constantly fighting against the graphical limitations and poor standards of English localization of the time.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Yeah, but it's shonen more in the sense of early Dragonball, but people keep trying to make it how the Western fanbase saw Dragonball Z...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

The interpretation I always like to go with is that Eggman is a really strong advocate of gender equality in the Saturday morning cartoon supervillain industry. Everybody's always talking about the Skeletors, but he wants to see some more of the Evil Lynn's succeed...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Since the English manual mentions that he's "...a romanticist, a feminist, and a self professed gentleman" it sounds like the idea of that being a misinterpretation of the original Japanese was one of those myths that went through a game of half-remembered telephone. Y'know, we start from the premise that the description in the English manual was different than in the original Japanese one, most of the fanbase isn't actually fluent in Japanese but someone vaguely remembers that a common term for "feminist" in Japanese is more akin to "ladies man" or "gentleman" and people just extrapolated backwards.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Looper posted:

there were other writers here and there but those three were the main ones. and don't get me wrong, there is some good stuff in there! and even at its absolute nonsensical worst, early archie is still very funny if nothing else. i suspect the main editor for that period, justin gabrie, was extremely hands off except about very specific things (love triangles usually) because there can be a real lack of consistency between writers, bollers seemed to be the only one who actually read other people's stories and attempted to tie things together. the lowest point of the comic imo is the year-ish period between bollers and gabrie quitting, where penders had just given up and the new editor was clearing a bunch of lovely old stories out of storage, up until 160 when ian flynn and tracy yardley take over

I've been meaning to ask: What's a good jumping-on point for someone who likes the looks of the Yardley/Flynn era of Sonic comics but has little to no interest in the earlier stuff? Is picking up at issue 160 an okay approach? Or is there enough continuity cruft from the earlier comics kicking around that it's going to end up being confusing for a new reader?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

The only bad part about Titan Tails was that he didn't stay like that for the rest of the comic!

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do hear that he's also like this in SatAM, for similar reasons; a big part of his dynamic with Sally is her trying to get Sonic to actually take things seriously.

Self-doubt and being a cocky rear end in a top hat also don't seem incompatible, does strike me as the type who's genuinely cocky but also uses it to cover up his insecurities.

In general, whenever Sonic's actually allowed to have a personality, he's invariably a hilarious jerk. Heck, even in Sonic Boom he's explicitly lazy as gently caress and desperately avoids any responsibility or hard work that doesn't involve beating up bad guys and being hailed as a hero for it.

Actually also comes to mind that's the personality they go for with Mickey Mouse in the... relatively recent shorts where Disney lets him have one for a change; going back to his VERY early characterisation of a lazy jackass who mostly makes his own trouble. (which I also say, is a surprisingly apt characterisation for Disney itself as a whole)

That's why the Sonic Boom interpretation of the character is my favorite: It brings in some of the sass and sarcasm from the early American/UK interpretation, but doesn't push it quite so far as to make him seem like an unlikable jerk.

That and I just think Roger Craig Smith did a really good job voicing him.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Hot take: Boom Amy’s only defining feature as a character is “competent girl”
She’s not a terrible character but she’s usually just the straight-man or the one they use when they need a girl for the plot (because she’s the only one on the show that isn’t crazy or a background character.) You can name defining traits for each of the other main characters: Sonic is the cocky hero, Tails is the boy genius, Knuckles is the strong dumb guy, and Sticks is the paranoid wild card. Amy is… feminine yet competent? I guess it works out well enough for the show though.

Honestly I think most of Amy’s depictions that aren’t just her fawning over Sonic tend to be that way. Sonic Adventure gave her something to work with but it went down the drain more or less immediately afterwards. Now they’re hard pivoting away from her original depiction but don’t seem to know what they want to do with her. It’s not like there’s an issue with the franchise’s female characters in general; Blaze, Rouge, Tangle, etc all have distinct well formed personalities. Meanwhile Amy is… what? a navigator for the resistance? Why? How? She’s only there because Forces decided they needed a navigator and picked a random character, like how it randomly made Knuckles the leader. She doesn’t really do anything in any other modern games either. In the comics she seems like a cross between her Boom depiction and her old one.

In the end though the important thing is that she’s not racist.

Yeah, she seemed to have some goofier qualities in the earliest episodes (ie her ridiculous audition in The Sidekick) but the show pretty quickly settled on "The mom" as her general characterization within the group.

