Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I like to play random old arcade video games with an emulator and stream them on the internet and in fact I just got done doing so

e:

d0s posted:

hey if any of you stream retro games post your twitch links or whatever and I'll put a section in the op for people to watch you play video games

oh hi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Doc Morbid posted:

The N64 memory cards would've been okay-ish if most games requiring them didn't take up the entire goddamn card or at least so many "pages" that you couldn't fit another save file on there. I suppose you could've bought one of the third party ones that had more space, but those weren't the most reliable things in the world.

To be fair, I don't remember any games worth playing that required an N64 memory card.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

d0s posted:

I added the CDi and 3DO to the OP, but I'm a little unclear about some things re those systems, any info that would go in a one paragraph buyer's guide for each would be great, and some greats/cult classics for CD-i as I know absolutely nothing about it's library.

Thunder in Paradise Interactive is (like all CD-i games) total garbage but it's total garbage where you get to fight along Hulk Hogan and a talking boat. You need the Digital Video Cartridge to play it though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

al-azad posted:

You can't talk about Sega without bringing up the objectively best game that's also super cheap: Rocket Knight Adventures.

As of late I have been writing many words about this game so for right now I'll just say everyone should play Rocket Knight Adventures

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Sparkster is better *peels out, runs the gently caress away*

categorically and scientifically incorrect

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Just realized I didn't post in here when I was going live with my weird arcade stream so now I'm posting the archive! Oops!! I think this was a good one, even if Rohga Armor Force went on for way too long (it's cool as hell btw, just play the japanese version so it's not an hour long)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCsFYZHgcuU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

This sorta posting really doesn't help things either. Like, you can respond to that kind of post and all, refute it, whatever but just dismissing it with "heh, newcomers" is equally bad.

yeah that dude's a dingus but not because he's a new poster to the retro video games thread

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

this is extremely important

https://soundcloud.com/cringe-audio/alfred-chicken-nintendo-phone

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

help me find my girlfriend

help me find the watering cans

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i was looking around a local shop (where i ended up getting a copy of jet set radio future in pretty nice condition) earlier and saw a copy of the ps2 shadow man sequel and was extremely surprised there was a loving ps2 shadow man sequel. why has shadow man entered my life twice today

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

oh boy this time i remembered to post that i'm staring the mame stream in here

https://hitbox.tv/sebmal

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

repros are and always have been loving stupid and gutting real rear end non-broken video games (not matter how bad or prolific) to make some chintzy bootleg garbage should and will be a crime when i become the president

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

something like star fox 2 is the only case for repros that i 100% get, even if i personally wouldn't rip a super fx chip out of something to play it. it wasn't released and flash carts don't support it, so that's the only way you're gonna play it on real hardware. fine. go for it. i mean eventually flash carts will get there and it'll go back to being dumb to do but whatever.

everything else though: still stupid! the collection angle has never flown with me mainly because if you tried to pull the same poo poo in like any other collector community you'd be a joke. if you rolled up to whatever 1960s malt shop people are still showing off their baseball card collections in and went "yeah i got the boys in china to print me up one of them t206 honus wagners" you'd be laughed out of there no matter how much you yelled about the epic nostalgiafeel as they pushed you out the door. and the nostalgia thing is dumb too. what the gently caress are you getting nostalgic for? you're not holding anything with any sort of historic value or worth. it's not anything from anyone's childhood. it's a gussied up knockoff. it was made this year. if it had a funnier looking label it'd end up on @bootleg_stuff. if holding the vague facsimile of something you're nostalgic for is enough for you then go print out some papercraft snes carts, it'll probably be cheaper in the long run, it at least has the benefit of being a fun crafts project and has about the same level of worth when it comes to "shelf candy" (uggghhhhhh).

"but you can't play paper!" yeah i know. you know what you can play? a flash cart! a flash cart is also the vague facsimile of something you're nostalgic for but it's also million times more practical! it plugs in just like your stupid repro cart and it plays exactly like your stupid repro cart! the literal only difference in how it works is you pick a game from a menu first. and that should really be the main concern: it plays the same. it's not even remotely the same thing as playing on an emulator. you are playing the game on actual hardware hooked up to a nice crt/scaler. it's not an mp3 vs vinyl situation, it's cd-rws vs cds. a repro is just a cd-r someone slapped a nice label on, and going back to the previous point i'd have the same reaction to someone showing off their sweet custom policenauts translation burn as some cool collector's thing as someone showing off their seiken densetsu 3 translation repro.

and as for gutting old games to make repros, when i'm not being purposefully rude and dismissive like i am in this post this one actually 100% echos my feelings word for word

Zaphod42 posted:

I agree with this though. Its definitely the easier way to do a repro cart but it feels kinda lame. Sure Stunt Race FX sucks and there's a lot of copies, but its still a limited production and they're only going to get older and rarer. Like people buying up all the games with Famicom-to-NES adapters and chunking them, its kinda weak. Those games are part of history.

Still as long as there's several copies of Stunt Race FX that are playable its not a huge deal? But how long is that sustainable exactly? Not that repro carts are being mass produced but they're not super super uncommon either.

but since i AM being purposefully rude and dismissive, as someone who has way too many loving video games: i don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck about the "collectors and community". i care about video games. i think treating old video games as some sort of lifestyle that can be "furthered" by removing the actual history of the medium (no matter how bad or currently oversaturated) and replacing it with whatever hobbyist project is hot at the time is super sad. i think people (AGAIN: i'm talking about working/repairable stuff here. salvaging parts from unfixable things is a-ok!) ripping the ppu out of a playchoice-10 to get rgb out of their nes, people gutting gba sps for the screens and people harvesting super fx chips for their bootlegs are all equally lovely and selfish. ESPECIALLY when there are made from scratch alternatives like flash carts that don't take away from anything and are, outside of edge cases like star fox 2, superior in every single way outside of the arbitrary ones people have made up in their heads. who the gently caress are you to decide what gets to live on in a field of media that, while obviously not in any immediate danger of disappearing, can do nothing but dwindle? madden 95 is a lovely outdated game that next to nobody cares about, no argument, but who made you the arbiter of how many copies are available? i'm totally being hyperbolic here and chances are none of us will live to see the day that there aren't any copies of madden 95, but i still don't think that gives anyone the right to push that date up. especially not when the end result is an impractical shelf decoration.

tl;dr gently caress a repro

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Caitlin posted:

are you trying to compete with captain rufus now or what

that post doesn't have nearly enough line breaks for that

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Kid Fenris posted:

Emulation has reduced this hobby to a point where buying or keeping physical old games runs counter to all financial sense. We hang onto these relics because they stir some personal fondness

I hang on to and seek out these "relics" because I want to play them with 100% accuracy on the hardware and displays there were designed for actually. Emulators are not replacements if you care about that. Which isn't to say there's NOTHING I own that's there purely for sentimental value (wacky worlds is a bad game but i'm sure not gonna part with it) but it's not what drives me, and I totally own more games that I had no connection to as a kid these days.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

You guys should repro a life.

can't reproduce what never existed

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Kid Fenris posted:

YOU'RE a repro.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

d0s posted:

nah, improving functionality is cool in my book, same goes for RGB mods etc. kthulu5k's hot rod analogy works here

i'm also cool with this, i realize that might not have been clear in my words post. mods that add something and don't take away from something else are as cool and fine as you can get, even if there is a tiny super-purist part of my brain that thinks flaws are an intrinsic part of a thing and should be kept that i 100% realize is kinda crazy and all me. and i don't have any sort of visceral disgusted reaction to made from scratch repros either, i feel like that got kinda muddled too. i just think they're tacky and impractical.

trashing a vectrex to make it run milkdrop or whatever though, that's peak lame!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

fishmech posted:

It doesn't really seem like it's destructive though, you basically disconnect the leads to the original circuit board and wire them into external equipment. So if you wanted to play Vectrex games again it'd be very minor work to reconnect the original stuff.

if that's the case then that's fine and that dude really should have picked a word other than "gut"

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

fishmech posted:

Well you usually would take most of the original components out and set them aside, so gut sounds like a fair enough description. They're just not getting thrown out unless the Vectrex board was already broken.

for me "gut" implies a permanent removal and the way you're describing it makes it sounds like if the vectrex magically had more space inside it you could wire up a toggle switch to change between the vectrex and winamp visualizer boards

e: which is to say, nothing's really happening to the "vectrex" part of the vectrex. you're basically just unplugging it and plugging in something totally different, and as long as you're not a dirtbag that would throw away a working vectrex board you can plug it back in whenever you want. and that's fine

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 21, 2016

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Zand posted:

lets talk about mame cabs again

that one's cool because the monitor and speakers look like a face frozen in a pained expression

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

al-azad posted:

I regret not sending in the card for a Rocket Knight Adventures t-shirt.

S A M E

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

transparent electronics all day every day, atomic purple play it loud

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I had the purple one but later replaced it with this tacky piece of poo poo:

that is probably the funniest game boy i've ever seen

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's the back:

here's the box (the guy on the screen is an olympic swimmer, not some random skinhead)

lmfao that thing's dumb in every way possible, it's great

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

video games are art

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

shake shake

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

how big are those loving maracas

They're maraca sized, it's the sensor bar you put on the floor that fills up the box.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

rdbbb posted:

it's not edgy unless klansmen are involved. today's kids are too soft

what i wanna know is out of the 650+ catchable pokemon, how many of them would be capable of eating one's balls

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Tyson Tomko posted:

Everyone needs a CRT if only for authentic light gun fun with the original hardware. (and for the nostalgic power on sounds)

Speaking of, I finally managed to track down a couple of these adapters so I can play my PS1/2 lightgun games via s-video/component

it's niiiiiiiiiiiiiice

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

widespread posted:

Oh, prob should ask. If the game in question is a light gun game, could I use a burned backup of a game with actual light gun hardware? Also, is the price of an old PSX light gun steep?

Yeah, burns/flashcarts/etc don't run any different than legit copies (unless it's like a dreamcast situation where they had to lower the quality of video/audio to make them fit on a cd-r) once you get 'em working. As long as you have a gun, a CRT and a game you're good to go (you'll need that video adapter i posted or one of the bulkier sony ones that also split off the audio to use anything other than composite though) . Also both PS1 and PS2 Guncons go for like $15, and if you're going for a PS2 one make sure it has this adapter or you won't actually be able to use it!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

lmao @ everything al-azad's posted in the last couple of pages

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

how the HECK are things that can be grouped together not actually all the same exact thing. i DONT understand

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I just beat Target Earth and that game is cool but BOY is it fuckin hard holy moly. For being a dude in a cool robot suit your health just up and vanishes when you get hit, you die super quick.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

al-azad posted:

Now you can play it again as a remade Assault Suit Leynos on PS4/PC!

The copy sitting next to me is partly why I decided to finally push through and beat the original!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I don't get is why Nintendo didn't immediately port the entire virtual boy catalog to 3ds.

The 3DS's 3d gets extremely bad ghosting issues in dark scenes/areas so I imagine an entire game of red on black would probably not look fantastic.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 11, 2016

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

the virtual boy is cool

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Not if you put it in the oven to repair the screen.

i need to do that or send it off to someone who can permanently fix it, i guess mine got jostled too hard while i was moving recently and the right display is messed up

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

i am also a superhuman that is immune to the virtual boy's death rays so i just get to play some fun games

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah, the Virtual Boy sounds real rad and I kinda wish there were more games for it solely so there'd be more music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

There was a good article last year about the development and release of the Virtual Boy, it's real interesting https://www.fastcompany.com/3050016/unraveling-the-enigma-of-nintendos-virtual-boy-20-years-later

• Locked thread