Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'd like to ensure the first page has this handy gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VrxYChbu28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I dug through a drawer tonight and found an old, lovely USB composite/s-video capture device (an EasyCap variant). The Dreamcast was closest, so I plugged it in (composite, never bothered to get a s-video cable because I had VGA anyway), left de-interlace off and combined with my blistering 0.8mbps upload speed..well, fast games are not something I should attempt to stream, put it that way.

I've been streaming Snatcher for a friend lately, though and that's always enjoyable. I love that drat game to bits and being able to show it to someone for the first time is really neat.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah..I was testing it with JSR and camera movement made it devolve into RealPlayer quality. I need to gently caress around with the bitrate some, I'm pretty sure I can put it up a decent bit. Something to mess with over the weekend, if nothing else I guess!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

al-azad posted:

Although they probably won't, they're seriously done with Vita. 3.6 came out four months ago.

Firmware updates aren't really indicitive of how dead a system is. The PSP got vulnerability patching updates long after it was dead in the US/EU.

Though, meanwhile, Wii U 5.5.1 has been out since January and vulnerable since..oooh, March? and Nintendo haven't done a drat thing because it's deader than the Vita somehow.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Please do not learn a language exclusively to play retro video games with. Namaste.

This is a really dumb thing to say in this thread, in this subforum, on this website.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

You should at least read a book in the language, namaste.

I will use my Nihon-go skills to read many visual novels.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Harlock posted:

Finally something we can all agree on

It's true, Jupiter is far and away the best.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gotta Protectors loving owns.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Phantasy-Star-IV-4-Ozisoft-Australian-Sega-Mega-Drive-/162157910610?hash=item25c15d5a52:g:6wIAAOSwyLlXopWl

Heck.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Wouldn't it be neat if Nintendo gave a poo poo about Metroid?

Oh.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Really, any Metroid game that isn't Other M or Federation Force? Pretty good! Though I might be one of few that likes Prime Pinball.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm glad Nintendo is protecting the integrity of their really bad Rocket League/Left 4 Dead clone (yes I know that's not how IP protection works).

Really it's a wonder AM2R survived for, what seven years and two or three demos and actually came out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

BlastBall isn't the only mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VEuxCvpka8

I mean, I guess you could compare it to other four player co-op mission shooters, but hey.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://archive.org/details/nintendopower&tab=collection

:rip:

e: I should refresh pages

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Caitlin posted:

boy new threads sure do attract great new posters! :toot:

This sorta posting really doesn't help things either. Like, you can respond to that kind of post and all, refute it, whatever but just dismissing it with "heh, newcomers" is equally bad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

And the sane ones who do know about it shrug and go, "Well, it's not a good idea to behave quite so draconianly, but they're well within their rights and not really doing anything wrong."

Yeah.. It's poo poo, it sucks but they're totally able to do it and there's nothing really to be done about it, aside from whine and torrent them. Same as it ever was!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Remember to delete your Nintendo Power PDFs within 24 hours guys

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mace Bacon posted:

I just looked up eBay for an example:

Well, I didn't much feel like eating dinner anyway, I guess.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Kins posted:

The Internet Archive has updated its big in-browser emulation collection with 2000 Amiga games, demos and other programs. These are using the AROS kickstart substitute, so there'll probably be incompatibilities, but hey, Deluxe Paint in your browser. Cool, I guess.

Uh huuuh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I got Wizball to work, though if I accidentally scrolled the page the sound distorted. I tried a couple of Turrican sound disks but they didn't seem to do anything/the sound button just helpfully informed me it'd be available when the emulator was started.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Well...well then. Huh.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

That looks like poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm kinda jealous we didn't really have Gamefan/EGM etc over here, though I did mostly learn to swear from the Official Australian Playstation Magazine (sheltered household), where all the writers referred to their editor as the "Black Pig", so I guess there's at least that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

One thing is for sure, I hope we eventually end up with flash cart solutions for everything. I think we've got every Nintendo console covered n64 and older. Saturn needs a reliable solution (I think someone is selling one but it's pretty expensive and he's not producing that many) and I think we need one for Sega cd and 32x? I'd like to see some kind of psx one similar to the dream cast flash drive solution. I have a psx I keep around for this.