My own take on the direction they should go with Amy: Play her up as competent, but naïve to the point of being slightly detached from reality. Outside of her crush on Sonic one of her most consistent character traits is befriending antagonists like Gamma, Shadow or Silver and helping to redeem them, so I say play that up and start portraying her as almost psychotically optimistic. Pair that with the fact that when she actually gets angry she will gently caress. poo poo. UP. and I think you've got a decent scaffold to build a character on!

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Isn't this just lola bunny from the new looney toons.

You say that like it's a bad thing?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Hey remember that scene in Boom that had Knuckles “totally own” Amy by saying that the real sexism was pointing out inequality, and then had him call himself a feminist

That bit sucked

I mean, I could be completely off base in my interpretation (It wouldn't be the first time) but I took that joke to be more of a meta commentary on the "inspirational story of a woman succeeding in a typically male-dominated activity" narrative that Amy was trying to invoke in that bit. Like, he wasn't reprimanding Amy for pointing out inequality, so much as point out the nuance of how certain "empowering" narrative tropes can feed into the same systems of oppression they're ostensibly meant to be working against.

I mean, the point seems to have gone over the heads of a few too many people on the internet, but I don't think the joke was particularly anti-feminist or anti-progressive. Now if we want a problematic joke, let's talk about that one from Mombot where Cubot goes full climate change denialist...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

I dunno, I'm onboard with the idea of Sonic having a lowlife cousin who shows up to crash on his couch and be a nuisance every once in a while. Or Sonic having a relative who's a photorealistic hedgehog who shows up and unnerves everyone...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

boom knuckles dies from FOXDIE

"The world is born... from zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes two, two becomes ten, and then I run out of fingers to count...Do you remember where I was going with this? Because I sure don't..."

Looper posted:

yeah i love the og freedom fighters (+ nicole, nicole pwns) and the archie reboot was very kind to them, but i've come to terms with them never showing up again

the reboot in general has been the best part of archie sonic, free from all the cruft and bad artists of the early stuff. i can only imagine how cool idw sonic gets

It also gave us Sonic discovering his pet dog is now an anthropomorphic dude with the thoughts, feelings and credit cards and being really weirded out by it!

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Takoluka posted:

It genuinely took me over a decade to figure out the intended method for that stupid thing. I used to have Sonic and Tails do specially timed jumps to eventually physics my way far enough down to short hop off the platform.

Same. I didn't end up figuring out how those things worked until I replayed the game on the Gamecube Mega Collection about a decade later. Though it never ended up being a problem for me as a kid as I didn't actually own the game and every time I rented it there was always a save file that had already beaten Carnival Nights.

Then again, I think I had just a tacit understanding that I was probably never going to see large segments of my Genesis games: I remember I always had an extreme amount of trouble with the boss of Spring Yard Zone in Sonic 1 and rarely made it past that level despite playing the game more times than I can count...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Infinite’s backstory is hilarious at the very least (he was a mercenary Eggman hired, Shadow effortlessly kicked his rear end, he whined about it and then upgraded himself with the Phantom Ruby only to eventually be defeated again and absorbed into Eggman’s machine)

While the game all but explicitly says Shadow killed the rest of Infinite's mercenary unit as part of his backstory, I like to imagine Infinite came across as such a lamoid when he lost to Shadow that all his mercenary buddies quit the unit in disgust and Infinite just wants people to believe Shadow killed them because it makes for a more dramatic, edgy backstory.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I loved the E102 stages in Sonic Adventure but I HATED them in SA2. So I don't blame you.

The biggest problem with the mech stages in SA2 imo is the sound design. While the gameplay's a bit clunkier than Gamma's stages from the previous game, what makes them an utter horror to play through is the obnoxious, high pitched tone they used for the targeting system.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Everyone seems to think Shadow will be in the post-credits stinger but they probably should introduce Amy first and maybe do an Adventure 1 adaptation where Tom adopts an overweight big cat who likes fish and chases after frogs. A tom cat.

I am entirely onboard so long as Big inexplicably has the same design as his mainline counterpart and absolutely no one acts like there's anything odd about a 6 ft tall, talking purple cat existing on Earth.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think Shadow plays videogames but he wouldn't make videos about it.

Just make it so he's contractually obligated to do so by Sega and he's not happy about it.

