Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Here's hoping the 1000 posts every day settles down to something more manageable until november.

Still wishing election season was over :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Just once, I want to see a high ranking politician not shy away from DJ Assault.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Hmm. The Seattle proposal gave extra time to implement for small businesses, but this proposal is giving extra time to big businesses instead. I wonder why?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Before Snowden, I thought that allegations of massive, secret government surveillance programs were the realm of tin foil hat wearers.

It's entirely possible that I'm a moron who wasn't paying attention, though.

It was pretty much in the realm of tin foil hat wearers. Nobody could possibly believe the NSA was irradiating people with 1kW of radiofrequency energy at short range to activate a built-in chip along the wire of your monitor to see what you're doing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Republicans are going to stonewall all nominations for the next four years, just because they can.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

happyhippy posted:

Can a potential VP take over when a potential candidate dies?
Is there a rule about it?

If the presidential nominee dies before the election takes place, the decision falls to the relevant party. If Hillary dies soon, the DNC would have to get together again and decide, and it sounds like they aren't limited to just the VP or the primary runner up.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Quorum posted:

Basically, the US is actually late to the Copyright Is Life + 70 Party, and the rest of Europe was already there way before we were. There's pretty much nothing about the US's IP laws that's weird or uniquely bad.

Do you actually think it will stay life + 70?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

This election is basically just like Dwarf Fortress but more depressing.

What a terrible analogy. Nobody has yet to wear a legendary thong menacing with clear diamond spikes.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I never played CAH because I have no friends, therefore I am the most tolerant and understanding of social issues.

TheLoquid posted:

Monopoly legitimizes exploitation of renters. Risk legitimizes imperialism. Chess legitimizes authoritarianism and the exploitation of the most vulnerable. Don't play any games.

Better yet, play all of these so that you have a better understanding of why capitalism, imperialism, and exploitation of the vulnerable are all bad things.

Unless you come away the winner, then the board game is actually a mirror into your deep personal psyche revealing your true rear end in a top hat nature.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
You don't have to use brown tokens in a colonialist board game.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7aeWQCF1jM&t=156s

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I stopped listening to Metallica when Lars shat all over Napster, especially with that incredibly dumb skit at the 2000 MTV music awards.

Megadeth is better anyway.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

So like, assuming the HILLARY CLINTON IS DYING OF MULTICANCER rumors are true, isn't like that a good thing for the Republicans? It means that Tim "Literally Ned Flanders" Kaine would be president instead of the Queen Alien.

If she steps down or dies before the general, it'll be up to the DNC who takes her place. They could pick Tim if they wanted, but chances are in that case Bernie will ride again.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Likely to involve a combination of infrastructure spending, executive action on family leave, minimum wage increase, 5 days of guaranteed sick leave for any employee that works 30 hours a week or more, a federal subsidy for daycare / kindergarten, and a continuation of green energy tax credits and programs from the Obama-era.

Only 5?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Does anyone remember that 2008 post-election piece about how deluded the republican party was on election day?

It's like we're seeing that again, except every day.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If I ever have kids, my game plan is to pick names from Castlevania. Half of them are european enough to not look like I named them after video games.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Fox Ironic posted:

Generation X 1964 - 1984
Also known as the MTV generation, seen as the last "good generation" by most Boomers and Silents.

Millennials (formerly know as Generation Y) 1984 - 2001
My generation, accused of being lazy and entitled. First generation to be born with computers and internet being prevalent. Shorter since the end of the generation is considered 9/11/2001, after that you are considered to be...

excuse me the gen x/millennial border is 1980

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

We're all the Phantasy Star III generation.

As in all generations are doomed?

We can probably demarcate generations based on their video game references.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

climboutonalimb posted:

Trumps next meltdown can't happen soon enough because this thread is unbearable to read without it happenin regularly.
Names chat, generational generalizations, nineties nostalgia and ten loving pages of patriotic nail-biting have got me reconsidering keeping this thread bookmarked

I'm sick of Trump precisely because all he does is melt down. Doesn't he do any other tricks? Someone throw a pie or something!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Dr.Smasher posted:

If I had to guess it's 1300 posts of race chat

I was about to praise uspol for keeping under 1000 posts per day, too.

At least it was just an rear end in a top hat and not an actual political bombshell.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Hillary Clinton loves to compromise. She is the compromiser in chief. Body cameras are the compromise position and BLM shall receive nothing more during her term.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Thaddius the Large posted:

Off the top of my head, Something Awful -> Something Sensitive -> alt-right zeitgeist

How did they become a part of the alt-right specifically? How do you go from being mad at being banned from SA, to supporting racist and sexist policy?

Helldump could be considered a precursor to modern day doxxing, but I don't think anyone involved in helldump moved on to doxxing elsewhere. It was more a blueprint or how-to for the rest of the internet.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rhesus Pieces posted:

"This program may contain strong language and some adult situations. Viewer discretion is advised."

Trigger warnings have been broadcast before every slightly risqué tv show since the 90's and those groaning over TWs now had no problem with that, in fact they demanded it.

The kinds of people most likely to raise a stink about trigger warnings were born in the 90's. They barely knew of the concept. Chances are they've had free reign on violent/smutty content since the turn of the century, thanks to the internet.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Lol what? How on earth do you convince people to accept gender is a social construct if they're not allowed to scrutinize it?

You don't. If there's a bunch of college papers on it, then it's fact and you don't need to debate!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I suspect that incident at the university of missouri is helping to paint the current concept of safe spaces, as it was used impromptu to keep the media away.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I don't know who Dwyane Wade is. Please compare him to a mid-90's basketball star.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If politics were determined solely by memes, Trump would be having the lead right now.

Trump has locked up the anime, japan and pepe memes, but Hillary can still court the vaporwave and eurobeat memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Eifert Posting posted:

I wish Hillary Clinton didn't sound like a disgruntled substitute teacher.

More like a typical principal. All rules, no sympathy. Nobody likes 'em but the olds and hall monitors.

• Locked thread