Well, someone is making a Saturn device that plugs into the card port and loads stuff off USB, and the SCD has no protection outside of reasoning (which is easily bypassed), at least. You can use an Everdrive MD to load 32X games, IIRC.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A dead Divers Dreamcast would make a really gnarly fishbowl.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

I don't want to think about a world where Symphony of the Night got axed because it wasn't lovely ps1 era 3D. :ohdear:

Imagine CV64 but with vertex swimming.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah. There's a huge variety in long plays, too, from super skilled people showing off to guys just muddling through as a basic walkthrough.

Or standing in Mike Dawson's bathroom for minutes, constantly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Well, that sucks but at least it's been out there for a while.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

al-azad posted:

And that's why I don't understand the appeal. Professional athletes aren't bouncing from one sport to another. Every time a new "Magic killer" comes out people go right back to Magic. So what's the point of a new fighter when it's intentionally designed to be familiar?

I mean if you want to take that example, look at Formula One. Things like DRS get added and adjusted, power/weight limitations and such change every year. Think of different versions of Street Fighter like that. As for different series, well they're different sports/leagues. I can't stand SF or Skullgirls, but I like KOF and Tekken, for instance.

d0s posted:

im gonna print thsi out & frame it

Charagen, tag matches, customization, different singleplayer modes/etc all own

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

d0s posted:

yeah extras are dope but I don't feel like for example RBFFS (one of my favorite fighters) is any less of a game for having exactly none of those things

Totally fair, I'm just more of a vs CPU guy because I'm bad at games and also live in Australia with shitass ADSL2, so netcode is only just getting to the point where it's like, playable at all.

al-azad posted:

Speaking of Formula One, the series is something I want to get into but there are conflicting opinions that F1 2014 is the best because it was the last game with a full career mode. 2015 is regarded as stripped down garbage while 2016 has the career mode but male only.

I have..11, 12 and 13, and I think there's a copy of 14 floating around here somewhere (might be PSN on my dad's PS3) but from what I remember that's about right. I'd keep an eye out for sales and stuff. It also helps if you have a wheel. We have a DrivingForce GT, used to have a G25 and now we have the newer Logitech one, they're all pretty solid. Though, I mostly use my GT for Truck Sim, these days..

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, I have an old EasyCap lying around but mine (there's a few different ones that all look the same but have different chipsets) doesn't support PAL60, which sucks. Makes me wish my DTV1000T didn't hate Windows 10 so much.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What's PSO like these days?

Aged. You'd probably want to play it on a server with boosted rates, but it's still fun with friends.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

The writing that was there is dreadful even by the usual low standards of video games. Every line is a clunker and the story revolves around using orcs as a metaphor for Native Americans. They've been placed on reservations and are having their fighting spirit sapped by drinking lots of alcohol provided by the Alliance (that's the human side in Warcraft, right? I don't care enough to actually look it up).

That sounds about par for Blizzard writing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

For all your best Virtual Boy game needs: http://www.sydlexia.com/top100vb.htm

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cloks posted:

El psy kangaroo.

this is the will of steve's gate

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Kid Fenris posted:

Final Fantasy VIII is funnier than Earthbound.

...whatever.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I remember being super proud for being able to do Emerald Hill Zone Act 1 in 21 seconds, hitting jumps perfectly and so on..then looking up the record and aw dammit.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mega Turrican doesn't have those god awful top-down stages, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I miss my hacked PSP. Played the Mother 3 translation on it while waiting at the laundromat. Dunno why I got rid of it.

What are some must plays on the PSP?

Just gonna list off some stuff what I think is good and all.

Ace Combat X
Brandish: The Dark Revenant
Final Fantasy IV Complete
Gitaroo Man Lives
Gods Eater Burst
Harvest Moon: Boy and Girl
Kenka Bancho
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Mega Man Powered Up
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
Phantasy Star Portable 2/Infinity
Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero?