Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Heavy cavalry in modernish times would be Libyan tanks stranded in the Sahara waiting for fuel and ammo while light cavalry would be Chadian irregulars running over their supply lines deep in the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyAsfo6rEz0

This looks dope as hell. As far as I can tell it's set during the Three Kingdoms era but I can't tell what's made up and what's historical from the limited online sources I could find.

It looks kinda like the rise of the Qin dynasty.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

What was the most efficient way to kill Germans on a strategic level in ww2?

waiting 100 years

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

here, phone pics

It's a long bayo

Good thing it's not saw-toothed, we would have to shoot you for having it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

he starts a rebellion because a woman exists

So did Adam

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tunicate posted:

So how did Roman procurement work from the perspectives of the legionaires? If a soldier lost his gladius, what happened next?

Decimation

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nenonen posted:

The name of the operation wouldn't be secret afterwards, so whether you tell it to the grieving families or not they will find out when they read in the papers that their son and 500 others died in Op. Drunken Blunder.

Ah yes, the Gallipoli campaign.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

It's funny how youtube thinks that the next videos I want to watch are Nazi propaganda.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Do US troops still have to wait for contractors to show up before they can get hot food?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

bewbies posted:

This...hasn't ever been the case? Most company/battery/troop size units have a couple of cooks and a mobile kitchen. They actually make some pretty good stuff.

It was apparently a problem in the initial invasion
of Iraq, at least I remember it being reported as such. Troops would get to where they were stationed and be stuck eating MREs because the contractors that were to provide food and laundry didn't show up because it was too dangerous.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

I came across this thread on Twitter

https://mobile.twitter.com/genezubovich/status/1042080426871771136

I'm wondering, what are some of the best historical military jokes?

other than the nazi procurement process. Actual jokes people would tell each other please

It's not on that list, but here's one.

A man is waiting in line at the butcher's shop. He eventually reaches the front of the line, only to be told that they have run out of meat. "This is ridiculous!" he shouts. "I am a veteran. A worker. My father died for the motherland! And you're telling me that I can't have any meat!!"

A man in a trenchcoat takes him by the arm, and says, "Do not carry on so much, comrade. In the old days..." he puts his fingers up and points it at the man. "Bang!"

The man returns home empty handed. His wife says, "What's wrong? Are they out of meat?"

"Even worse," he replies. "They are out of bullets."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

And you just pile battalions together into a division, with no reference to regiments or brigades. In real life chain of command within the division is not a trivial matter.

Been playing Ultimate General Civil War and I just mash my brigades together with no regards to division and corps organization. It's much easier to win when you have a bird's eye view of the map and can send orders instantly with a few clicks.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tias posted:

Tell us about hard to remove traps

or better, rear end in a top hat surprise traps!

The classic one is capsaicin inside a sandwich labelled clearly with your name on it in the breakroom fridge.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

On the pensions thing, did surviving Confederate soldiers get a pension? Like... Their country that was paying them disappeared (confederate secession), or they were gun toting criminals (if the Confederacy never properly left), so did they just get told to go home and be a family man?

I think the individual states provided pensions for them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

i liked the book, i hated the stanford prison experiment and i believe it was a sham. it's a shame such a good book relies on such a terrible "study," and it's a shame that study was used as it was elsewhere

Zimbardo is a lunatic, surprised he is taken so seriously.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Shellfire just is the much more likely event since there are a lot fewer attacks than barrages. I would be extremely leery to count on the enemy to wait for me to surrender rather than just bombing the dugout and moving on.

I remember Barthas and his buddies captured a German dugout, the men were happy to surrender, although the German commanding officer had apparently caught a bad case of shovel to the back of the head before they arrived.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cessna posted:

Did they result to cannibalism due to their lack of 3D vision?

Carpathian front was pretty grim, yeah.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

bewbies posted:

gonna take the hardline conservative stance here and say that vandalizing things is bad

On the one hand, the Vandals wrecked the infrastructure of Hispania pretty thoroughly. On the other hand, they did establish a stable regime in North Africa. Pity they got steamrolled by the Arab conquests, though. Or not, depending on who you ask.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I believe it was some dumb kid who thought it was funny.

Well, he was right. Googly eyes are funny.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I mean, maybe some of the British ones? The Continental Army lost most of its standup fights.

There was another American general who consistently thwarted the British with vastly inferior forces. I'm only halfway through the Revolutionary War history, but I'm sure this Benedict Arnold fellow has a fine career ahead of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Libluini posted:

How strange then, that Britain immediately prepared to snatch up as much of all German colonies as they could, especially in Africa, where they had an agreement to not do this before the war.

That was mandated by the League! Britain had no choice in the matter. A terrible burden.