Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Terra

Don't mess with perfection :colbert:

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

ArchWizard posted:

Terra

I'd vote for default names for all but then we'd lock ourselves out of naming someone Bowser. I'm not certain we should name anyone Bowser but we also shouldn't limit our options just yet.

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that votes for all default should be considered votes for Terra only, since that's too much of a blanket vote.

Wait for the actual votes as far as I'm concerned

Plus it'll make tallying the votes a nightmare if Leaves has to keep track of who and when voted as such.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 31, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Changing my vote to Nathan

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 1, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Good luck Leaves and Leaves' Wife. :3:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Congrats :)

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

King Bowser, lord of Koopas Figaro and his brother Mario

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I can't help but feel that Leave would fit a different character much much more considering recent events in his life :downs:

Just saying.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Originally I wanted to name Shadow Leave for reasons.

But we already have a Leave and we need a Bowser

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

It already happened in the Chrono LP

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

Way boring. Like I said earlier, default names are boring. Thankfully we're not having that problem this time around!

There are a few that should remain as the default, because they're that good (in my opinion).

Thankfully Terra managed to pull it off

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

YES!!!

We need more Wario.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I did not know that you could get the Genji Glove AND join the Returners

My mind is blown.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Let's get the raft going goobers out of the way first.

They really do have the least interesting story.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Because we kept Terra, this is one name we should keep as default.

Celes

That way their names properly play off of each other.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Leavemywife posted:

However, Nathan quickly finishes it off after that, and the Tunnel Armor dies at it lived.

Is this a typo? It doesn't role all that well off the tongue. I assume you meant as it lived, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, Gotta get off dat raft someday

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Ouch....you picked up the Rune Blade.

I think this was the Final Fantasy that started the trend of "wait till later you get a better item". In this particular case, it would have been another Ribbon.

mauman fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 18, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Trasson posted:

Yeah, but the Rune Blade now is better than the Ribbon will be then. Both in terms of power and that sweet sweet sale price.

Eh....Like Leave said, it's not THAT much better and the whole "use mp thing" is a pain in the rear end in my opinion. Plus money is not exactly hard to find in this game.

Plus, I like the ribbon relic.

So I would disagree.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Inigo

Probably won't win, but I'm a fan of underdogs

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

GeneralYeti posted:

I like to think that some beta tester noticed that you can suplex the train, and then proceeded to say absolutely nothing at all in a successful attempt to share such wonderment with the world.

What beta testers?

ff6 code was composed with chopsticks and thumbtacks. The glitches in this game are legendary.

Since it wasn't fixed for the GBA version though I have a feeling they deliberately chose to look over this one since it's not particularly game breaking.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 30, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bobby sounds good just cuz

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

achtungnight posted:

The worst thing though is that in my version of the game at least Veldt fights grant you no exp points. So the only reason to visit the Veldt is to grind Mowgli.

Many people would consider this a blessing. Especially later on.

Also, rage is hilariously broken once you get the right rages.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Y-Hat posted:

Nathan, Remain, Leave, Olivia seems like a very effective choice.

This is really the only choice all things considered.

Make it so

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Team LORN really is the best team for the next few sections, otherwise you'd miss out on story (which you admittedly could get later) and some neat details (which you can't, cuz they're gone if you miss them). It also helps that they're quite frankly your best party right now - not counting rage min/maxing (but definitely more efficient).

I never really found Locke creepy either. It's natural to have issues letting go of loved ones. It's sad (not pathetic sad, but :cry:), not creepy.

The old man on the other hand? Yeah, he's a bit...off. But then Mad Scientists are SUPPOSED to be off.

mauman fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 13, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

dotchan posted:

It's too bad Terra's still explicitly listed as a party member during this (as evidenced by her icon in the shop menu), or her turning into a pink monster and flying off would've had more dramatic weight.

This is a pretty good point actually :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 17, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

GunnerJ posted:

It kinda bugged me that human enemies start using real-deal magic around here. Like, that is supposed to be a huge deal, Edgar and Locke freaked the gently caress out when they saw Terra do it. I had rationalized it as "Maybe they stole it from Terra who is some kind of magic being now?" But I don't think that makes sense.

I was totally going to post about this. That always made me go WTF?! back when I first played this as a kid. I understand monsters, but humans? Maybe the Zozo people are affiliated with the empire? :tinfoil:

MightyPretenders posted:

It felt unusual to me too. On the other hand, whoever said that they were human? Monsters come in all shapes, after all.

They're classified as humans in the bestiary.

Leavemywife posted:

I don't know which mod snipped out whatever the hell that was a few posts back, but thank you!

I wasn't sure how to deal with that.

Even as I dread the idea of seeing something from somebody who got perma-banned, I am mildly curious what I missed. :catstare:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Sadly for Jack and Mowgli, team LORN is still the best team here.

plus you get an awesome bonus if the brothers are with you

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 24, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

One thing I really love about Zozo is how easy it is to get money there. Since you just get the magicite, you'd be interested in getting a few spells so it's a great place to get spell points and money.

Most enemies give relics when you steal from them (just kill the harvesters before they run, you get your money back). And the Gigas aren't THAT hard to steal from. The amulets are worth a bout 2k a piece and the goggles are worth about 500 a piece. If you're lucky, you'll get some dragoon boots too which are worth a whopping 4.5 k.

Speaking of Dragoon boots, they're great for guys who can use spears since the jump command does double damage with spears (cough Remain cough), and you should try to get some for when tools start to be out-shined by magic.

Finally somebody mentioned that since you don't get exp fighting on the veldt is waste of time. This is where I finally get to mention my reason for disagreeing. You still get magic points while on the Veldt, so if you don't want to massively level up while getting magic you can grind magic points out there (and still get money/items or even get new rages for Mowgli).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Meaty Ore posted:

I dunno about this. Nathan's plan seems less like an actual plan and more of a desperate Gambit to me.

Ok, I like this one considering all things.

Now I can't think of him speaking without him sounding like somebody from the Bayou.

I vote for Gambit

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 28, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

achtungnight posted:

I like the opera scene too but wish Olivia could be part of the boss fight.

That might give away that she's not Maria.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

This is, in my opinion, a very important (and miss able) bit of characterization for the brothers. It warms my heart that the older brother was willing to give up his life and be king despite wanting to leave just as much as the younger one.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Kevos Setzer posted:

I love this bit, too. Perhaps more important than giving up his own freedom, Remain allowed Leave to have his.

It's just one of those things that really resonates with me since I have an older brother that looks out for me a lot more than he has to.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

I was always so weirded out by Han's portrait. Most of the characters look fine (even if Leo is...um, sporting a deep tan his sprite wouldn't suggest), and then there's Han looking like someone took a medical cadaver and hit it with a bus.

Well....he's a hardcore gambler.

Probably gotten into one too many knife fights. And he's an albino I guess :downs:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Explosionface posted:

You can definitely count me in the people that don't get it.

I think it's an anime joke.

Specifically JoJo

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

"Terra, you have no questions about the new party member? None whatsoever?"

When someone offers you an airship, you don't ask questions. You just say :getin:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bruceski posted:

And name Mog Kupo

Dammit, you beat me to it :downs:

Voting for Kupo.

For the party, take Terra, The Brothers Awesome, and Mog so he can catch up ability wise

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Mikl posted:

Olivia.

That might be hard right now :downs:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Yapping Eevee posted:

And the winners are... Terra, Jack, Mowgli and out new moogle buddy, Pog. :toot:

At least Mowgli can be fixed a bit with some time in the Veldt.

Jack on the other hand... :saddowns:

You know, if there was one thing that the IOS port of this game fixed a bit, it was giving the player the ability to do other things while Jack did his charge thing.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Avoiding spoilers, there is no way to increase the speed of the charging right? Not even magic spells? I never experimented with him enough to know.

You can use late-game magic to increase it's viability, yes.

Though if you have THAT magic you've probably managed to break the game in other more convenient ways.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

UnwiseTrout posted:

Jack really isn't that bad, he's a little inconvenient compared to the immediate nature of a lot of the other characters but if you plan your battle commands around it then it works out alright. Besides, I think characters that go into auto commands like being beserked or Mowgli's rages still function while Jack is charging. Although I may be misremembering that part.

Either way, Jack's back.

Indeed, that's another way of making Bushido more viable. Mowgli, Pog, and another auto-attacking character would be able to do their thing while Jack charges.

It's still a sub-standard way to play the game, but this is one of the easier FF's so that might not matter that much.

ParanoidLogician posted:

Yeah, Jack's a fine character when it comes to stats and such but being unable to do anything while Bushido charges up is a pretty huge negative. Surprised to hear it took them until the horrid looking iOS port to finally fix that.

Yup, pretty much one of the few good things in that sea of vomit.

Leavemywife posted:

Merry Christmas, everyone!

No update today, because I'm spending the day with my family. Just like you should be doing.

Get off the loving internet! You have friends and loved ones!

...Unless they're only on the internet. Then stay on, and enjoy the holiday.

I celebrated Christmas with most of my family yesterday and will get the other group tomorrow. Today I worked in the morning, am on call till night then I work again. :downs:

I also volunteered for this so I'm totally ok with it.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Fudge Handsome posted:

The only time I ever used a Magicite Shard, it summoned a very special endgame esper that obliterated both the enemies and my entire party.

Yeah, that happened to me too the first time I used a magicite shard as a kid.....

I was like - what the gently caress?

Then I was like - WHAT THE gently caress!!

Never used Magicite shards again.

• Locked thread