Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Man, the pronunciation by news anchors of Khizr is all over the place. On Morning Joe just now we got Keezer.

And on Fox & Friends they're trying to privot from Khan to Vilerat, saying the media is biased because nobody covered Vilrat's mom live while everyone covered the Khans.

This Morning Joe segment on Trump flip-flopping on Putin is a better editing job than anything Daily Show or Last Week Tonight had ever done.

Interesting for Fox to say, considering they ran a Benghazi ad over his speech

Did nobody cover Vilemom? I know she was like the first one in the dead zone that most networks don't cover because lol @ making Tig and XYZ the first thing your viewers see and immediately change the channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Holy poo poo

If that's women overall then it's game over, everything else is just icing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hermsgervørden posted:

I'm probably going to travel to a swing state to do GOTV for Clinton. Is there a city where really good turnout flips both a senate seat and a house seat?

I went to Ohio (Cincinnati & Middletown) in 2004 and Las Cruces, NM in 2008. I'd rather not go to Florida. Where should I go?

Arizona

edit - actually no, because even if AZ looks like it's going to flip, Trump won't split his resources there because he has no resources anywhere.

PA probably,bring a sack of HRC campaign D cells and pass them out in Philly

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 1, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nothing is ever resolved with Trump's scandals, it's just that something new happens. They still sit, untended, like an abcess on the rear end of his candiacy, waiting for somebody to shine a light on it. The entire primary, he was never really hit on calling McCain a coward or saying Mexicans were rapists. These things just kind of lingered but whoops, now they're back all over the place.

I'm sure EVENTUALLY, Trump will stop scoring own goals long enough for it to be smart for HRC to sneak in with a new take on an old controversy for a new audience. Whenever that day comes expect a nostalgia tour

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

greatn posted:

All these Stein and Johnson voters are probably mostly from safe red or safe blue states anyway, right?

Stein has less than half the support enjoyed by a dead gorilla, they aren't a threat anywhere.

The Green party really only has infrastructure in deep blue states, and will destroy itself with ideological purges if it ever gets within a sniff of actual relevance.

Johnson may pull votes in Utah, and maybe a few other states where Republican Jesus isn't the gold standard for excellence and morality, but I doubt he wins a state or anything, or swings one for Hillary.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

waitwhatno posted:

Eurogoon here, how the gently caress is Trump polling at ~40%? How is ~40% of your voting population ready to elect that clown?

Seriously, I stopped even trying to explain to old people how this is possible. At first I tried to do all the "everyone is fed up with the establishment" and "dog whistle racism" spiel, but after the last couple of weeks, I don't even know what the gently caress is going on anymore myself. All he is saying is that he is great and will be the best at everything, over and over again, that's literally his entire program. He is not even conning people, he just outright behaves like a small child, openly.

Same reason white supremacist far right parties are on the rise in Europe, too. Even in the most liberal and advanced country you can think of, at least half of the population is eager to have a strongman stomp on their balls and tell them that it's okay to hate the foreigners down the street. Odds are the same thing is happening in your own backyard. Hopefully by now The Guardian has figured out that Brexit shouldn't be putting the US on watch, but rather pretty much every other country in Europe

We don't have a parliamentary system here, so the tents for the parties are bigger and the loyalties run deeper. It takes a lot to shake people from being a lifelong X or Y voter. A Trump won't do it for a lot of people no matter how bad he is, but 2 Trumps in a row might

:911: Cruz 2020 :911:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Roger Stone calls for a peaceful bloodbath

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

waitwhatno posted:

I'm not trying to imply that Europe is any less on a slow march to fascism, that's not the incomprehensible part. It's that the population is ready to hand the key to the most important office in the country to a character from the Jersey Shore. He is mentally a child, that's what gets me.

The German Trump equivalent has a PhD in Chemistry and founded her own company. The French Trump equivalent has a law degree. They are all grown up people, that have shown a basic level competence and skill throughout life. Trump is a child. Even if you are a racist hick from bumfuck nowhere, you can still spot a bad lawyer, doctor or a bad cashier at a supermarket.

Just wait until they figure out that they'll enjoy more success if they run a hyper-alpha lunatic racist instead of somebody concerned with qualifications or stopping to think for 3 seconds

We had a couple EU-style far right guys in the GOP primary and they got steamrolled

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"We'll default on it of course! Good luck repossessing a bridge once it's built, DEALZ"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

waitwhatno posted:

So what's the worst case scenario for a Trump presidency?

He hands off all important duties to friends/highest buyers, things stay more or less the same, but the executive branch becomes totally paralyzed? I hope there are enough checks and balances to keep them from loving up too badly in case of a real crisis like an asteroid heading towards earth, China collapsing or sharks learning how to use laser weapons. US ICBM launch orders have to be verified by someone else before they go through, right?

40 more years of a conservative SCOTUS, this time with a mandate to repeal everything progressive that has been passed since 1890. Dramatic erosion of libel laws and very likely a full scale conflict with Iran or the Saudis, put of course on the credit card for the next generation. All labor protections gone within 100 days, all environmental regulations eliminated or cut to nothing, and every dollar of infrastructure spending distributed Halliburton style to cronies so that we're all being electrocuted by our own showerheads while a couple guys pocket hundreds of billions of dollars in pure profit.

Oh wait, I messed up, that's the best case scenario.

Oh yeah and massive Russian expansionism and the end of the Dollar and US dominance in global affairs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

My wish is that Trump insults a child this cycle. I don't care how, I just want him to do it.

How are we classifying what he did to Jeb!?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So how do equal time laws apply to ads playing in states? Right now it looks like Clinton is just literally buying all the best airtime early at the best prices, effectively boxing out Trump from anything beyond infomercial times. Are the networks that agreed to take payment to run ads for Clinton obligated to offer Trump a similar time slot even if he only offers them $1, or is he up poo poo's creek?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gyges posted:

There are no equal time laws. Candidates buy advertising at the lowest rate, but there is nothing requiring anyone or any company to offer equal voice to everyone. If one campaign buys up all the ad time, tough poo poo. I believe in 2012 Obama bought up all the ad time in a few swing states and Romney was screwed because he waited too long to buy ads.

That's what I thought, but NBC earlier this year had to give time to other GOP primary candidates because Trump hosted SNL. Is that because they paid him to come/gave him time for free/whatever as opposed to just selling advertising space for market value?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cythereal posted:

If Trump somehow ends up on TV with the likes of Oliver or Stewart, you know this is going to happen. "Agrabah vs Durotar, what are your views on this important but troubled international border?"

Trump is Barrens Chat personified, no way it'd be a tough choice for him

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I haven't heard anybody support Trump on my feed of carefully cultivated conservative opinions since the Michelle speech at the DNC made it clear that their guy is a huge loser. Hit pieces on Clinton abound however. My favorite response is, "I absolutely stand behind Clinton and believe she is the best choice for this country, can you say the same about Trump?" which usually gets the ol' right wing panic pivot or total silence.

I need to lay off though because I can't have them blocking me.

fake edit - actually I have seen one person positively say Trump is their guy. He's the one who posts stuff like this a lot:

talking about the movie Hacksaw Ridge posted:

This looks good. I might even see it in theaters.
Too bad it is about some hippie peacenik human being who won't kill everything on the battlefield. At least it is directed by a known hater of (((certain people))), Mel "gotta gas 'em all" Gibson. (I'm assuming he directed Braveheart).

Surprising twist - I think he's only pro-Trump now because he's a profoundly angry and directionless man. He was a Cruz guy until he bailed. He is also the source of much of my non-SA Milo updates

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Spiffster posted:

The strongest trump supporter I know is a French Canadian... Yeah :psyduck:

A Canadian Trump fan, do they post here?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GOP ain't gonna do poo poo if they haven't already.

Expect that rumor to get floated to lots of sources, then for Trump to ignore it entirely, then it will go away.

He'll not tweet for 20 minutes or something and say, "oh well it's clear he's coming to his senses, whew, no need to make a stand against this vile person whom I support to lead the free world"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It'll become a thing if Trump tweets it though. Or gets asked about it by someone in the media.

Nope, there is zero chance enough of the party rejects Trump to make any difference at all.

For one, he would go loving nuclear against them and take his people along with him. Mostly though they're just cowards. What has Trump done so far, directly and to their faces? What have they happily had their noses rubbed in? You think making GBS threads all over veterans means a single thing to the GOPe if doing the right thing may mean having to worry about being primaried?

They're cowards, the lot of them. They'll be behind Trump until the bitter end. They may not give him a hand with anything or stump for him, but they'll be with him.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CNN has to import pro trump people because all their stock conservatives loathe him

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

In case we forgot about it, Trump is apparently showing off his faux purple heart at his Jacksonville rally right now. He's so proud of it, he's always wanted one, and he's right that this way is easier

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

nachos posted:

So trump is actively being advised by lewandowski who is also being paid by CNN

Luckily they avoided any bias by cutting Donna Brazile loose because she took an interim position managing the DNC for less than a week

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Realtalk tho - CNN's usual stable of conservatives all loathe Trump and won't boost him on air, so they have to import people. As you can imagine, it's not a flush market. It's basically just Jeff Lord (who will quit in tears one of these days with how well his appearances usually go) and that one Kayleignyn or whatever woman. I swear her name isn't THAT crazy but it exists in some kind of halo zone where my brain is just unable to commit it to memory

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yinlock posted:

Trump, in the midst of suspicions of strong Russian ties with his campaign, is currently going in on the UN and NATO because of course he loving is.

