Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Most teams I've seen running soak gimmicks use Tapu Fini. I think the existence of Tapu Fini (and Milotic) in general is part of the reason Primarina doesn't show up as much in VGC.

Unless I'm reading your statement wrong or Tapu Fini taking a lot of damage is a gimmick I think you're using two different meanings of soak since an AV primarina would not be able to use the move soak.

That said I really want either Tapu Fini or Primarina to have some form of good recovery move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

Primarina gets rest and aqua ring, or are those not considered good for this?

Also looking at Sparkling Aria - what's the point of this? I'd just rather take Scald, and if the 10 extra bp matters there's Surf.

rest-talk is ok but limits your options and aqua ring is basically not good.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

It cures the burn. Status orbs only activate if you don't have a status already, which is why it's The Good poo poo to hit a Gliscor with a Will O' Wisp on the switch in.

i have knocked a toxic orb out of a gliscor's filthy claws on the switch in, which also felt good.

hey guys dont switch your awful gliscor into [extremely long list of pokemon that can feasibly use knock off]

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

My current Pokemon Sun team is composed of Ribombee, Decidueye, Hariyama, Dugtrio, Golem (Alolan Form), and Slowpoke. I'm really happy with it, but I'm going to have to retire Slowpoke for a while. Maaaaarrrrrk is destined to be a Slowking, and that won't happen for a while. I don't want to risk accidentally letting him become a Slowbro every time he levels up, but giving him an Everstone means taking away his Quick Claw.

So, I need a new Pokemon to replace him, with an emphasis on good type coverage. There are a bunch of other water/psychics, but I wanted a change. My first thought was Gyarados, but it turns out it only learns one Flying-Type move, and is incompatible with every Flying TM. So, any suggestions for the new recruit? I'm up to route 16 on Ula'Ula Island.

Gyarados's coverage is actually pretty good if you ignore that he can't use any flying move effectively aside from Bounce.

My strong recommendation is Sharpedo although you have to teach it its strongest water moves, since the only water move it learns by leveling up is aqua jet.

Sharpedo's move pool is pretty crazy though. Earthquake, Poison Fang (ok at 50 bp this one's a bit of a stretch), Ice Fang, Crunch, Rock Tomb, Waterfall :getin:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 20, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
There's some goons out there who would recommend Lanturn or Whiscash I think. They are also meritworthy and neat.

Obviously if you use a Whiscash, it must hold an amulet coin.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i tried my best to stay in the lines here

(also i lied on fire, flying, electric, bug and a few other types i can't think of right now)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Blooming Brilliant posted:

For my luck with a shiny Limber Ditto the other day, just caught a shiny Drizzle Pelipper with +Spd -SpD which isn't bad.

Anyone got any name suggestions?

At first I thought "Mega Farfetch'd" but then I realized that it was destined to be named "Quackman Jones".

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 28, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zoran posted:

bug team

I'm not fond of a purely defensive/supportive m-scizor set in general but it's certainly a place to go given the tools available. It's a good balanced team for sure.

I'd also consider m-beedril or m-pinsir in m-scizor's place. It leaves you with only one hazard remover which is risky since your team is very vulnerable to rocks, but it lets you keep accumulating momentum on a team that is mostly offensively oriented while scizor often costs you momentum with that set.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 28, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dienes posted:

Now I know what I am nicknaming all of mine!

It made for a pretty good ubers set name theme (I'm the guy getting stomped).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ruggington posted:

how do you not get stomped by a guy with a custom goku sprite

he's the owner of smogon and i think every mod was watching

that was when i spiked to the top 20 or so of XY ubers (out of what, like, maybe 300 people who actually play ubers? :negative:)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

cancerianmoth posted:

However that could be an excuse to promote trickroom- BUT then they don't do anything to help trick room along like an item ala heat rock/smooth stone.

missed this post earlier but trick room is in the best place it's been for a long time this generation. VGC2017 matches have mons setting and unsetting trick room instead of just playing around it. Porygon2 is insanely prevalent even on teams that don't focus on TR just because it can reliably mess with the opponent's TR. In singles Trick Room is doing insanely well in the 6v6 ladder, probably the best it's done since gen 5 with Reuniclus and Bronzong.

Vikavolt and Alolan Marowak are monsters in Trick Room. This would be the best generation for Mega Ampharos, if only Ampharosite existed (also Mawilite).

Trick room is such a powerful effect that lasting for 3 more turns would be potentially insanely overpowered, because how well a pokemon performs in trick room can be adjusted for each pokemon on an individual basis, rather than in a preset fashion like synergystic abilities/typings for weather.

Also there is an item for trick room - Mental Herb :haw:.

spit on my clit posted:

they should make giga regigigas and make his ability slow terrain, which is just trick room, while keeping the effects of slow start

yknow what thats a terrible idea, so i know what to expect if they pay attention to my boy

do not make trick room even less preventable than it already is, looking at basically unpreventable trick room setters like the grumpy ape, the computer duck, a witch, or the cute clockwork girl (this one isn't usable in vgc or battle spot of course)

actually do this to make it easier to unset trick room

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 29, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

Double taunt lead

Taunt on Tapu Lele, so your taunt users can't be Faked Out.

Unless your other taunt user is Gyarados, don't do that.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Does NOTHING one-shot oranguru?

Tapu Bulu and Vikavolt definitely can, but fake out protection is a thing, and it also depends on the Oranguru's defensive spread for special attackers. Golisopod's First Impression is also a potential ohko but that's not really reliable.

That's why Porygon2 is better in a lot of ways, barring taunt vulnerability.

Crosspeice posted:

It's a bullshit reason and I think Pokemon games are mired too much in developers that care more about the experience~

If "the experience" also includes the reason that the dex is filled with unusable trash that you encounter early in the game I agree.

Give us Staraptor again, who has returned to his rightful place as the king of early bird mountain (although he contends with the brave challenger Mega Pidgeot).

Also I want the triumphant return of Emerald's Battle Frontier or B2W2's Pokemon World Tournament.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 29, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

leftist heap posted:

I have a perfect, bold Mareanie with merciless, is it worth it to try and catch one with regenerator instead for Super Singles? Regenerator seems to be *the* ability people use on Toxapex, but I really don't switch out much in Battle Tree. Maybe I should be switching out more? Merciless seems fine paired with baneful bunker and maybe toxic spikes.

merciless is pretty useless on mareanie/toxapex, its direct damage is pitiful.

baneful bunker and toxic spikes are also just mostly worse versions of toxic, the overall best set for Toxapex is Scald/Haze/Recover/Toxic.

switching out is pretty much required if you get taunted by something that's not afraid of scald burns.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 29, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

if they can make contests as fun as they were in gen 3, i'd want them back, but i think maybe that also requires me to be a middle school student with too much time on my hands to be true

so invent time travel gamefreak

that's celebi's power

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ubers is pretty niche, since OU is what everyone plays

Ubers is fun though.

That said Pheromosa dominates OU and has a presence in VGC, so it's not very niche.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 30, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

i thought phermosa got banned to ubers, dang the tapus must be doing more work then i thought

while pheromosa is good, vulnerability to priority means you're going to be predictably using it along with tapu lele and it's completely walled by toxapex or alolan marowak.

tapus don't handle it too well since it almost always packs poison jab.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

I like Tapu Fini, even if she's the least meta-killing tapu.

this may not be true any more, since she is a very good stall breaker, and both vgc and ou have seen the rise of stall (and trick room) recently

tapu koko on the other hand is probably becoming the least used one.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm was pretty surprised that Gladion turned out to be one of the best characters in this game.

I was not surprised since Viral was the best character in Gurren Lagann.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
mega metagross is also pretty good, as it turns out

psychic type moves suck if they're not fired off with STAB in psychic terrain so i dont even know why you'd want to go out of your way to carry them.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
C'mon TPCI know your own game

source: https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/29d5abd6-bddc-4b65-a99f-f332bba6b1fb

Battle of Alola Retrospective posted:

Moongeist Beam has the added effect of ignoring the effect of the target’s Ability, most notably opposing Lunala’s Shadow Shield and Mimikyu’s Disguise. Perhaps the move that most separated top Trainers from the rest of the field was Roost. Only 28.7% of the Lunala used in the competition overall were taught Roost, but five of the six Lunala in the top 10 were taught this key healing move.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Anyway trapping abilities are fundamentally broken but different formats change "how broken" this can be.

Smogon's clauses also have literal no meaning if you don't play on sims and if you do then you can always play in the suspect tests to save whatever you want to try to save.

Ubers is the best format because it has enough broken pokemon that you can see a good amount of variety, like, primal groudon has like 4 different sets :haw:. Pokemon basically comes down to what kind of degeneracy you want to play with (like don't even pretend gastrodon toxic stalling and seeding your own pokemon with Celesteela in VGC is not degenerate) and personally I embrace the degeneracy that is Ho-Oh, Arceus, and Primal Groudon (Mega Rayquaza vacate).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 13, 2017

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
edit not quote

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
claydol quickbanned to ubers for contests in gen 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

nrook posted:

But there's a harder problem, too. Most Alakazams don't run HP Ice, right? But if your opponent switches in Alakazam immediately after your Garchomp KOs somebody, it's much more likely to hold HP Ice than if your opponent switches in another Pokemon and leaves Zam in reserve. Getting the bot to figure this out is a really hard problem, and I'm inclined to shelve it until it can't be avoided.

The human heuristic for this scenario would be to look at what else he had on preview (i.e. analyze for team coverage) and calculate for dazzling gleam.

Although I imagine in most scenarios if you just did calculations for the most popular sets on any pokemon you could probably be fine.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 14, 2017