Also, he's forced to play only the gaudiest, most ridiculous games possible.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

A Cup of Ramen posted:

That looks so wrong to me.

Yeah, poor guy looks like he's suffering from Echidna Pattern Baldness...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

What was even the motivation behind designing these? Neither Sonic, nor Knuckles are specifically known for being covered in fur? I mean, they're obviously anthropomorphic animals, but they're not exactly known for their realistic fur textures!

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Man, that just makes me realize how much I want Sonic to have a relative who's just a Sonic-sized, photo-realistic hedgehog.

"Oh hey, it's my weird cousin, Hedgehog the Hedgehog..."

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

i mean there's no salvaging the human hedgehog romance

I feel like people kind of harp on the Hedgehog/Human romance aspect a lot, but I don't think even that's an inherently unsalvageable idea (Think a Roger Rabbit kind of situation). The problem was more in the disconnect between the mostly realistic models they used for human characters trying to emotionally play off of the far more cartoony Sonic characters. That sort of style disconnect can work when the disparity is played for comedy or the realistic actors are kept mostlt separate from the cartoony ones, but trying to have the two styles play off each other in a serious, emotional capacity just doesn't work super well.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

P-06 isn't perfect but it shows a glimpse into what Sonic 06 could have been with more time and budget and it's fine to fun even.

Honestly I feel like the only major cruft from the original 06 game holding P-06 back is that they still have to work with the voice files from the original game. Sonic 06 did not have good direction for its voice actors...

That said I feel like there are still definitely some things P-06 fixes that would probably would have still been problems with 06 even if they'd had more time to work on it. Key among these is that a lot of the environments from 06 are just kind of ugly? They look much better with the more modern shaders P-06 is using, but the problem is a lot of the hub worlds were designed to be these big, open areas with little to nothing in them in order to accommodate the side missions. Like, there are definitely some environments that look much nicer than others (The section on the roof of Kingdom Valley for instance), but a bunch of areas in the game suffer from just looking kind of boring.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I like that as an official explanation, although it doesn't exactly hold up well given that Unleashed and Forces were globe spanning adventures and solely featured humans and animals respectively. Whatever though, they can jump between using humans and animals whenever they feel like it and it doesn't really matter beyond that.

Forces is really kind of the big fly in the single world ointment since it explicitly involves Eggman having taken over the whole world. In the games that focus more on animal-folk like Sonic and friends, it's been all but explicitly established that non-humans on Sonic's world don't really have much in the way of largescale infrastructure and organization so in games that focus more on the human side of Sonic's World it's easy to justify that the manimal population is around just offscreen since they don't really have any more agency on world events than the humans. Then you get a game like Sonic Forces, where it's stated Eggman has taken over the whole world but we only focus on the Sonic recolor population and it just raises the question of "Where's GUN during all of this? Why aren't any of the human governments doing something to stop this?".

Honestly, I think either the Two Worlds or One World model could work for the games, but Sega refuses to actually commit to one or the other which leaves us in this weird state of limbo where neither model seems particularly accurate to what we've seen in the games.

Disco Pope posted:

When I was a child, I was always fascinated with the idea of who built the Marble Zone or who lived in the Starlight Zone. Now, as a man, I know I was a dumb child.

I'm going to be honest, I've been kind of fascinated by the type of worldbuilding that could be extrapolated from the original games. Just this weird, nonsense adventure world full of ancient ruins, abstract super-cities and giant expanses of wilderness where you fight robots with magic rocks...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Veotax posted:

No, that's just Archie's story. The western backstory for sonic that was used was that it was a different planet called Mobius inhabited by animals with no humans. Dr Ovi Kintobor, a human scientist who came to the planet somehow, was turned into Dr Ivo Robotnik when an accident during an experiment with the Chaos Emeralds turned him evil. There's other stuff in there, like Sonic being his lab assistant and another lad accident turned him blue (he was a brown hedgehog who was fast before that), but that's pretty much it.

This was in the manuals and on the Sonic website or something until it was eventually abandoned. Only UK tie-in media ever actually used the backstory, Sonic the Comic and some books. For whatever reason all the American stuff just did it's own thing, so there were three different cartoons that all had different backstories and basically nothing to do with the games other than having Sonic and Tails and a completely different looking Robotnik.

For Japan there was barely any backstory I think, just there are some islands with talking animals and no humans I guess. Eggman wasn't the only human on the planet, just some dickhead taking over those islands.

The Kintobor backstory actually did show up in at least one other early piece of North American Sonic media: The 15 page Sonic the Hedgehog Promotional Comic released in 1991. I only know about this because a section of this comic was published in an old issue of Disney Adventures magazine in 1991 that I had a copy of as a kid.

Fun fact: The Kintobor narrative would also be incorporated into the works of notriously bad Sonic the Hedgehog fan artist/writer David Gonterman, who tried to incorporate it into the backstory of the Archie Sonic canon in his fan comics and fiction.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Very confused to be learning about this Two Worlds theory that was canon or people thought was canon? Why would there be two worlds that seems silly.

The Two Worlds thing actually comes from a Gameinformer Interview with series producer Takeshi Iizuka. Specifically this bit:

quote:

It used to be that Eggman was the sole human. Starting with Sonic Adventure, we're seeing more and more humans show up in the stories. Where are they all coming from?

Iizuka: The world that Sonic lives in and the world the humans live in are separate worlds. But, some of the canon games do have Sonic and humans together, and part of that is based on what world is being portrayed when the game is developed. There are kind of different worlds that do exist and sometimes there's some crossover.

This became kind of a big topic in the fandom due to how vague the intention of that statement was: Does this mean Sonic is travelling between a human planet and a manimal planet like in Sonic X? Or just that humans and manimals have distinct, separate societies on the same planet that tend not to overlap? Not helping matters was the fact that Sega has always been notoriously vague about going into specifics about Sonic's world, and different people associated with the franchise have given different explanations for what there being "two worlds" means. When asked, Sonic PR manager Aaron Webber has said that the two planets interpretation is the correct one to the best of his understanding, while former SEGA Europe community manager Kevin Eva believes the single planet version to be true.

Even Ian Flynn has been inconsistent on the specifics, in some sources confirming the two worlds theory as official internal policy and in others refuting it. I believe in his most recent statement he basically just said "Look, it's complicated, don't worry about it". My own impression is that Sega and Sonic Team don't actually have a consistent, internal explanation for what the hell is up with Sonic's world and how it relates to the human characters, and all the production staff have their own ideas for how it's supposed to work.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Since we're talking about the best way to play classic Sonic games: Is there any good way to play the old Sonic Advance games these days?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Man, it's weird listening to Ben Schwartz not doing his Ben Schwartz voice...

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

So, as fun as it is to mock the hypothetical reviewers who wanted less Sonic and more of the human characters, I actually skimmed through a bunch of the negative reviews on RT and didn't really find anyone saying that? Most of the complaints are about the runtime being too long for the content of the movie and that the central plot and spectacle is largely a paint-by-numbers MCU-style blockbuster we've seen many times already. The closest I could find to critics wanting more of the humans was one who disliked Marzden's reduced role mostly because they felt the interplay between him and Ben Schwartz' Sonic was the strongest point of the first film, and a few critics commenting on how Marzden's character and his wife feel extraneous to the plot but are still present enough that they feel out of place.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Marine also gave us one of the best Shadow scenes of all time, so she's alright in my books...

Zavok is similarly a lot better in the comics. Seriously, the guy's friggin' rad in the Bad Guys miniseries IDW put out a little while ago.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

There was a Garfield Eats in Toronto but it didn't survive COVID and I hear the guy is working on a Scooby Doo themed restaurant.

I think it's actually a line of Scooby-Doo branded...meat?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he also owns green sonic who is evil

I feel like Sega/Archie actually would have had a pretty solid legal claim of ownership to Scrouge's "green evil Sonic" form if they had actually decided to legally contest it. While Penders created the original Anti-Sonic character, it was Ian Flynn and Pat Spaziante who redesigned him to be a Green Sonic and renamed him Scourge. If Penders can own "Green Knuckles" then Archie should have just as much of a legal claim to "Green Scourge".

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Shadow is deathly serious the whole movie while everyone else is a goofball, culminating in a reference to the funny comic book panel.

This is honestly my favorite way to characterize Shadow. Just this grim, deathly serious character stuck in a nonsense goof world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Isn’t that basically how he was in the Sonic Boom series?

That was a large component of it, though they also made him a bit more of a jerk than I like in Sonic Boom?

If anything I think the Sonic Twitter Q&A videos are probably the closest to how I'd like to see Shadow characterized.