(i like how "Trump does the stupidest, most idiotic thing imaginable" is becoming white noise pretty quickly)

Trump's Razor has been a thing for awhile now, but it has really ratcheted up to "may probably appear in academic papers and become a thing" since the DNC ended

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Because I love this country I respect your desire to be suspicious of people who love this country

Satan Bless America friend

radical meme posted:

I my question is and always has been, why the gently caress does a news channel have to have anybody that supports Trump or any other jackass, racist, bigoted, rear end in a top hat candidate?

News is supposed to be about the facts, not stroking the egos of politicians and the people who support them. If the fact is that the son of a bitch is an ignorant, racist, bigot, then you don't have to have someone supporting his peculiar position on how the world works; your the news for fucks sake.

24 hour news channels ain't about facts and never have been. CNN doubly so

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

He's always been a raging narcissist but now he's on the biggest stage of them all. He's like Icarus, except an rear end in a top hat.

Dickarus.

Icaranus

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jazerus posted:

Well, maybe not surprising. People aren't actively alarmed by a conman in real estate like they are by a fascist demagogue, so the same behavior is seen quite differently. Also there was always the idea that a lot of his public persona was just kayfabe since he has been so "successful" and how could such a loathsome blowhard be successful? The truth is, of course, this:

and there is no actual success, nor is there a private Trump. He is exactly what he appears, and this campaign has made that conclusion unavoidable.

I'm on mobile right now so can't link it, but there was a profile done of Trump that ended with saying he had achieved "the ultimate luxury - a life untroubled by the rumblings of a soul" that I felt summarized it well

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh did this slip under the radar in USPOL? Because one of the things he did yesterday was accept a replica purple heart from someone and say he's always wanted to get one, and this way is way easier

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gregday posted:

He once cashed a check for 80 cents.

13 cents!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I hope they don't get to pick the guests, I'd much rather hear a vet ask her about her thoughts on Russia's habit of bombing our allies and what we should do re: Syria and not Crystal McHippieMoon requesting her bias against nuclear energy be confirmed 30 times in a row

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

can we stop pretending that Pennsylvania is a swing state now

People in 2020 will just skip this election because it's going to be such an outlier in like every single state and demographic

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The spin could get interesting, tho

"New poll shows Senator Cruz outperforming expectations with African Americans by 15x"

*cut to screenshot showing Cruz polling at 15%*

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Can someone explain :thejoke:? In my defence, I'm not american so I probably lack the context.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

EugeneJ apparently a glutton for punishment, as they're taking that post on tour and getting BTFO everywhere

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Wow, Wikileaks is really shooting any credibility they had out the window.

Oh it's looooooooooong gone. Even before the whole Panama Papers thing, but that was what clued in a lot of people.

Even Snowden is dumping on them for because they're curating the release instead of just dumping it all like they're supposedly all about and almost always do otherwise.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Artificer posted:

I think some are so single issue that they literally cannot agree with a candidate that supports some platform that their religious views do not coincide with, come hell or high water.

I always thought it was funny that Liberty University hosts politicians from all sides of the spectrum, but the students are only allowed to vote for Republicans

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sarmhan posted:

We'll have to see what the Evangelicals end up doing. They hate Democrats, but they also are realizing precisely how unchristian Trump is.

Yeah and most don't give a poo poo

Best case scenario is they don't turn out. I don't see the movement centered around the Prosperity Gospel and Southern Baptist Churches voting for a Midwest Methodist, even if they didn't believe she was the spawn of Satan

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Taima posted:

The one guy I know who loves Trump is literally having some kind of schizophrenic meltdown right now. He's convinced that Hillary is slowing down his internet because he's a Trump supporter, thereby cutting down on the amount of pro-Trump rhetoric on social networks.

:(

He's right

*steps down a little harder on tube labelled "CONSERVATIVE INTERNETS"*

*cashes joint FEMA / Clinton Foundation check*

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The press loves a Death Watch as much as a horse race, but I doubt they're ready to switch over to that mode yet.

It's funny how unprepared Trump was for the press to switch from "whatever the last thing Trump said is what Trump thinks" to "whatever the worst thing Trump has said is what Trump thinks" though, despite the whole world warning him that it would happen once he left the primaries

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

How does that work exactly? How would the school even know?

They can't know, know, obviously. I mean they probably actually can because they pretty much run Lynchberg at this point, but OFFICIALLY they can't know. But be certain that if you let it slip to a single person that you didn't vote for the Republican, or even seem like you weren't totally enthusiastic about them, you'll be ratted out by somebody looking to brown nose. I doubt there's trials, so that's all it would take for demerits or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

I've been keeping up as well as I can, but I'm begging anyone to give me a link to show people how utterly ridiculous trumps been since the 1st. I last checked yesterday afternoon and there's already 1k+ more posts now

How does anyone actually possibly follow this thread :smith:

Just skip to the end and make something up. Trump probably did it. Like the other day just skip 2000 posts and be all like, "wow I can't believe Trump yelled at a loving baby" and there ya go.

• Locked thread