Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

d0s posted:

spice orange

I have given serious thought to buying a Japanese GameCube just to have an orange one. It is so dope.

Also how on earth does the OP have R-Type listed for Master System but not TG16, wtf bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

If/when you get around to adding the 2600 to the OP, make sure you include Atlantis in the 5 great games list because Atlantis owns bones.

Also include it in the Intellivision list if you ever make one (I mean you did write-ups on the 3DO and CD-i so might as well).

Or hell maybe I'll just do the write-ups for both since I'm seemingly like the only dude in these threads who gives a single poo poo about that era of gaming.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I really want a Colecovision, but it has become weirdly expensive for a system of that era. Maybe I'll look for a busted one and see if I can fix it, always kinda wanted to get into buying and fixing broken consoles anyhow.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've always wished someone from Rare would dish on where that one went off the rails.

I think I remember reading years ago that DK64 was done by a B-team at Rare while the more talented devs were doing other poo poo.

Personally, I always disliked pretty much every collectathon that wasn't Mario 64 and just wish Rare had spent the N64's life making more Blast Corps games..

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I found my Pocky and Rocky cart after losing it years ago.

Yo this game is still dope as gently caress and I'm glad I didn't have to blow the 150 bucks or what the gently caress ever amount they go for on eBay now.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm glad someone out there appreciates the lynx as much as playstation and gba

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

d0s posted:

good rare games:

RC pro am
Blast corps
Whatever SNES DKC game you remember fondly
???

viva pinata is the best game rare ever made though blast corps and snake rattle 'n roll give it a run for its money

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i can't believe i'm saying this but i might start selling a bunch of my old game poo poo. after getting back into college, i literally haven't played any game other than kerbal space program since january and i don't want to be that guy who just collects poo poo but doesn't play it.

my tg16, 3do, a couple of my genesis' and my nomad, one of my nes', maybe my 7800 and my three old atari computers and ti-99 4/a, my og xbox, my dreamcast. i've not touched most of these in years. maybe the whole 'you'll outgrow video games' thing finally happened to me, i dunno :smith:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Star Man posted:

Random question: who actually liked Dragon's Lair? Was it just the spectacle of the game being a fully animated cartoon that you "played" or did people just loving dread playing?

it was animated by don mother loving bluth in an era where he was the hottest poo poo in the universe. people liked it for that even if as a game it was kinda garbage.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gaz2k21 posted:

There was a third game like this that I had on PC it was called Warehouse 13 or something similar I don't remember much about it other than the box it came in was a stupid shape and every time it came to make a choice in the game you just hit every key until it made the right sound.

you might be thinking of brain dead 13, a game i played on my friends saturn way way way back when

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kid Fenris posted:

I, too, think this.

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/367/retro-scan-special-edition-keith-courage-in-alpha-zones-comic

Keith Courage is OK for a level or two but then it's just the same thing over and over. Those gun-head dudes aren't as neat when you see them in every stage. And don't get me started on the money-grinding.

keith courage as the tg16 pack-in was one of the many absolutely loving idiotic moves nec made in ensuring the rtg16 never caught on in the west and it is such a drat shame because man that thing had some phenomenal titles.

going with legendary axe would have been such a smarter move. that alone wouldn't have saved the system from its fate in the us, but it would have at least helped inspire excitement in those who did buy the system at or near launch.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Breadallelogram posted:

I liked the tiny open world areas in Sonic Adventure because it always seemed like there was some mysterious poo poo hidden somewhere that I wasn't figuring out. Like you can steal a chao egg from that store in the city. There's a huge empty forest for some reason.

there were bits of sonic adventure that were good. shame that those bits were so few and far between because ultimately sonic adventure is only marginally less terrible than sonic 2006.

Mak0rz posted:

So many people I know hate the blue sphere levels in Sonic but I actually like them more than the half-pipes, though not by much.

blue sphere was easily the best sonic bonus level, what kind of dimwit hates it :psyduck:

half pipe was cool too but it was egregiously difficult after the first three, to the point that getting all the chaos emeralds wasn't even rewarding because the main game was a billion times easier than getting the thing that made you invincible.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So how does it play? I tried it mainly with San Francisco Rush, for a couple of reasons:

1) This is my all time favorite N64 game, I've spent hundreds of hours with it and am very familiar with it
2) This is the game I notice bad joysticks on the most. Once you lose fine directional control, Rush plays noticeably worse, and the game really relies on small movements to keep the cars settled

Here is a video of me trying to demonstrate how tiny movements are easily possible with the Superpad 64 Plus on Rush. I dont know if it completely conveys it, but those small steering inputs that I'm using to just change lanes are pretty tough to do accurately on Nintendo controllers. Not impossible, but not THIS easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DU0-3urZW8

Overall, highly recommended!!

whaddup fellow san francisco rush superfan :hf:

though i personally prefer rush 2 and 2049 to the original

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nephzinho posted:

Did anyone besides for me love Quest 64?

quest 64 is an objectively poo poo game that i still inexplicably liked. i even had much better jrpgs on my snes and ps1, so i dunno wtf. like i can list out all the reasons it's terrible but also still like playing it. kinda like sonic adventure.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Allen Wren posted:

I'm gonna say Square's worst games are FF8 (in the "ambitiously bad" category) and Ehrgeiz (in the "what were they thinking" category)

this is correct

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Star Man posted:

I'm trying to think of any really bad games that I owned that I or my parents spent money on.

Cyberia and Mega Man X7 are the only ones that really come to mind.

Cyberia is more or less completely forgotten and is a pre-rendered 3D adventure game in a cyberpunk setting. I only had it because it came with our first computer, and IBM Aptiva in 1995. But because it was published by Interplay, it also came with a shareware version of Descent. But I love the poo poo out Cyberia enough that the first LP I ever did was of that game and one of the two random goons I got to commentate on it by coincidence lived not far away from me and we're close friends now. So I got something out of it.

Mega Man X7 might be the worst video game I have ever spent my own money on and yet I don't have the same level of vitriol for it that it rightfully deserves. Axl sucks and the controls suck. The optimal way to play it is to unlock X as fast as you can and use him to clear out the stage and Zero to beat bosses because he doesn't need weapon energy to use them. Soundtrack's okay, at least. Somehow I can tolerate this game even though it's really bad to play, but one could argue that X6 is even worse.

bad games i own include ff8, sonic adventure (which i kinda like despite it being poo poo), sonic adventure 2 (see previous), sonic 2006, eternal sonata, star wars rogue squadron 3, mass effect 3, army of two: the devil's cartel, outpost, and some godawful dbz fighting game for the super famicom i don't know the actual name of cause it's in a language i don't understand

of those ff8 is far and away the worst, though army of two: tdc is impressively fuckin terrible in its own right as well and i feel it doesn't get enough credit for being as awful as it is. maybe 'cause nobody played it but still.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Allen Wren posted:

sure, "hilarious"

totally "hilarious" that I wasted an entire summer playing through it without really grasping what I was supposed to do such that the random encounters only got worse, happening more and more often...not knowing I had to draw spells from bosses (because you stock up on poo poo BEFORE you fight a boss, why would I spend rounds not buffing/debuffing, dealing damage or healing myself?) and basically winning fights by summoning GFs and breaking my thumb rapid-firing on the boost ability --- and then finding myself having saved my game on lunatic pandora right before the final fujin/raijin fight, which I could not beat, nor could I go back and grind up.

like sixty-plus hours in a summer where my mother would only let me play for like a half hour at a time before yelling at me to do some kind of a chore or just to go outside

my main issue was more with the story and characters, both of which were just the loving worst.

ff8 turned me away from the entire jrpg genre for over a decade. thank god persona 4 reminded me that i actually like jrpgs, though otoh that meant i subjected myself to eternal sonata so maybe that wasn't for the best.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Random Stranger posted:

Well, I think history shows you don't have to have decent acting or story to do well in ticket sales. You do have to be understandable, though. If people leave the theater saying, "What the gently caress was that?" that's a bad sign.

excuse me sir but clearly the secret to making lots of money with your cg movie is to have your lead cg 'actress' appear in a swimsuit in a magazine

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sir Tonk posted:

The movie looked amazing them it came out, but they really shouldn't have called it final fantasy. Up to that point, all the FF games had been very not sci-fi affairs.

i mean ff1 had a goddamn space station, so

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GreatGreen posted:

So I've been getting into Mega Man recently and had a question about the X series. How come X2 and X3 for SNES sell for $100+ each, but you can get the X collection on PS2 which has X1 - 4 for the cost of any regular old game?

Is it just that people want the authentic SNES experience or is there something wrong with the PS2 collection, gameplay-wise or something?

i bought a super famicom and started importing sfc games because american snes game prices are so fuckin stupid right now, just do that

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FireMrshlBill posted:

Can't you just remove the tabs on your SNES and play SFC games?

you can but the super famicom looks rad as hell.

especially if, like me, you buy a cib sfc, because it has the most baller-rear end box for any game system ever. it's a piece of art in its own right.

besides if you're going down the importing video games route, you might as well just go all the way with it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Breadallelogram posted:

I also made this purchase because I've never owned a SNES and the SFC was less expensive.

a good choice. also for the few snes games where you really need to read, you can just take apart a super famicom cart and swap the boards. it's what i do when i want to play any of the snes games i have since my snes is not with me right now.

my actual long-term goal involves learning japanese, which i start this fall. gonna take 6 quarters of it in college, prolly keep going afterward as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Turbinosamente posted:

The SNES market is why I have 11 games for it and 6 are SFC games, with almost none of the flagship titles for it (no Marios, Metroid, Megamans, Final Fantasy etc). I wouldn't have the system at all if I didn't stumble into one for $24 in a thrift store. I also don't bother looking at the SNES games in a game shop anymore.

i mean smw is still cheap as is super mario kart and they are both fuckin rad, you should really just pick them up

i also recommend smrpg even though it's pricier but i'm biased 'cause it's my favorite game ever

• Locked thread