Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Calaveron posted:

When did famitsu scores stop meaning anything, because I still remember when only like, three games ever had gotten a 40/40

When Windwaker got a 40/40.

I love Windwaker but come on man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Not a Children posted:

No YOU come on man

I mean if you're seriously gonna knock on 'em do it for FFXIII-2 or Skyward Sword

Those came later so it wouldn't be the tipping point.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Famitsu are genuinely lovely reviewers and the only reason they have any positive reputation is the language barrier and mystique of being a 'foreign' publication.

I've heard that as a magazine it's actually not bad. The issues are pretty long and they have unique content like interviews with the developers etc.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I like that Chronicles has been completely excised from the series. It doesn't get a single cursory mention or nod anywhere and most people would completely forget it even exists, even if they were making a list of the worst Sonic games ever made.

Isn't it basically impossible to reference it in any way because it touched the poop of the Pender's echidna stuff before it all got excised?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Takoluka posted:

Then, he'll get the Silver treatment of being in everything anyway.

I thought 2006 basically resigned Silver to being the Waluigi of Sonic I.e. only in racers and poo poo.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Motto posted:

I still don't get the water meme since that was and is a genuine issue people have with Pokemon RSE.

You know that joke about how CineD would eat from a garbage can if film critics said garbage was bad to eat? It's like that but with lovely video game mechanics.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Spiderdrake posted:

If it's not too off-topic can you guys explain this mechanic you speak of?

Sea travel in Pokemon always sucked. It's literally just Water Caves but with a different background, and everyone complains about the caves because you're constantly getting random encounters of the same one or two pokemon and they're boring.

But when a large website complains about surfing suddenly every acts like they always loved fighting a million sharpedo/tentacool.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 13, 2018

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
If people are modding the game does that mean they ever figured out what caused the insane load times? I swear it's worse than any other game that came out that gen.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I agree but that attitude comes primarily from the marketing team and not the people actually making the games. Like, I don't think Sonic Team themselves are as in on the joke as the US-run twitter feed might have you believe, and the marketing team's making the most with what they've got, as tacky as it sometimes seems.

The twitter and whoever is writing the Sonic Boom cartoon.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Move over, JK Rowling.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Mr Phillby posted:

Oh poo poo I hope the sonic twitter doesn't own me for using the level select code next

It's a copypasta that comes from the latest FromSoft/Sekiro discourse.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm expecting a Justice League situation where you can identify the cut scenes of gremlin Sonic by measuring the lengths of Jim Carrey's mustache

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
HERO AND DARK

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Those physics are key to classic style 2D Sonic’s gameplay identity, but I don’t think they’re necessary to make a good Sonic game. Rush’s physics were a huge departure from them but worked well within the scope of the game because they allowed you to stop and start on a dime. The problem is when they’re aiming to give you a classic experience but eschew those specific physics, like Sonic 4 and Sonic Generations 3DS.

But ultimately DIMPS are just slightly above being code monkeys. It’s the job of who’s hiring them to get in there and tell them how the game should play and what changes need to be made.

If those two more years in the oven included rewriting the entire story, making the amigo characters actually fun to play as, making humans not look like Poser models, adding a Chao garden, etc. then sure. But two years after 06 we ended up getting Unleashed which was better in every aspect, so I’m okay with that.

Honestly if the entire rest of the game weren't poo poo the completely batshit insane story would probably be a beloved meme like Adventure 1/2.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Pigbuster posted:

(Note that I'm pretty sure a major Sonic fan demographic is "literal children", but I don't know the exact numbers on that. I'm curious if Sonic is particularly popular with kids or not compared to similar series).

When I saw Sonic 2 in theaters all the kids recognized Shadow so the lore is apparently still being disseminated among kids.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Avatar has the most Functional plot and writing ever, unobtainium is just an extension of that. I don't think that would be an inherently bad thing if it wasn't also really racist. Someone pointed out that none of the Navi are played by Natives and I couldn't tell it that would make things better or worse.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Goons be normal about women challenge: failed

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, I was literally thinking this afternoon "If Sega doesn't let Classic characters and Modern characters interact anymore I guess Fang is hosed." What do you know.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't think Toriyama ever gave a gently caress, it just never came up in the original Dragonball (Z) run because there were no female Saiyans. It only got uncomfortable with Pan in Dragonball GT (which didn't have his involvement) which was genuinely very sexist.

I definitely reading some canon mandate that only hedgehogs can go super but I don't remember it being based on gender lines.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Wasn't killing off Robotnik slightly more reasonable in the context of everyone assuming the comic was ending at around issue #50 and it going on way longer than that? Like everything that's been said is all true but still.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

MJeff posted:

I mean, they can use the Penders' characters if they really want to as well. They just gotta pay the guy.

Which, I dunno, I know they had an acrimonious split but also, I don't loving care that this guy pantsed your previous partner in court, SEGA, and you shouldn't either. Just pay him enough money to make his incredibly lovely Echidna fanfic and get your drat characters back.

So I had to consult the Thanks Ken Penders blog to make sure I wasn't misremembering, but the situation is a little more complicated than that. Initially Pender's terms for use of his characters included royalties (legal, mandatory) but also creative control over how they were depicted even if the writer was someone different (gently caress off). But at some point he must have eased up a little.

Anyway I bring this up because the way he phrased this is something.

"I'm so cool, you can turn one of my characters gay and I won't care!"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/LiquidKonata/status/1686796911930482693

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jec8zlfG3KI

Cybershell getting the big marketing bux from Sega.

This reminded me of how in the old Fang Cybershell video he mentioned how there was a very brief window of time where Fang was arguably the 4th or 5th most prominent recurring character, which is wild to think about.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I thought the conflict is that Sega wants Shadow to be early series Vegeta who only wants to fight strong people and doesn't care for making friends (so, Bass from Megaman), while most of the fans (including those working on modern Sonic if we're being honest) want him to be late series Vegeta who is a jerk with a heart of gold.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I still think that 2006's story would have been a beloved camp icon like Adventure 2/Shadow if the actual game wasn't basically unplayable. It still kinda is.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It's time to begin the betting pool on whether he has:
-The Motorcycle
-The Gun

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

MJeff posted:

I dunno what it is about the Deadly Six but they just feel extremely incongruous with the rest of the series. Their designs, their personality, their dialogue. Like, they all got off at the wrong bus stop or something.

A large part is because they're not animals tbh.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Larryb posted:

Seems Hayden Christensen is currently rumored to be playing Shadow in the next movie

https://mynintendonews.com/2024/01/20/rumour-hayden-christensen-to-play-shadow-in-sonic-movie-3/

Having seen some of his non Star Wars prequel work I actually think I’d be ok with this to be perfectly honest

There doesn't seem to be any source on this other than a tweet (with no sources) but it's an incredible idea.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
You're also assuming that Biggest Olive Garden Fan being the killer would ruin the joke and not be an incredible punchline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

This is exactly the kind of posting I was hoping for after the news.